Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The best part about Bioware threads is all the DA2 apologists coming out of the woodwork every 2-3 pages :suicide:

precision posted:

It's baffling because Inquisition actually improved the interface for playing the game in overhead "pause mode"... and I beat the game without ever needing to use it.
What? No it didn't, at least not on PC. DAI "tactical" camera was an atrocity compared to the one in DAO.

The Crotch posted:

How difficult do you want the lone spider/wolf/hyena that wanders into your path every 45 seconds to be?
Haha, this but with bears. Because bears with the "make bears stronger" trial and the level-sync trial take forever to kill and for some quests the game spawns several at once :laffo:

Also every second mook just having a fuckton of hitpoints in barrier and guard sure was great.

Transmogrifier posted:

If you play DAI on PC, there is a mod where you can unlock all the doors at the ball. It does so by reducing the requirements for some of the doors. Not sure how well it works still.
There's also a savegame editor that lets you edit the number of Hallas still in your inventory, in case you want to cheat the doors but you're already at the ball and now it's too late for the mod :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The plight of mages, you mean each and every one of them (that's not in your party) turning to blood magic, then into abominations? Yeah that sure is intriguing!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

It's also not true. You just don't see many of the others until they're about to be murdered, because they've been imprisoned for life by the templars.

If DA2 actually wanted to show nuances in the templar vs mage conflict it should probably have some non-insane mages for a start. "They exist and they're majorly oppressed, sure you almost exclusively encounter the evil ones but just take our word for it" is just really dumb.

At least that stupid "conflict" got better in DAI.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can still pick up DA2 and the gameplay flows fine. Origins gameplay feels like watching a snail now.

Origins was important for the world building, but if, say, DA2 was the base game and Origins was its sequel, I think it would have been received just as poorly as DA2, being praised for the multiple character design options and world building, but lambasted for the combat.
Gameplay flows fine holy poo poo :lol:

DAO sold great and was well received as a modern take on Bioware's classics Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. It achieved what it set out to do, even though there was room for improvements. It's "slow" because that's the point, and there are plenty of mods to fix perceived and real combat issues. DA2's entire trick is being a "sequel" to DAO so EA could use the first game's popularity and established setting as a shortcut for a new series of action RPGs with more console-compatible combat and Mass Effect companion/talk elements. Because Dragon Age = $ and Mass Effect = $ so Dragon Age + Mass Effect = $$$ (also do it in 18 months because).

Reversing them doesn't work because now the quickstart cashgrab needs to set up its lore from scratch and it can't piggyback on a successful game except possibly as a "fantasy Mass Effect" spinoff. The game didn't sell well with the established DA name, it probably would have sold worse without. If they follow that up with "DA2 Origins", Bioware is going back to the roots of Baldur's Gate and NWN. Again. Fans who want a new Bioware classic after a bunch of action RPGs will possibly be excited and still buy it, even if you tie the now much less powerful Dragon Age name to it. Origins came after lighter RPGs like Mass Effect, Jade Empire and KotOR, if you add Dragon Age Not-2 to that list, it doesn't change the perspective of Origins much.

There's always going to be weirdos who will miss the GIGGLESQUEE and hate how BUTTONS are not AWESOME anymore, but like that PC Gamer review of DA2, they're just not worth taking seriously.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dragon Age was always Fantasy Mass Effect. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Just replace "Spectre" with "Grey Warden"
No. That's superficial but also wrong. Both games are KotOR. Dragon Age is fantasy KotOR. Mass Effect is KotOR without Star Wars. And before them Jade Empire was KotOR in East Asia.

The latter two games were even designed as console action RPGs first, like KotOR. Mechanically, DAO is clearly a different game than Mass Effect because it emphasizes the D&D-like RPG stuff from Baldur's Gate and NWN.

Basically this:

exquisite tea posted:

I think Origins might have even gone into development before Mass Effect. It had a very long incubation period. Its narrative similarities have more to do with Bioware's own tendencies, the "you're part of this super secret order of badasses, go to these three places then win the game" was their winning formula from KOTOR onward.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bioware Thread: Drama Queen Edition

precision posted:

Back on topic, I forgot just how drat pretty Inquisition is. Even the Hinterlands, as boring as the zone is, looks good and is actually designed in a really natural and cool way. It feels very much like a "real place", and I'd say 3/4 of the zones accomplish that.

It's too bad there's no day/night cycles in DAI because I'd love to do some daytime exploration in Hissing Wastes. At least it would keep me there longer - instead, it's another zone that's too large for its own good and there's not even anything plot related here. The first time I tried to do some sidequests and find the collectathon doodads but at some point I just hosed off and on replays I'll never even go there in the first place.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 16, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The Hissing Wastes are extremely good Imho and frankly being disconnected to a degree from the DAI plot is a big part of this.

I just want to have a mount that's actually usable for that place. Or the MAKO, that works too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I think I'm one of the half dozen people in the world who actually liked the Mako. The issue was the environments it was in, not the tank itself, I think. Once you got used to the thing's incredibly bizarre relationship with physics, at any rate.

I liked it after playing ME on PC because that didn't have Halo vehicle controls (drive where you're looking). Before that, I was not a big fan but it grew on me. But yeah, the maps had too many sharp edges, if any tiny part of the Mako connected it would just turn around 180° degrees in an instant. The very first time I played ME I also spent way too much time trying to find paths up steep mountains while a gently sloped path was leading up the hill on the opposite side of it :doh:

Also, the booster upgrade you can add with the console on PC should be the default.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Once you did enough gathering to upgrade it fully. It's awful to start.

And why the hell is 4WD a thing you have to turn on holy moly :wtchris:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Putting the Bioware name on Anthem is just baffling. I can't understand why they'd do it.

Yeah it's hilarious. This is like the opposite of when EA intended to make Bioware their RPG/MMO studio brand and reorganized studios and their names as such (created "Bioware" Austin for SWTOR, renamed Mythic to Bioware Mythic for about three years). Maybe Bioware will take off again, as a lifestyle shooter studio :hfive:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

ME3 MP proved it can work as long as the combat is really fun, but that's a heck of a conditional.

After DAI MP and MEA MP I think ME3 MP was just a fluke.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cosmetics are a major point both for the people playing the games with those options as well as for the publishers selling cosmetics for their game - in this regard cosmetics ARE gameplay.

So no, cosmetic microtransactions/lootboxes should not get an exemption just because they don't make your ingame character more powerful.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 19, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Obviously relations matter, in a game where you never even see your orange dude with a blue gun and the dudes you're shooting are color coded or you barely see them form 100m away before they or you die, cosmetics don't matter much. There are plenty of games where this is not the case though.

Also in your example the shop having the exact same gun as you just 20% stronger did not add new gameplay either. You can buy it and do the exact same thing. Yay strawman arguments :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:yeah:

If your game absolutely needs microtransactions, make them cosmetics so your Russian oligarch friend can't just pay thousands for guns that shoot twice as good etc.

However, if your game is supposed to have meaningful cosmetic customization, the microtransactions have to be an option among many. Don't design a cosmetics "metagame" around customization that's primarily or even exclusively tied to RMT stuff like Destiny 2 or Guild Wars 2 having barely any new armors and weapons outside the cash shop for the longest time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something doesn't have to "add" gameplay to be part of gameplay. If a game has an intricate customization system and expects players to use it, that is part of the gameplay even though it's not directly a part of eg. the basic "shoot dudes" loop.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

So that confirms da4 is real, right...? Things are looking up...?

Have you seen the recent output of EA?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is Andromeda better or worse than DA2, hype aside? Because it sounds like most people's issues with DA2 eventually just boiled down to reused assets, while Andromeda had... a bunch of other problems.

That's not the only problem with DA2, no. Is it this time of the thread again? "DA2 is not actually that bad guys" :v:

ME:A wastes its premise almost immediately and almost every aspect of the game is thoroughly :mediocre:, but it's not aggressively bad like DA2. The only reason DA2 is "important" for the following game is because they took some of the actually good characters and some DLC plot development out of the terrible game and put them into a better one, but you could do the same with characters/plot from a novel. When it's not just awful like the mageocaust plot or the hilariously bad city, visuals and combat, the rest of DA2 is as forgettable and ultimately pointless as rebooting a sci-fi series in a different galaxy then doing everything exactly the same way again.

E: I'll agree DA2's best characters are better than ME:A's best characters, but it still had plenty of bad ones (also companions).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 24, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The one way DA2 is better is the game is often unintentionally funny in a "trainwrecks are fun to watch" sort of way, so I can see the entertainment value.

MEA had some funny glitches (many of which have been patched since) but it usually evokes the feeling of "what is this lame poo poo, :frogout:"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I’m glad they didn’t do that. One game with them as the protagonists was cool, but it’d have been lame if the whole series was just stopping blights over and over.

AFAIK there’s not even a “all the dlc included” version of the games for pc. They’re old, let people have it EA

I think they're selling DLC bundles on Origin now (before, you'd have to buy Bioware points first) but for hilarious prices considering the content is thousands of years old.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do you gigglesquee yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

For the first time in my life I have a PC that doesn't suck.

Really annoyed with Origin because I only really care to buy DA 2 and DAI for PC and of course they are both only available from there. Steam and GOG both have frequent sales but that isn't common for Origin so far as I know. To get DA 2 + DLC would cost me about $50. It's ridiculous. I like the game but I'm frugal and this offends my sensibilities.

And I only want to buy Inquisition because I can now cheat my way past all the gameplay and just see different story routes. If there is one thing Inquisition did right, it was the dialogue wheel and characterizing the PC. I wanna see more of that as I only beat the game once because I hated the combat so much.

At least they're occasionally selling the everything-edition of DAI for like 20 bucks. DA2 alone might be $5 often but the DLC bundle is ridiculously expensive for its quality and age (I guess it beats having to buy it for Bioware points?). I mean, not like DA2 is worth playing :v: but yeah, $50 is hilarious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Underrated, maybe in opposite world.

Darker. Sexier. Better.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Alternative opinion: All Witcher games are rather mediocre with their only real selling point being tits.
It's rather funny to me that a few pages back in this thread people were accusing Bioware of fanservice, when CD Project is the one who had nude renders of Triss in playboy. Have to hand it to them though, they know what their target audience wants.
:psyduck:

Witcher 1 I could understand somewhat (but you can also just ignore the sex cards, I don't know) but if you're saying that about TW2 and TW3, it say a lot more about you than about the games... Did you even play any of them?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The gigglesquee LP was really good though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not even Mass Effect 1-3 had controller support on PC even though the series started as a console exclusive, it's really funny.

However, DAO wasn't originally a game designed with consoles in mind. I'll give you DA2 though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You mean DAI combat was DAO combat, except worse.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I want DA4 so much but I got burned hard by bioware after getting hyped for ME:A please don't hurt me again

Well one of the things they claimed Anthem has over Andromeda was how much better their post-release support is going to be with a game that's set up to be "live" from the beginning. That on top of a series with features like "DLC ad NPC in camp" and "real ending in 3rd DLC", I'm expecting great things :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What about midichlorians?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh no. They can do open world with lootboxes, and possibly new and exciting live elements instead :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just move stats to jewelry or something else we don't see and keep visible armor for cosmetic customization.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha wow this article. It's worse than I thought.

Also Frostbite is... biting all the EA studios in the butt (as long as they're not DICE I guess) :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails — it’s poorly documented, hacked together, and so on — with all the problems of an externally sourced engine [...] Nobody you actually work with designed it, so you don’t know why this thing works the way it does, why this is named the way it is." sounds like the difficulty is very much due to the engine itself and the way support works (or rather, doesn't) within EA.

If "share knowledge" across studios working with one common engine isn't actually happening because "get hosed, your project isn't expected to bring in FIFA levels of money", the only advantage of using the in-house engine is keeping cost down. Except it probably cost way, way more in the end to have to reinvent the wheel (twice, at least!) for required tools and features and deal with all the headaches of Frostbite over using a 3rd party engine that's better known and better supported.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To some extent that's management failure, but I figure not all tools they made for DAI translated well from party based RPG to online loot shooter, and at the time they made the DAI tools they didn't know what Anthem was going to be and need anyway. Of course, why Anthem tools would be better suited for DA4 than DAI or MEA tools, who knows. Can't wait for DA4, the online cooperative loot RPG with Bioware Story(TM)

Wait, that almost exists with games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and similar games. Why isn't anyone making THOSE anymore?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

no they want to resolve the conflict between creator and created, that's all they ever wanted to do and that's what mass effect is really about. not reading replies to this!

Nice.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd like them to do both. Wait. They did try your idea. By making the quest bears have even more hitpoints than regular bears which are already harder to kill than the other respawning enemies :v:

Nephthys posted:

I'll throw a bit more into the "Witcher 3 gets idealised too much" position. I think people are forgetting how many of those goddamn buried treasure markers there are. And there are "read a note, go to a thing and get reward" quests too. Most of their actual quests do have at least some effort involved, but there's still an abundance of filler too.

The buried treasures are a trap for people with extreme OCD because after the first few every normal person should realize they're worthless, IIRC some devs didn't even want to include them and you're definitely not meant to collect them all. Sure, it's unfortunate they exist that way, but they're 100% optional stuff you don't ever need to touch if you don't want to (like certain doodad collections in Assassin's Creed games - just skip the stuff if it's not fun jfc).

Now let me tell you about DAI shards :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Too bad it was still a bad game lol
ME2 had some cool setpieces and character moments (too bad half the characters suck), but the dumb covershooting and the overarching REAPERSSS!!!! plot dragged everything down for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Trying to play Alpha Protocol like a proper third person (cover) shooter just leads to frustration, combat in AP is more like magic abilities - you don't stealth by sneaking and hiding, you stealth by using an ability that literally turns you invisible, and the pistol skill lets you one-shot up to 3 people from cover every time it's up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

This minigame was developed with a gamepad in mind. You'd use stickers and thumbs and this is the same motion. Doing the same thing with a keyboard and mouse feels very awkward. Kinda like trying to draw a circle with your right hand and a square with the other.

It doesn't help that the mouse input is all hosed up as it tries to be a d-pad/stick. The minigames are alright as a concept IMO but the controls are horrible (lockpicking is easy with a mouse but bad with a controller, for hacking it's the other way around).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
upgradevehicle 6 vehthrusterforcebooster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't need to cheat omni gel because you can turn all the drops into gel if you're already cheating money to avoid dealing with gear :confused:

I mean that's the natural order in that game once you're up to level 7 gear or w/e, full inventory -> you can turn all weapons into omni gel -> never have to play the hacking minigame anymore. Cheats just speed it up. ME1 is my favourite game also because of how customizable it is through INI edits/cheats (if you really hate yourself you can even turn on friendly fire). I hate cover shooters so I never replayed ME2 nearly as much and ME3 is trash full stop.

It's too bad they hosed up MEA as much as they did but I'm sure they'll get better for the next DA :haw: