Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

vivisectvnv posted:

It was honestly the funniest movie of the year, DDL had so many absolutely mic dropping fay burns

DDL had some great lines, but my vote for funniest moment goes to after they get married and they're at the ski resort. Alma's just going to town on her breakfast and DDL gives this absolutely great exasperated look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

General Dog posted:

What are the odds that Alma's named after Alfred Hitchcock's wife?

There’s a full on Vertigo riff in the soundtrack.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I was enamored with this entire movie and then that ending blew my loving socks off.

My favorite part I think is the dissonance of the music when he shows up to the New Years Party; you have the cheery, “normal,” music and funhaving and then in comes Reynolds and with him the slow classical music. They start to blend until it becomes too much and the classical music takes over as he does.

What a movie.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
DDL was robbed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Judakel posted:

DDL was robbed.

And PTA on several counts

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

General Dog posted:

And PTA on several counts

What else is new?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The biggest loser here was the score, which lost to a great but (if you ask me) clearly inferior score that was riding the coattails of an eventual best picture win. In a year with some really great scores (Dunkirk, The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, The Shape of Water, Good Time) I had no trouble picking Phantom Thread as my clear favorite by a mile.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DDL should have collected best actor and this just shows that the academy is a circle jerk that's not actually for anyone but the voters and people seated in that theater because by no metric did gary oldman outperform ddl

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

basic hitler posted:

DDL should have collected best actor and this just shows that the academy is a circle jerk that's not actually for anyone but the voters and people seated in that theater because by no metric did gary oldman outperform ddl

DDL put his socks on in character. And it was terrifying.

It's sort of a relief that this is his last film, because fuckin' hell the guy puts himself through the ringer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

Yeah. DDL created and inhabited a character; Oldman did a good impersonation.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

basic hitler posted:

What are you going on about. DDL has won 3 academy awards in his life. There's no agenda against him. Also who exactly do you think the academy should be for, because the general public did not love Phantom Thread, and I sincerely doubt they would have given DDL the award either.

I mean I think the oscars are dumb and pointless, but your post doesn't really make much sense

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

who cares if he's already won 3, he deserved a 4th you dope.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah, Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic in this, but it's not like he's Peter O'Toole with 50 years of snubs.

Doesn't matter since his performance is fantastic and Phantom Thread will be considered an essential classic 50 years from now while Darkest Hour won't.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

therattle posted:

Yeah. DDL created and inhabited a character; Oldman did a good impersonation.

This has always been the case for Gary Oldman. He once described the main appeal of acting as getting to wear different looks.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The biggest loser here was the score, which lost to a great but (if you ask me) clearly inferior score that was riding the coattails of an eventual best picture win. In a year with some really great scores (Dunkirk, The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, The Shape of Water, Good Time) I had no trouble picking Phantom Thread as my clear favorite by a mile.

I was upset that Good Time didn't even get as much as a nomination. OPN composed some beautiful stuff for it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Twin Cinema posted:

I watched the trailer a few months ago and thought this was going to be the driest film of the year.

During the first half hour or so, I became frustrated with this film, and even considered walking out (I never would, though).

Then, something happened. The film starts to peel back, and it became this fantastically perverse, hilarious ride. I think part of my initial misunderstanding was because I didn't realize that the film was actually showing the absurdity of Woodcock's existence. He is somewhat of a ridiculous figure. I mean, I should of realized the hilarity of their first date dress fitting scene, but I am ashamed to say it took me a little while longer to figure it out.

I didn't have your perseverance so I did walk out. And it was actually my date's idea to leave, we were both incredibly frustrated. I haven't walked out from a movie in years.

Reynolds is such an overwhelmingly annoying massive jerk that his quirkiness and talent don't make up for that. I don't care much about the dresses to be honest. And Alma is completely worthless as a character. For someone with so much screen time she somehow manages not to do or say anything memorable. She's just a simple humble girl who agrees to whatever he says. We left during the asparagus scene, it was unbearable. Who gives a poo poo about the emotionally crippled old creep and his dull girlfriend and their idiotic fights over butter and teaspoons?

At least that's how we felt about the first half. Reading the spoilers in this thread, it seems it becomes interesting after that. Welp, too late for some viewers.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I didn't have your perseverance so I did walk out. And it was actually my date's idea to leave, we were both incredibly frustrated. I haven't walked out from a movie in years.

Reynolds is such an overwhelmingly annoying massive jerk that his quirkiness and talent don't make up for that. I don't care much about the dresses to be honest. And Alma is completely worthless as a character. For someone with so much screen time she somehow manages not to do or say anything memorable. She's just a simple humble girl who agrees to whatever he says. We left during the asparagus scene, it was unbearable. Who gives a poo poo about the emotionally crippled old creep and his dull girlfriend and their idiotic fights over butter and teaspoons?

At least that's how we felt about the first half. Reading the spoilers in this thread, it seems it becomes interesting after that. Welp, too late for some viewers.

You sound like a bit of a dimwit

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doctor Malaver posted:

She's just a simple humble girl who agrees to whatever he says. We left during the asparagus scene, it was unbearable.
These two sentences, back to back, are a masterpiece.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

I want to frame this post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How the hell do you miss the point of a movie that intensely

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Lol with so many people in love with the movie ITT, I knew I will get this reaction.

GonSmithe posted:

I want to frame this post

Feel free to put it in the OP.

Escobarbarian posted:

How the hell do you miss the point of a movie that intensely

Maybe the movie as a whole had a point, the first part certainly didn't seem to. If you make people want to leave the cinema half way through then you have a problem with delivering your point.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

These two sentences, back to back, are a masterpiece.

You mean because in the asparagus scene she actually stood up for herself? To me it was too little, too late. What did she do or say up to that scene that was worth watching? She dared say she didn't like a certain fabric? Wooo...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t mind if you didn’t like the movie but you have to at least try and have an understanding of the material. Saying the movie is bad because Reynolds is an rear end in a top hat is like saying Mad Men is bad because everyone is sexist

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I did try to get an "understanding of the material" just like I do with every film or theatre show. Why wouldn't I? I didn't come to the cinema with arms crossed and a "let's see this crap" attitude.

I didn't watch Mad Men but generally speaking your main characters have to have appeal that's greater than their negative sides. Otherwise people won't care about them or will root against them. I don't have much interest in 50's fashion so Reynold's genius doesn't awe me. He's an interesting character, but to me not interesting enough to compensate for all his flaws.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What are you finding interesting about Reynolds if not his flaws? :psyduck:

Like the whole fuckin' point of the movie is the toxic, unhealthy relationship he's in. This isn't a story about good people.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 12, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think a lot of people miss that Phantom Thread is a comedy, albeit a dark one in the vein of Kubrick or Greenaway.

Seriously, the asparagus scene is like something out of Twentieth Century or His Girl Friday. Brutal, but when you pay attention to the words, it's hilarious because of the absurdity. And a couple getting into an argument about asparagus is exactly the sort of dumb argument a couple would get into rather than anything meaningful.

PTA also uses sound the same way as Jacques Tati, especially the way he makes the sound of Alma buttering toast so loud on the soundtrack so you pick up on the irritation Reynolds has. But it's also meant to be funny, just like how Tati would do stuff like the loud door spring in Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doctor Malaver posted:

I did try to get an "understanding of the material" just like I do with every film or theatre show. Why wouldn't I? I didn't come to the cinema with arms crossed and a "let's see this crap" attitude.

I didn't watch Mad Men but generally speaking your main characters have to have appeal that's greater than their negative sides. Otherwise people won't care about them or will root against them. I don't have much interest in 50's fashion so Reynold's genius doesn't awe me. He's an interesting character, but to me not interesting enough to compensate for all his flaws.

Why did you come here to post? You knew that you'd missed vital elements of the film which wholly change the way it's perceived. Basically, you're saying that you are judging the film on the portion you saw, which you acknowledge is not representative of the whole piece, but you are making judgments anyway. Any comments you make have basically zero validity, so i am left wondering why you bothered in the first place. About the most you could reasonably say was that you left after the first half because you found it boring.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

therattle posted:

Why did you come here to post?

That's a disingenuous question. If someone posted "Hey I saw the trailer, it's awesome, I especially liked X and Y" I'm sure you wouldn't scold them for daring to post after seeing only a segment of the film. Because you would agree with their sentiment.

To answer anyway, there are probably people who read the thread to help them decide to go for this film or another. Now they know that they might need to power through the first half to get to the good part. I wish I had that information before.
Also the thread was dead and my post started a discussion.

And I didn't find it boring, I found it frustrating, which is exactly what another goon had said. It made me fidget in my seat and roll my eyes and I'm not some drama king who does that as a habit.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Posting about a movie you only saw half of is a waste of everyone’s time

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doctor Malaver posted:

You mean because in the asparagus scene she actually stood up for herself? To me it was too little, too late. What did she do or say up to that scene that was worth watching? She dared say she didn't like a certain fabric? Wooo...
I mean because the asparagus scene is the climax (the first of two climaxes actually) of what she's been doing the entire movie, which is demonstrating to people with more acuity than you a way in which someone can be strong without "standing up for herself" in the way you wanted her to. There are other ways of being in the world and getting what one wants than using one's domineering will to overpower people. This movie is one of the best explorations of that theme I've ever seen, because it's so spare. There's almost nothing in it except these two characters and the entire film spends its time probing how they approach life and what that means for each other. Daniel Day Lewis's character is the sort of person you were expecting her to be: he gets what he wants basically by refusing to accept anything else and by yelling at people. That is very decidedly not how she gets what she wants.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean because the asparagus scene is the climax (the first of two climaxes actually) of what she's been doing the entire movie, which is demonstrating to people with more acuity than you a way in which someone can be strong without "standing up for herself" in the way you wanted her to. There are other ways of being in the world and getting what one wants than using one's domineering will to overpower people. This movie is one of the best explorations of that theme I've ever seen, because it's so spare. There's almost nothing in it except these two characters and the entire film spends its time probing how they approach life and what that means for each other. Daniel Day Lewis's character is the sort of person you were expecting her to be: he gets what he wants basically by refusing to accept anything else and by yelling at people. That is very decidedly not how she gets what she wants.

Yes, there is more than one way to approach your partner and people in general. There a myriad ways, in fact. Why would I expect her to be like Raynolds? For someone who likes to lecture others about acuity or lack of it, you don't present your ideas well.

Since we are talking about her, another part that I found lacking was how they met. SPOILER WARNING I guess but it's at the beginning of the film and not that important.

She writes the note for him before he even asks and then immediately agrees to a date. And she follows him to his place after the dinner. I believe that's very, uhmm... liberal behaviour for 1950's England countryside. It would kind of make sense if she recognized him but I didn't get that impression. If she didn't, that means that she jumped at the opportunity to get a date with a gentleman 25 years her senior despite what the village will say. Was she desperate? Promiscuous? A gold digger? Flattered that a rich gentleman fancies her, a lowly waitress? I mean yeah he was charming but the way she was left smitten could've been explored better.

Do we learn about in the second half of the film?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Maybe you should watch it instead of asking questions.

It’s amazing to me that you think you have any grounds for judging character arcs or motivations when you only saw half of the movie. As everyone else has said, it’s okay if the movie bored you, but anything you have to say about the characters or plot is useless, and a waste of everyone’s time (including your own).

People who are reading this thread and on the fence about seeing it are not going to go “Oh, cool, let me listen to this guy who only saw half the movie and thinks he understands everything that the movie was trying to say.”

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 12, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It’s not hard to figure out from his behavior when Alma is taking his order that he’s interested in her. That’s why she told him her name. Plus, despite being 60 years old, DDL is still pretty sexy. I don’t need a whole lot more explanation than that.

I like that there isn’t much background on Alma. Presumably she’s not originally from England based on her accent. Maybe she’s tired of being a waitress and wants out, who knows. It’s interesting to think about, but I appreciate that the movie doesn’t spend a lot of time on that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"not liking a well-regarded movie" is generally considered a loving insane reason to go aggro on people, y'all are aware of that right?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Not liking it is fine. Walking out half way through because you thought it was boring and confusing is also fine I guess, but I’m not sure why you would expect anyone to care about your opinion in that case. Like, why bother?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"not liking a well-regarded movie" is generally considered a loving insane reason to go aggro on people, y'all are aware of that right?

No one is doing that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Not liking it is fine. Walking out half way through because you thought it was boring and confusing is also fine I guess, but I’m not sure why you would expect anyone to care about your opinion in that case. Like, why bother?

Forget it, Jake. It’s CineD.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Egbert Souse posted:

Brutal, but when you pay attention to the words, it's hilarious because of the absurdity. And a couple getting into an argument about asparagus is exactly the sort of dumb argument a couple would get into rather than anything meaningful.

"Were you sent here to ruin my evening and possibly my entire life?!" Classic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is really silly. You know that's not what is happening.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I too thought Reynolds was a bit of an rear end for the first half of the movie but eventually it became clear that the movie was actually a portrait of severe mental illness due to abuse as a child . This doesn't make it really any happier a movie but it at least makes sense as a plot worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

It’s amazing to me that you think you have any grounds for judging character arcs or motivations when you only saw half of the movie. As everyone else has said, it’s okay if the movie bored you, but anything you have to say about the characters or plot is useless, and a waste of everyone’s time (including your own).

People who are reading this thread and on the fence about seeing it are not going to go “Oh, cool, let me listen to this guy who only saw half the movie and thinks he understands everything that the movie was trying to say.”

I completely disagree. If someone posted that they walked out I would find that interesting and very much take it into consideration if I was on a fence about seeing the film. It doesn't mean that I'd read his imdb review or a treatise on the development of the characters but the act of leaving the cinema as such is informative even if it came without any explanation.

As for aggro, sure there's some. If I posted how I liked the plot and that the characters were great etc but had to leave half way through because of work emergency or whatever, there be either no reaction or agreement. Nobody would jump on me for liking the film I haven't seen whole and commenting on it. Be honest - would you respond to such a post with "Anything you have to say about the characters or plot is useless, and a waste of everyone’s time (including your own)."?

edit: I endured longer than Jennifer Lawrence!

Vogue posted:

Jennifer Lawrence gave a surprise review of an Oscar contender on Marc Maron’s WTF podcast and did not hold back: She told the comedian that she gave up on Paul Thomas Anderson’s Phantom Thread after three minutes. “I got through about three minutes of it. I put in a good solid three. I’m sorry to anybody who loved that movie,” Lawrence said. “I couldn’t give that kind of time. It was three minutes and I was just . . . oof.”

The star may be feeling enlivened by her new rear end-kicking role in Red Sparrow, as she continued to make a thinly veiled feminist critique of Phantom Thread’s star, Reynolds Woodcock, played by Daniel Day-Lewis. “Is it just about clothes?” she continued. “Is he kind of like a narcissistic sociopath and he’s an artist so every girl falls in love with him because he makes her feel bad about herself and that’s the love story? I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know. I’ve been down that road, I know what that’s like—I don’t need to watch that movie.”

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2018

• Locked thread