Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
any trip reports on new california y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the game is going to be dog poo poo and it will be rated higher then new vegas and will sell ten billion copies

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
is there a plot

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
is it like far harbor level story telling

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they put dragons into fallout

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
if microsoft dosen't immediately start pushing Wasteland or whatever tim and leonard are cooking up as an alternative to fallout then phil is a dipshit

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
that seemed like a bad linear mess that also clearly had a ton of work and care put into it

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the day a rpg kicks bethesda off its throne will be a good one

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
fallout is never coming back

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
did they add any story after the beta

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
doom is a good game

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
do they satisfactorily explain why the gently caress there are super mutants in this game

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Tenzarin posted:

Nope, super mutants to Bethesda are just orcs in fallout.

cool. cool. cool.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they put dragons in fallout

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyT00Dffqcw

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
you n'wah!

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a real shame that Ulysses wasn't done better, because the buildup to him in the base game and the other DLCs is really interesting, and one of the things that Avellone does best is make something as mundane as two people talking sound like the most epic thing ever.
"Where two couriers fought under an old world flag at the edge of the world."

That is a hell of a line and completely in step with Obsidian's writing style. You only have to look at the difference between Ron Perlman's diction for the introduction to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 to see how Black Isle and then Obsidian changed the direction of Fallout into something more mythic. Fallout 1 has a great opening where the world is matter-of-factly described before throwing you into the unknown. Fallout 2 begins with Ron saying "the reasons for the war are pointless", because centuries have passed and the old world has fallen into legend as the Wasteland has developed. By the time New Vegas starts, the Great War is reduced to a single line about atomic fire consuming the earth before shifting to focus on recent history.

The old world does not matter to the Wasteland, except when its shadow threatens the present. People hung up on prewar America have got a bad case of the old world blues, and Ulysses might just be the worst example. He's a man obsessed with trying to understand history and utterly failing to do so, but he's developed his entire persona around becoming a historian that he cannot see how far his misguided quest for revenge has driven him loony. There is something brilliant that you could do with that concept, but as he is presented in Lonesome Road, he fails to live up to the vaunted expectations Obsidian set with their earlier hints.

The Bethesda games are so hung up on Americana and nostalgia for the past that their entire ethos for Fallout might as well be Old World Blues manifested. There's plenty of that in New Vegas as well but it is examined as a state of mind rather than as window dressing. The Strip is a toybox for Mr House to literally play house by dressing up all these tribals like the elements of Vegas he remembered liking. It's a snowglobe in macro, an idea surrounded by walls, only able to exist in its current state, or shatter when an outside force acts on it. Nostalgia in New Vegas is fragile and often fatal if you don't learn to move on and let the past be.

just gonna quote this because its a good post

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

What is the best tear down of the game so far?

the nov 19th waypoint radio episode with rob and austin calmly breaking down all the ways fallout 76 fucks up not just within it's own space but how it also fucks up the fundamental thesis of the series in pursuit of allowing players to not have to confront what would be an interesting narrative of the vault dwellers being basically jumpsuited fascists commanding the survivors to obey them or die is extremely loving good

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
it bums out that fallout 76 has more NATO/Warsaw Pact weapons when that was one of the problems i had with fallout 4. fallout arsenals should be like 50% wacky future guns and 50% 40's-70's weapons

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i watched that entire emil video and here's what i learned:

- emil dosen't know what makes a good story
- interactivity is better by default then any other medium (why watch the revenant when you can fight a bear in skyrim! who gives a poo poo about the story telling that builds up to the Red Wedding that makes it so significant, you can be in the red wedding in skyrim!)
- complex narratives and stories are useless because players will ignore them
- emil proudly ignores all critique of his work

choice quotes:

"the story of the dark brotherhood........is actually a story of the catholic church!"
"skyrim is our most biblical story"
"fallout 4 is about androids! (20 minutes later) it's about james whitey bulger! it's about the monster in the closet!"
"the dialogue system in fallout 4 lets us have more fluid interactions with our characters"
""why watch a movie (shot of The Warriors) when you can interact with it instead (shot of player character dressed like a baseball fury killing another person with a bat)"

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"I'm one of the few authors whose written more books than he's read."

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
also emil talking about coming from Looking Glass (where his role was junior designer, so i imagine he just got the sandwiches for everyone) when literally all he did to get hired was write a glowing review on fuckin' Adrenaline Vault

i swear to god, if you hung out in the right IRC channels in 1997 you are probably a lead at Infinity Ward by now

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
god i just thought about how amazing a video game that does for bad video game plots and game dev superstardom from the 90's what garth marenghi's darkplace did for bad super natural horror/medial dramas written by narcissistic book authors would be

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
hey who cares about all this poo poo obsidian is teasing a loving space game y'all

https://www.obsidian.net/

:aaaaa:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
it's the Private Division game so it's likely going to be multi-plat. also confirmed no MTX and a focus on humor reminiscent of the original fallouts. rumors that it's going to be third person and unreal engine, along with a small scale (private division is all about sub $60 games so think like, hellblade quality rpg i guess?)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i can totally see it being a GaaS ~*live services*~ game because zenimax seems to be loving desperate for one because....................??????

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah bethesda can't give less of a gently caress about internal universe consistency if they tried

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
ropekid likes cats and bikes and leftwing politics and that's good enough for me to always like him

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
good tattoos too

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah who cares about this franchise that was originally bleak and satirical and posed questions about society and humanity as a whole, nukes are loving epic and i love dragons

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i will never forgive todd howard for taking away fuckin Rome-Vietnam-Venice-Columbia all mixed up Cyrodil and replacing it with the most boring substanceless fantasy

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Powershift posted:

I heard people say fallout 2 was good, it isn;'t even as three dimensional as fallout 76

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

CobiWann posted:

People are already modding Fallout 76 into Fallout 4.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36118?tab=description

*bowtie spins*

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
patrolling the mojave really makes you wish for a nuclear winter

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
could y'all imagine what Michael Kirkbride could do with fallout. give that man the most expensive whiskey and the finest cigars money can buy and lock him in a room for three weeks and out comes a genre defining classic

(Kirkbride was lead writer on morrowind)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the idea that fallout 4 had a good story is one of those takes that is so bad it just makes me want to go to bed

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
there are people who genuinely believe fallout 4 had a good story though

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The Mistress of Mystery questline has to be the best I have ever done in any Fallout. I hope in Fallout 5 we see the rest of the Unstoppables

hi todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the crabs and bees are from far harbor.