Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the US is still betraying them, its just instead of a shakespearean washing-of-hands its more like even with a couple thousand special forces on the ground the actual leadership is apparently hoping if they cover their eyes for a week the SDF can be consigned to the great big wastebasket of nice ideas that didn't sugar out.

which has to be just a faaaaaaaaaannnnnnntastic state of affairs for the special forces soldiers in question, to effectively be representing State's (utter lack of) local interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

also no armor

being able to move faster than a tractor is much, much more valuable if you're light infantry and even an inch of steel fails pretty quickly if you keep drilling it with a DShK

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

pickup trucks also have enough bedspace to mound even heavier weapons than purpose-built infantry vehicles like the humvee can. An anti-aircraft gun with 20 or 40mm rounds is like being able to fire high velocity grenades that can penetrate mud walls from a kilometer away.

a humvee is much bigger than you're thinking, because TOWs and mark19's fit on them just ifne

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
shorter punchier terms are good, as opposed to insanely dumb poo poo like "SVBIED"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Germans are loving garbage people.

Yes, let's dump billions in military equipment on Turkey and Saudi Arabia, but let's also feel bad about it :(

It's actually because the Germans worked really really hard on the Leopard II and in their incursions into the SCW the Turks have apparently been using 1914 as a how-to manual because the last two years of hilariously inept adventures have shown off a lot of blasted interiors of contemporary German military engineering. Usually after sending it into a city ahead of the infantry, or idling it in the wide-loving-open for some reason.

If the turks had the common decency to find their rear end and roll over an irregular militia best on all sides in a week tops like an actual modern military I guarantee it'd be different, as it stands its just embarassing, especially with Russia right there watching.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There's gotta be a 27-letter german compound word for one's disingenuous excuse to leave the party because its just too embarassing to explicitly say "im tired of watching the host poop on the floor and wipe it on their face, blaming the stink on Gulen"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the d&d middle east thread really sucks

its really good until you realize you clicked on a thread of growups attempting to perform seriousness in earnest and not a GBS CYOA. then it just gets kinda pathetic

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
my favorite is how we're all on the internet right now. right now if youre reading these words, you can also look up most of the information humankind has ever known with a few keystrokes. but when any discussion gets going there's a peanut gallery of screeching retards upset the parade of embedded tweets got interrupted because somehow they've been using computers for years yet never developed the ability to seek out information independently.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They made Pisspig Grandad do mine clearing duty.

everyone involved in taking back any ISIS held town has to do mine clearing duty.

turns out wiring most structures in a town to explode buys you a lot of time to perform defense in depth.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if there are two defining characteristics of the historiography of this conflict its that

1. there is unusually little media presence on the ground and unusually a lot of 1st person accounts
2. every single thing online needs to be read through the filter of "who wrote this and who is this for" like, even more than usual, because there's always an agenda.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

man iran looking pretty dumb agreeing to not develop nukes right now

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

cargo cult posted:

why does everyone in cspam have gigantic "ironic" war boners now? creepily reminiscent of 2002-3

the same reason everyone has "ironic" boners for economic collapse

everyone knows where this poo poo is going. let's just get there already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YXm4b3H5c

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

oh god that really is a perfect visual metaphor actually

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

cargo cult posted:

what happens if nothing happens

pretty much the best case scenario is everyone fires off enough ordinance to feel better, emotionally, and goes back to not really caring

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

its this

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
just for a little perspective on how far the FP discourse in the white house has deteriorated:

quote:

Anton published a widely read essay in conservative circles before the 2016 election under a pseudonym that compared the presidential race to the doomed 11 September, 2001, flight that crashed in Pennsylvania after passengers charged the cockpit.

“2016 is the Flight 93 election: charge the cockpit or you die,” he wrote.

“To compound the metaphor: a Hillary Clinton presidency is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. With Trump, at least you can spin the cylinder and take your chances.”

^^^ this is the guy who quit the day before Bolton came on because he's too tame

Mad Dog Mattis is the loving dove in the room, now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

- There are Russians in the way, and relations with them are so bad right now that the Trump-Putin friendship is looking like Willy and Nicky (that's a WW1 reference :v: )

In a human history full of insanely poignant stories, this makes the top 50 easily btw.

returning from vacation to talk to your bestie, bemoan your shithead suboordinates, say goodbye forever, and then preside over the stupidest mishaps in recorded history up to that point.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

+ the syrian army has a bunch of chemical weapons

+ the syrian army doesn't even really exist anymore and is more a confederation of pro-regime militias with dubious command and control procedures (ironically, this is one reason why they've proven to be more adaptable and successful than your average brookings institution 'expert' predicted a few years ago)

+ the syrians might not particularly care what the rest of the world thinks

+ they do dumb poo poo from time to time

+ in all frankness the U.S. hasn't actually done much to stop them in the past

i'm no brown moses though and haven't looked done the picto-analysis of the particular bombs

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

how the gently caress is tucker Carlson the voice of loving reason :psyduck:

AND WHY DOES SOMEONE ANNOUNCE THEIR CANDIDACY GOING *DOWN* AN ESCALATOR?!?!?!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You're telling me discourse is a window into possibility, and the window MOVES?!?!?!

fly away troll. gently caress. right. off!!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lollontee posted:

i think syria would turn out good if nobody did anything and just watched

i think it would be good if the us military invaded, killed a couple hundred thousand people and making our puppet govt in iraq ballistically pissed off, all to install another puppet government with a mandate to rule no more legitimate than the baathists and giving rise to another few dozen islamist factions.

probably wouldn't cost more than $700billion this time, either.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
really there's a whole menu of good options, in regards to the Syrian Civil War

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
honestly poo poo's so interconnected i really want folk to start calling it The Levantine War. its more accurate and it just has a ring to it, y'know?

the war for al-sham, if you wanna regionalize it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
not if we invade. jesus god you're thick.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh im sorry you're not brave enough to actually say what you're thinking, you just nibble around the edges with "someone should DO SOMETHING" rhetoric and then retreat when someone points out your words and thoughts are bad

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lollontee posted:

nah, what i'm doing is pointing out that you don't have any valid suggestions for ending the war without intervention

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/984971661156888576

https://twitter.com/arturaskerelis/status/984972546742341632

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - what is the reasoning behind chemical weapons being worse than getting bomb shrapnel embedded in your torso or whatever? I'm not asking this as some rhetorical thing, but because I'm genuinely curious what the rational is because making a clear distinction between them and "conventional" weapons. Unlike nuclear weapons, it doesn't have the whole "an entire city destroyed with just one bomb" aspect and I don't think it renders the area uninhabitable for a while afterwards due to radiation or some other reason (though I'm not sure about the latter).

Because they're not actually very useful in a post-WWI battlefield context (things move around too much even in urban warfare), but very VERY effective to use punitively against civilian populations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

Well, people were horrified by their deployment in WWI, and moved quickly to ban them thereafter. That's about the long and the short of it.

Yeah another often unexamined reason which carries a distressing amount of weight is "because we [the west] said so"

pee pee, doo doo, folk don't consider their ideas much, whatever.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"almost lunged at me" is doing a lot of work there.

so's "facts"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah dude, you got me. Classic NATO supporter.

you know you're on the right track when the sexually frustrated and bloodless Brookings weekend warriors call you nazi genocidal fascist assadian filth, and the 3rd Twitter Regiment that the PKK never asked for and would gladly flog with socks full of dubloons IRL call you an imperialist NATO lapdog

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Frijolero posted:

This thread is fukcing stupid as all gently caress

all threads about the SCW are loving stupid as gently caress. everyone gets real steamed at the folk they pretend the other guys to be and it attracts performative histrionic toughguys like flies to poo poo worse even than gun control threads.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
getting tired just looking at all the things "as soon as possible" does in that sentence

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
DJT is getting dragged to gently caress and back by his base for an airstrike that ultimately did not much, and that statement by Sanders is a figleaf to keep the base from writing him off as compromised by the Deep State any more than they already have.

unfortunately even trump voters aren't as loving stupid as democrats, so it isn't working because trump is now a Villain

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lollontee posted:

Namely, a nation-state is a very specific in its ethno-nationalist nature, which defines it. Furthermore, "state" is not interchangeable with "nation-state" as a concept or a word. Which is why Öcalan specifically uses the word "nation-state" to describe it.

Now develop this idea into the future 30 years from now irl as it pertains specifically to a polyethnic Rojava.

by god, what's going on here? that's baathism's entrance music!

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Not all Kurds are left wing, and there’s factionalism across borders.

this. is. the. simplified version. and deprecated at that!!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its me, the guy who found the objective good guys in a 1000 sided civil war fueled by every single nation remotely capable of projecting power into the levant. death to the other guys!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the sootoro, duh

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
sub to rafidisolutions_27 on youtube to keep up with all the latest from the caliphate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
man. remember daesh? those were a crazy couple of years i tell you what. sure am glad we addressed the material basis for their existence in a meaningful way. the world has moved on regardless. h*ck yea.