Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Amppelix posted:

If you want some fun/annoyance/whatever other emotion this may induce, here's almost a thousand people being very mad that the twitch chat isn't as terrible as it is usually https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oreaa/agdq_chat_in_submode_only/

Reading this has been extremely bad for my chill. I hate all of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This MMX Race Belongs on the Best Of List.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ugh it sucks they have to be up here debunking rear end in a top hat YouTube videos about charity raising money

To be fair the videos aren't actually out of concern for charity money, it's just more socially acceptable than saying "they won't let me be a bigot on this internet TV channel"

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it happens occasionally. If that's a real fear, they usually just have backup save files at or around major chokepoints just in case. And sometimes runs just end up getting mercy killed instead

Looking at you "that Pokemon run that requires a frame perfect button press to set the RNG correctly" and led to 2 hours of "it's not supposed to be like this" until the runner could switch carts to the safety save.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

It was this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkKO6ZLIuA

IIRC, the problem is that he wanted a specific seed, but when you save and load a game, you have a different seed for combat damage, etc. I think the position or availability of a certain legendary is set at the time your Trainer ID is set, so he has that saved, but he doesn't have right right combat encounter seed and thus the game is something of a shitshow.

Edit: The MGS3 run was pretty good with some on-stream goon shout outs. The runner suffered from some 60Hz bugs, as well as a few flubs that really rattled him. Fortunately he calmed down enough to finish the game under time, and it was fun to watch for sure.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 9, 2018

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Someone dropped $4000 in an eleventh hour snipe to select Toad for the end of Super Mario 3D world. Amazing.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donation/394138

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Kikas posted:

I also recommend the Half Life Opposing Forces run, which is really good to look at and the commentary was stellar.

Usually I associate Half Life runs with quicksave/quickload mashing and moving millimeters into walls. Does his take a different angle?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This Dragon Warrior run is great. If you liked Gyre and Feasel's RNG seed abuse mechanics last year in FF1, there's more of that here. Kaubocks said it best:

Kaubocks posted:

just being able to call what direction multiple NPCs are going to go in is engaging as hell, jesus

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

It could go all to hell, but the first 10 minutes alone are worth it so far.

Ended up being flawless, and 13 minutes under estimate to boot! Everyone please watch this.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What are the stats on donations so far? How are we tracking compared to last year?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zore posted:

About 15k up right now. The big thing that bumped last year was that insane rush in the final day that dumped over a million into the bank.

Yeah if I recall there was some sort of Anime pack that went over very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Seeded runs of random games are fun to do and not so much fun as a spectator event.

I do that stuff with Monolith but I don't think I would waste everyone's time with a seeded run as a marathon submission. Wouldn't be fun for the audience.

Unseeded can be totally fine I honestly think the ish with ALttP rando is the length because it's goddamn long and for a race that long to wet fart as an ending is pretty blue balling. If the run is like 15 minutes then it's more decisive.

There's a risk with all the races for one team to run away with it, though. I still think it's worth it to have a chance at the ones that are exciting.

I do think ALTTP might be just too long for rando races, though I think Super Metroid could be a whole lot faster and more exciting. Super Metroid also has fewer items to collect, and fewer needed for "go mode", so it's easier for the viewers to follow. ALTTP is a huge game with a lot going on and a lot of items, each with a ton of intricacies.

• Locked thread