Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If Bioware goes down or just gets out of the single-player (mostly) rpg business I just hope they do it after I get to go after Solas. It might be my favorite cliffhanger ever but the payoff will make or break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Of all the studios to be eaten up and destroyed, it happening to Bioware would bum me out the most. Even though I know the Bioware I fell in love with is gone and has been gone pretty much since Mass Effect 2, if even that long. And I've still loved their games like ME3 and DA:I. So how many years until we see the developers from Bioware pushing their kickstarter games like Obsideon. Will the DA and ME series be the template for the next batch of games to be funded by people because studios messed up so bad like how Torment and Baldur's Gate were for Pillars?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just read an article about how does Bioware keep Dragon Age a single-player RPG while also making it a live service. The first idea that comes to mind is cosmetics with costumes and companion additions. Then I thought they should just go all in and release dates or gifts you can buy your romance options. Or just stop making single-player games I guess.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You know what romance people sleep on alot? Closed Fist Dawn Star. It's one of my favorites and I would love a remaster of Jade Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7EKxHQc0j8&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gZaaPpq-N6mhA9_ydEz7cXxhUV5ZeW8

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I started playing DA:I on PS4. I have used mods in the past on PC and cheat engines to make banter hit more frequently but wondered are there any ways to make it trigger like it's supposed to on console?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish there were more games that scratched the itch old bioware did for me. I enjoyed everything up to inquisition which outside of Baldur's gate 2 I've put the most hours into.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm always willing to give DA games and ME games a chance. Bioware missed me on Anthem. So I'll give this one a chance. My only real complaint for DA:I is how hard it is to listen to all the banter - even when using mods or cheat engine. I've put more money into that game than any other Bioware ones outside of SWTOR.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just so everyone knows - I will be judging every CRPG against Baldur's Gate 3. It's my new standard. And really I am only going to be judging reactivity. I don't care about scale. But you can make a small scale game with a lot of reactivity and cool story beats. One of the things I love about BG 3 is that it doesn't play it safe. Lots of crazy poo poo happens with big name players from the setting. Just go nuts!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

I *loved* Dragon Age: Origins, am retrospectively fond of DA2, and genuinely liked Inquisition and Baldur's Gate 3 makes them essentially unreplayable. It's a towering achievement

I see a lot of Dragon Age Origins in Baldur's Gate 3. The biggest difference to me is obviously more reactivity, less of bioware formula of go to the 4 places and then its time for the boss, but most importantly to me the art direction. Both games are extremely violent and gory but Baldur's Gate also maintains this level of whimsy and fantasy and the color scheme is broad. When I think of origins I think of the color brown.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Merrill’s clan never respected her because she was constantly gambling with their lives on a whim.

Not respecting Merrill is the right thing to do. Mages aren’t people!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yall have been arguing about mages on here since 2011!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1694406199402471567

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

What a disaster. Very sad right now, I was still looking forward to Dreadwolf and ME4.

I was looking forward to DA 4 as well but that stopped like 3 years ago.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man gently caress Bioware. Didn't they also sell the swtor ip to the Houston company?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has there been any games been in development hell this long and with so many setbacks and actually turn out good?

They almost finished resident evil 2 then threw it in the trash and started from scratch and that game rules. But that only took 2 years lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Nioh is another game that was in development forever but turned out well. It started development for it in 2004 for the PS3. It didn't come out until 2017 for the PS4 after multiple revisions and getting moved through three teams.

Nioh and Nioh 2 also had amazing post release support and they just kept improving it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Until they show some functioning gameplay, I won't believe it's even in active development.

I believe its in development they just keep starting over.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Always a great sign when an rpg maker lets go of mostly writers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

At this point I just don't see Bioware getting it's act together. The unfocused upper management seems deeply entrenched. We can only hope that as more people become developers and the success of Baldur's Gate 3 someone else uses it as a schematic that these types of games can still be done. Bioware doesn't really make Bioware games anymore.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Buschmaki posted:

The perfect Bioware game is actually "Jade Empire"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking of playing this again for the first time in year. Has anyone finally made a good banter mod? I've tried several mods, and cheat engine and at best I'd call all those spotty.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

hard counter posted:

i think banter is one of the few areas where da hedges out bg3 for content because iirc there's hardly any conversations between party members during exploration especially mid-to-late game; like everyone (except for your late game companions) becomes a zombie by act 3?

It's not a problem with BG3 because by act 3 you are stopping and talking to someone every 5 seconds and your companions have a lot to say in the city.

In DA:I you can literally go hours without anyone saying anything in some of those big zones.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The best banter in the game is Iron Bull and Dorian become a couple.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nichael posted:

Someone on the DA Reddit that Xbox pushed out a DA related notification (I don't have one so I can't check this), so it's possible there's a trailer or something today.

Even if this game is coming out, (lol) I feel really uncomfortable about it now after they laid off so many people, including the writers who basically made it what it is. This is my favorite video game series, and Bioware has just poisoned any positive feelings I had for it.

I hope the people who were laid off get jobs in better work environments because they deserve so much better.

There is an alternate timeline out there where Bioware stays Bioware and rides the good will of ME 1 and 2 and DA:0 and just keeps making games fans of their types of games like as opposed to chasing infinitely increasing profit. But it's not the timeline we are on.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

i still don't believe them. Is this game still going to be oh what was it. Some bullshit they said in like 2017. A game that I think is a Gaas. I feel like it's gone through 10 iterations.

All I want is a party based RPG and to hang out with cool new characters. Give me a big city to explore and make big set piece missions. That's literally all you have to do Bioware!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's just amazing to me that Dragon Age Inquisition came out 10 years ago, did pretty well, and Bioware spent the next decade trying to chase trends to increasingly catastrophic results when they could have changed literally nothing about their formula and had a BG3 competitor in 2023. If they didn't poo poo the bed so badly, they probably would have been the favorites to make BG3 themselves. Extremely sad lol!

At one point Bioware was the only company making the specific type of rpgs I really loved. BG 1 and 2, Kotor and Jade Empire just scratch a type of itch that I have.

But now I have CD Project Red, Obsidian, Larian. I don't need Bioware anymore. And has been mentioned a million times this is """""""bioware"""""""". The people who made the stuff I loved aren't there any more and the ones who are there don't like making the types of games I love.

Did this happen because of EA or did the people in charge of Bioware make these decisions themselves to change and chase trends?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is Bioware even making any money right now?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

orcane posted:

I assume EA had idiotic strategic directives for Bioware (some of the trend chasing has to be from them and that goes back all the way to ME2/DA2) but from the "what went wrong" articles re: Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda it sounded like Bioware was ruining itself even without outside help.

That was my feeling as well

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nichael posted:

It's funny how the multiplayer directive for Mass Effect 3 ended up accidentally making the best part of it.

It was an amazing multiplayer! That they didn't grow after that game and didn't port to the rerelease!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everytime I think about playing origins again in overwhelmed by the color brown in my mind and decide not to

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Probably not, Swtor actually became extremely profitable after it went F2P but I heard that they've lost ownership of that to a third-party company, Broadsword. With that gone I suppose EA is keeping them afloat but if Dreadwolf bombs who knows.

I don't think they lost ownership. They sold it. And most of the bioware Austin team now works at broadsword. The last thing I liked by bioware isn't even there's anymore and the people who made the thing I liked will still be working on it so I'm cool

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is what happens when you restart a project a million times

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

grobbo posted:

And yet you claimed to see nothing wrong with Zevran's face in DA2, David Gaider. Most curious.

No one's face looked good in DA2.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dragon Age combat in 2 and 3 is boring. Just holding a drat button the entire time. Felt like playing a MMO.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I did like the amount of juice they put into Dragon Age Inquisition. I wish things weren't so spongy. But at least DA:I isn't so drab looking from an art direction as the first game. And having a bunch of mages basically lights the screen on fire which is always fun.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age 2's biggest mistake was failing to actualize its own button:awesome ratio.

I loved that DA 2 took place in one giant city over the course of 10 years. But it failed to really do something special with that. Yakuza proved that you can do a lot by using the exact same environment over a period of time - except in its case it did it with real time lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I liked sera she's my favorite romance character for girls. The best romance in the game is obviously cassandra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I still maintain that DA2 has aged the best of the trilogy. Graphics are better than Origins, and it doesn't have Sera or Inquisiton's weak gambit system or the long sprawling open-world system that honestly was not very good. Friendship/rivalry system was also a good mechanic that meant you didn't have to agree with all your party members' bad decisions.

I still wish more RPGs would take the approach of being in one big location that changes over the course of years. It helps the stakes not get too big and it helps make it feel different. With a smaller scale you can also have bigger changes based on your choices.