Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm in a water biome so there are more Wailmers now than there were before, which is great. My main issue is I didn't get enough candy to get to Sceptile so I'm probably stuck until either I get lucky with a nest or the weather gets better to boost grass spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

To be fair, Niantic has said if you raid more and have more gold gyms, you have a better chance to get an EX pass. It might only be 1% chance higher than a casual. So when a bunch of people who barely raid get the EX passes, and high level daily raiders who keep as many gold gyms as possible, get none, you don't see why people get angry? You do what Niantic says increases your chances, because everything else is 'anecdotal.'

No, I don't. Just because a lot of people believe "increased chance" means "guaranteed" doesn't make it true.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Parrotine posted:

The hardcore shouldn't be given more tools to 'game' the system with, but they should be given something instead of nothing at all.

They're given a better chance at EX passes. There has to be some randomness in the system otherwise the only people to ever get passes will be level 40 players with 1000+ raids and casual/f2p players will never even see a Mewtwo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Parrotine posted:

I never said it should be targeted specifically for harcores, what is this noise you're drumming up. I said it should give you a better chance to get one.

It does. A better chance doesn't mean your primary account will definitely get one, and a worse chance doesn't mean your alt won't.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Parrotine posted:

the more seasoned ones get forever locked out of the games most coveted mon :rolleyes:

Good thing this isn't actually happening:

Parrotine posted:

I'm not upset over this, I already got a Mewtwo on my primary account.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

If all the legendaries were one per trainer, same with Mewtwo, I'd be totally fine with the EX system entirely.

I agree with this. The whole point of legendaries is that they're meant to be extremely hard to catch but when you've got people with 50+ caught of them it ruins that idea somewhat.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The game bases its auto-selects off the moves the Kyogre has, so if it picks Groudon it'll have Thunder, or if it picks Exeggutor it won't have Blizzard.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I caught Kyogre on my first raid with my first ball, I don't know what y'all are complaining about :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I feel dumb because I don't get it.

It's start/release points for the throw and how you should spin it. Personally I wouldn't bother throwing at Kyogre at the edges, just wait for it to come back into the center, it's not like you're under a time limit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Caught a wild Breloom today which is great since I've never even seen a Shroomish. Now I just need one for the dex rather than having to wait for a nest to pop or hatching one then walking ~80km.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Psychobabble! posted:

Can someone enlighten me why Pikachu with surf is something remotely to give a poo poo about? Honest question. Unless it has a surf board I pretty much could care less.

"to celebrate community day we're giving you a Pikachu which looks the same but is actually worse" is just about the most Niantic thing imaginable.

e: I suppose when (if) PvP comes in you could have your Pikachu fire off one Surf before it gets ground into dust by a Tyranitar.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 20, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chairman Mao posted:

They're only releasing it for three hours. Tons of people are going to miss it. The dick move would be making it a good Pokemon.

The dick move is having a "community appreciation day" that only lasts for 3 hours and is entirely after dark in Europe and the far East.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

flatluigi posted:

It's dark at noon in Europe?

...oops. I didn't realise they'd changed times for this, everything else they've done has been purely based on PST.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there any reason the icon for a Pokemon in a gym has changed color?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
That's much better. Don't give a poo poo about the special move but 3x dust and Dratinis everywhere are both really useful.

e: hopefully it's windy that day too.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Not likely if Surf Pikachu is any indication.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It feels like quite a few of the gen 3 water spawns are rare, I'm in a water biome and haven't managed to evolve Corphish or Carvanha, and the only reason I've got Whiscash is I caught a wild one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DeadlyHalibut posted:

On the other hand we live on top of a "lake", small water spot, we've had all the water spawns here.

Plenty of carvanha and corphish, wailmers and feebas.

Has it been raining there too? We've mostly had cloudy so that might be overriding the biome to some extent.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Caught a Anorith down the street from me, guess they're crazy rare.

Niantic needs to beef up the Gen3 spawns in general. I get that they need to balance between the three generations but the common crap is drowning out the more fun stuff.

Anorith were all loving over for me today, I guess because it was partly cloudy. Evolved one Armaldo and caught another wild one. Loads of Whismurs around too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There are no good gym defenders. Everything is easily killable because the attacker's set their team up in advance with the best counters to whatever's in the gym.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ballz posted:

What strange part of the world do you live that you have not been able to get Tangela?

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a wild one but they were pretty common hatches in gen 1.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know it's random and the nests are likely generated by computer random logs but there is no reason we should have so many gen 1 nests and few to no Gen 2 nests and 1 to 2 gen 3 nests.

Likewise there is no reason so many of the eggs have to be from gen 1 by this point. They removed the rat in Pidgey and they really should remove several of the others like Ponyta Growlithe the male and female Nidoran Etc.

There are more mons in gen 1 than 2 or what's been released of 3, plus a decent chunk of gen 2 are babies and evolves that need items, none of which spawn at all.

If you're going to take earlier gen mons out of the game then it really has to be all or nothing. Ponyta and Growlithe for example are pretty rare where I am, I'd much rather get rid of Goldeen and Poliwag.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
At the very least, Spheal, Duskull and Skitty should be moved down to 2ks, and Zigzagoon and Gulpin should be removed entirely. Could do with another 10k as well, maybe when the last wave hits we'll get Bagon or Beldum.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Dragon raids should be pretty straightforward, relatively common mons like Cloyster or Piloswine will tear through a Dragonite no problem.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Beastyfella posted:

I would've never thought I'd be hoping for a partly cloudy day, but that trilobite thing is a super rare spawn otherwise.

For some reason it seems to be the most weather-affected of any spawn. Any other weather you'll never see one, but if it's partly cloudy they're just everywhere.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Yep, Lunatone is semi-rare here in the UK but I've never seen a Solrock ever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is there any point to getting every form of Castform apart from for completionists?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
300km later I've finally evolved an Ampharos to complete gen 2. Not sure what to walk now, I don't have a Bagon or a decent Feebas so I think it'll have to be Beldum.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm seeing Luvdisc anywhere but no Chansey, which is a shame. Still, 300 dust is 300 dust.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

This pun gets my spheal of approval.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is anyone else getting the Team Rocket notification popping up after every catch? It's driving me insane.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spawn rates are right up too, I'm seeing Growlithe all over somewhere where they might usually spawn once a week.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This is the best event. Doggos everywhere :3:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chairman Mao posted:

I don't really care very much what gets cranked up to triple stardust, it could be pidgeys for all I care. I missed the party hat pikachu last year though so I'm pretty happy.

Pidgeys would be much better, Pikachu over 100CP are a pain in the rear end to catch. I did get my first ever shiny though :toot:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I have no idea how many 0%s I've caught because I really can't be hosed appraising every single birdrat trashmon I come across.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Also, double XP until the 16th and gym raids will reflect battles for wind specific Pokemon. Hoping for Dragonite.

Are they bringing in new ones or just boosting the current ones? I was just expecting more Alakazam and Exeggutor rather than anything new.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Finally managed to evolve an Altaria - how the gently caress is that supposed to be worth 400 candy?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Entropist posted:

Mine is at the exact same date and time as the last pass I got, but in a different part of the city across a river that can only be crossed by ferry! Great job Niantic

Yep, you got them, they looked up the location of the gym then went through the local ferry timetable just so they could make it as inconvenient as possible for you personally.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Entropist posted:

They could have added some check to prevent people getting two passes at the exact same hour... I also raided at other gyms that got ex raids later in the afternoon.

I don't think catering to the ultra-whales who might be eligible for multiple EX passes on the same day is really Niantic's main focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's amazing how people will complain about anything. "I did loads of raids and didn't get a pass!" has now become "I did loads of raids and can't use both my passes!"

• Locked thread