Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hello thread, I just finished Inquisition (the first DA game I've played), and greatly enjoyed it. Eventually I plan to do another playthrough (my standard Bioware move is one time through as a Good Guy Female to experience the story as intended and once as a Bad Guy Male to have fun being an rear end in a top hat to everyone), and am very much looking forward to doing the rear end in a top hat playthrough at some point.

I didn't do the Keep before my first time, just inherited the default world. I plan to do it for my second, so my question is this: what choices in the Keep make for the most interesting deviations from the default world state? I want to get as diverse of an experience as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm actually playing through DAO for the first time right now, and I think I'm going to keep Loghain alive. I want either him or Alistair to be my Grey Warden buddy on my next DAI playthrough.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

snoremac posted:

It’s a letdown that you’re not as free to be an rear end in a top hat as in 1 and 2. Most meaningful decisions so far are moral quandaries rather than outright cold or jerkish.

I'm doing my second playthrough now, and man does the game make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for convincing Cullen to start taking lyrium again. Which I suppose is fair.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

On my first playthrough I went for maximum romances (as I do), and there was definitely some dialogue in Trespasser with Sera that was all about how we broke up. She does not take it very well, especially if you end it in the cutscene after the Temple of Mythal, where she says the elven gods are all bullshit and you can tell her if she believes that then you shouldn't be together. It's pretty rough.

Iron Bull is totally cool with it regardless though, and near as I can figure everyone else just won't talk to you for a bit.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Man, I tried everything I could to make Leliana Divine, but I still got Cassandra. I hope we can still use the Keep for DA4 instead of importing a direct save, because that's the world state I want dammit!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

Did you ally with the Mages? That pretty much guarantees Leliana becomes the Divine

I allied with the mages on my first playthrough, and even did the decision that gives +10 to Leliana's chances, but on that run I was actively supporting Cassandra. This time I went with the Templars just for a change of pace.

This is sort of why I want the Keep to work for DA4, because my first playthrough was pretty much the world state I would want to import, but with a few key decisions that I messed up (Chargers and Divine)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So do the NPCs in DAI romance each other just on their own by virtue of you not romancing them, or is it something you have to actively make happen?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I've only ever played Origins and Inquisition, because I came to the series late and everyone says the gameplay of DA2 is terrible. However, the story seems kind of cool and interesting. Is it worth playing/are the gameplay issues overblown? What kind of time investment would it take?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

ilitarist posted:

I rather like Andromeda gameplay but I had to concentrate very hard what was the deal with this villain. I still can't remember what was his problem with us colonists except him being evil. I also remember how the game created mystery around a theocratic totalitarian system they had... but then it allowed you to listen to those guys internal correspondence and turns out they have political infighting and for their core worlds that villain guy was Caesar in Gaul.

Coincidentally I just finished my second playthrough of Andromeda (first since it came out), and the Archon is actually a pretty interesting villain. He was sent to the cluster decades earlier with the standard kett mission: spread the power of the empire and expand the population of the race through exaltation. This would probably have been done with long before the Milky Way folks show up except that the Archon became obsessed with all the Remnant stuff and is way more focused on digging it up and studying it than completing the original mission. Enter Ryder, the protagonist, who is able to interact with the Remnant tech in a way the Archon has never seen, and he switches his focus to figuring out how. Meanwhile some of his lieutenants are growing impatient with the diversions and just want to finish off the angara so they can go home.

The game has loads of problems, but if you were to strip it down to the loyalty missions and main story beats it actually works pretty well. I remain genuinely bummed that we likely won't get a sequel.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

ilitarist posted:

There were problems in a story with villain behaving in a typical villainous manner and his motivations weren't clear. I get that he's an obsessive nerd about remnants. But I had to go out of the way to find his personal logs to learn that it clashes with his main mission. He seems as if he does that stuff for the evilz. Saren was made enigmatic in ME1 so before you know about Reapers his actions are a mystery; some say that he hates humanity but it doesn't add up. That Archon already wages genocidal war on Angara by the time we arrive and there's no reason for the player to think there's anything complex behind him. He wants power and destruction and turns out that Milky Well tech had managed to crack Remnant enigma in 2 minutes so he wants some of this stuff.

There's also his lieutenant that approaches you with the offer to bail on the final battle, all in the name of finishing the mission and going home.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm very interested in playing DA2, but I haven't been able to find a way to do so on PS4 (short of paying like $20 for it on PS store, which is outrageous).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I wish there was a way to play DA2 on PS4

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Disclaimer: I really enjoyed playing all of these games, so even being ranked last on my list isn't too bad

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Dragon Age Inquisition
Mass Effect
Mass Effect Andromeda
Dragon Age Origins

Never played DA2 (despite years of fruitless searching for a way to play it on PS4). While Origins had really good writing I didn't play it until a couple of years ago and it was hard to look past the clunky gameplay. Meanwhile I replayed Andromeda last year and yeah it has a ton of story problems but it's generally really fun to play and I like most of the characters. It's been a long-rear end time since I played the original Mass Effect so its placement is honestly mostly nostalgia.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm the singular person in the world who apparently liked Andromeda. I actually enjoy how it plays, I like the story, and while none of the companions are favorites there are no stinkers I wish I could airlock.

Nah, I'm right there with you. I've played it twice (once for each sibling) and thoroughly enjoyed myself both times.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I cannot believe that DA2 is a) still $20 on the PS store, and b) only playable on PS3

Why won't they let me play this game?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I thought I did everything right to get Leliana as Divine in my second playthrough, but somehow I ended up with Cass both times.

Maybe I'll give it another go. I just finished Dragon's Dogma and it kind of has me hankering for a fantasy game with actual characters.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The beast fears fire, Arisen!

All the characterization you need

Who can forget the moving scene where your pawn confesses to you that they've learned new information about this quest.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Well, I went ahead and reinstalled Inquisition. Not sure what I'm going to go with as far as race/class this time - first playthrough was my bog-standard human warrior, second was elf double-dagger rogue (both were excellent). I should probably give mage a try just for variety, but I've never really liked standing back from the action and playing a support role.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

This happens in DA:I. Iron Bull and Dorian, Josie and Blackwall (although I don't think that amounts to anything), Sera and Dagna, and the bard in Skyhold and either more-human Cole (ew) or Krem.

To be fair, the player romance with Josie doesn't really amount to much either.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

At the Sera recruitment mission on my first replay since 2014, and I like her. I like the whole Breeches poo poo and think she’s goofy and fun. There I said it.

That scene bugs me because they "breeches" so many times in a story where a "breach" is a major story element.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sera does get better in Trespasser, but that's still 70+ hours of gameplay to slog through to get to the 'Good' Sera.

Does she still show up in Trespasser if she leaves/you send her away? I just recruited her in my current playthrough, and I'm...considering my options.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So I'm about to go recruit the mages in Inquisition, and all the new areas are starting to open up. If I'm looking for optimal story flow/logical progression, is there a "best route" to take with regard to exploration/quests? I've found some suggestions on Reddit but, well, I value goon opinions more highly than that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm the super boring guy who played a soldier in every run of the original trilogy, but thanks to the profile swapping system in Andromeda I actually got to play around with the tech and biotic stuff and it was fun! I think I'll try a biotic character in my first run of the remaster (assuming it actually exists and is not just some cruel psy-op being run by EA).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a good 40 hours into my new DA:I play through, and this really is my fave game in the series. The game is gorgeous, the combat is fun, the characters are awesome, and I actually love the huge maps to
explore full of secrets. And as mentioned in my previous post, the game has my favorite crafting systems.

I think the only reason I never replayed it until now was because The Witcher 3 happened six months later and I’ve played that to completion plus DLC four times.

I’m also pumped to play the DLC again, since last time I played them when they came out which was months after playing the base game. I’m playing a female elf mage Inquisitor and can’t wait to see Trespasser with the Solas romance stuff. I also love the Deep Roads, so I’m greatly enjoying the Descent DLC.

I'm at about the same spot, doing the same character run (Knight Enchanter has indeed been very satisfying far, now I just need to find some decent mage armor/schematics). Except while I'm about 45 hours in, I've been screwing around so much that I still haven't even gone to deal with the Grey Wardens or the Orlesian court yet.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a mage staff schematic later that is a melee staff using greatsword animations with an elemental lightsaber blade and it owns for KE

That's the prismatic staff or something, right? On my last playthrough I played that drat Trespasser fireworks minigame for so long to win the schematic. Unfortunately that was on Xbox, and this is my first PS4 run, so no NG+ benefits for me. I did craft the Blade of Tidarion which is also a sword-hilt melee staff, but I haven't been using it because I immediately found a unique staff that was better.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, I am replaying now as well, though I have already replayed it an embarrassing number of times (which I could never manage with TW3, too much is the same in each playthrough).

I am finding being called 'Ser' very grating this time, though; I think Trump's 'Sir' stories have made it extra-annoying.

"And Horsemaster Dennett shook my hand, and practically wept as he said to me 'Sir, you've done more for the Hinterlands than anyone in the history of Ferelden.'"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wonder if this was always the plan, or if they felt like they needed to show something to offset the Hudson and Darrah news.

I guess we'll know if we get something more substantial than "game devs sitting in a garden thinking about Dragon Age."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Khizan posted:

I think it will probably be fine, but I also liked Andromeda so I do recognize that I am in a minority here. :shrug:

:hfive:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It's been almost a decade since Inquisition, I'd be real worried from management about people losing interest in the IP. Say what you will about Bethesda making GBS threads out Skyrim over and over on different platforms, it at least kept it alive (and there's an MMO still running for it). Will new generations of players give a poo poo about the 4th game in a series from a decade ago?

This is why I'm surprised they so quickly and decisively shot down any notion of a Mass Effect-style Legendary Edition for Dragon Age, which feels to me like it would've been a pretty successful way to revive interest in the IP.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I've played Andromeda 3 times, including right at launch, and it's one of those games that I still get the urge to replay every now and then. Something about it just feels comfortable to me.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I can see the appeal of Larian's style but I would really hate it if that became the dominant form of fantasy games. I put 90 hours into Divinity Original Sin 2 and only hated the combat system more by the end of it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It'd be great if BG3 served as a kind of proof-of-concept for the industry that people are still willing to pay for deep, story-driven RPGS, and then other companies could apply that lesson to a gameplay and combat style that I enjoy. I would also not celebrate the death of Bioware, especially if they aren't being replaced by someone else making the same kind of games.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I have been curious what wrong lessons the game industry takes from BG3 since one doubts 'proper time for a game to marinate' won't be one of the right ones to take.

They'll look at the social media analytics and determine that all games should allow you to have sex with bears

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

One of the biggest bummers of the whole Bioware slow demise is that we didn't get a Dragon Age version of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I'd love to be able to play Origins (again) and DA2 (for the first time) with graphical improvements on current-gen systems.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder if the entire project was semi-rebooted again after BG3 came out. The gameplay that was leaked awhile back did not look very tactical RPG-like at all and already seemed pretty dated.

I don't know if "dated" is the word I'd use to describe it. BG3's combat system isn't universally better than a more straightforward action style, and I personally much prefer the latter.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

RevolverDivider posted:

It's going to be hysterical if through some freak miracle Dreadwolf does come out how much is going to be blatantly stolen from BG3.

What would they steal from BG3 that isn't already pretty well-established fantasy RPG territory? I doubt they're looking to institute a dice-roll system.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

The cinematic dialogue sequences add a lot to BG3. People in general really seem to enjoy turn-based combat over real-time combat as well, and that'd be a pretty big change for Dragon Age.

I mean the cinematic dialogue sequences in BG3 are only really noteworthy because they're such a departure from the rest of the game's art style and from other games of the type. That kind of conversation portrayal has been commonplace in other games for a long time, including in Dragon Age games.

And I would definitely dispute the idea that people in general prefer the turn-based combat system over real-time combat. BG3 is a success but turn-based hasn't exactly taken over the industry, and basically everyone who has bounced off BG3 has done so precisely because of the combat system.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Turn-based is really only tolerable to me in a game like Persona 5 or Yakuza LAD, where it's your party and maybe 3 enemies max. BG3 has way too many encounters where it's your party and like 10 enemies, each of whom gets their turn to run around or do whatever while you're just twiddling your thumbs.

I don't remember having a problem with DAI's combat, it felt to me like your basic third-person action game combat which is what I tend to enjoy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I liked the DA2 and DA3 combat mainly because the combat in actual turn-based games like BG3 just takes so loving long, even if it's more interesting/challenging. It also helps to play with a controller in the case of DA3 - I had the most enjoyable experience playing the one health-stealing melee class with a controller.

IMO Bioware should lean into action-RPG games, like in the ME games. Larian can do a better job at the turn-based stuff.

Yeah, my average BG3 gameplay session involves doing only a handful of fights. I think it comes down to how much someone really enjoys tactical/turn-based combat. In my case I need either more frequent narrative/plot momentum, or engaging moment-to-moment gameplay.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. People can enjoy the turn-based combat offered by BG3, and that's fantastic! I'm glad they've found a game that really caters to their tastes. But let's not act like BG3 has made action-RPG real-time combat obsolete, especially since there are still a large amount of people (myself included) who overwhelmingly prefer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

As someone who mostly cares about story and character interactions, I prefer something like DAI over BG3 because if I don't want to think about the combat too much I can just crank it down to Easy and button mash through most encounters to get to the next story beat or character moment. Whereas with BG3 even on the easiest difficulty I'm still having to slog through every combat encounter. It's the same issue I had with Divinity Original Sin 2, another game with really good writing that I completed but can't say definitively that I enjoyed.

Basically BG3 might be a masterpiece, and I'm glad it's been such a revelation for some people, but I'd play Inquisition over it any day just because I'd be having fun for a lot more of my playtime. Give me a "skip battle" option in BG3 and we'll talk.