Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Randaconda posted:

Call it Dragon Age Stories or something. Could do one about Loghain and Alistair's daddy having adventures.

Even doing little companion things a la Leliana's Song might be cool. Just, you know, make them better than Leliana's Song. I'd totally smuggle mages out of Kirkwall as Anders or annoy people as Sera for a few hours, if it were done well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I liked the Witch Hunt companions

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm Inquisition's multiplayer

I never once played you

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Blackwall was probably my favorite companion in DAI. Helped that he was incredibly useful in battle, of course

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The solution to not minding the fetch quests and big empty zones is to smoke a lot of weed, in my experience.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

babypolis posted:

how do you solve the terrible, terrible combat

The weed (plus playing as a rift mage) make it less terrible

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sinteres posted:

If you have to smoke weed to make playing leisure entertainment fun, maybe you should just admit you don't like what you're doing and not do it.

But I quite like smoking weed and playing games, they go well together. The only game I really play besides the DA series is CK2, though, so it's possible I may not have the best judgment on "fun"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I liked Jaws of Hakkon as well. The Avvar are cool, and some of the battles were nicely challenging

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if it's the best choice given the Wardens are a huge band of fuckups in DA:I and the joining is giving him a death sentence since it eventually kills those who do it.

It depends on how you handled the Wardens, I think. If you exiled them, he tells you what a mess they are in Trespasser, if you rebuilt them he's super happy to have joined. He basically becomes Santa Claus if you do the latter, according to the end slides, so that's probably the way to go

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

There's no equality unless someone makes a Romancing the Stone mod that lets me and Shale finally be together :colbert:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It'd be cool if they did a remastered edition of origins, imo. Or at least released it for PS4.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Rogue-rogue-mage for me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

But the first two games had so much better spells!

Can't become queen as a mage, playing as a ridiculous ninja rogue in 2 is fun as hell, and I like playing my Inquisitor as a Kimmy Schmidt type and the circle is a good stand-in for the bunker :colbert:

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 5, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Mages/Templars are still dumb as a sack of hammers in DA:I as well. Fiona gives in to the Tevinters out of fear which is the absolute worst thing she could have done and meanwhile the Templars are such brainwashed idiots and so incompetent at their jobs that they get tricked by a literal demon which is supposed to be what they're trained to recognize and fight.

Actually it's hard to think of a truly competent character in DA. Even Solas for all his power and influence fucks up everything he does. I guess maybe Flemeth? Her plots seem to work perfectly.

Vivienne's pretty competent, at least compared to most companions in the series. Maybe Aveline? Sigrun?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I was always a little disappointed Bioware didn't do another Jade Empire game. The world-building and linguistics were really neat, and while the combat was clunky as hell, that could easily be improved. Being able to take more than one companion out at a time would've been cool, though... I feel like the only one I ever used was Henpecked Hou, and as a result didn't really get to know anyone else.

That one city you visited felt a hell of a lot more populated and alive than anything in the DA series, don't know how they managed to pull it off there but not elsewhere.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

For all their many faults, Fable 2 and 3 pulled off cities and towns pretty well, imo. Farting at a bunch of yokels to win their approval should be incorporated into every RPG.

I miss Fable :smith:

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 14, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fable 2 was the only game that let me play as the hulking, hideously scarred, hammer-wielding giantess of my dreams. I know DAI lets you play as a Qunari, but it just doesn't feel as earned, somehow.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The Emerald Graves are my favorite. Love all the big trees and that weird ghost house.

Exalted Plains was by far the worst.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The Hissing Wastes are extremely good Imho and frankly being disconnected to a degree from the DAI plot is a big part of this.

I like em too, they're nicely eerie. Varric, Bull, and Blackwall all have entertaining/interesting things to say as you explore the area as well.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Yeah Blackwall has a whole story in parts that you find out bit by bit with the dwarven tombs there. I love the Hissing Wastes, I love the weird creatures there and how empty and desolate it is, it's one of my favourite areas.

Emerald Graves is great too but the big area with the giants slows me up every time because no one wants to fight 5 giants.

Fallow Mire is the worst, it's dark and boring and mostly a straight line. I like the judgement at Skyhold that comes from it though.

I didn't mind the Fallow Mire, it's self-contained enough that you can clear it quickly and never go again. You have to go to the Exalted Plains for a ton of sidequests, though, and they're just so beige and annoying. Not really sure why we needed both the Forbidden Oasis and the Western Approach either, seems like they really could've been condensed.

I liked the Frostback Basin in Jaws of Hakkon a lot, especially the jungle/swamp area. Plus the Avvar are cool.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I'm not sure Blackwall is quite the stoic paladin he's made out to be, even without taking the whole backstory into account. A lot of his banter with other companions is plain goofy, and he's not churchy or anything. I definitely remember him being more popular in the DA thread here than on the internet as a whole, though, for whatever that means.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Dienes posted:

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until you mentioned it. Krem was one of my favorite characters and I wish we got to spend more time with him. Think of the stories he could tell during pillowtalk!

Unrelated note, I finished Jaws of Hakkon and jumped into Descent. Just finished the battle with the emissary alpha and waves of shriekers, ogres, etc. and set up my second camp. I have all these schematics and Bull desperately needs an armor upgrade....but every camp just has a party swapper and potion table. Is there some point where I can craft armor again, or do I have to backtrack all the way back to Skyhold? You'd think traveling with dwarves would make this easy.

Aren't there crafting tables in that first camp area on the top floor, with the merchants and whatnot? I think you do have to go back to Dagna for masterwork/rune stuff though

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Worst scene in the trilogy

Leliana's song in Origins and the Chargers song in Inquisition are both mortifying as well, but at least those can be skipped.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Tonal similarities and differences aside, I feel like the Grey Wardens borrow pretty heavily from the Night's Watch.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I was really disappointed that you couldn't pull Arl Howe to the tribunal by his ear as a human noble.

I did appreciate that you were able to pull the "yo, your dad had my whole family killed" card with Nathaniel in Awakening. Iirc, you could even just have him executed or indefinitely imprisoned outright, but it's been ages since I played it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

PureRok posted:

I felt the romances in general were lacking in DA:I. I mean, there's only 2 straight male romances, if I remember correctly. Well, 1 viable one because who would want to romance Cassandra?

Are you that weird guy from Reddit with the long hair fetish and the hate-boner for SA?

https://www.reddit.com/r/warwithsomethingawful/comments/3adfs6/in_response_to_a_gossip_thread_on_somethingawful/

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I always spend way too long hanging out in the undercroft tinting matching armor for my crew

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Always out of Leliana's door down onto the path that leads to Cullen's tower. Always.

I prefer jumping off Leliana's balcony and landing on top of Solas' desk while he's trying to work

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It's just mentioned in the party banter here and there I think, you don't have to do anything but not be romancing one of the characters in question. Sera writes notes about Dagna and Josie gets a bunch of flowers on her desk from Blackwall but I can't think of anything else ingame changing.

There's a fair amount of content for Dorian and Bull. Also (Trespasser)Krem and the minstrel lady hook up if you keep the chargers alive and make Cole stay a spirit

Anyway my favorite npc "couple" is Sten and Shale :allears:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is the correct way to play the game, I appreciate you.

I mean, if you're not crafting Bull a set of pretty pink armor or forcing Sera into head-to-toe plaideweave, why even play?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Cole mentions that Bull's horns are more similar to dragon horns

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Literally the only video games I play are the DA series and CK2, I'd be pretty bummed if 50% of that was kaput

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a lot more tolerable when you realize you’re not playing your character, rather than playing the protagonist of Varric’s story.

Also if you always pick the sarcastic answers and basically roleplay like Hawke is constantly drunk

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, it was very much a "Nancy Pelosi signed a pact with the Black Panthers in 1969 to bring gay communism to America; vote Mitt Romney to stop her devil-weed agenda." sort of situation.

What is the Shaperate if not binders full of women?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

ME's...huge problems aside, I'm baffled as to why EA hasn't bothered to do the cash grab option of just releasing a 'remastered' version of the trilogy for newer consoles. I never played ME3 because they never released any kind of definitive edition with all the DLC and it didn't seem worth it, but I would totally pay a premium to be able to load up all three games on my PS4.

I would loving love a remastered edition of DAO or Jade Empire while they're at it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

He's also the male Templar in Diablo 3

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I just liked smoking weed and wandering around the pretty landscapes with my bros, tbh. The companion banter in DAI was really good, and made me want to take different combinations out just to see what they said.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh god please no

I'm guessing the dwarf lady from The Descent might pop up, maybe as a minor villain or something

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

It'll be Merrill come to take her birthright

Oh god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Maybe Sandal will finally take his rightful place as a full companion