Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the Atom RPG actually a good game? Aside from the racism? If it’s really up there with the old school Fallouts then I should check it out. Or I guess I could go and actually play Underrail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Does new vegas two have our beloved pip boy in it? Yeah I thought not, that's a skip

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is it going to be moddable and single-player?

Lol.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Hey so anyone done the burrows thing in 76? Curious if it’s fun and/or worthwhile. Also wondering if it’s soloable or legit needs a posse

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Is the Atom RPG actually a good game? Aside from the racism? If it’s really up there with the old school Fallouts then I should check it out. Or I guess I could go and actually play Underrail.

I mean the original Birth of a Nation was a groundbreaking, landmark movie in the history of cinema, whose achievements and cultural impact far exceed anything a Russian indie game could, and it's still a genuine and unfortunately wildly successful attempt to advocate a pervasive and homicidal evil that still drives people to dehumanize and kill marginalized populations to this day.

So...

Sure, go play your russian racism game in TYOOL 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xarbala posted:

I mean the original Birth of a Nation was a groundbreaking, landmark movie in the history of cinema, whose achievements and cultural impact far exceed anything a Russian indie game could, and it's still a genuine and unfortunately wildly successful attempt to advocate a pervasive and homicidal evil that still drives people to dehumanize and kill marginalized populations to this day.

So...

I can’t tell from your post if you think the game is good or not?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t tell from your post if you think the game is good or not?

I mean it's got an isometric mode now

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ll just Google it up. I still have Underrail to play and maybe one day I’ll finish Wasteland 2.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chaosapiant posted:

Is the Atom RPG actually a good game? Aside from the racism? \

feel like the answer is in here somewhere

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’s in the middle, op

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

alright this game is anti-semitic, but the writing, is it good?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Berke Negri posted:

alright this game is anti-semitic, but the writing, is it good?

I've never played the game, how is it anti-semitic?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Happy merchant depiction of jews.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Russians are making huge advancements in the field of isometric racism. We have to step it up if we don't want to be left behind.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've never played the game, how is it anti-semitic?

I've googled a bit, and basically, there's a Jewish character merchant who does the *greedily rubbing hands* gesture common in antisemitic caricatures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oops wrong thread

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Xarbala posted:

So...

I read an interesting point about Triumph Of The Will saying that even above promoting Nazi ideology it's also basically the reason for the popular culture depiction of Nazis even as villains. Like, you think of Nazis and you think of a terrifying column of fanatically loyal Teutonic warriors goose stepping over any resistance to the glory of the Fuhrer. Because that's the image Triumph Of The Will put out there, and even though we aren't Nazis we still buy into their propaganda by thinking of them in that way. Anyway, I suppose I could relate this back to Fallout by saying the burning of Nipton in New Vegas is Legion propaganda in a similar way, not to promote their ideology but to strike fear into their enemies. The NCR posters about how spooky and terrifying the Legion is are kind of pro-Legion propaganda too

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've googled a bit, and basically, there's a Jewish character merchant who does the *greedily rubbing hands* gesture common in antisemitic caricatures.

https://twitter.com/resoluteCourier/status/1080252684270268417

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PSA: Rubbing your hands together is racist. Good luck washing your hands you insensitive hacks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Vinylshadow posted:

PSA: Rubbing your hands together is racist. Good luck washing your hands you insensitive hacks.

This is the worst possible take.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vinylshadow posted:

you know exactly what you're doing here

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh will the Outer Worlds not just be on Epic Store? Hmm. Never bought anything from the Microsoft Store either, but I could finally play State of Decay 2 if I gave in and... Oh right, 200+ unplayed Steam games, go to hell Obsidian

Chomp8645 posted:

Update: coffee done!

Time to get to work/posting.
We should do a study about Fallout 76 fandom and coffee preferences; I only started drinking coffee in my mid-20s when my friend told me filling a cup halfway with cream and sugar and halfway with coffee made candy and I said that sounded worth trying. He was right. Oh and I love Fallout 76

Also holy poo poo Atom RPG. The best thing about lovely far-right idiots is that they cannot help themselves and simply MUST put in some Hitler Fanservice in their projects, making it easy to figure out who does not deserve your money.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I won't lie and say I'm not interested in seeing a Russian version of Fallout. That said- and racism aside- I can skip it for the same reason I don't feel like I need to put together a new gaming pc; there are literally too many good games being released for every platform to make special considerations for any of them necessary.

Except for Bloodborne. Bloodborne deserves all the special considerations, but requires none.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Somebody a couple months back posted about how this isn't the only instance either. It is just the first.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So originally I'd asked how the Atom RPG is aside from the racist poo poo. Instead I got nothing but more comments about the racist poo poo. I'm not even talking story stuff, but the whole package. Does it run good? Is it buggy? How's the character leveling/advancement system. Are there party members? Are they good? How's the choices/consequences part of the narrative? In other words: does the game go after all the things that made Fallout 1/2 good games. If the racism poo poo is super-pervasive then I'm probably going to avoid it either way. But I kinda feel like the few things I've seen posted as "racist" are definitely walking the line but I haven't seen anything I'd classify as a put-down. I know that's subjective for everyone, but an old dude wringing his hands greedily could just be an old dude wringing his hands greedily. If it's preferred I not bring up or ask about the game or if everyone's intent is to dogpile me to tell me what a piece of poo poo I am, fair enough, that's your right and I'll leave it alone. My intention and hope is not to poo poo up the thread. I just feel there's a dearth of good post-apoc RPGs and the Fallout series is moving further and further from the sort of setting I'd enjoy.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

So originally I'd asked how the Atom RPG is aside from the racist poo poo. Instead I got nothing but more comments about the racist poo poo. I'm not even talking story stuff, but the whole package. Does it run good? Is it buggy? How's the character leveling/advancement system. Are there party members? Are they good? How's the choices/consequences part of the narrative? In other words: does the game go after all the things that made Fallout 1/2 good games. If the racism poo poo is super-pervasive then I'm probably going to avoid it either way. But I kinda feel like the few things I've seen posted as "racist" are definitely walking the line but I haven't seen anything I'd classify as a put-down. I know that's subjective for everyone, but an old dude wringing his hands greedily could just be an old dude wringing his hands greedily. If it's preferred I not bring up or ask about the game or if everyone's intent is to dogpile me to tell me what a piece of poo poo I am, fair enough, that's your right and I'll leave it alone. My intention and hope is not to poo poo up the thread. I just feel there's a dearth of good post-apoc RPGs and the Fallout series is moving further and further from the sort of setting I'd enjoy.

nice meltdown

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mysterious frankie posted:

I won't lie and say I'm not interested in seeing a Russian version of Fallout.

I haven't been interested in a Russian version of any game after Postal 3.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

I know that's subjective for everyone, but an old dude wringing his hands greedily could just be an old dude wringing his hands greedily.

He's named Avram and wearing a kippah. He's explicitly Jewish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean if the racism isn't a deal breaker you could give it a shot but

lmfao

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Thing is, there's no "walking the line" when it comes to bigoted poo poo. This isn't "a creator is revealed to be a piece of poo poo" situation where you can at least learn to still like something despite knowing what the creator's like. This is a situation where the dev team looked at the racist content they created and didn't think that would be harmful to others.

While I can understand your desire to be able to play a good game with things you like in it, you're basically saying that you can overlook bigoted things in media as long as it's good enough for you.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

chaosapiant posted:

Game's bad and expects you to grind random encounters because everything does insane damage.

There's also a 'freakshow' area played for laughs, with everything you can possibly imagine going on in there with one of the missions being to kill them all for being freaks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about that other Russian RPG Atom Heart or whatever? I don't know if it's out yet but it looked like Stalker if they smoked acid and designed a carnival based on Soviet kitsch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Valleyant posted:

Game's bad and expects you to grind random encounters because everything does insane damage.

There's also a 'freakshow' area played for laughs, with everything you can possibly imagine going on in there with one of the missions being to kill them all for being freaks

Ugh, then yea I'll just avoid it. Looks like it's a poo poo-show all around.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I love every time i hop back in the thread someone is asking about the racist russian rpg

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It is like war and Fallout 76 being trash, it never changes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about that other Russian RPG Atom Heart or whatever? I don't know if it's out yet but it looked like Stalker if they smoked acid and designed a carnival based on Soviet kitsch.

It’s probably never coming out. The management allegedly cheated their workers, and none of the footage released was actually of a game being played.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Someone several hundred pages back did a breakdown of all the racist poo poo in Atom. It isn't just the one thing, it's a lot of things sprinkled throughout. The merchant stuff is just the easiest and most clear-cut one to point at.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I love every time i hop back in the thread someone is asking about the racist russian rpg

The people are thirsty for good RPGs, I can dig

Countdown until Baldur's Gate 3 comes out

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
todd put dragons in fallout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

chaosapiant posted:

We have already had this in this thread.

ATOM RPG is not worth buying if you already own Underrail. Combats choppy like the old fallout games, but cheesable.

I bought ATOM without knowing it had genuine and intentional antisemitism in it. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Games bad just keep walking.

Underrail on the other hand rules and the expansion is like 5 bucks so go do that.