Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I completely ran out of disease cures and can't find any more for the life of me. Just constantly running around with bone worms, rad worms etc and can do nothing about it.

The ones you can craft that say disease cure (forest), can I use them anywhere or do they only work in the zones next to their name or something?

Also I got a 2* marksman rifle that does double damage when things are full health and +33% limb damage. Stacking multipliers I have hit things for well over 1k, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dravs posted:

So I completely ran out of disease cures and can't find any more for the life of me. Just constantly running around with bone worms, rad worms etc and can do nothing about it.

The ones you can craft that say disease cure (forest), can I use them anywhere or do they only work in the zones next to their name or something?

Also I got a 2* marksman rifle that does double damage when things are full health and +33% limb damage. Stacking multipliers I have hit things for well over 1k, it's great.

woah. That marksman rifle could potentially carry you through endgame unless it's like level 1-10 :v: I'm still rocking a lvl20 hunting rifle with double damage when full health, at 55

VRViperII posted:

Just start to bend your guy in that direction. Don’t make a new one. Heavy weapons are a high level thing. So start some 2 handed melee, pump up your STR and by the tome you find some good big guns, you will have the resources to feed them.

I'm level 55 with all points invested in PER, LUCK and AGI, and only 3 STR and 1 END and if I was to change 1 point/level to get to 15 strength alone, plus all the new perks and assorted stat changes I'd need, I'm looking at 20 more levels minimum, probably more like 30-40... might as well restart :v:

and of course on my current sneaky rifleman character I keep getting legendary heavy guns, it seems incredibly rare to get legendary rifles/machineguns (except the fixed quest rewards)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 24, 2020

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

TorakFade posted:

woah. That marksman rifle could potentially carry you through endgame unless it's like level 1-10 :v: I'm still rocking a lvl20 hunting rifle with double damage when full health, at 55

It's level 50 and I also have a level 45 2* handmade with +40% damage to enemies under 40% health or something, pairs up real nice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dravs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egbceXJs9J0

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dravs posted:

It's level 50 and I also have a level 45 2* handmade with +40% damage to enemies under 40% health or something, pairs up real nice.

holy crap I want your guns, those sound absolutely awesome, but I can't even find enough normal handmades to scrap for learning mods...

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Now is a great time to build excavator power armor. The black titanium is all over the miners and you can find the lunch pails. Earlier a friend and I found a house with three legendary miner treasure monsters hanging out together. I also got a 3* lever action that shoots an extra projectile so that's cool.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

So I just started this game today and I'll admit I am completely lost in terms of what I should be doing

Like everyone is saying, do the initial quests. Follow the Overseer's journey. You get some good loot whenever you find one of her stash boxes.

Stay away from the map corners. That's where everything that can kill you quickly lives. Flatwoods and Morgantown will keep a new player busy. I made the mistake of drinking the Nuka-shine and woke up in the Southeastern swamps at LVL 8 and had a miserable time being followed by a Scorchbeast as I tried to carefully make my way back to relative safety. Granted, if you die you can respawn somewhere safe and be no real worse for the wear. I still rather not die.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dravs posted:

It works everywhere. The ingredients are just primarily found in the forest.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

TorakFade posted:

I'm level 55 with all points invested in PER, LUCK and AGI, and only 3 STR and 1 END and if I was to change 1 point/level to get to 15 strength alone, plus all the new perks and assorted stat changes I'd need, I'm looking at 20 more levels minimum, probably more like 30-40... might as well restart :v:

and of course on my current sneaky rifleman character I keep getting legendary heavy guns, it seems incredibly rare to get legendary rifles/machineguns (except the fixed quest rewards)

Imo it is kinda fun having alts. I like being able to swap based on what playstyle I’m in the mood for. Plus you can put together different looks for each :)

Granted, it does kinda suck not having any kind of accountwide storage container to be able to swap gear over. Kinda hoping they add something eventually

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Account wide plans and a stash box are desperately needed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

One of the things the developers let slip is that the scrap stash works because those huge stacks of scrap do not slow down the server. You can have 100k steel but it is counted as 1 item.

In theory they could do an aid and ammo separate stashes and the game would run fine too.

They run into problems when stashes are full of unique items like notes, holos, costumes, and legendary items.

They could probably fix that by regulating notes and holos to some sort of compendium that could be scrolled through after picking those up, costumes being craftable if you break them down, and then making a smaller weapons/armor stash box.

Edit: of course this would all have to be locked behind fallout 1st instead of making the game better for everyone.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Don't forget to clear your friend requests, as that was also tied to stability

...somehow

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Don't forget to clear your friend requests, as that was also tied to stability

...somehow

Is that a PC thing?

Edit: I do find it weird that the game has like 2 spots that are complete shitshows for stability and FPS. The dried reservoir near the blood eagle town and the river branch outside of morgantown near the 2 train track bridges. I wonder what causes it.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 24, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone else get random frame rate going down the shitter, always when indoors (in an instance)?

I haven't really investigated it but it feels like maybe 10% of the time i'm in a "dungeon" I'll start dropping to like 10 fps. And I have an OCd 8700K and a 1080 Ti.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

bird with big dick posted:

Does anyone else get random frame rate going down the shitter, always when indoors (in an instance)?

I haven't really investigated it but it feels like maybe 10% of the time i'm in a "dungeon" I'll start dropping to like 10 fps. And I have an OCd 8700K and a 1080 Ti.

Not always when indoors, to me it happens 1) when my wireless controllery batteries are low, as stupid as it sounds 2) when someone does some kind of fuckery on the server because I change servers and all is well again

I have a very steady 60FPS all the time, then in the 2 cases outlined above it will just drop to super laggy 5-25 FPS without warning, either until I change batteries or server :shrug: it's weird

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Not always when indoors, to me it happens 1) when my wireless controllery batteries are low, as stupid as it sounds 2) when someone does some kind of fuckery on the server because I change servers and all is well again

I have a very steady 60FPS all the time, then in the 2 cases outlined above it will just drop to super laggy 5-25 FPS without warning, either until I change batteries or server :shrug: it's weird

I get the wireless controller problem with other games too. If my hands get sweaty or I point the controller down I have issues too.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Got mounted mothman plans from miner pails. And holy crap.... it’s... a... whole... loving.... mothman, not just the head like the others taxidermy plans :o I loving love it!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Krispy Wafer posted:

Like everyone is saying, do the initial quests. Follow the Overseer's journey. You get some good loot whenever you find one of her stash boxes.

Stay away from the map corners. That's where everything that can kill you quickly lives. Flatwoods and Morgantown will keep a new player busy. I made the mistake of drinking the Nuka-shine and woke up in the Southeastern swamps at LVL 8 and had a miserable time being followed by a Scorchbeast as I tried to carefully make my way back to relative safety. Granted, if you die you can respawn somewhere safe and be no real worse for the wear. I still rather not die.

Yeah I'm trying but I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing, can't seem to find any good items or weapons, the enemies can all just absolutely massacre me while I have to waste way too many bullets on even just one enemy to kill them, it's honestly just a completely unenjoyable slog so far, indeed I decided to just delete my current character and start from scratch as this one was going nowhere

I'm still willing to give this game a fair shake, but it's reminding me of how much I actually don't like the actual RPG aspects of Fallout(or Elder Scrolls) games and honestly feel the franchise would be better off as a standard FPS rather than half assing it as both an FPS and a RPG at the same time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I'm trying but I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing, can't seem to find any good items or weapons, the enemies can all just absolutely massacre me while I have to waste way too many bullets on even just one enemy to kill them, it's honestly just a completely unenjoyable slog so far, indeed I decided to just delete my current character and start from scratch as this one was going nowhere

I'm still willing to give this game a fair shake, but it's reminding me of how much I actually don't like the actual RPG aspects of Fallout(or Elder Scrolls) games and honestly feel the franchise would be better off as a standard FPS rather than half assing it as both an FPS and a RPG at the same time

What system are you on?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

What system are you on?

PS4

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Add me Mr_Hootington and I can help you get on your feet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

I felt the exact same way and focusing on melee fixed most of it and hitting 25 and getting in power armor fixed the rest of it.

And I've played every FO and have never played a melee character before. I always do rifles or gauss guns.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Add me Mr_Hootington and I can help you get on your feet.

Sent

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder if FO4 survival prepared me, cause outside specific points, I don't remember having any trouble with the game's difficulty.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Trip report:
My wife and I have been playing together for a couple weeks now and this is honestly a lot of fun. The jankiness we've observed is no different than that of FO4, which we're used to. The map is huge and gorgeous. Enemies are quite varied, especially for a Bethesda game. We're pretty much ignoring quests and pretending it's multi-player FO4. Just roaming around, collecting junk, and building our camps.

We only really do events or quests if we come across them naturally -- haven't been teleporking across the map. And we don't do quests if they're lame. Like, the world was just nuked and we're trying to survive. No I'm not going to dress up as an amusement park employee and play games to satisfy some robots.

Thats my main complaint I guess. FO4 had a more serious tone, as did 3 and NV. 76 tries to be a little too whacky sometimes, and it always falls a little flat. Hopefully that will change as more human npcs are added.

There's bugs, but they're endearing in a way only Bethesda can pull off. Like mobs that are frozen in place, or my wife somehow getting a trashcan stuck over her head as I'm watching her run around.

Players we come across are either helpful, funny, or 100% neutral. Seems like a good community so far.

She's building out a sniper build and I'm complementing that by going heavy into crafting. I was hoping to specialize in laser weapons and explosives, playing as a scientist type, but man, whenever I craft her .50 ammo 180 at a time, I wince whenever I have to make plasma and fusion rounds.

All in all, very glad we bought this. I was hesitant because on reddit, its nothing but doom and gloom "BETHESDA FIX", so I was expecting the worst. Maybe I should have taken that with a grain of salt, because it's Reddit. People will more than likely post their one bad experience despite having ten good ones prior to it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Counterpoint, playing a video game with your wife will always be fun if you love her.

Remember this if you ever stop having fun in Fallout 76. It won't be the game's fault.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Discospawn posted:

Counterpoint, playing a video game with your wife will always be fun if you love her.

Remember this if you ever stop having fun in Fallout 76. It won't be the game's fault.

Lmao yeah, it's easier to put up with a game's flaws when you've got a good partner. I think I would still prefer 76 though even if just for the map.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My main goal is to kill and eat every cryptid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I somehow bugged my character and I can instantly complete the settler daily instantly every day. The game just thinks I always have the quest item when I talk to ward. It's been this way for 3 days.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

I somehow bugged my character and I can instantly complete the settler daily instantly every day. The game just thinks I always have the quest item when I talk to ward. It's been this way for 3 days.

So that 'bug' was part of one of the recently patched rep exploits where you could complete that daily multiple times. Basically, you can find any of the items that Ward is looking for just out laying around in the world. They're specific junk items like a multiscope, turret control board or a few other things that spawn in some random places around the world. For whatever dumb reason, if you have one of those items in your inventory, that daily quest will skip right to the quest stage where you turn in the lost item, just without taking it from your inventory.

Even better/worse, not all of those items are junk items that'll get scraped. Specifically the portable power pack item is tagged as a misc item with 0 weight, so you can basically always carry that thing around and it'll let you instantly complete that daily as soon as you get it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

so apparently installing some creation club content on the ps4 version of fo4 corrupts the game in a way that you can't start a new playthrough. you have to reinstall, and only apply the cc stuff after making a new game

just want to reiterate how insane this is and the fact that it hasn't been addressed for years. you can pay bethesda money for content that fucks up your installation.

e:in case someone is thinking of playing Fo4, be careful about what creation club content you install. from what i gather armor paints and the like are the likeliest culprits, but ymmv.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 25, 2020

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if FO4 survival prepared me, cause outside specific points, I don't remember having any trouble with the game's difficulty.

I had the same thought. FO4 survival is brutal. I came to FO76 after becoming god of the boston wasteland and thought the difficulty was a refreshing light romp. /humblebrag

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fasnacht!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did that start today? I missed it the first time and don't really know what the big deal of it was.

Also I got my first pristine pail yesterday. It had the same thing as anything else in there. Best non junk or alcohol item was a mounted mole rat plan.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

IUG posted:

Did that start today? I missed it the first time and don't really know what the big deal of it was.
Having the head of an owl.

You might not know you need it, but you do.

It was also probably the last time I saw a significant number of people doing things other than killing the Scorchbeast Queen before I stopped playing, so I imagine it is still a good lure in that regard.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Any word on when the drat vending machines will work again?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

IUG posted:

Also I got my first pristine pail yesterday. It had the same thing as anything else in there. Best non junk or alcohol item was a mounted mole rat plan.

It has and the reward pool has some good cosmetics and a new stein display case that looks good.

I have found two 3 star treasure hunters, 3 pristine pails, countless dusty and regular. 1 of the new hat plans dropped.

With fasnacht starting I am done with the mole quest. It needs tweaks and their spawn rates need to be changed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got a new way to hit the daily cap limit if your tired of cooking meats. With Good with Salt perk, Green Thumb perk, Hard Bargain perk, and full unyielding armor you can sell raw flux to vendors for 3 caps per. So you can just wander a nuke zone and loot plants. I usually never find anything to fight in nuke zones so its relatively safe and boring.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ZombieCrew posted:

Any word on when the drat vending machines will work again?

This really ruined the fun of my Wasteland Dollar Store role playing.

Seriously, just selling everything for 1 cap in multiple machines was a blast AND solved my stash management problems. Come on Bethesda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fasnacht has been turned off due to small animals not spawning on public servers.