Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kudaros posted:

I'm wrapping up my PhD this month and applying for jobs. Mostly Data Science jobs. I've got a variety of past experience in things such as spectroscopy, x-ray diffraction, etc, that don't quite make sense to generic healthcare company data scientist #69. Should I peel all irrelevant skills like that off of my resume?

I have a more recent LaTeX formatted resume that I submit in PDF form. I was wondering why I was only getting callbacks from smaller companies, looked into it, and whatever machine reading tech larger companies use spits back incomprehensible garbage, which may explain my unfortunate callback rate. So I'm updating an old resume from a couple of years ago.

i'd figure out what skill sets various title/industry combos like, and comment out all but the one you're using. latex is cool like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
so if a company offers feedback after a rejection then ghosts, should you follow up or just take the hint?

hypothetically, if this same company also tried to call you on the wrong day for the interview, then changed the time a second time after confirming the original agreed upon time was confirmed, should you follow up?

i normally don't write anything on glassdoor just use it for salary info but i'm sorely tempted to light them up, and maybe a happy medium is a terse "hi company, here's some feeback for you

i'm mostly venting, i will continue never insinuating outside the space between my ears that any interviewer is anything but perfection because god forbid i be labeled that guy and even a polite but true glassdoor review can bite you in the rear end down the road

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if they offered you feedback after a rejection, that is the opposite of ghosting you

what else is there to say after that? it's not a hint. they rejected you. and told you why.

if it pisses you off, don't?

never put anything on glassdoor

it can only hurt you

no what i'm saying is they sent a polite rejection and offered to send feedback, i said thank you for the quick followup and i'd love feedback anddddd..... nothing. for weeks now.

i think that counts as ghosting?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no that's still quite polite. the cruel and nasty thing to do is to never send the rejection.

i mean you can ask again but i wouldn't expect to hear anything

i don't think i'm going to bother, but to me once you've tried to position yourself as doing more than the bare minimum, I'm going to judge you more harshly than if you had just gone silent. does that make me crazy? possibly.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qhat posted:

Lol gently caress that. If they really are a bunch of cunts and you care a lot then wait a month and upload. As if they'll ever know as long as you're not ultra specific.

sadly the stuff that's annoying tends to BE ultra specific

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

post away IMO

companies you're applying to aren't about to dig through glass door and try to de-anonymize posts; that's ridiculous. even outspoken drama-trolls like michael o church had to relentlessly make absurd and self-aggrandizing complaints about like 3 companies in a row (getting banned from hacker news in the process) before he finally made himself famous enough to be radioactive

i think you underestimate the ability of butthurt hr types at small to mid sized companies to get butthurt someone they can't currently retaliate against has increased the hurt in their butt

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Emacs Headroom posted:

I promise that once you're gone they won't GAF. not only that but hr people are told by legal not to slander ex-employees

good recruiters and good managers do backchannel to each other (if they're in the same social network / same city), so if you're causing an actual problem like sexually harassing people, or punching a client or something, it could potentially get back to you. but they're really, really not going to dig through glass loving door to try to figure out who you are and retaliate.

ive seen people fired for really egregious stuff (like getting into fistfights at work) and come back with >5 offers a little while later after getting their poo poo together. as long as you're not shittalking your ex-employer during your interview, it's never gonna come up

my threat model is more the hr person remembers me and if we cross paths again DEFFO doesn't hire me / badmouths me to collegues rather than a current employer retaliating

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a small, small, small world. poo poo gets around. and hr staff definitely watch glassdoor

contributing to glassdoor gets you nothing, and it can potentially hurt you. the safe and sane choice is to not leave snippy notes on a public website

yeah, instead you just add everyone involved to your mental blacklist and shitcan their chances of working anywhere you do next time you're making hiring decisions and they cross your path

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qhat posted:

Oh no the geeky software developer said a bad thing about the company, let me just remember their name for the rest of my life so I can gently caress over their careers.

yes this is what narcissists (which a large chunk of dysfunctional HR/management are) do

think “what would Michael Scott do”

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

paranoia is a healthy reflex in corporate america. everything can get back to you

it can never, ever, ever help you to have spurt your dumb goop into the world on glassdoor. and it could, in a land of sufficiently paranoid fantasy, hurt you

stay the gently caress away from things with 0 upside and non-0 downside

Pascal’s wager lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pascal's wager was a joke, a naked jape at atheists denying the obvious

there is only one true god and his name is allah?