Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HGW XX/7, a human Decker.

Like someone said, we're in Berlin. Might as well have a handle to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanfy posted:

If I was playing solo I'd probably pick the right one too, if only because it fits the wisecracking idiot kinda character I always play in these games. There are a lot of good snarky dialogue choices in this and HK.

But they'll both certainly work.

A ton of them.

You can be the smartest man in Berlin, and still spend most of your time being taken as the world's biggest fuckup. Just before you explain the whole plan you're dealing with, to the last detail.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kieron Gillen said it best.

"Elves are basically 'What If Aryans were right about there being a master race?' loving Elves"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something minor that might get shown off soon?

You can offer to do the decking yourself, assuming you're a decker.

Needless to say, Monika just doesn't take you up on the offer.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 12, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Good old Monika. "It's just a stroke that somehow left me in a puddle of blood, I'm going to get out my final cryptic glaaaaaaaarbfuck"

Look on the bright side. At least it's not poetry.

Those make for the worst last cryptic riddles.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

It has begun!

Monika is so instantly likeable, the writers did a great job with her. In the tiny sequence, we see so much of her. Mischievous, competent, charismatic, it's not hard to see why she's leading this party.

Good enough a trick to start with, but she's also clearly not The Perfect Mentor like early sacrifices tend to be. The group has tensions she's not got entirely handled, she got sloppy a few times, she's basically flawed and human, like anyone else.

It's really rare for a game to get any real use from someone biting it in the tutorial mission, but Dragonfall manages.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I had wanted to start a charisma based run, and after all this discussion I simply must keep count of how many people I end up having to kill.

I played a charisma and decking run, and tried to talk people down when the opportunity presented itself.

By the end of the game, over 300 people (well, and other things, game counts 'em the same) were dead by his hand.

If Monika calls someone in for a job, they're going to be really good at killing people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mauman posted:

The shaman made me laugh. That's an important thing to me. She's also scarily effective at her job.

Yeah, she was my favorite of the crew. Best fit with my runner, too, given his habit of always picking the Most Terrible Ideas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mauman posted:

I think I know who you're talking about, and I really like that mission too.

It's enough on its own to justify picking up this game's decker, even if you're playing a decker yourself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mauman posted:

Giving her your freebie AK is a good way to give her a free power boost in this regard.

Also, I do my damnedest to get every cram I can get here and anywhere else.

Dem drugs are awesome :okpos:

The most altruistic of motives.

"If I help this orc get off drugs... then there will be more drugs for me!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

I guess you're going to have a more static team for this adventure? I do like these conversations.

Well, you can. There's set party members who are available free for every mission, but there are also mercs with no dialog you can hire instead.

Not much reason to, given how the core team is much more fun, but it's your call.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Altuğ! I have been waiting for my coffee for nearly an hour already! Are you growing the beans out back?

[Altuğ shouts.] Can’t you see that I am speaking to an honored guest, you tower of quivering corpulence?

There's nothing quite like the warm feeling of a close-knit community.

And this is nothing like a warm, close-knit community.

(Sorry. Kinda had to.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fire's the only thing that'll help at this point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stroth posted:

I mean, in theory, with a skilled enough blood mage, the fact that the vampire is absorbing the essence in the blood could actually make it more vulnerable to blood magic using it's meal.

But, on the other hand, anyone hiring a blood mage that skilled deserves whatever horrible fate awaits them for being stupid enough to deal with a masterfully skilled blood mage. I mean hell, you'd be better off breaking into Lofwyr's office and taking a poo poo on his desk. At least he might kill you quickly.

Also, breaking into Lofwyr's office like that is at least stylish. You're drawing on the classical divine protection for those who do things that are too insane to contemplate. It's a proper run, and if Lupin III has taught us anything, it's that Leonardo da Vinci could never beat Inspector Zenigata in hand to hand combat. (Or maybe something about the most impossible heists can actually be pulled off if you're good enough and lucky enough, but the other thing is more important.)

Meanwhile, hiring a blood mage is just making yourself another corporate chump who assumes that money makes you invincible. All the suicide, none of the room for style.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RedMagus posted:

It's a video game, so of course we're doing all the "side-quest" material, but man, in the real game, you don't do these sorts of runs. As backstabby as Shadowrun is, usually you have to trust that your team isn't going to gently caress you over in some way/shape/form because you're already paranoid enough that your Fixer is going to do that.

Well, that's why we've got a reliable Fixer.

Saves valuable worrying time and lets us focus on worrying about how the client and other runners are going to gently caress us over.

Seriously, this game lets you make an amazing enemies list.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

But we don't know what spending 40 years in a radioactiva hellscape could have done to her. This is Shadowrun, the laws of physics decided to take a vacation when magic sucker punched it in the dick (example, look at the motorcycle that managed to go 6 times the speed of light).

I've never finished dragonfall, only got to (what I think) was gonna be the last mission, after pushing the "paid 50k" button but before (what I assume would be) the mansion retraux, because I had to format my computer around the same time.

So, that said, I bet 1 internet cookie that Feuerschwinge will be a radioactive zombie dragon that is trying to take over the world. Any takers?

I'll take that action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

Ah, idle speculation! So this is what it feels like to be on the other side of things!

That mage is such a dick! I really wanted to be more polite to the wild elf, but that would've meant making an elf, and I didn't want to make friends that badly.

Well, I'm assuming you could be more polite if you make an elf. I'm glad we have Kanfy along to show us the what-if!

Frankly, the elf seems like kind of a dick too. More understandable and sympathetic, since he seems to have been shanghai'd, but he's not exactly going out of his way to try to bridge the communication gap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheMcD posted:

I really like this run for several reasons, primarily because of the humanization of the Knight Errant guards and the corporate folks like the ork and the couple buying skillsofts for their son. Like, even that couple seems snobby and uppity, but the man does show some degree of regret for talking like a prick. It's a very small thing, but it's just enough. Like others said, it can be very easy to forget the human element when it comes to runs, be it with guards you mow down, or office clerks whose lives you ruin by breaking into their office and rifling through their poo poo, turning them into a security liability that is immediately terminated. And a lot of moral quandaries in Shadowrun fall completely flat if you forget about that element - you never really stop to think just how many lives you ruin in the average run, even discounting those you murder directly.

This run, amongst others, also shows that the most powerful Etiquette would be one that isn't in the game at all - "Wageslave". You can talk Corporate, Academic and whatnot, and get far, but if you really want to talk your way through some dirty runs, being able to speak the wageslave language is the most powerful tool of them all. Because no matter what we're talking in Shadowrun - somewhere, there's wageslaves running it.

Yep.

Chains and weakest links. You don't get past the scientist who devoted his whole life to a project half as easy as you can handle the poor bastard drawing minimum wage to guard a widget he doesn't even vaguely understand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

She's not really a regular person, though. She's actually damned good with her pistol, and she's got exceedingly good technical skills to rewire a building on the fly like this without alerting the security systems.

ETA: Also, as scary as brain surgery on a young child is, it's only different in degree from what's going on right now when you look at upper class families freaking out about their kids getting into the right day care and pre-school. I have no doubt that those same parents would give their kids experimental tech to make sure they could keep up with their fellow UES trust fund babies.

Of course, studies have indicated good kindergartens and pre-schools do very little for a kid's future prospects, but when you've got a lot of money, you can afford to throw some at longshots.

And the other James is in Koudelka.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I dont know posted:

This also happens at this point in the timeline, at least in the fluff. One of the megacorps (Fuchi maybe?) top level systems don't have black ice that kills through lethal biofeedback. Instead, the decker feels a little funny afterwards, but nothing to worry about. Shortly afterwards, they find themselves showing up at the nearest corp office confessing their crime, telling them everything they know, and volunteering to perform a suicide mission in penance.

Reminds me of this hacker in Japan. Got pretty famous for a bit, hit some megacorps. At least, if it was all one guy.

In the one video of him, you can see his face. Basically I thought what I'd do is pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, which should have made him easy to identify, but nobody seemed to be able to spot him. Kinda spooky.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Only if you stop trying to get them into good schools after kindergarten and pre-school.

It's more that waiting to spend the big money until the kid's in elementary school proper doesn't seem to do any harm.

That's a tip for all you billionaires out there! If you save money on kindergarten bribes, that's more money available for the actually important college bribes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conot posted:

The other downside to being vindictive about runs is that while you dissuade your average runner from taking jobs against you, you also attach massive prestige and payouts to anyone who is willing to do runs against you.

Sure, it's great that Harry "Two-Nose" the Ork and his crew doesn't want to do runs against you, but now that Prime Runner whose name is in several dragon's little black books of useful assets sees you as a hurdle to clear, and this is the point when we're talking mages who kill your entire sec team with a swarm of mana bolts, riggers driving armored vehicles with smartlinked turrets, infiltrators who your managers will swear they've known for years and street sam who might as well be Superman for all that they care about your security protocols, HRTs and, in a pinch, walls.

I'm sure Aztech still sees the benefit, but their response method isn't really foolproof. There's a reason Ares reaps the benefits from taking a laissez-faire attitude to runners and keeps their relationship with it nice and cordial.

I'd also think it'd be much easier for Ares to hire top shelf runners when they need them.

"We know what you did. We're actually impressed. You mind running a gig or two for us?" from a company that's been known to let things slide sounds like an offer worth considering. The same thing from a company known to take horrifying vengeance against anyone who crosses it sounds like a reason to burn your identity and move to an orbital station.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I stumbled across this on Imgur and I thought it would fit in with this thread. Are any of the Dragon's trolls? I think having one of the dragons whose only desire is to gently caress with people would be hilarious.

Dunk has some pretty good items in his will. I wouldn't put something like this past him.

Of course, being more of a good sport than most dragons, he wouldn't eat the appraiser. Might even pay the poor guy for his time, especially if he got a response like "I'm sure this has a lot of sentimental value, but if anyone else brought this to me, I'd have to say it wouldn't get anything at open auction."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That, and a handshake that'll scrape your fingerprints off.

Well, yeah.

If you do it wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: VVVVV Yes, but what happens between the first death and the last?

Many, many more deaths.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Now now, not necessarily a terrorist bombing. I had less problem with blowing up some corp's joint when doing this run, and mainly felt bad that I couldn't cap James in the subway at the end/save the elf. I was also surprised that Dana wasn't a mole keeping tabs on me.

I didn't mind killing people. I mean, I was playing a runner. I'm pretty sure "Will kill 4 $$$$!" is on his business card. The problem is that he wasn't informed in advance.

A client who doesn't trust you is a client you shouldn't trust.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Fun Black Lodge Facts: The head of the Black Lodge is called the Penulimate Master. A title that raises obvious and ominous questions.

Like why an organization that old still hasn't figured out what "Penultimate" means.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I just watched a straight-to-netflix movie about this. It wasn't very good, but it was about how everyone has cybereyes and everything is recorded and saved and easily accessible. One person was a hacker and deleted all records of her of everyone she walked past. It was a very cool concept, just in the hands of a mediocre story writer.

You want to watch something good with that, you watch Ghost in the Shell. The first season of Standalone Complex is (when it's not doing standalone episodes) about a hacker who's so good, nobody's seen his face. People were referencing it already, but in case you didn't catch it, now you know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Alt-Campaignwhere Duzuklan didn't die in 2054 and also read a bunch of Marx after awakening

Because there's no situation so bad a little communism won't make it even worse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Until they discover that the troll put down three troll sized garbage cans of napalm and lofting charges next to their predicted landing zones, the chopper got to party with a couple suicide drones (and won, shadowrun armor is obnoxious sometimes) and now the cost for HTRTs has doubled city-wide.

On the other hand they now pack hazmat suits and start shooting even earlier.

When they touch down, we'll blow the roof. They'll spend a month sifting through the rubble and by the time they figure out what went wrong— we'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

The other acronym that sticks out to me is BAD, for Bioengineered Awakened Drug, which was a big thing in 4th Ed, especially regarding Tempo.

There's also GOD, for the Grid Overwatch Division, the part of the Corp Court responsible for policing the Matrix (and halfway decent at it, as of 5th). The Business Recognition Accords, which ensure extraterritoriality to AAs and above, are often shortened to BRA, but that's just funny instead of on the nose.

The Grid Overwatch Division at least sounds like an association the people who named it wanted. It feels intentionally overly on the nose, unlike some of the others.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poil posted:

Why in the world would you get regular cyber legs when you could get a cyber centaur lower body instead?

One word.

Chairs.

The great leveler.

From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn’t enjoy a good sit?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Poil posted:

You can't install foot anchors or skimmers into treads. :colbert:

Pfft, unnecessary with cyber limbs. Also you could just "sit" on your lower stomach instead of your butt.

If you call that sitting.

Abandoning proper sitting is what truly distances you from humanity.

Now, if you really wanted, you could have extra fold out skimmer legs in your cyberlegs, but let's be realistic here. Once you start going in for luxury like that, you're just a couple of years away from harvesting the brains of the poor to improve your combat abilities.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Well, taking in account the Major was p. Much at that point by the time the original movie starts, I'd say that's accurate.

Well, we were talking Standalone Complex Major, who's relatively well adjusted. And even at her most broken down crazy, the Major's able to function socially (even demonstrating more empathy than might be expected from a government kill squad leader) which, if I remember right, is not common at low essence

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kaosdrachen posted:

Not to mention a brain implant specifically designed to detect suicidal ideations and stimulate your memory centers, because at that point it's literally possible for you to die just because you forgot you were supposed to remember you're alive.

At that point, it sounds less cyberpunk, and more like a country western song.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Here's the thing, Saeder Krupp gets run against ALL THE TIME but no one wants to report it because it means they're dinner for Lofwyr.

It's almost like creating systemic incentives to lie about your security is a flawed approach. Who knew?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tehan posted:

There are probably analysts who should be telling him that, but I can't really blame them for not. Being the guy in charge of telling a dragon to be less of a dragon seems like an unfortunate place to be in.

Anyone smart enough to figure out the problems with that approach and figure out a way to deliver it without getting eaten is also someone smart enough to realize you never deal with a dragon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wiegieman posted:

To further elaborate, Zero Zone guards know everyone who belongs in there, individually, by face and name. They will immediately shoot anyone other than those people with a truly excessive number of bullets. You cannot talk your way through a Zero Zone, or fake identification, but a very good disguise might work.

So, to be clear, we're talking the kind of run where step one is "Be Arsène Lupin III"?

...Great. Now I'm trying to figure out how you'd stat up Lupin's gang in Shadowrun. I figure Goemon'd be a phys adept, at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I remember ending the Lodge mission by telling the rear end in a top hat to gently caress himself sideways with a rake, so it's going to be a change to see what the actual jobs are.

I figure one run is a good story and a way to make the right enemies. More than that is just bad ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Playing HK and I just want to say that while you get weirder and wilder companions they feel way less like they have a reason to be your friends, at least at the beginning.
So enjoy the wonderfully immersive relationships here for all they are worth.
Also that game forces a backstory on your character which rubs me the wrong way.

There's a scene in Hong Kong where you get to pick your backstory... only all but one of the options are marked with "lie".

It's a surprisingly frustrating moment for such a small point.