Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My room mate and I both snore super loving loud. Whoever falls asleep first wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Earplugs are surprisingly comfortable to sleep with

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ilor posted:

By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

That's actually a pretty common morning conversation at Gencon.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
I saw Wil Wheaton and his gross loving beard at gencon 3 years ago true story

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Bunny posted:

I saw Wil Wheaton and his gross loving beard at gencon 3 years ago true story

He doesn't look that old on media or from a distance but when you get close to him and shake hands with him, you know his time with the Traveler took its toll.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does he still get mad if you bother him at GenCon? He had a Tweet long ago that he was at GenCon for games, not meeting people.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does he still get mad if you bother him at GenCon? He had a Tweet long ago that he was at GenCon for games, not meeting people.

I wouldn't know, he blocked me on twitter AND facebook for calling him a petulant manchild.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If your roommate refuses to buy and use nasal strips, you are well within your rights to force them on while they are sleeping.

I was thinking less "attacked with nasal strips" and more "suffocated with a pillow," but whatever. I think this dude is well beyond nasal strips, and BlackIronHeart was wearing headphones - to virtually no avail. The next night we made him sleep on the bathroom floor.

And I get it, I mean, I snore too. But when I'm in polite company, I use a CPAP machine. I think the only time I woke BIH up when we shared a room at PAXUP was when I apparently crashed into his foot hanging off the end of bed as I staggered back from the bathroom in the wee (see what I did there?) hours of the morning.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Holy hell after 25 years of wanting to go to this thing I'm finally doing it. Is there any kind of goon meetup for this? I know everyone will often be doing their own thing (I'll probably be spending half the con at the Battletech booth), but there seems to be some sort of community approach here and I'm curious.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

I dont think we met at PAXUP!! :mad:
Oh wow, did Ilor and BlackIronHeart really only stop by the Goon area that one brief time you were not there?!? I swear all three of you were there briefly either during that uh ... that one game ... where you are tiny weird underground people gathering resources from mines, or when we were watching the currency-trading game in pure horror

Xotl posted:

Holy hell after 25 years of wanting to go to this thing I'm finally doing it. Is there any kind of goon meetup for this? I know everyone will often be doing their own thing (I'll probably be spending half the con at the Battletech booth), but there seems to be some sort of community approach here and I'm curious.
Wow I am pretty stoked on your behalf, my fellow Goonerd.

And, oh, are there ever Goon meetups. Back like six years ago it was virtually impossible to actually get Goons together there, but thanks to the rise of GroupMe I would say not a single day goes by without at least one big coordinated something-or-other. Even Wednesday thanks to ... "SHOT WEDNESDAY"

It seems like most of the people in these threads are primarily into boardgaming (and drinking) but I also imagine Battletech has a strong following. Me personally, I am generally either auctioneering or otherwise hanging out at the Auction and like to flit in and out of other group gatherings to remind myself that I can talk to other hu-mans

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Badass, thanks. Can't wait to get con crud and no sleep and every other glamorous con thing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh wow, did Ilor and BlackIronHeart really only stop by the Goon area that one brief time you were not there?!? I swear all three of you were there briefly either during that uh ... that one game ... where you are tiny weird underground people gathering resources from mines, or when we were watching the currency-trading game in pure horror
Yeah, that FOREX game was horror for sure. But we were there for a while - and also at that sports bar Thursday night - so I feel like we must have met Fellis at some point.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wish Gen Con's event registration went as smoothly as Gary Con's did today. I mean, the convention is 1/60th the size but still.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The general rule if gencon: if it's dark out, and you have no phone access, bet on goons being in the High Velocity at the JW.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Xotl posted:

Badass, thanks. Can't wait to get con crud and no sleep and every other glamorous con thing.

Once you're there, don't be afraid to spam the GroupMe with how lonely you are. You might get to meet up with a goon to do something.

Then again, you might get to meet up with a goon and that's a terrible thing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh ok, you likely did meet me, I remember meeting llor I think. I was on the far end of the table at the sportsbar so i didnt hear names too well.

And later yeah, I was knee-deep in For-Ex and don’t remember much. That game owns though and if you are looking for weird indie gamer cred, I will happily play it. It’s not so much fun as it is an experience in trying to determine how the butterfly effect works (although I and a few others enjoy it). I got brutally owned by a very simple play I didn’t see last time I got it on the table and it was great.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I wish Gen Con's event registration went as smoothly as Gary Con's did today. I mean, the convention is 1/60th the size but still.
I believe part of why Gary Con's registration goes so well is because people feel bad about being mean to Caroline.

O.K. I guess I have no idea if she is involved in event registration but I remember her being all over the place on the Facebook group when I still paid attention

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Carteret posted:

The general rule if gencon: if it's dark out, and you have no phone access, bet on goons being in the High Velocity at the JW.

This is probably a little more accurate.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fellis posted:

Oh ok, you likely did meet me, I remember meeting llor I think. I was on the far end of the table at the sportsbar so i didnt hear names too well.

And later yeah, I was knee-deep in For-Ex and don’t remember much. That game owns though and if you are looking for weird indie gamer cred, I will happily play it. It’s not so much fun as it is an experience in trying to determine how the butterfly effect works (although I and a few others enjoy it). I got brutally owned by a very simple play I didn’t see last time I got it on the table and it was great.

I'm considering buying For-Ex, so if someone wants to play it at Gen Con, I'm down for trying it.

Also, about Punch Bowl Social, when I went there last year, it was pretty crowded. We didn't have much of a wait for a table, but we were back in a corner away from everything and couldn't have bowled, shuffled, darted, or whatever else if we wanted to. That might have been Saturday night, though, so it could have just been the regular Indy crowd hanging out there.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I will seriously miss you guys at Shot Wednesday this year - the wife and I won't be going to GenCon this year (we need an off-year to break a personal tradition that's starting to feel more like an obligation rather than something to be enjoyed), but we'll be back the following year.

Maybe I will even bring the oft-threatened Malort (even at great risk to my personal health/life at the hands of EgoTrip)!

nesbit37 posted:

Prices for downtown, in block, are around $200 each. So definitely more but not crazytown more.

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown $186 2.8 miles
Columbia Club $202 5 Blocks
Conrad Indianapolis $252-$287* 2 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Capitol $199 5 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown $212-$232 skywalk**
Crowne Plaza at the Union Station $215* - $372 skywalk**
Embassy Suites Downtown $241-$251 skywalk**
Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown $188-$218 skywalk**
Hampton Inn Downtown $200 2 Blocks
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown $211* 5 Blocks
Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites $180*-$246 3 Blocks
Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown $200* 3 Blocks
Home2 Suites $216-$226 6 Blocks
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis $228* skywalk**
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown $229-$457 skywalk**
JW Marriott Indianapolis $240-$482 skywalk**
Le Meridien Indianapolis $239* skywalk**
Omni Severin $217* skywalk**
Sheraton Indianapolis City Center Hotel $208-$229 4 Blocks
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown $185 2.3 Miles
SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown $199-$219 skywalk**
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City Centre $208-$233 3 Blocks
The Alexander $211-$222 5 Blocks
The Westin $216* skywalk**

IN THE GUIDE. I will still update that poo poo to be relevant even if I'm not going.

As a note, these prices are for a standard two-bedroom, correct?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 30, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

To confirm for guide updates - they've closed the loophole where someone else can use an account that has an earlier lottery time to sign up for a room, correct?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

Maybe I will even bring the oft-threatened Malort (even at great risk to my personal health/life at the hands of EgoTrip)!
Don't worry, I've got this covered:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Double Agent posted:

how did you get your camera drunk?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Deviant posted:

how did you get your camera drunk?
That's the magic of Malort.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LuiCypher posted:

I will seriously miss you guys at Shot Wednesday this year - the wife and I won't be going to GenCon this year (we need an off-year to break a personal tradition that's starting to feel more like an obligation rather than something to be enjoyed), but we'll be back the following year.

IN THE GUIDE. I will still update that poo poo to be relevant even if I'm not going.

As a note, these prices are for a standard two-bedroom, correct?

If by two bedroom you mean double bed then yes, same price for a king.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

To confirm for guide updates - they've closed the loophole where someone else can use an account that has an earlier lottery time to sign up for a room, correct?

No they haven’t, you just can’t transfer rooms anymore. You can still use someone else’s account and use your own card on their account, but they need to hold the reservation for the duration.

So both parties need to be comfortable with each other having real name/address. The credit card isn’t an issue because it only displays the last 4 digits anytime after the first entry.

All they did was prevent people from sitting on a room reservations and selling the booking to a complete stranger, its still really easy to do if you have a modicum of trust between the two parties, unless there’s something I’m not seeing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Double Agent posted:

Get that garbage bullshit away from me

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
How is Loughmiller's not on your list of food?!?!?!?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Because he still wants to be able to get a table at pretty much any hour and not have to fight with filthy goons to get it?

But for real, Loughmiller's is solid.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I just booked my hotel for Gencon 2019, I have problems.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
:crossarms: I am rarely impressed by anything anymore, but that does it. :confuoot:

What hotel did you find that will go that far in advance? Or is it just a matter of calling and being convincing enough? Haha. OR IS THIS A TRADE SECRET

The only way I have amped up my fandom for this 2018 cycle is by beginning to apply for jobs in Indianapolis, but that is a nice side effect of other things happening rather than being just for The G-C.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

:crossarms: I am rarely impressed by anything anymore, but that does it. :confuoot:

What hotel did you find that will go that far in advance? Or is it just a matter of calling and being convincing enough? Haha. OR IS THIS A TRADE SECRET

The only way I have amped up my fandom for this 2018 cycle is by beginning to apply for jobs in Indianapolis, but that is a nice side effect of other things happening rather than being just for The G-C.

With SPG the earliest you can book a room is something like 550 days in advance, not sure why it isn't an even year, but whatever. For gencon 2019 that put the earliest available time to reserve about 2 days ago. If you check that early, there are usually some straggler rooms that havent been reserved in the hotel blocks, but they are quite expensive, $350+ a night. What I do is use my reward points instead of paying cash money, usually you have to call and get them to book it for you and they are really confused as to why they heck you are booking a room a year and a half in advance. I figure the 50,000 points I spend are worth it to pay for the room and make it so I don't have to ever worry about the lottery. I used this method to get the Westin in 2016, the Le Meridian this year, and the Sheraton City Centre in 2019. I hosed it up last year but managed to get the pull out couch in a room one of my VIG friends had.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Feel free to check your lottery position and give it to me if it’s good :sun:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fellis posted:

Feel free to check your lottery position and give it to me if it’s good :sun:

You freaked me out and I thought lottery assignment was tonight.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
OP says Lottery is Feb 21st but website says Feb 11th.

WHO DO I REPORT THIS TO?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Toshimo posted:

WHO DO I REPORT THIS TO?

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Just a quick reminder about the housing lottery deadlines coming up:

https://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=2f77d2f8c77398c0b064223ba&id=477fc110ba

Keep in mind that it's one timeslot per account:

quote:

Important Note: Access times are linked to badge purchaser's accounts. If an attendee purchases three badges, they alone will gain access to the Housing Portal for those three badges. To repeat, only badge purchasers will have Housing Portal access. Badges are available now at gencon.com, and if you would like to participate in Gen Con 2018 Housing Registration, you will need a valid badge (4-day, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Trade Day, or Press).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

WHO DO I REPORT THIS TO?

Sorry, that was my fault. I got those dates from someone else and didn't doublecheck them. They aren't even on a weekend, I'm a dumbass!!!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ffffff I have an all-day Twilight Imperium game scheduled for the 11th. How long does booking take? I booked way late the last (and only) time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

ffffff I have an all-day Twilight Imperium game scheduled for the 11th. How long does booking take? I booked way late the last (and only) time.

Um, just take a break? Twilight Imperium will sit there, it won't explode if you stop paying attention.