Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't generally care about box office numbers; I just think they're interesting. :shrug: I used to be very interested in following music charts even though a lot of my favourite music never got anywhere near them. I just thought it was interesting in a "what are people listening to" way and, as a corollary to that, "why did this flop and what are the implications of that?"

I'll happily stop talking about it if people want me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sergio Leone once wanted to make a Mandrake the Magician movie, after he'd made a Phantom movie (he started writing one and scouting locations but never got further than that).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At least we seem to have stopped saying, "This is the one that's finally going to sink Marvel! They've gone too far this time!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Star Wars has fallen on HAAAAAAAAARD TIIIIIIIIIIIMES, DADDEH!

Good ol' Lawd Vadah's 275 pounds o' natural red-eyed soul, daddeh!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Revenant made half a billion dollars, Django Unchained made $400m and The Lone Ranger made a quarter billion dollars. They're not dominating the box office but they've still got a sizable audience when the studios can be bothered putting the effort in.

Lone Ranger was a notorious bomb, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically Pirates of the Caribbean with cowboys instead of pirates. Same director, producer, screenwriter and Johnny Depp.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best modern western = Broken Arrow from 1996.

(It's about a train robbery in the desert and it has an abandoned mine, what more do you want?)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best original superhero movie: Darkman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Wild Wild West is a western horrible movie.

It's near the top of both the list of movies I was most excited for as a kid and the list of movies I was most disappointed by.

CelticPredator posted:

Bone tomahawk is a western horror movie

Here's my idea for one of those Star Wars spin-off movies: Bone Tomahawk, except with Tusken Raiders.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I... I like Wild Wild West :negative:

It’s just so absurd that it becomes entertaining

There's one really odd scene where Will Smith and Kenneth Branagh are swapping insults in a way which amounts to, "Haha, you're black!" vs "Haha, you're disabled!" and I remember when I watched it again more recently, all I could think was, "It's like if Quentin Tarantino made a PG movie."

Jim West as a black lawman trying to investigate former Confederate aristocrats in the Deep South at the height of Reconstruction is one of those things that I'm not sure how to feel about. The movie is clearly aware of the implications but, because it's a light action movie for kids, doesn't really know how to engage with it.

I was going to say "I have no idea how the could gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie so badly" but I went and googled and discovered that there was also a 1981 film which was a terrible flop and a 2003 TV movie which no one liked. Apparently it's really easy to gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie??? :shrug:

Yeah, it was the one-two punch of Legend of the Lone Ranger and Raise the Titanic that wrecked what until then had been an almost exclusively successful career for Lew Grade as a producer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It got three horrible sequels

And a TV series!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stink Billyums posted:

The best thing about Wild Wild West is Kevin Smith's story about Jon Peters

My favourite part of the Superman Lives story isn't the giant spider; it's Jon Peters seeing Dead Man Walking and recommending Sean Penn as a good candidate to play Superman on the basis that he had "the eyes of a loving killer" which is obviously the first priority when it comes to casting Superman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That reminds me: there's that Tomb Raider movie coming out this year and as I recall there was talk a couple of years ago that it could be the launchpad for (you guessed it!) a shared cinematic universe involving Just Cause, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief. Granted, that was in 2015 when everyone was chasing the shared universe dragon, but I bet they'll give it a go if Tomb Raider does well.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure about Tomb Raider's prospects. It just looks like one of those ones you get that ends up being a hit, but maybe not the hit it needed to be (see also: Amazing Spider-Man 2). Granted, I don't really play video games, so I don't know what the Tomb Raider franchise's stock is at the moment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

***ATTENTION WHEAT LOAF THE LAST JEDI IS NOW THE #1 MOVIE WORLDWIDE OF 2017***

http://deadline.com/2018/01/jumanji...ice-1202242887/

...that's $1,265,000,000 worldwide if you are counting (lots more than $900)

carry on everyone

Welp, that's the way it goes. :shrug: I was going to say that I think I'll still be right about Solo underperforming but expectations for it seem so low (:haw:) at this point that I'm not sure it can unless it flat-out bombs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Briefly going in the other direction, there was a period around 2005 or 6 when a whole bunch of video game adaptations of classic movies were proposed. We could have had Dirty Harry, Heat and (most mystifyingly) Taxi Driver games. That last one actually got a decent way into development, to the point of having a playable demo. We actually did get an awful Reservoir Dogs game (with none of the original actors voices or likenesses)

It was sort of amazing that everyone had the same terrible idea at once.

I remember there was a From Russia With Love one; I think Sean Connery recorded new dialogue for it and it's one of his last performances in anything ever.

From Russia With Love is one of the best movies in the series but it seems like an odd choice if you're going to mine the back catalogue to make a game adaptation of a 45 year old movie. Would've thought Goldfinger or Spy Who Loved Me would be a more obvious choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Toy Story 2 tie-in game for the PS1 ("Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue") was pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

This would make a fun movie if as you suggest 47 is just in the background until the hit is on. Like you could make a movie like Traffic which follows bad guys or certain people's lives, segmented, and then during the climax of the movie it turns out that lamp? IT WAS THE HITMAN *SILENCED GUNSHOT!*" and that dog in the background? IT WAS THE HITMAN *DEATH BY NECK BITE!* and a family having dinner at the table? *KILLED BY FALLING AIRPLANE THANKS TO THE HITMAN!*

Maybe there should be Scud the Assassin movie instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

One of the more amusing reasons I have seen cited for this outcome is that the actors "weren't pretty enough" for China and that if Will Smith had been in it, it would've been huge. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TIL Oscar Isaac and Daisy Ridley “weren’t pretty enough” for China

According to this article it was criticised for "insulting the audience's IQ" but I'm not entirely clear on how exactly.

Some bits and pieces from said article:

quote:

Chen Tao, who runs a Chinese Star Wars fan forum, cites that, given its lack of exposure with audiences in the country, the discovery that The Last Jedi was the eighth film in the series makes it feel impossible to catch up on the entire saga, dismaying the casual fan from seeing the latest installment.

quote:

Another factor in the disappointing reception in China, according to Tao, has to do with Chinese audiences gravitating towards films featuring traditionally attractive stars and films more rooted in reality.

“These actors aren’t very beautiful, which may deter a lot of Chinese from seeing the recent films,” Tao told SixthTone. “We fans often joke that if Finn were played by Will Smith, Chinese people might be more inclined to watch it — because he’s very handsome.”

With beauty being subjective, Tao's comments could also be interpreted as the film lacking recognizable American actors that fit a more traditional "Hollywood" appearance.

quote:

“For a lot of fans, the story of Rogue One made us think of our own country’s revolutionary history,” Tao pointed out. “A lot of characters in it were just like the Communist Party members who sacrificed themselves for the revolution.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

One of the John Wick guys (Stahelski) is also involved in the upcoming John Wick TV show on Starz, which will likely feature Ian McShane's character in a recurring role. No word on Keanu's involvement yet, though.

That's The Continental, right? I've heard Reeves is going to be in it on an occasional basis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I thought it was more 'the guy who cleans up at the end of the action movie' but yours works too.

So he's Harvey Keitel at the end of the Bridget Fonda movie Point of No Return? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

If anything E.T. was too ambitious. Spielberg suggested they make something nice and simple like Pacman but the developer, Howard Scott Warshaw, had big ideas about making the biggest most complex game Atari had ever made even with the insanely tight schedule.

I remember the BBC did a feature on the E.T. game which included an interview with the developer and he said he was quite gratified to have developed both a game many people considered the worst (E.T.) and one that has been described as one of the best (Yars' Revenge).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

21 Muns posted:

I have never heard of Yars' Revenge and I am pretty sure that it is significantly lesser-known than the E.T. game. :v:

Me neither, but it was apparently the best-selling original title on the Atari 2600.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

All numbers are lies. Think about it, have you ever actually seen a number? Touched a number? Didn't think so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that movie on an aeroplane. I don't know if it's the first time I watched a movie and thought "This is a bad movie" (ordinarily, I enjoy most movies when I see them, then come to dislike them after the fact) but only because I don't remember if I saw it before or after The Golden Compass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Say hello to Hollywood's newest Shared Cinematic UniverseTM with Saw v Cube: Dawn of Ironic Deathtraps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This will be for my mum what Paddington was for my dad. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pospysyl posted:

Ignoring everything else, Domhnall Gleason as Farmer McGregor is inspired casting. Man was born to play a mean farmer.

Gleeson is playing the son of the "original" Mr McGregor, who's being played by Sam Neill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

His two crippling flaws really exacerbate each other. His weird, high pitched laugh wouldn't be quite so annoying if he could ever stop laughing at his own jokes.

Also, he comes across as a massive creep, and I'm surprised a story hasn't already come out.

One thing I've heard is that Corden has a very sycophantic personality; he is easily awed by all the famous people he meets, as I think any instalment of Carpool Karaoke should make amply clear, but for a somewhat more unsettling example, you can look at how chummy he was being with Sean Spicer at the Emmy (?) awards show.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think this does raise the interesting question of whether or not a film has a responsibliity towards depicting historical events in an accurate manner. Amadeus, for instance, is an amazing work of art, but it's obviously doing a great disservice to the real Salieri.

I used to really like the movie Ray until I learned they just invented stuff; for example, Ray being banned from entering the state of Georgia for 20 years was something that never happened. I don't understand what the point of it was, when Ray Charles faced plenty of real adversity in his life and career.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how every year there's at least one big, expensive would-be blockbuster that unceremoniously flames out? For instance, last year, it was the King Arthur movie with Charlie Hunnam. What is it most likely to be this year?

Other than Solo, obviously.

Jurassic World 2, perhaps? A Wrinkle In Time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

I don’t think Solo will lose money

It might make money because it is a Star Wars movie, but because it is a Star Wars movie, it will have been an expensive production and then the cost of the reshoots, which I am given to understand have been extensive, has to be considered on top of that.

Granted, Disney probably isn't worried even though they reportedly expect it to underperform, since their other movies (Black Panther, Avengers etc.) will probably do well enough to compensate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised by how well Jurassic World did; I was looking forward more to Star Wars in 2015 because I'd never been a huge Jurassic Park fan and didn't think there was a great deal of nostalgia for the series, but it should probably have been obvious to me that kids will always love anything with dinosaurs in it.

As far as competition goes, the biggest movie to debut immediately after it was Minions, but it had about a month where there was no major competition from any big "tentpole" movies and then the first one it did encounter was Terminator Genisys, which underperformed.

It was the same story with Star Wars; Force Awakens had about a month before anything that could get any of its audience showed up, in this case Kung Fu Panda 3. Conversely, Last Jedi's comparative underperformance (edit: and because I have so thoroughly discredited myself on the question, I'll note that it underperformed only in comparison to how much Force Awakens overperformed) must be, in some small part, because of Jumanji 2 being such a good competitor.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 21, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Nah, the winner last year has to be the Tom Cruise Mummy in a landslide, a movie that bombed so horribly it killed an entire franchise / universe.

Haha, the Dark Universe.

I was quite looking forward to it because I enjoy the concept but my interest plummeted dramatically when I heard it was going to be set in the present day rather than the 1930s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

It doesn't help that there are shots in the trailer that look fantastic and then these big sweeping grand shots look like ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Just cheap looking. Of course, that movie ended up making a ton of money anyway.

You mean Tim Burton's JOHNNY DEPP is THE MAD HATTER in Alice In Wonderland?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Jet posted:

I feel like the winner of biggest bomb of 2017 would have to be Valerian, no?

I haven't seen Valerian but my impression was that it was a movie people were disappointed had failed rather than a disaster on every level like The Mummy or King Arthur.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The main legacy of The Mummy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what about the biggest bomb of all the FAILING last jedi lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent posted:

When did you change your av from Uncle Scrooge to ...erhm...late 60's Tony Stark?

That's the late Peter Wyngarde. I had been meaning to change my avatar for a while but couldn't think of anything to replace it with, then after Peter Wyngarde's death at 90 was announced last week, I though I'd go with a picture of him in his most famous role: Jason King (star of Department S and Jason King). You might know him as General Klytus from Flash Gordon.

He was a bit of a sex symbol in the 70s and once ended up hospitalised during a trip to Australia when he was mobbed by admiring female fans who got a bit carried away (and it was probably all for nought, because he was gay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Last Jedi did so bad that including it on the list will cloud out all the other movies so it is best left off

Indeed, it bombed harder than Sir Arthur Harris in 1945. :v:

More seriously, the narrative around The Last Jedi quite separately from the movie itself has been very interesting to watch. I think this must be the first movie ever to make over a billion dollars worldwide and finish up as the highest-grossing release of its year and still have people insisting that it is a failure.

I realise the Internet wasn't then what it is today, but did people muse on the failure of Attack of the Clones when it was handily outperformed by Spider-Man, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings? It's the only Star Wars movie so far that wasn't the number one movie in America in its year of release (it will soon be joined by Solo, simply because even if Solo outstrips expectations, I don't think it's going to beat Avengers 3 and it probably won't beat Black Panther or Jurassic World 2 either), and in 2002, it wasn't even in second place.