Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G, F, G/H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

1.F

2.B, Adirah, the wayward half-Redguard, half-Breton daughter of a traveling peddler.

3.E, she's no great scion of privilege, but certainly capable in a scrap thanks to a hard life on the road.

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuckit, changing my second vote to:

B, Faridah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BG

Fun fact, "daikatana" is a misreading of the characters for daito, which is a term meaning long sword, which what we call katana actually fall under. The two-handed extra-long analog is called an odachi, or great sword, and unlike twohanders from the west, they were almost purely decorative thanks to how fragile they were. The horse cutting thing is as far as anybody can tell a tall tale.

But these limitations mean nothing to a magic laser sword from The Heart. Unleash your inner hanzo steel!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually I was wondering if I misremembered, and did some more digging. As it turns out, I was wrong. Odachi were exceedingly difficult to make and fragility in a sword is just a mark of flaws in its construction, and somewhere along the lines I must have conflated the two, thanks in part to the known relative frailty of Japanese swords under sustained stress. There's (admittedly mostly anecdotal) evidence that odachi did see use in combat, though always with the caveat of how impractical it was compared to other weapons--one surviving school of martial arts actually encourages not drawing the sword from its sheath per se, but rather throwing the sheath off the sword! For a long time I thought the lack of non-ceremonial surviving examples was due to their failure as weapons, but in fact this was actually the result of the Tokugawa Shogunate ban on odachi, one of many such restrictions on various weapons during the consolidation of power following the end of the sengoku period. Many of these greatswords were cut down to smaller blades, and it was the ornamental examples that escaped this prohibition due to their non-military purpose.

Still not great against armor, and if used against horses was more likely to be aimed towards the legs rather than the body. The mental image of a sword capable of bisecting horses, however, remains a compelling one. However, as usual, historians don't have enough information to know for sure how common military odachi were, or whether they really were mostly ceremonial/display pieces sometimes put to use as weapons.

There's a reason I usually stay quiet in milhist discussions, I have a mind like a steel sieve. Unnecessarily thick and filled with holes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BHa

BJ.

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 23, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Faridah grew up on the streets, she knows that numbers win fights. D.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Slaan posted:

We know the streets, we know how to bluff

A

This was literally the other option I was coin-flipping over.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AD

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stab first, ask questions later. Sounds about right, really.

So who are you assholes and what are you doing here? Also thanks for helping us get out of prison, nerds. Idiots. Morons.

If it turns out they came here to help us tell them this is how we establish dominance down in lockup.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Instead of just one response I think we should do all of these. Unless we were already doing that, then carry on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress em these guys are dicks

Voting to humiliate

Yeah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

B
D
F
O

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Items
D, keep one potion and the half-spent ring, give the healing crystals to Seretta and delegate the task of deciding who gets what else to her. She's got initiative and I dunno who else to give healing items to.

Group
A Everyone, even if Faridah might be suspicious of Ishala and Raza, they've never done wrong by her

Save Gallus
A Repay kindness with kindness.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

I'm pretty down with a pardon, but I'd like to ask Do'Zaro, Bjorn, and Seretta what they think of accepting Gallus' offer.

Contingent on that, I'll enter a tentative vote of AB.

I like this plan. Ask opinions, tentative AB.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

BK

The old bucket on head trick finally failed.

Yeah, BK

Faridah's last big heist was interrupted by the bane of many a post-Morrowind player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0

She decided to serve her sentence so here we are.

Why do all TES games start with you as a prisoner? A running joke or motif? Or just the natural result of a level-scaling, possibly telepathic police force set loose into Tamriel's ecology.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ultimately the weakness of the Elder Scrolls lore is that the games exist.

And unlike something that tries its damnedest to use its gameplay, systems, and content to bring its rich lore and source material to life (like the Witcher 3, oh my god the Witcher 3), the Elder Scrolls games have been ambitious in their attempts to create a simulated world, albeit one with somewhat janky and skewed priorities such that you're constantly breaking suspension of disbelief with how silly things are, and how dubious so many design choices were. Also wasting good money on celebrities who show up and lend their voices very briefly to talk at the player for a fat paycheck, good job Bethesda well done.

So a challenge to Magnusth, our GM and writer, is to try to make this world come alive with compelling and nuanced stories a la TW3, but he has to do it with an audience that knows drat well what an Elder Scrolls videogame is actually like in this day and age.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But we can at least show the restraint that Todd Howard won't by straight up defining Faridah as a thief who may not be great as a thief, but by golly is she good with a sword.

At least she won't be absurd like the Grand Champion-Archmage-Grey Fox-Listener-Grandmaster Fightman-Champion of the Nine Divines and oh yes he's also the new Daedric Prince Sheogorath what's up motherfuckers? Of whose accomplishments the greatest was of course befriending the most boring man in Tamriel and watching him turn into a dragon. Or Dovahkiin-Dragonslayer-Sir Thanesalot of Many Places-Also Archmage-Also Listener-Harbinger-Thief Master-Revered Peacemaker-The Conqueror-Champion of the Nine Divines as well as the Daedric Princes(say hello to new Sheogorath I guess)-Friend to Orcs-Certainly Educated About Dwemer and, let's not forget, Ace Vampire Hunter and/or Ace Vampire.

And none of that feels as significant or as earned as Geralt being Geralt, just another professional in a dwindling field, reuniting with his adoptive daughter and watching her grow into the hero she was always meant to be. Unless your Geralt was a bad dad.

So I'm going to preemptively say, let's let Faridah be Faridah, and find her one story. With buckets, larceny, and a sometimes-lightsaber.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wonder if Saretta might have sympathies laying closer to the Crown than the Empire and had we chosen to heed her advice instead of agreeing to help Gallus, Faridah might well have found herself on the Crown path. But that means abandoning and probably being forced to murder nordbro and Big Zarom in a gang initiation so I'm more inclined to side with the fuzz instead of going full gently caress da police. This time.

I do suspect if Faridah can't convince Saretta to stay she's going to bail and worst case scenario we may see her with the Crown boys later on.

DFH

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magnusth posted:

You don't know her well, but you're fairly certain her problem is with anyone at all telling her what to do, and the law, and imperial law in particular, because she was mistreated by a guard and got thrown in jail for what she conciders entirely reasonable self-defense, i.e. stabbing him in the gut. It's not impossible that Crown loyalists could use that to sway her to their side, or that she has hidden crown sympathies, but she's never shown any antipathy towards Do'Zaro or Bjørn Bjørne-Dræber.

Note, for the record, that 'Crown' is a fairly broad political grouping. It mostly just means 'traditionalist,' and many, many redguards have some crown sympathies, and Forebearer - who are the traditional, imperial-aligned opponents of the Crowns - sympathies as well. Many people might support some crown policies - like the worship of traditional gods, respect for the dead, dedication to traditional redguard swordfighting - while abhoring others, like xenophobia. Or they might want greater independence for hammerfel, but not nessecarily complete seperation from the empire.

That elaboration does add a bit more nuance to it, thanks. As it stands, I support Faridah making an appeal but not a command, though I'll add to my approval spread.

Adding C, bringing it to CDFH.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

Notable Bosmer include that little twat in Seyda Neen, and the Adoring Fan, so there is both good and bad here.

By Azura! By Azura!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

B
G
I

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A

G

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just a bit of medical attention to keep the WOLF-ELF alive is better than letting them die, even if actually bringing them to fighting condition is more healing than we can afford.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Overemotional Robot posted:

Agreed all around. Especially if the WOLF-ELF is a werewolf.

I mean it was just a typo but it was a good typo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

B
C
Db
Eb
F

Lot of options I would be totally down with seeing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C sure yeah

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ralith posted:

G

I want a top tier mobility skill, dammit.

This would be p. cool yeah.

Also cool, a "cut from a distance" power, or the power for one's sword to be in many places at once, or the power to phase one's sword through defenses to cut directly into flesh, or

I'm glad this is approval voting because I approve of a lot of things.
FGHKL

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ralith does make a pretty good case for being able to anime teleport. It does have non combat utility, too.

Hell, if Faridah uses it for sneaky poo poo, that's some straight Dishonored business right there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blasphemaster posted:

I actually hated the teleport ability in Dishonored and only used it as a last resort. I was the type of Thief player who never used a water arrow if it could be avoided but also blackjacked the entire map and made piles of guards in compromising positions. Fancy Tools and Abilities are for chumps! You should only use the shadows and your own capacity to smack dudes upside the head! :shepicide:

It's not about being professional

It's about being an rear end in a top hat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well now, it's not that Faridah missed, it's that he managed to backstep and parry at just the right time to stop her from mercing him. I can respect that in an opponent, though I'm wary of using all of Faridah's energy to defeat a single opponent as part of a larger running battle.

AB, though I prefer A more, as the conditions seem to favor going on the offensive and using superior skill to win the day over this guy's greater mass.

Blasphemaster posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magnusth posted:

He didn't backstep. He seems to have known juuuuust enough sword-singing to parry your long cut as a part of your long-and-short-cut?

Ah, okay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AB

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ABG

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ABE

At least have the courtesy to thank Gallus for what he's done before running off, this definitely seemed hard for him but he's been actively going up against his own internal prejudices to do Team Criminal Nasties a solid while at the same time trying to do his drat job.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blasphemaster posted:

ABCD

E. You all better GTFO and talk before you do so or I am going to force feed you your own hands.

I am down with literally any of these things happening

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A, F, G

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

A and do so by saying whatever she's going to say at the same time she is saying it.

haha

I hope this is doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CGIK

• Locked thread