Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bloody posted:

basically all good recruiters work freelance because that's where t he big bucks are. corporate recruiters are the bottom of the pack ones that cant cut it solo
LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

The Management posted:

I don’t get it, why would you want to get hired for a job where you literally can’t even do the simplified version on the take home test? what are you going to do when they put real work in front of you?
Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

then you're masturbating on company time
Sounds good to me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

non-competes should be illegal because gently caress someone owning your brain
That's the thing: you can put whatever you like in a contract, but if anything in it is contrary to the law or public policy, it is unenforceable.

California is one such state.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

So apparently there's a lot more than Mindgeek doing the dirty in Montreal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

TimWinter posted:

strong personalities
Is this a euphemism for "assholes"?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Cheekio posted:

Do web developers or devops do any work on the side?
On the weekends I reclaim my dignity by working as a lot lizard.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

the kick in my mouth is the feeling of inadequacy that this whole fruitless job search is giving me. there are no other job ads to submit anymore, the fact that I got no offers at all for this long is signalling to me that I have no place in programming
I can definitely sympathize, but the process is just so dumb and arbitrary that you can't take it personally.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

"We're looking for a developer with experience in Java/JavaScript and Nodej.s"

Lol
A couple of weeks ago I had a call with a dude who 45 minutes in dropped that I might not be a good fit because they were moving to node and I had expressed no small amount of contempt for it.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Space Whale posted:

Actually literally flying out today for an interview tomorrow. :ohdear:

This mean I'm actually decent or just good enough?
It means that you're probably gonna get trafficked.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

thread should be renamed “interviewing and recruiting the turd” quote this if you agree
stop trying to make everything about yourself

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

FMguru posted:

bofa DEEEEZ NUTTTTZ

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

help I'm getting an intern how do find the happy medium between micromanaging and explaining everything down to where the power button on the computer is vs leaving them to the wolves

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

welp got destroyed on amazon's online coding assessment
What did they throw at you?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

they just wanted something which worked
That's right up there with "It's okay, babe, I'll pull out!" on the list of things not to believe.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

also what is there to do in palo alto besides sit in my hotel room and look at cat photos
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=glory+holes&find_loc=Palo+Alto%2C+CA

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

you're always going to get a whiny baby in the on-site interview
Yeah, well that happens when you let programmers do interviews.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

whats the list in default arguments gotcha?
If I remember correctly, it's that the default list is created the first call and reused each subsequent call.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

TimWinter posted:

I'm beginning to see that technical interview questions are more about "do you know what I know" rather than "can you suceed at this job".
Yep, it's a shibboleth.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

pffft who needs to google when you can roll your own posix compliant array implementation

code:
anew()  
{       
        printf %s\\n "$@"
}

alen()
{
        wc -l
}

aset()
{
        sed -e "$1s/.*/$(printf %s\\n "$2" | sed -e 's/[][/*\\.^$]/\\&/g')/"
}       

aref()
{
        sed -ne "$1p"
}
(escaping values is left as an exercise)
you are a monster

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is the correct way to do it but it also assumes that you have the leverage to make that demand
A man-animal with leverage over the company? That'll be the day!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

One of my hobbies has become engaging with and then ghosting 3rd party recruiters and it's pretty much the only reason I still have a linkedin.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Bloody posted:

how the gently caress do i do a phone screen im supposed to screen someone this week
"So, what are you wearing?"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

“Dur hur i wanna paycheck” ok i’ll just take away from this that you don’t think much about your long term career development (which may or may not be relevant to the hiring decision)
Yeah, well, unless you're doing something meaningful, which like 99% of us probably don't, what other factor is really important? A Passion for Big Data? The Need to Crush Code All Day Every Day?

qhat posted:

A company just sent me an online psych/cognitive exam to do lol. 50 math/English questions to blitz through in 15 minutes. Should I just politely tell them to gently caress off?
Politely telling them to gently caress off is a terrible idea.

Be as bitchy as you can when you tell them to gently caress off.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Janitor Prime posted:

For me it just shows that a person doesn't have drive, and inevitably when they finish their tasks will just twiddle their thumbs and dick around on YouTube instead of learning about new languages frameworks, techniques that could be useful down the line in other projects.
Depending on who it is, sometimes it's best to have them dick around on youtube than have to hear about pickleparty.js or teh blockhains from Doug for the hundredth loving time.

Also if your DRs are spending a lot of time twiddling their thumbs, you're not exactly doing your job either.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

To be perfectly clear, I still do all the little dances, holding in my resentments like a first-date fart until I can express them in an appropriate environment.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

you must be a delight to work with jfc
Pretty much, yeah. I don't intentionally torment people I interview, I don't expect my DRs to do my job for me and I realize that all of this is just a means to an end and when dealing with people for whom it is An Identity just to nod and smile.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

In fact, make that do not use third party recruiters.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

correct

any yes/no is less cost to them than unanswered spam
hahaha, nice.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

LinkedIn automatically turns off your message indicating you're open to opportunities if you ignore enough messages. Give a gently caress though because there's no penalties for turning it back on immediately.
:yeshaha:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

meatpotato posted:

i'm trying to use leetcode to practice for technical interviews and i feel like its such garbage
That's because it is.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Nah, the entire point of leetcode/hackerwank/whatevs is that so that people who consider themselves The Smartest Guy in The Room can wave their cheeto-stained dicks at each other over who can come up with the most opaque solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

[edit] What that guy said.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

meatpotato posted:

9/10 of the technical interviews I've had have been stuff that seems straight out of leetcode though :(
That's because 90% of the people doing the interviews are either perpetuating the cycle of abuse or just cargo-cult cockpimples.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Fiedler posted:

boston is better than new york, though?
It really isn't

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll see what's the deal with airplane traveling :woop:
If you think that's wild, just wait until you get to the part with the peanuts.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

boston is cool but i've lived here for a long time and so i don't notice the lovely people or roads anymore
That might mean that you are one of them now

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

cheque_some posted:

For example, me messing me a recruiter who had the balls to e-mail me at work:

I BOFAd a recruiter from Panzer Solutions, LLC when they wouldn't leave me the hell alone.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

sounds about right. mine has had a pretty severe depression because her poo poo fashion career could barely cover the costs of new york daycare, hence the sahm. add cliquishness of the mommy crowd and I get it. it sucks.
:thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

raminasi posted:

if this is workbridge associates run far, far away. they are worse than useless.
If it's Workbridge, go to their office, leave a bag of dogshit in the reception area and leave.