Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hopefully someone cracks the case on what triggers the extreme weather advisory in the game. Right now Accuweather has an advisory for my city which states to watch out for heavy snowfall *tomorrow*, and that's the only advisory I can see. If they're going by just the mere presence of an advisory then that's going to be a frustrating experience for probably everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

"all these tall buildings"
"this drift argh"

nobody tell him GPS is satellite based

The satellites aren't directly over your head, they're scattered about the sky, which is how they triangulate you. Tall buildings block significant portions of the sky, thus loving with gps on the ground.

Install an app like gps status and you'll get a little map of where your satellites are in relation to you.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

~Coxy posted:

It would be nice if it had the chance to appear in all Indian Ocean-adjacent areas.

New Zealand is not in the Indian Ocean.

And I am no longer in New Zealand :(

It's probably for those who felt ripped they didn't get a Kangaskhan.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

why the hell are spheals in 5kms

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

hmm it seems weather dependent

in good news, every nest is gen3 as well. i can't find a single gen1-2 spawn on maps other than regionals

From a few days ago, but got you beat

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Now that I'm getting a lot of good eevees again, is it worth walking them for the umbreon/espeon versions, or should I just roll the dice on water/fire/electric? I already have a good umbreon/espeon, but also loads of the others as well.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1372931489520072&id=834391626707397

quote:

Trainers, the most recent EX Raid Battle invitations were not as wide-reaching as we had hoped. We discovered an error that executed an older version of code, which did not include the fixes we'd previously introduced. We're sorry for the confusion, and we will make sure that the next round of EX Raid Battles appropriately executes the improved code.

:lol:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ballz posted:

Still EX-less. Ah well.

Pokemon GO: Desperately trying to hook up with an EX

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
God dammit Professor Willow, why do I have to catch a ditto for you now? What did you do with the other 77 dittos I've sent your way?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I have a 100% catch rate on dittos, git gud noob :smug:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

robziel posted:

Thought: Weather boosted Ditto potentials might have a zero chance of being Ditto's which could be messing with the numbers.

I didn't specifically look, but I'm pretty sure I got mine from a weather boosted Gastly. It was a cloudy day, but I didn't check at the time if it was cloudy in game.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Game updated on Android:

quote:

WHAT'S NEW
- Trainers can now transform Rare Candy to a specific Pokémon’s Candy in bulk.
- Various bug fixes and performance updates.

A Good Update

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Zombie Guy posted:

They all look like they're afraid of Fat Torpedo.

Someone farted

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Stolen from my raid group chat

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Fly with me posted:

Waiting for Stitch to be added to Pokemon. :colbert:

That's one derby Charmander.

That first Pikachu is done with everyone's poo poo.

And the last is what happens if a pikachu and larvitar gently caress

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

dwarf74 posted:

Good. Trading with randos costs an absurd amount of dust, so hopefully that'll cut down on Pokémon scalping a bit.

Plus randomising the stats unless you're trading with someone you're "Best Friends" with is pretty lol. Overall it seems like it's going to be a good mechanic that reduces bullshit and farming bots.

Niantic's been on a roll lately, this and quests.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm sad the distance based bonus candy maxes out at 100km, I would have made bank trading my assorted collection of New Zealand caught mons with my Montreal raiding group.

I wonder how much candy it'll give? 1 per km would be fun but I somehow doubt that...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

I'll just make up a number: 3.

seriously I can't imagine it being super high, especially if it caps at 100km.

quote:

Niantic showed an example where one player traded a Dratini caught over 100km away and received three candy.

are you a wizard?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My first ever Ex pass! 4.30pm to 5.15pm on a Wednesday, and near my work

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Are any of the alohan mons worthwhile for leveling up, or are they just funny looking?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Jarogue posted:

So I'm about to do a Ex Raid soon. Anything I should Know about it before hand other then get there early.
Also is this a good set of teams to go in with?

Start with the tyranitar, otherwise it's likely you won't even get a chance to use it

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

It feels like every community day event someone stops and asks me why everyone is on their phones.

I can image someone seeing a crowd intensely checking their phones and wondering if war was just declared or something

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Heading out for a morning coffee this weekend, walking towards my first pokestop of the day, knowing that it'll complete my 7 day streak. Check my inventory, I'm right on the bag limit, so I'll spin this stop, get the reward, also get a new field research task, and then be over limit for a bit. Also realise I'm right on the cusp of hitting level 38, "Great!" I think, I'll be super over my bag limit when it gives me that stuff, but I can be pretty reckless with items for a while to spend those free ultra balls and berries.

I approach the stop, just about to tap it, when suddenly "YourPal291" received 2 items from your gift! "You and YourPal291 are now Great Friends! Here's 10,000 XP!" "Oh poo poo you're level 38 now! Here's a ton of items to put you 50 over your item limit!!!!"

:negative:

Proceed to immediately dumping all those extra items so I can spin the stop and get my needed streak bonus and research task

:negative:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Articuno day happened to coincide with me attending the local comiccon downtown, so I joined a raid train (just spot the guy dressed as Ash :v: ) and hit a bunch of gyms in that area.

Now have an ex-raid pass for one of the raids, but as it happens it's at 5:30pm which is doable. It's just normally a time I'd be going to a real gym is all...

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

GPTribefan posted:

Youngstown goon??? I was at that comicon and probably was in said raid train. Got myself 1 shiny freezerbirb and so did my daughter!

Nope, Montréal! I would have specified if it had occurred to me that there could be more than one of those going on at the same time.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Beachcomber posted:

Cross promotion for Let's Go Eevee?

That doesn't release until November though, so it's a bit early for max hype

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I have both a work group and a neighbourhood group, and I'm super glad that they're all pretty chill. The worst I see is "hold up I'm just a few minutes away.... Wait nevermind I can't make it" and people calling out for assistance when they're trying to find something rare.

Probably helps that it's mainly in a language I can only partially read. It also helps that the group is fairy strict about the agreed time, you don't make it, then too bad and we'll see you at the next one.

The density of gyms probably contributes a lot as well, raids aren't hard to come by, so it's not worth stressing over.

Ps. Caught a perfect and a shiny today, but not a perfect shiny, so mad. :argh:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Just burned through my 6 Charged TMs trying to get Thundershock for my perfect Zapdos, just bounced back and forth between Zap Cannon and Thunder :reject:

I think TMs only come in from 3* and above. Or at least, they're definitely possible on 4*s

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

Get yourself a gotcha. You never know!

How can you see a ditto, but not catch it? I'm pretty sure gyms don't count, right?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

They count for 1 total. Those are gotcha attempts, meaning I missed the Pidgey or rat or whatever

But you can't tell if that rat that ran away was a ditto until you successfully catch it? My pokedex shows a perfect ditto catch rate.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

I had *just* compiled a list of mons to evolve to fill out gaps in my pokedex (including gender, shinies, etc) And I was reading this thread (on the toilet lol) just before hatching a lucky egg to work through those evolves.

Maaaaybe I'll hold off for just a week more on that job.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Willsun posted:

I stopped waiting for item storage sales because the last time they did that was for the launch of gen 2 and nothing came for gen 3. Probably one of those things they regretted doing if they're looking at their bottom line.

That item storage bonus probably came with the introduction of pinap and nanab berries, which would justify doing it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

They're still good for trading since the IVs reset, right?

I think the IVs can only become worse (within a certain margin), they don't go completely random again. Someone feel free to correct me on this.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I like how if you complete the quest to transfer 10 pokemon to the candy grinder, you get haunted by a wailing ghost

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Well now I feel better about spending this weekend at a cottage deep in the Canadian wilderness with patchy internet. I still have ~1300 eevee candy from back when they were a lot more common.

Gonna miss out on the shinies though

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Man landing 3 excellent throws in a row is hard

I can get up to 2 in a row, but I refuse to ditch the challenge out of pride. I can do this.

The tricky part is if you find a pokemon you're able to get a good chance of an excellent on, all your excellent throws are going to result in you catching the drat thing, then you have to attempt on whatever other mon is nearby. You have to hope the thing breaks out of your excellent throws, and doesn't run away in the process.

My Raikou is due tomorrow, so hopefully I can drug that thing up with bananas and throw a ton of red balls at it. But I'm already running low on red balls from all my other previous attempts on wild pokemon lol. It's also the first time I'm needing to hoard nanabs instead of firing them off at the next gym I come across.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

FistEnergy posted:

I did that today. Just find a Tauros. Easy peasey.

I did, the fucker ran

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

Try Nosepass. Huge circle and low catch rate makes it likely to pop out and try again.

A Sealo happened to spawn outside my workplace on my way back home!

900ish CP as well, so catch chance was low. First ball was Excellent, second ball was Excellent, third ball missed by a hair, but I figured I had such an easy time with the first 2, that a re-do should go okay.

Then that 3rd ball became a critical catch. This loving Game.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

Special research tasks:

"catch 2 dittos in a row"

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

pubic works project posted:

Well yeah because you were needlessly a huge rear end in a top hat. It wasn't mild or sarcasm and your attempt to play it off and walk it back is really pathetic.

I didn't read every word and missed one thing. Probably because I was at work. Then I asked a dumb question. Oops. I'll be sure to triple read everything now and then check with you before I ask a question from now on. I'm sure you've never said anything dumb before. Oh.....oh wait....

Back in my day, failure to R>C>P was probatable

You sound very angry

• Locked thread