Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Torrannor posted:

I think Bioware did a pretty good job with setting up Solas. He's one of your initial three party members, meaning you will automatically use him quite a bit in the beginning. He's also a natural fit for some story missions. Why wouldn't you bring Solas to the Temple of Mythal? I know several people reported they barely used him at all in their first playthrough and so were surprised at the (initial) ending, but I think they were in the minority.
What amused me was that when I first met him, I assumed he was going to be the tutorial-guy who is going to die to showcase how serious things were. I was surprised how he slowly evolved into an unofficial chancellor role for me where I'd go to him for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

Cori at some point says the city was already black when they got there. Also could be wrong here but doesn’t the red lyrium idol (which we know is just blighted lyrium) predate the blights?

Oh right, that's true. The lyrium idol raises a lot of questions. It notably didn't blight it's environment the same way as the "current" red lyrium does, but it's corrupting/tainting all the same.

In regards to the Black City, that's a very murky situation. The Chantry claims the city turned black the instant the Magisters entered the Fade, so it could still have been golden before they crossed the Veil. My pet theory is that the Taint either originates with the Old Gods or the Evanuris that were imprisoned in the Fade, as a weapon to help them return to the material world. Which is why they spent so much effort convincing the Magisters to go to the Black City.

But in any case, I still can't remember any instance of the Arlathan elves being blighted, as you said here:

Oh dear me posted:

We know that the elves/Arlathan were being infected by the blight much earlier and that red lyrium is blight-infected Titan blood.

Yes, the red lyrium idol is apparently a pre-Black City manifestation of the Taint/Blight But it's not actually connected to the Arlathan elves.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody bought it.

While that’s true it can’t be because of that - PoE2 has it’s keep analogue, you can import a save, pick a preset or generate your own.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Torrannor posted:

I still can't remember any instance of the Arlathan elves being blighted, as you said here:

It was I who said that, and I was assuming the same interpretation (esp. concerning Andruil) as in the earlier post by Ginette Reno:

quote:

some of the murals in Mythal's temple show Elves battling what look like might be Darkspawn iirc. And there's an Elven story about Andruil (one of the Elf gods) getting corrupted by the Void and basically going nuts until Mythal calmed her down.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Golden city turning black could just be a matter of the city being made to *appear* golden as bait by whatever is trapped inside, and then lapsing to its true form when the seal is broken and there is no longer any need to lure in hapless magisters. This would square with what Corypheus said.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Oh dear me posted:

It was I who said that, and I was assuming the same interpretation (esp. concerning Andruil) as in the earlier post by Ginette Reno:

Hmm, these are strong points. But it's strange that it can't have been the struggle of all non-blighted life against the Blight that it is today. This is very suggestive, but still no proof that the Blight predates the Magisters entering the Fade :cheeky:

But I admit, it sounds more likely than not. So, what do you think? Was it an early, not as "virulent" form of the Blight? Did it get amplified when locked away in the Fade?

One thing I could imagine is that life previously had more resistance to the Blight. The elves didn't just lose their immortality when Solas created the Veil, they also became weaker and more sickly. This could explain why life post-Veil is more susceptible to being corrupted by the Blight. Because I can't imagine losing direct contact with the Fade only affected the elves, it must have change all life on Thedas.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Yes of course, but this just seems to me like the sort of detail that might be wrong. We know that the elves/Arlathan were being infected by the blight much earlier and that red lyrium is blight-infected Titan blood. We also know that if the Chantry could pick only one scapegoat for anything, it would be Tevinter mages.

Right. That's why I theorized that Solas locked the source of the Blight into the Black City. It kills two birds with one stone. He locks the rear end in a top hat Elven Mages in the Fade and locks the Blight in there with them.

Maybe he isn't able to lock all of it in there. There's Red Lyrium deep beneath the Earth, but everything top side is gone by Solas' actions up until the Magisters invade the Fade, bring it back, and start the Blights.

My working theory is that it wasn't the Old Gods that lured the Tevinter Magisters into the Fade but the trapped/dreaming Elven Gods. They did so with the hope that Men entering the Fade would be able to free them from their prisons. Or that the Old Gods somehow hold the key to bringing down the Veil and the Blighted men/darkspawn corrupting and getting those Dragons killed is what the Elves hope will eventually free them. So they lure men into the Fade so that men will return to Thedas corrupted and go get all the Old Gods killed which will free them from their prisons.

I admit the latter theory is a bit of a leap of faith though since an unchecked blight could easily lead to the end of the world so the Elven Gods would be going out on an awfully big limb if that's how they're trying to get freed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I want DA4 so much but I got burned hard by bioware after getting hyped for ME:A please don't hurt me again

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ginette Reno posted:

Right. That's why I theorized that Solas locked the source of the Blight into the Black City. It kills two birds with one stone. He locks the rear end in a top hat Elven Mages in the Fade and locks the Blight in there with them.

Maybe he isn't able to lock all of it in there. There's Red Lyrium deep beneath the Earth, but everything top side is gone by Solas' actions up until the Magisters invade the Fade, bring it back, and start the Blights.

My working theory is that it wasn't the Old Gods that lured the Tevinter Magisters into the Fade but the trapped/dreaming Elven Gods. They did so with the hope that Men entering the Fade would be able to free them from their prisons. Or that the Old Gods somehow hold the key to bringing down the Veil and the Blighted men/darkspawn corrupting and getting those Dragons killed is what the Elves hope will eventually free them. So they lure men into the Fade so that men will return to Thedas corrupted and go get all the Old Gods killed which will free them from their prisons.

I admit the latter theory is a bit of a leap of faith though since an unchecked blight could easily lead to the end of the world so the Elven Gods would be going out on an awfully big limb if that's how they're trying to get freed.

I actually think this is a good theory. In the teaser image, the lyrium idol is surrounded by a seal, with the 7 things around the seal maybe representing the 7 sleeping Old Gods. Two of those are alight in the image, and 2 Old Gods are still alive. We don't know how Solas created the Veil, but we do know that sleeping is a way to interact with the Fade. So why should he not have bound 7 powerful high dragons, forcing them to sleep deep underground in order to maintain the enchantment he put on the world - the Veil?

And so the Evanuris masquerade as the Old Gods, in order to lure the Magisters Sidereal into the Fade. They then infect them with the Blight, and program a powerful compulsion on it that forces them to seek out the Old Gods and awaken them, getting those killed in the process. Setting things up so that they would be released eventually, when the last Archdemon dies.

And if my theory is right, that life was a lot more resistant to the Blight pre-Veil, then the risk to the Evanuris isn't quite so big. They can assume that life will regain that resistance, greatly hindering the Blight's expansion. And considering the awe inspiring feats of magic pre-Veil mages were capable of, I imagine that the 7 most powerful mages consider it within their power to contain or eradicate a weakened Blight.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Torrannor posted:

I actually think this is a good theory. In the teaser image, the lyrium idol is surrounded by a seal, with the 7 things around the seal maybe representing the 7 sleeping Old Gods. Two of those are alight in the image, and 2 Old Gods are still alive. We don't know how Solas created the Veil, but we do know that sleeping is a way to interact with the Fade. So why should he not have bound 7 powerful high dragons, forcing them to sleep deep underground in order to maintain the enchantment he put on the world - the Veil?

And so the Evanuris masquerade as the Old Gods, in order to lure the Magisters Sidereal into the Fade. They then infect them with the Blight, and program a powerful compulsion on it that forces them to seek out the Old Gods and awaken them, getting those killed in the process. Setting things up so that they would be released eventually, when the last Archdemon dies.

And if my theory is right, that life was a lot more resistant to the Blight pre-Veil, then the risk to the Evanuris isn't quite so big. They can assume that life will regain that resistance, greatly hindering the Blight's expansion. And considering the awe inspiring feats of magic pre-Veil mages were capable of, I imagine that the 7 most powerful mages consider it within their power to contain or eradicate a weakened Blight.

It’s this but the old god dragons are the dragon immortality aspects of the Evanuris

Just like Cory and his “fake” arch demon which solas calls an imitation of the real thing

I have a theory that everything falls apart if the dragons all die, maybe the evanuris need to be alive in there for whatever is locked in to stay that way

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

My only problem with this theory is if the Old Gods are the power behind the Veil then why isn't 5 of them dead leading to a much weakened Veil? You would think the Veil would get noticeably weaker with each Blight but there's no indication that's the case.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ThomasPaine posted:

I want DA4 so much but I got burned hard by bioware after getting hyped for ME:A please don't hurt me again

I feel sorta the same between ME:A and Anthem. But at least our last Dragon Age game was good so it's not like we're really bouncing back from a slump in this series. But the BioWare name definitely doesn't inspire the same kind of admiration that it used to.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd really like to know why Solas is so doubtful about the Grey Wardens - I'm not sure what he's expecting them to do.
Maybe there's another way to banish the archdemons and that's why he's snotty about it? I dunno, but nobody's given an explanation of that one which I've seen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Taear posted:

I'd really like to know why Solas is so doubtful about the Grey Wardens - I'm not sure what he's expecting them to do.
Maybe there's another way to banish the archdemons and that's why he's snotty about it? I dunno, but nobody's given an explanation of that one which I've seen.

I thought it was because the archdemons were the 7 elves he imprisoned, either the good ones or the bad ones I don't remember, and didn't appreciate the Wardens killing off his old friends using magic they had no understanding of.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Taear posted:

Hes got a whole thing of being condescending at other people for not knowing poo poo that goes back to before he changed the rules of the universe

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Maybe it's just his general 'everyone but me is a loving idiot for not having perfect knowledge of magical history from several thousand years ago' stance coupled with 'these particular idiots are drinking blight juice and messing with the most dangerous nuclear bomb in the world by basically hitting it with a rock over and over.'

Edit: yeah. that ^^^^

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Solas is the insufferable rules lawyer during your D&D3e sesh who litigates over what cantrips are allowable on every single turn.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

My only problem with this theory is if the Old Gods are the power behind the Veil then why isn't 5 of them dead leading to a much weakened Veil? You would think the Veil would get noticeably weaker with each Blight but there's no indication that's the case.

Could be that it required 7 to set up but only 1 to maintain. Magic works however the plot needs it to work.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I am kinda curious though because he seemed especially concerned about the 'hire a million demons to kill every Archdemon' bit in DAI. And it might have just been because that's a really dumb plan, but it seemed to be more concern that the world would definitely end if they actually succeeded, which makes me think that the whole hypothesis that without an Archdemon the darkspawn just start immediately all heading for the surface at the same to end all life is true.

Since the new game (that is still probably not coming out after Bioware finishes shooting it's own dick off with Anthem) is even further removed from Grey Wardens stuff I'm not optimistic that this will be resolved in a cool way but it would be neat. The mission where you gently caress around with Hawke and Logain was one of my favorite in all of DAI, same with the Deep Roads mission and Legacy in DA2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I get that he's a jerk but the world was literally ending, I'd have thought he'd be impressed with their ingenuity. He's definitely that sort of person as well.
It just confuses me.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

It occurs to me that Feynriel must surely make a reappearance in any Tevinter game, and could be a useful ally/companion vs Solas - dreamer against dreamer and so on. That seems like a loose end that needs to be tied in.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Feynriel can also be an abomination, a Circle mage or Tranquil back in Kirkwall, so I wouldn't bet on him being a major character in DA4 if he does appear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

floofyscorp posted:

Feynriel can also be an abomination, a Circle mage or Tranquil back in Kirkwall, so I wouldn't bet on him being a major character in DA4 if he does appear.

And Leliana could be dead until they decided 'whoops, want to use her in 2/3' and retconned it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's very funny contrasting Leliana's "hm? oh yeah, the Maker decided it wasn't my time" line in Inquisition against brutally decapitating her in a shower of blood in Origins.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

And Leliana could be dead until they decided 'whoops, want to use her in 2/3' and retconned it.

She is dead in 2/3 if you killed her in Origins. Trespasser revealed that she was a lyrium-spawned ghost of some kind all this time, just like the phantoms you encountered in the Gauntlet.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

She is dead in 2/3 if you killed her in Origins. Trespasser revealed that she was a lyrium-spawned ghost of some kind all this time, just like the phantoms you encountered in the Gauntlet.
lmao this is hilarious. she's already a 120% overloaded grab-bag of weeaboo fantasy cliches by the time da3 rolls around so why not throw another one in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zane posted:

lmao this is hilarious. she's already a 120% overloaded grab-bag of weeaboo fantasy cliches by the time da3 rolls around so why not throw another one in.

I don't think you know what the word "weeaboo" means.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Leliana isn't a weeb character, she's just the traditional fantasy dagger chick who loves murder.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i don't think it would be out of place to find a lesbian ghost assassin catholic french lady in some crazy anime.. the only thing really missing from her are wacky and inane mannerisms. for all of her craziness leliana is actually pretty boring to talk to.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Zane posted:

i don't think it would be out of place to find a lesbian ghost assassin catholic french lady in some crazy anime.. the only thing really missing from her are wacky and inane mannerisms. for all of her craziness leliana is actually pretty boring to talk to.

Then there was that song in Origins, which I've never been able to forgive her for

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Leliana is crap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zane posted:

I wish Leliana was a lesbian.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Leliana is... alright. I found her more interesting in 3 than 1, especially the stuff about her relationship with the Divine. imo Morrigan and Isabella are far worse when it comes to fantasy cliches.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least the way they brought her back is somewhat justifiable. The Ashes of Andraste have miraculous magic powers, lyrium has special magic powers, it's forgivable. Especially since basically only Leliana and Wynne could die there iirc. And Wynne is already canonically dead.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

drat, I forgot that. I got all excited remembering that those constellation thingies in DAI are supposedly connected to dreamers, and Solas was suspiciously 'no idea, never seen one of those before' about them.

But it has got really old seeing every young woman in every game being supposed to be somebody's waifu or what have you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This is a kind of trivial comment and probably has been discussed before (though as I see it there's not much of a discussion to be had really), but I'm playing the first game again, mage origin, and I was just thinking, did this one do the whole mage thing less stupidly than the others did? The whole thing with mages need to be free with no controls that popped up in DA2 and Inquisition always kind of seemed to fall on its face when the mages who were so always began doing stupid poo poo and getting possessed by demons.

Also, I don't remember in which one of them it was, but somewhere a character tries to calm some soldier down who's being tended by a mage saying something like "surely their magic is no more evil than your sword". Which just strikes me as stupendously dumb, because you can just leave your sword at the door or you can be disarmed by someone else, not so much with the mages who have to be given permanent fantasy-lobotomies to be un-magiced.

e: Also Jowan is a loving idiot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes, Origins did it better, in a way. After Origins, a lot of people where clearly sympathizing with the mages. The circles were an oppressive systems, and hints of abuses by the Templars were plenty even on DA1.

So in DA2, it feels like every mage who's not a player character turns into a blood mage at the drop of a hat. Worst of all First Enchanter Orsino, who turns into an abomination and fights you, EVEN IF YOU SIDE WITH THE MAGES!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Yes, Origins did it better, in a way. After Origins, a lot of people where clearly sympathizing with the mages. The circles were an oppressive systems, and hints of abuses by the Templars were plenty even on DA1.

So in DA2, it feels like every mage who's not a player character turns into a blood mage at the drop of a hat. Worst of all First Enchanter Orsino, who turns into an abomination and fights you, EVEN IF YOU SIDE WITH THE MAGES!

They tried to address that in DA2's DLC by implying Corypheus was the reason Kirkwall had an unusual amount of Blood Mages but yeah they went a lil overboard

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

somewhere a character tries to calm some soldier down who's being tended by a mage saying something like "surely their magic is no more evil than your sword". Which just strikes me as stupendously dumb, because you can just leave your sword at the door

That's in DAI, and I don't think it's stupid, it's just trying to persuade a soldier to let himself be healed. The point is that magic isn't evil that can never have good effects, not that mages are safe. Tbh if I'm considering whether to be healed by a doctor, the fact that she can put the scalpel down really doesn't matter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember some devs/writers saying they basically overcompensated in regards to the mages, because they knew otherwise the templars will come off looking as the bad guys and they wanted the conflict to be less black and white than that.