Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZlOhSt_qW0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Isn’t the Real Water company where Juicero man went?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1389701641259995136

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those ads rule.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Ad libs?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mawarannahr posted:

We live a documentary, it's called "Idiocracy," and it's starring you :smug:

:mods:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

this is some good poo poo. quoteing so i can find it tomorrow to rub in some peoples faces that adamantly demand that facebook isnt that detailed about what it knows.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
For tech bros, between this and hacking the spyware company, I kinda them.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

For tech bros, between this and hacking the spyware company, I kinda them.

i wouldn't describe marlinspike as your typical tech bro lmao

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017

Delta-Wye posted:

i wouldn't describe marlinspike as your typical tech bro lmao

They used to live in a really gross squat in Pittsburgh. They were one of the people behind TXTMob to organize protests around the 2004 RNC/DNC, then they signed some kind of contract with Twitter and cashed out at the first opportunity. Now they have old growth live edge tables that cost thousands of dollars, so they're certainly something couldn't say weather typical or a-typical.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

Were over a year into this poo poo and somehow the same people are still loving up Zoom calls

And god help you if you have to explain how to work Microsoft teams to those people

zoom has a stonk market cap of nearly $100 billion and they can’t make their one product usable

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m still regularly in meetings with Serious Business people who connect through their computer, then also dial the call-in number on their phone, dooming everyone to a minute of terrible feedback and reverb while someone tries to help them figure their poo poo out.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

zoom has a stonk market cap of nearly $100 billion and they can’t make their one product usable

Yet it's a million times better than loving webex

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Centrist Committee posted:

zoom has a stonk market cap of nearly $100 billion

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nothus posted:

Yeah we're already there, it's just that we did it the neoliberal way so it's patchwork, decentralized, largely run by private companies, and tied into the financial system.
until 1970s equifax denied you a mortgage if you were a homosexual or a communist. This definitely accurate and never wrong collection of data was supported by a broad network of snitches. Of course it took a coalition of straight white men who found out they were being labeled as gay communists to bring this to light before congress. Skin color was of course a perfectly fine reason to make sure someone didn't live in the wrong neighborhood.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40464730/equifax-has-a-super-shady-history-that-might-explain-its-shady-present

quote:

Alan Westin, a Columbia University professor of public law, took to the pages of the New York Times to let consumers know that their Retail Credit files may include “facts, statistics, inaccuracies and rumors” about basically every aspect of a person’s life, as detailed in a 1995 Wired magazine article. That included everything from people’s jobs and schooling to details about their marital troubles and sex lives. Companies, Wired notes, used that information to deny credit to those they found “morally lacking.”

Turns out people didn't like the private stasi so they rebranded to Equifax and said "ok now it's your responsibility to make sure all our data on you is right but also we may refuse to correct it, go pound sand."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If I'm reading that right, it's an underrated post

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

quote:

This Dystopian Biker Airbag Crash Vest Only Saves Your rear end If Your Subscription Is Paid Up

Motorcycling isn’t exactly the safest way to spend your time, but modern technology has managed to make it far safer than ever before, with advancements like clothing with integrated airbags helping to make crashes much more survivable. Modern technology has also given motorcycling the soul-crushing reality of a motorcycle airbag vest that only works if your monthly don’t-die-in-a-wreck subscription is up-to-date.

Why do you need an account and all of this for a wearable airbag? Because of how Klim is selling this: $399 for the basic vest, then if you want it to actually, you know, work, you have to pay a $12/month subscription fee, or you can pay $120 per year for the privilege of having the thing you bought do the thing you bought it for.

Jason Torchinsky 01:50:13 pm so $399 and it always works, as long as I have it?

Shelby 01:51:23 pm You will pay the $399.99 and then the subscription fee of your choosing

Jason Torchinsky 01:51:32 pm oh I see. So, for the vest to be active and work, it’s $12/mo or $120/yr. What happens if I like lose my credit card and a bill cycle comes and it doesn’t go through? I guess then when I ride my bike the vest won’t work until I fix the CC issue?

Shelby 01:55:30 pm correct, you will need to update it with In&Motion they should notify you if that occurs

Jason Torchinsky 01:55:39 pm okay, is there any point where it’s “paid off” and just works? or always subscription?

Shelby 01:56:05 pm it is subscription based at this point

Jason Torchinsky 01:56:27 pm okay. Thank you. This doesn’t feel kinda strange to you?

Shelby 01:59:08 pm You’re welcome. Can I help you with anything else? the subscription is easy to activate and set up as well

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Remember Snow Crash? YT had something like this. Neal Stevenson left out this part.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hiro had exactly this when he rode up to washington on the motorcycle

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

CloFan posted:

Imagine trying to explain to someone who can’t figure out zoom how to install the webex browser apps

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Remember Snow Crash? YT had something like this. Neal Stevenson left out this part.

We're definitely zeroing in on the Snow Crash timeline. Give it a decade or two of global food shortages and migration and we'll be there

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Music (entertainment), movies (entertainment), microcode (big tech), and high-speed pizza delivery (gig economy for everyone else)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

We're definitely zeroing in on the Snow Crash timeline. Give it a decade or two of global food shortages and migration and we'll be there

i don't think it will take that long, we are already 95% of the way there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpaceCadetBob posted:

this is some good poo poo. quoteing so i can find it tomorrow to rub in some peoples faces that adamantly demand that facebook isnt that detailed about what it knows.

those aren’t things you can actually target on, other than city. they should have used the stuff you can actually target against so that FB couldn’t wave it away as easily

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Vox Nihili posted:

The Windup Girl timeline.

Covid is the first prototype for the Blister Rust business model

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CloFan posted:

Teams is better for meetings than Webex or Zoom, fight me :colbert:

(it's still terrible for everything else including chat which is supposed to be the core function)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

those aren’t things you can actually target on, other than city. they should have used the stuff you can actually target against so that FB couldn’t wave it away as easily

bullshit

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
There's a huge list of poo poo you can target with Facebook ads. You can get weirdly specific with it.

They got in trouble a few years ago because you could easily target Nazis and poo poo with straight up racist keywords.

Not sure if it still let's you do that...probably.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I remember when facebook got busted because landlords were micro targeting white people to exclude poc.

Then they became directly responsible for a couple of genocides oops!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skewetoo posted:

I remember when facebook got busted because landlords were micro targeting white people to exclude poc.

They got busted for that multiple times and kept adding the feature back because landlords wanted it lol.

One time they tried to get around it by allowing you to ban anyone except white people, thus proving it wasn’t about race you see!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:lmao:

https://twitter.com/Greene_DM/status/1390287432180973574?s=20

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

forever lol at uber

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abongination posted:

There's a huge list of poo poo you can target with Facebook ads. You can get weirdly specific with it.

The right-wing of the Labour party specifically micro-targeted Jeremy Corbyn and some of his staff with more left-wing ads than the real ones they were running on FB.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why the gently caress is it so hard for a company that makes an app to have "contractors" who drive their own car drive people places for money, to be profitable? Wtf is costing them so much in overhead

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Justin Tyme posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for a company that makes an app to have "contractors" who drive their own car drive people places for money, to be profitable? Wtf is costing them so much in overhead

They don't want to be profitable, they just want to be the last one standing in the end

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

like most venture capitalist projects I’m assuming they just wanted to get big enough to be bought and move on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they set the rates low enough to be more attractive than traditional car services and give the drivers their gas money and small pittance on top that gets wiped out for car repairs down the line and whats left for uber isnt that much.
as soon as they fully monopolize they can raise rates and theoretically make money but lol at calling an uber that costs 50 dollars per mile or whatever

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Justin Tyme posted:

They're trying to undercut buses on prices but without using anything with a capacity higher than like 4 riders and without using fixed routes so lol.

TBH I don't think making money is actually part of Uber's business model, I think they're a non-profit enterprise to destroy public transit and teamster's unions. It may not be conscious on their part but surely the investors have thought about it and they keep pouring money into it.

There's been a kind of funny thing with delivery where the delivery apps are also moneypits, and those are at least a little more interesting in that what we've learned is that delivery is basically always a money loser, it's just still worth doing for a pizza place or chinese restaurant because the losses from delivery are made up for by the profits on food, and increasing the customer base via delivery justifies the lower margins. With transportation it turns out that there's no magic, there's just the difference between how much it costs to give somebody a ride vs how much they pay for that ride.

e: From a driver's perspective, since the road wear eclipses the wages you get from it, it's effectively a very, very slow way of selling your car.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I don't think that's the deep dark secret goal, just the outcome. I do think "be the last one standing, then charge monopolistic prices / distribute fixed R&D costs (including app maintenance etc) over a variable and rising revenue stream" is the current model, and they've been extremely successful with the near total absence of taxi services in some places. Why regulators didn't just outright ban them since they're blatantly breaking existing laws, even if they're protectionist ones, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's definitely not the plan, because uber has done some experimentation during periods where lyft wasn't spun up in an area or whatever, and found that demand is pretty elastic, people will walk or get rides from friends or just not go if the price goes above a certain amount. After discovering that they started working on uber pool to try and drive costs down, and when that failed they started doing self-driving. Now they're publicly traded though so they don't really need a plan they just need to convince wall street that there's a plan. Also the plan might just be to let other people buy self-driving cars when they come out some day and plug the cars into the uber network.