Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Prologue the First: Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

The Middle of Nowhere
May 4, 2040

(FADE IN on an OLD CRT TELEVISION)

: What if I told you that there was once a coach who started his career in ignominy.

: What if I told you that he was given another chance by a small town club with ancient roots.

: What if I told you that he became the greatest football coach in the world.

: What if I told you that they called him the “God King of Wales.”

: What if I told you that he walked away from his club to bring glory to his nation.

: What if I told you there were challenges beyond even him.

: What if I told you that on the day of his downfall, he vanished, and was never seen again.

: This is 30 for 30: The Death of a God-King.

(The OLD CRT TELEVISION clicks off. Camera pans back to reveal a dilapidated shack, covered in empty beer cans. A MAN sits with his back to the camera, slunk in a ratty old recliner)

: S'bullshit. All Gulati's fault.

(The MAN tenses for a moment, and then sighs)

: Ok, not all his fault. Mainly my fault.

(The MAN covers his face and weeps, cut to REVERSE SHOT showing a SHADOWED FIGURE behind the MAN in the chair)

: It doesn't have to be this way, you know.

: What?! Who's there?

(The MAN struggles to his feet, we can see his STAINED AND TATTERED BATHROBE barely covering his aging body)

: Everything can be made right, for a price.

: Nothing can make this right. I would have to go back in time.

: I can help you with that. Terms and conditions will apply, naturally.

: … I'm not 100% sure about this.

: Close enough for me!

(The SHADOWED FIGURE grabs the MAN'S hand, SMASH CUT TO BLACK)

A Back Alley in Boston
June 26, 2017

(A WOMAN in a too large STAINED AND TATTERED BATHROBE pulls herself from a garbage dumpster. She looks around, and sees the SHADOWED FIGURE)

: What the hell was that?

: Exactly what you wanted. A second chance.

(the WOMAN looks down at herself, then back to the SHADOWED FIGURE, then back to herself)

: And what the hell did you do to me?!

: I did say terms and conditions would apply.

(The WOMAN stares at the SHADOWED FIGURE and fumes, as his pocket begins to ring. The SHADOWED FIGURE holds up a hand to the WOMAN)

: One minute, I need to take this. Hello, sir?

: Hey, Lou. How's it going? I told you to come right back with my McDonald's order. What's taking you so long?

(The SHADOWED FIGURE blanches, as much as a SHADOWED FIGURE can blanch)

: Uh, right nearby sir. Just got caught up telling someone how great you are, sir. Be right there.

(The SHADOWED FIGURE looks at the WOMAN, and makes a decision)

: Look, you remember how you got your first job? Just start from the beginning again. Here's some clothes. I've gotta run. Have fun!

(The SHADOWED FIGURE tosses a SUIT BAG at the WOMAN, and then vanishes in a puff of SULPHURUS SMOKE, leaving the woman CHAGRINED)

: Well. Crap.

(The WOMAN looks around, and then steps into a secluded doorway, returning to view a short time later, now dressed)

: At least the clothes fit, kinda. Now where the hell am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Table of Contents

PRELUDE
May 4, 2040-June 26, 2017
Prologue the First: Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Prologue the Second: Consulting the Ancestors
Prologue the Third: Over the Rainbow

VOLUME I: New Beginnings
June 26, 2017-July 3, 2018
Chapter the First: Friendly Faces Everywhere
Chapter the Second: Making Herstory
Chapter the Third: Filling Up on Fullbacks
Chapter the Fourth: Tweetstorms
Chapter the Fifth: Forward March
Chapter the Sixth: Objects in the Mirror May Be Closer Than They Appear
Interlude: Progress Reports
Chapter the Seventh: Seeing Red
Chapter the Eighth: Six More Weeks of Winter
Chapter the Ninth: The Final Push
Epilogue: Basking in the Afterglow
Appendix: The Year in Football/ Fußball/Futball/Calcio/Soccer, 2017-2018

VOLUME II: Stand and Be Judged
July 3, 2018-July 1, 2019
Prologue: Agent De Comite
Chapter the First: Feet First.
Chapter the Second: Reversion to the Mean.
Chapter the Third: Waving, Not Drowning.
Chapter the Fourth: Put Up or Shut Up.
Chapter the Fifth: The Devil Made Me Do It.
Chapter the Sixth: The Siege of Serravalle.
Chapter the Seventh: In the Hunt.
Chapter the Eighth: Playoffs!? Playoffs!?!?!
Epilogue: Board Coup!
Appendix: The Year in Football/ Fußball/Futball/Calcio/Soccer, 2018-2019

VOLUME III: Climbing the Mountain of Conflict
July 1, 2019-July 1, 2020
Prologue: Trialists and Tribulations
Chapter the First: Spendthrift.
Chapter the Second: C Cup Agonistes.
Chapter the Third: Meet the New Boss, Same As The Old Boss.
Chapter the Fourth: Lorenzo Carissoni's Big Mistake.
Chapter the Fifth: Ascent.
Chapter the Sixth: Frustrations Galore.
Chapter the Seventh: A Quiet Window.
Chapter the Eighth: The Serie C Cup Gets No Respect.
Chapter the Ninth: Hardware.
Chapter the Tenth: Stomping Past the Graveyard.
Chapter the Eleventh: The Wholly Unnecessary Guardian Minute By Minute of the Serie C Promotion Playoffs!
Epilogue: Glories Upon Honors Upon Recognitions.
Appendix: The Year in Football/ Fußball/Futball/Calcio/Soccer, 2019-2020

VOLUME IV: One Thousand to One.
July 1, 2020-July 1, 2021

Prologue: Tony, Toni, Tone, the Belle of the Summer Window.
Chapter the First: The TIM Coppa Italia, Now With A Dash of Microstate Flavor.
Chapter the Second: The Big Leagues.
Chapter the Third: Pivot. PIVOT. PIVOT!!!
Chapter the Fourth: Mediocrity, Happy Mediocrity.

Trophy Case

Serie D Girone F Champions
2017-2018 Season

Coppa Italia Serie C
2019-2020 Season

Italia Serie C Promotion Playoff
2019-2020 Season

Selected Fanzine Items

Manolo Pestrin During A Team Meeting.
by NiftyBottle

Statement of Chairman Captain Foo on the sale of Samuel Stecca
by frankenfreak

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 23, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Prologue the Second: Consulting with the Ancestors

For those who are completely bewildered by that opening, this is a new Football Manager LP. Some of you may remember my FM14 LP, which never quite got finished because I couldn't even make it out of the group round of the 2030 World Cup as the Americans and that's no way to end what had previously been a legendary career. For those of you who didn't read the old one, you won't realize that I'm plagiarizing myself below:

habeasdorkus in 2013 posted:

What is Football Manager?

Football Manager is similar to a Paradox game in many ways. Imagine Crusader Kings 2 as a sports simulation.

That's what it's like. What is it?

Football Manager by Sports Interactive is perhaps the most addictive set of spreadsheets in the history of computing. It's also referring to soccer, not American football.

Unlike most sports games, where you take control of either a complete team or an individual player and most of the action occurs in a slickly produced game engine, Football Manager leaves you standing on the sideline shouting at the PS2 quality polygons representing your players to switch tactics while they run around bulging the auld onion bag.

Your job is to run the team. That means scouting players, negotiating contracts with them, negotiating transfers for players you want if they're already under contract with another team, designing your teams tactics and setting training schedules, hiring coaching staff, trainers, and scouts, and giving press conferences where you intimate to the press that you think your upcoming opponents have a better chance of being struck by lightning than beating you.

Most importantly, you don't need to know that much about soccer to start playing, beyond a basic knowledge of how soccer positions work.

What's a Lower League Manager?

Lower League Manager is a way of playing Football Manager where you don't start off as one of the worldbeating megabastard clubs such as Barcelona or Manchester United. You don't even start off in the top division. Or the second division. Instead, you take some team languishing in the bottom rungs of professional soccer, and raise them through the ranks and to glory. In my last LP, I took little Wrexham from afterthought to biggest club in the world.

None of that last paragraph made sense to me except the term megabastard.

Unlike pro sports in America, membership of the top leagues in Europe change each year by a process called relegation. For example, in England the top level is the Premier League, where the bottom 3 of the 20 team league are kicked out of and forced to play the next season in the Championship. Meanwhile, three teams from the Championship are promoted to the Premier League and the riches it entails. An unlucky team can find themselves going broke, getting relegated, losing all their good players, remaining broke, getting relegated for a second time, losing all their not so good players, and getting relegated for a third time. Portsmouth fans can tell you how painful that is from experience.

On top of league play, there's also Cup competitions. Depending on the country these range from pretty prestigious (Englands FA cup) to an afterthought (The Coppa Italia). These competitions can include literally hundreds of teams, ranging from the best in the country to local pub squads.

Finally, if a team from Europe finishes well in the top national league, they play next season in either the Europa League or the Champions League. The Champion's League is the most sought after title in all of professional soccer. It's where the biggest teams and most famous players from every single country in Europe play each other for glory and enough money to satisfy Croesus. Below that is the Europa League, which is vastly less prestigious but still very much worth winning as the winner automatically qualifies for the next years Champions League. Similar continental competitions exist across the globe, ranging in quality from the world class Copa Libertadores in South America to the completely ignored North American Champions League

Our goal is to have a gigantic pile of hardware laying affront the shattered corpses of the former giants of European Football. The ideal season would be “doing the triple” which entails winning the top national league, the top national cup competition, and the continental league all at once.

:siren:Who The Heck Are We?:siren:

From time to time I will be asking y'all to make decisions, and the first one is a biggie. Who am I going to coach to glory? I have no real preference, outside of a league that's deep enough to require several promotions to reach the top level and on a continent that has highly regarded continental honors to seek.

I also have a game loaded up with every league available and set to playable, if you'd like to inquire about anything, and if your suggestion is a club that isn't usually playable but can be added via workshop/mod, go ahead because I'm already going to be modding this game with facepacks and real competition names.

So, make your cases for Knucklehead FC below, the clock begins now and runs until someone makes a recommendation I can't resist and/or Sunday, January 7 at 1pm EST.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 15, 2018

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Yesss, 2018 is already off to a great start. Looking very much forward to this LP, habeas.
(Not going to suggest an FC because we don't need more Bavarian Megabastards running around.)

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
As a poor soul out in the wasteland of the US, about the only European team I know about is Accrington Stanley, and that is due to the milk commercials.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Spennymoor Town FC

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I have no real preference, outside of a league that's deep enough to require several promotions to reach the top level and on a continent that has real

If I'm reading this right, and you don't wan't to fully climb the pyramid like the last time, I will suggest Parma or AFC Wimbeldon. If I'm reading it wrong and you don't mind, then Sheffield FC in the 8th tier is my suggestion. They're the first FC ever.

Nice to see you back. Hopefully Lou did(n't) send you to this universe

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dreamsicle posted:

If I'm reading this right, and you don't wan't to fully climb the pyramid like the last time, I will suggest Parma or AFC Wimbeldon.

Nice to see you back. Hopefully Lou did(n't) send you to this universe

AFC Wimbledon or Kingstonian.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I could be basic and suggest my club, which is also the only club. I will not to that, so I suggest Ungmennafélagið Stjarnan

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

If I'm reading this right, and you don't wan't to fully climb the pyramid like the last time, I will suggest Parma or AFC Wimbeldon. If I'm reading it wrong and you don't mind, then Sheffield FC in the 8th tier is my suggestion. They're the first FC ever.

I am totally cool with working my way up from the very bottom, sorry about the confusion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Weston-Super-Mare is a hotbed of depression, unemployment and class A drugs. Let's give them something to smile about :unsmith:

schnibs
Jan 10, 2006
I know this corner of the earth, it smiles at me
Bedlington Terriers or Gateshead. Bring glory to the North East (finally)!

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Way to make me immediately regret not buying FM18 during Steam's holiday sale. :(

I know you'll probably end up playing in England because they have the deepest playable league structure, but I'll go ahead and make a suggestion of A.S. Livorno, currently in Serie C, entirely because they have some of the most famously leftist supporters in the world. Death to Lazio!

Too bad Serie D is apparently not playable, otherwise I'd suggest San Marino Calcio.

Edit: If you want to play in England, may I suggest F.C. United of Manchester, because I just found out that they exist and I find their name and existence hilarious.

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 5, 2018

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Viscardus posted:

Way to make me immediately regret not buying FM18 during Steam's holiday sale. :(

I know you'll probably end up playing in England because they have the deepest playable league structure, but I'll go ahead and make a suggestion of A.S. Livorno, currently in Serie C, entirely because they have some of the most famously leftist supporters in the world. Death to Lazio!

Too bad Serie D is apparently not playable, otherwise I'd suggest San Marino Calcio.

Edit: If you want to play in England, may I suggest F.C. United of Manchester, because I just found out that they exist and I find their name and existence hilarious.

Seconding all of these cool and good suggestions. Imagine what a pain in the rear end it would be for sportswriters if F.C. United of Manchester was in the EPL. :allears:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a East Bumfuckshire FC?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The story behind FC United of Manchester is amazing, it's the fans who were pissed off at the sale of the club to American owners who decided to literally take their ball and go home. That's a strong choice, especially as they're already a fan trust so board elections will happen on the regular.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I am totally cool with working my way up from the very bottom, sorry about the confusion.

In that case, I will limit my suggestion to Sheffield FC. The first and soon, the best club

Viscardus posted:

Habe said there he would mod so if he can find a Serie D mod he can go with that.

Also is that one half of the San Marino challenge or does have to play with a team in the San Marino League?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
FC Edmonton, for being relatively new (founded 2010), being on a poor continent (North America), and if the club folds like they may, Edmonton loses out on the chance to help host FIFA 2026.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In honor of :ussr: hosting the World Cup, I suggest Dynamo Saint Petersburg, who just got promoted to the RNFL.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Dreamsicle posted:

Habe said there he would mod so if he can find a Serie D mod he can go with that.

Also is that one half of the San Marino challenge or does have to play with a team in the San Marino League?

I didn't know about that, but I looked it up and yeah, apparently it is. You lead San Marino Calcio to glory, invest heavily in youth development and such, and eventually the game will start generating better and better Sammarinese players until you can win the World Cup with San Marino (I can't imagine how long that would take, though). I kind of want Habeas to do that now. Better than managing those drat Americans, at least. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh look, another FM LP, man I miss that great old Wrexham one, I wonder what happened to it in the end. I wonder who is doing thi-

quote:

habeasdorkus
Buckle up lads! We've got football to partake of!

As for a team suggestion...

habeasdorkus posted:

The story behind FC United of Manchester is amazing, it's the fans who were pissed off at the sale of the club to American owners who decided to literally take their ball and go home. That's a strong choice, especially as they're already a fan trust so board elections will happen on the regular.

How about FC United of Tackleford? :v:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yesssss!

I saw your name pop up in the WITP thread and thought wouldn't it be awesome to have another FM LP and whaddya know :)

Seconding a vote for FC United, they're a fun back story and they're far enough down the pyramid to give the LP some longevity as you work your way up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh wow, welcome back.

I suggest finding the team with the dumbest name you can and running that

Arsenal doesn’t count

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Delvio posted:

As a poor soul out in the wasteland of the US, about the only European team I know about is Accrington Stanley, and that is due to the milk commercials.

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

Oh wow, welcome back.

I suggest finding the team with the dumbest name you can and running that

Arsenal doesn’t count

You should probably amend that to "dumbest non-MLS name" unless you want to play as Real Salt Lake.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Viscardus posted:

You should probably amend that to "dumbest non-MLS name" unless you want to play as Real Salt Lake.

I’d say there’s like a 99% chance that one of the teams in a Chinese or southeast asian league has a word that’s completely innocuous in its native tongue, but is a synonym for penis in english

A hypothetical FC Dong is the perfect goonteam

Jen X fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 5, 2018

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

inflatablefish posted:

Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Exactly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

GeneX posted:

I’d say there’s like a 99% chance that one of the teams in a Chinese or southeast asian league has a word that’s completely innocuous in its native tongue, but is a synonym for penis in english

Dong Tam Long An FC is the one you are looking for.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

In honor of :ussr: hosting the World Cup, I suggest Dynamo Saint Petersburg, who just got promoted to the RNFL.

One city - one team :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Dong Tam Long An FC is the one you are looking for.

Well there we go!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If there's any sleeping giants out there in lower leagues, I'd certainly be interested in them. One awesome thing about Wrexham was their 19th century bonafides and how we eventually got to bring back the Pyramid.

Right now I'm leaning towards either FC United or San Marino. The San Marino Challenge would certainly fit my playing style of recruiting teenagers for the first team.

Second question for all y'all: What leagues should I have active so that I can give full reports at the end of each year?

Also, I still have the FM14 save, if anyone wants to know what happened to Wrexham and the world after I went Luke Skywalker on them.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 5, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If we're going global, I'd like to nominate my own state of Selangor FA (pronounced Slang-or Eff-Ay :v:), because if you can with a footy game with Malaysians, you are pretty much on par with divinity.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

If there's any sleeping giants out there in lower leagues, I'd certainly be interested in them. One awesome thing about Wrexham was their 19th century bonafides and how we eventually got to bring back the Pyramid.

Right now I'm leaning towards either FC United or San Marino. The San Marino Challenge would certainly fit my playing style of recruiting teenagers for the first team.

Second question for all y'all: What leagues should I have active so that I can give full reports at the end of each year?

Also, I still have the FM14 save, if anyone wants to know what happened to Wrexham and the world after I went Luke Skywalker on them.

MLS, the major European leagues, and Russia, on the off chance of something ridiculous happening there

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The leagues you want are:

1) Europe

- four major leagues (Germany, England, Italy, Spain)
- France
- the second-tier quartet of semi-relevance (Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey)
- optionally: Netherlands and Belgium

2) Americas

- MLS
- Brazil
- Argentina

You can throw Japan and South Korea in the mix if you feel really internationalist

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'd throw France out because we already know who;'s gonna win, but I'd like to see the Netherlands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We already did the UK so I think San Marino will give us that zesty Italianate flavor.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

The team could literally be named Penis FC and it still wouldn't be as stupid a name as Real Salt Lake. :colbert:

Although if you want a team with a rude name you don't need to go all the way to Asia. Just play Scunthorpe. :v:

habeasdorkus posted:

So you're saying my ideas are so good you're having trouble choosing between them? A difficult struggle indeed. Personally I'm all in for San Marino, though. I feel like our new and improved manager deserves a fresh start somewhere new rather than back in the English system. And a Mediterranean vacation couldn't hurt. Plus it would continue the tradition of managing a team from a much smaller nation within a larger nation's league (although the disparity between Wales and England is maybe not quite as big as that between San Marino and Italy).

On an unrelated note, I seem to remember there was a thing in the last thread where you'd give boons to readers that would let them choose one edit to make to the game world. Any chance you'll do that again, perhaps starting with the person who initially suggests the team you end up playing? No particular reason I'm asking, of course.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I really like San Marino since we've been in England before, but AFAIK there's one less trophy to win in Serie A and the Coppa Italia isn't as cool as the FA Cup to me. It's a tough pick.

Out of curiosity, are there any cool French or German minnows? I really want someone to break the PSG/Bayern stranglehold.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

I really like San Marino since we've been in England before

San Marino has it. The only reason to go back to the UK is to see how much Brexit fucks with teams, and we'd still be minnows when that happens.

Viscardus posted:

On an unrelated note, I seem to remember there was a thing in the last thread where you'd give boons to readers that would let them choose one edit to make to the game world. Any chance you'll do that again, perhaps starting with the person who initially suggests the team you end up playing? No particular reason I'm asking, of course.

You remember correctly. Request thy boon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

San Marino has it. The only reason to go back to the UK is to see how much Brexit fucks with teams, and we'd still be minnows when that happens.

Oh, wow, I didn't even think of that. How does the game handle that? Just guess what the new rules will be? Given that we're talking about Brexit I assume none of this is being planned more than five minutes in advance.

habeasdorkus posted:

You remember correctly. Request thy boon!

I didn't really expect that to work, but sure! As a Canadian, I'm tired of my country's national team embarrasssing itself by losing to Central American and Caribbean minnows (even if our good friends the Americans decided to join us this year). I don't remember exactly what goes into talent generation into this game, so I'll just ask that you do whatever you think appropriate to increase Canada's chances of qualifying for a World Cup down the road. :canada: