Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Having fun, Todd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Magmarashi posted:

It would still crash.

But the boobs would be so huge

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

[gif - dogmeat stops, rotates smoothly around his y axis, begins moving in new direction]

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

I don’t know why but that really pisses me off more than any other weird glitch I’ve gotten so far. It’s just so blatantly loving obvious and has zero reason to exist except for this being a low-effort cash grab where they could reuse as many Fallout 4 assets as possible without even attempting to improve on anything directly carried over from the last game.

The most charitable viewpoint is that 76 could have been remotely decent given a few more months of playtesting, but the bean-counters pushed it out the door in Nov. so that grandma could put it under the Christmas tree.

The least charitable is that the company was too cheap to hire new artists and 3D modelers, and the coders were huffing airplane glue.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have they said at all when they started working on this game? Because if it's 4 years or more I'm going to die of laughter

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I bet Valve are pretty pleased Bethesda decided not to put this on Steam after all, now they've dodged a "no man's sky" level of refunding.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

corn in the bible posted:

actually its because ulysses was his npc from fallout van buren and they were going to use him no matter what god loving drat it nobody disrespects chris avellone

isn't most of new vegas from van buren. i remember there was supposed to be like a chinese imperial invasion with an AI emperor or some poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a real shame that Ulysses wasn't done better, because the buildup to him in the base game and the other DLCs is really interesting, and one of the things that Avellone does best is make something as mundane as two people talking sound like the most epic thing ever.
"Where two couriers fought under an old world flag at the edge of the world."

That is a hell of a line and completely in step with Obsidian's writing style. You only have to look at the difference between Ron Perlman's diction for the introduction to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 to see how Black Isle and then Obsidian changed the direction of Fallout into something more mythic. Fallout 1 has a great opening where the world is matter-of-factly described before throwing you into the unknown. Fallout 2 begins with Ron saying "the reasons for the war are pointless", because centuries have passed and the old world has fallen into legend as the Wasteland has developed. By the time New Vegas starts, the Great War is reduced to a single line about atomic fire consuming the earth before shifting to focus on recent history.

The old world does not matter to the Wasteland, except when its shadow threatens the present. People hung up on prewar America have got a bad case of the old world blues, and Ulysses might just be the worst example. He's a man obsessed with trying to understand history and utterly failing to do so, but he's developed his entire persona around history to such an extent that he cannot see how far his misguided quest for revenge has driven him loony. There is something brilliant that you could do with that concept, but as he is presented in Lonesome Road, he fails to live up to the vaunted expectations Obsidian set with their earlier hints. He accuses the player of not taking responsibility for their actions based on events the player has no knowledge about and no options to have the courier "remember". He's so hung up on the Great Man theory of history that he can't comprehend that tragedies can happen based on factors outside of one's control. The Courier had to know what happened to the Divide because they allegedly caused it, and he can't accept any other answer. Things don't happen because of a number of factors, the Divide was all the Courier's fault and nobody else mattered.

The Bethesda games are so hung up on Americana and nostalgia for the past that their entire ethos for Fallout might as well be Old World Blues manifested. There's plenty of that in New Vegas as well but it is examined as a state of mind rather than as window dressing. The Strip is a toybox for Mr House to literally play house by dressing up all these tribals like the elements of Vegas he remembered liking. It's a snowglobe in macro, an idea surrounded by walls, only able to exist in its current state, or shatter when an outside force acts on it. Nostalgia in New Vegas is fragile and often fatal if you don't learn to move on and let the past be.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 24, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isn't most of new vegas from van buren. i remember there was supposed to be like a chinese imperial invasion with an AI emperor or some poo poo.

I dunno about that part but a lot of elements made their way into the final game one way or another. A very different incarnation of the Burned Man was a major part of Van Buren, but ended up in Honest Hearts. Ulysses is well written and would be a compelling character if I had any investment in the poo poo he was talking about but there's no foundation for his whole deal aside from his nearly unrelated references in the other DLCs.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ulysses is a good character.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Backhand posted:

I thought it was because Chris Avellone was super pissy and whiny about Fallout getting too deep into civilization and too far from when the bombs dropped, and used Ulysses as a mouthpiece to rant about all the things he hated in the setting.

I really hate Chris Avellone and find him massively overrated.

If this is true then I like Avellone even more, because he is completely right

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a real shame that Ulysses wasn't done better, because the buildup to him in the base game and the other DLCs is really interesting, and one of the things that Avellone does best is make something as mundane as two people talking sound like the most epic thing ever.

That is a hell of a line and completely in step with Obsidian's writing style. You only have to look at the difference between Ron Perlman's diction for the introduction to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 to see how Black Isle and then Obsidian changed the direction of Fallout into something more mythic. Fallout 1 has a great opening where the world is matter-of-factly described before throwing you into the unknown. Fallout 2 begins with Ron saying "the reasons for the war are pointless", because centuries have passed and the old world has fallen into legend as the Wasteland has developed. By the time New Vegas starts, the Great War is reduced to a single line about atomic fire consuming the earth before shifting to focus on recent history.

The old world does not matter to the Wasteland, except when its shadow threatens the present. People hung up on prewar America have got a bad case of the old world blues, and Ulysses might just be the worst example. He's a man obsessed with trying to understand history and utterly failing to do so, but he's developed his entire persona around becoming a historian that he cannot see how far his misguided quest for revenge has driven him loony. There is something brilliant that you could do with that concept, but as he is presented in Lonesome Road, he fails to live up to the vaunted expectations Obsidian set with their earlier hints.

The Bethesda games are so hung up on Americana and nostalgia for the past that their entire ethos for Fallout might as well be Old World Blues manifested. There's plenty of that in New Vegas as well but it is examined as a state of mind rather than as window dressing. The Strip is a toybox for Mr House to literally play house by dressing up all these tribals like the elements of Vegas he remembered liking. It's a snowglobe in macro, an idea surrounded by walls, only able to exist in its current state, or shatter when an outside force acts on it. Nostalgia in New Vegas is fragile and often fatal if you don't learn to move on and let the past be.

just gonna quote this because its a good post

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bholder posted:

If this is true then I like Avellone even more, because he is completely right

Other series do "oh god everything's exploding" better IMO. One of Fallout's strengths is that the greater distance between "now" and the apocalypse gives the writers more room to try different things (admittedly, not all of them work.)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

My bird is sick

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The DLCs for New Vegas were made by different teams, and it shows. Lonesome Road has good gunplay and exploration but gawdawful writing, whereas Dead Money has top-notch writing but horrible gameplay.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

StandardVC10 posted:

Other series do "oh god everything's exploding" better IMO. One of Fallout's strengths is that the greater distance between "now" and the apocalypse gives the writers more room to try different things (admittedly, not all of them work.)

Fallout has never really been about the Apocalypse itself. It's been about how different groups have tried to impose their vision of the future on a destroyed world, ranging from the restoration of the spirit of the old world government (NCR), restoration of the actual, corrupt old world government (the Enclave), the hording of technology and knowledge to prevent the tragedies of the past from arising again (Brotherhood), the proliferation of technology and knowledge to alleviate misery and suffering in the present (Followers), and the radical altering of humanity itself (The Master). The real function of blowing up the world was to create a blank canvas, which could be filled by these new factions and in turn influenced by the player.

Blowing up the world just to blow up the world, however, gets you Fallout 3 and 4-games whose factions have no real ideology, and few expressed goals other than mere survival and expansion. And while there's an aesthetic and gameplay appeal to the immediate aftermath of nuclear holocaust, having an aesthetic for the mere sake of having an aesthetic is ultimately hollow, which is why the stories and characters of those games have left far less of an impact than 1, 2, and New Vegas.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gynovore posted:

The DLCs for New Vegas were made by different teams, and it shows. Lonesome Road has good gunplay and exploration but gawdawful writing, whereas Dead Money has top-notch writing but horrible gameplay.

Dead Money's gameplay design was very, very good. The tuning was awful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still love Dead Money the most out of the New Vegas DLCs, but God does the level design hate you. Thankfully the engine is janky enough to cheese some areas. If the ghost people were toned down, the radios more sparse, and the holograms more tunnel visioned, it would be perfect. I even like the traps, though it does get telegraphed a lot when every doorway has a tripwire. When I don't feel like dealing with the Traps I just take Light Step and have more fun not exploding.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Ulysses is a completely worthless character. More, he's a DUMB character - not in the sense that he's poorly written (though he might be, depending on how the writers expected him to be received), but more in the sense that he's a guy who thinks he has the whole world figured out and in reality, views it through a very, very narrow lens. Ulysses is smart and capable as hell, and idealistic to boot... but he's obsessed with symbols, to the degree that he can only see what people "represent" rather than who they actually are. It blinds him to an awful, awful lot.

He never really catches on to that, either. In my first playthrough of Lonesome Road, I just had my Courier (I had figured out his character pretty well by then, or at least well enough) pretty much lie his rear end off, convincing Ulysses to stand down pretty much just by being insanely melodramatic and speaking in the grandest, most sweeping terms possible - because that's the kind of thing that clearly appeals to him.

Given that my little strategy there WORKED, and worked because I think I pretty much hit the nail on the head about who Ulysses was, I wind up feeling really conflicted about whether Ulysses was a good character or not.

EDIT: And yes, Dead Money had insanely good writing and really tedious gameplay. The gameplay was fitting, mind you - it was very, very thematically appropriate and felt exactly like the way they were trying to portray the Sierra Madre. Confusing, claustrophobic, short on supplies, and dangerous in very unconventional ways. I loved it for that, narratively speaking.... but I can definitely understand why a lot of people hated it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The issue is you can really only play Ulysses game or tell him to gently caress off. It's nice that you can tell him to gently caress off but you can't otherwise engage with him unless you buy into his symbology nonsense, whether you as the player believe you are lying or not. You can't convince him that his world view is wrong or that there are ways to view people beyond symbols and history. There's no option to tell him "no, me firing a nuke at Hopeville to get to your stupid temple is not evidence of my guilt, it was an outcome you planned in order to validate your view that I am responsible for the Divide, you self-deluded manipulative idiot. Hey, maybe that's just like what happened with the divide in the first place? NCR hired me to deliver a package assuming something would happen, does that make me responsible because I didn't know it would blow the valley to hell? How about this platinum chip? You walked away from that job to let me take the fall, does that make me responsible for House programming the chip's software 200 years ago? No it doesn't."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 24, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You know, thinking about it it's almost depressing how absurdly easy it would have been to give both Fallout 3 and 4 some actual ideological gravitas with only relatively minor changes.

Take Fallout 3. Part of the game's existing theme already is isolation—you play as the Lone Wanderer, exiled from a Vault that itself was designed to exist in complete isolation from the world. All they would have needed to do was expand that theme to the main plot—instead of the moral choice being the utterly nonsensical 'turn on the purifier and save everyone, or kill everyone because a computer told you to', make the choice be about who the water goes to—whether it stays with the Brotherhood/Rivet City, whether it's distributed throughout the wasteland as it is in the main plot, or whether it goes to the Enclave. Ramp up the necessity of turning on the Purifier by sprinkling in some dialogue about how the DC Wasteland is running out of drinkable water, and without it everyone will have died of thirst within a few years, and BAM! You've got a legit moral choice-whether you should focus on securing the future of those closest to you (Brotherhood/Rivet City), whether you should risk the future to help everyone (Widespread distribution), or whether you should maximize your own personal gain (Enclave, who presumably promise to make you a Senator or something instead of just being dumb genocidal morons). It's not genius, but it's something.

Fallout 4, you've got the same deal—Self-Determination. The main plot is ultimately a mess, since the question 'should the basically human robots live or die, and if so how hard' is a very stupid and shallow one, but you could easily make a few changes to make it more explicitly about whether the Commonwealth will be ruled by the Institute, Brotherhood, or neither, with the Synth question being an underlying subplot. This even ratchets in with the whole settlement system—on a micro scale, you're rebuilding towns, and on the macro scale you're rebuilding the Commonwealth. There's even shades of how this could have gone when Shaun asks you to dictate a message from the Institute to the wider wasteland, and the devs could have also made a bigger focus on who your character decides to become when their entire world vanishes in nuclear fire.

but they didn't, because Bethesda is dumb and incapable of writing a coherent plot with unified themes. OH WELL.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you are given quest and plot ideas by drawing from a hat and then going to program them, there's little chance for planning.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's shreds of good storytelling in FO4. Nick Valentine, Curie, the Railroad, the Institute vs Brotherhood thing, that Paladin who turns out to be a synth. The pieces are there, but it's just not quiiiite dynamic enough and interwoven to the degree that FO:NV was, and it feels like wasted potential when several big main quest ultimatums and impasses could be solved with easy things the player can think up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

synths are too big a leap of faith for me. I don't believe the institute could make realistic humans given their technology at the time, and I don't understand why they would do it. why did they make robots and why is that the main plot? why is the password to the railroad "railroad"? why is bethesda obsessed with the 50s kitsch aesthetic?

feel free to answer these in any order, thanks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

synths are too big a leap of faith for me. I don't believe the institute could make realistic humans given their technology at the time, and I don't understand why they would do it. why did they make robots and why is that the main plot? why is the password to the railroad "railroad"? why is bethesda obsessed with the 50s kitsch aesthetic?

We all know the answers to these questions though, it's because what ~Fallout~ is is a nice compendium of nuance and cool stuff with a slick paint-job and retro look. Bethesda looked at the cover, ate the paint, and passed out.

This kinda reminds me of Fallout:Tactics in the way that my friends and I loved that game because we'd set up a LAN and play it against each other and had a fantastic time everytime. I thought the single player game was fantastic as well and just loved it to bits. It was also my first Fallout game, so naturally when I get on the internet I see that a bunch of No Mutants Allowed jerks are being big shitheads and hating the cool Fallout game that I like. Years later I'd understand what their problem with it was but then Bethesda did Fallout 3 and that alone elevated Tactics to 'good but weird' game in the Fallout pantheon. Plus everyone seems to have forgotten it.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 24, 2018

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah I agree the end goal of the Institute isn't really very clear. I would have liked to have known more about why they were replacing random people, how they did it, what happened to the originals, and what it meant for the personhood of the replacement.

I also feel like the Railroad vs Institute conflict lacked authenticity because their goals really weren't that far out of alignment but there's never an opportunity to try to bridge the gap or make them see eye to eye. Whatever the most extreme extent of a faction's ideology can be is what it will be without compromise or nuance.

I don't have as hard a time with the synths because the whole gen3 vs gen2 thing is clearly a lift of human Cylons vs Centurions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mango sentinel posted:

Dead Money's gameplay design was very, very good. The tuning was awful.

Having replayed it just a few days ago, I think the start is still fantastic, but the gameplay gets monotonous by the time you get to the Salida and Puesta del Sol. Those areas also don't have enough environmental direction. Yes at first getting lost adds to the claustrophobia, but it eventually turns to frustration after you've killed off most ghosts but still have trouble finding your way around. The beginning didn't suffer from this because the points of interest are all distinct, individually interesting areas, and there's plenty of in-world signposting.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Near as I could figure the Institute's (or at least Father's) goal was to gently caress with people. Nothing they did was of any real merit or purpose other than "eh, let's gently caress with folks for a bit."

They pumped out the super mutants for no reason for years, made robo-gorillas because it sounds kinda cool, and made synths that are either so advanced that became self-aware, or were inherently flawed and became rebellious (depending on how you interpret the synths' sense of self). Instead of stopping production to figure out where they went right or wrong, they keep pumping them out and dedicate massive (dwindling) resources to trying to control their mistakes instead of starting over.

The Institute is a collection of either the smartest idiots or the dumbest geniuses, and I'm not sure which is worse.

Maybe the Institute made fallout 76.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Near as I could figure the Institute's (or at least Father's) goal was to gently caress with people. Nothing they did was of any real merit or purpose other than "eh, let's gently caress with folks for a bit."

They pumped out the super mutants for no reason for years, made robo-gorillas because it sounds kinda cool, and made synths that are either so advanced that became self-aware, or were inherently flawed and became rebellious (depending on how you interpret the synths' sense of self). Instead of stopping production to figure out where they went right or wrong, they keep pumping them out and dedicate massive (dwindling) resources to trying to control their mistakes instead of starting over.

The Institute is a collection of either the smartest idiots or the dumbest geniuses, and I'm not sure which is worse.

Maybe the Institute made fallout 76.

They are basically the boogiemen The Brotherhood has been afraid of and techno fascist about. They science for the sake of sciencing, with no real endgame beyond "well, we did it" and no real regard for anything outside of doing science. They'll burn the world down a second time just to compare how hot it burned this time to the last.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Magmarashi posted:

They are basically the boogiemen The Brotherhood has been afraid of and techno fascist about. They science for the sake of sciencing, with no real endgame beyond "well, we did it" and no real regard for anything outside of doing science. They'll burn the world down a second time just to compare how hot it burned this time to the last.

That's a good way to put it. They work as antagonists, it just feels unfulfilling to join them outside of an "I want to be evil" playthrough. You don't really get the sense of them being the only light for the Commonwealth that they claim to be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is all headgear cosmetic in FO76?

E:love the post-login 5 second freeze on ps4

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

why are they sciencing though, that's the part I don't get. dr. evil has more dimensions than these clowns.

e: whatever, thinking about this is exhausting.

has anyone refunded 76 yet? I heard that is happening now.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

why are they sciencing though, that's the part I don't get. dr. evil has more dimensions than these clowns.

Because they were raised to, by scientists before them, and scientists before even them. They don't know why they do it anymore because that isn't as important as doing it.

They cling to science as a God of the old world without understanding why, like the surface survivor who holds to a task or habit with ritual awe, no longer aware of its mundane significance before the world ended.

There Must Be Science.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Humanities time is over. The Institute is working on a replacement sentient being to be the top of the food chain when the inevitable happens and humanity becomes extinct. Either through it's own doing, at the hands (claws) of some runaway breeding of mutant monsters or the slow genetic breakdown to the point of infertility/compounded negative mutations.

The Institude as an organization isn't "evil", but at the time of fo4, it's effectively indifferent to the suffering of those above ground. Most of the scientists on an individual level have a conscious but appear to bury it because they unironically believe what they are doing is for the greater good.

Railroad is a problem because they have effectively taken alpha/in-development sentient (or near enough) beings and throwing them out into the world, bugs and all. I mean it takes a certain level of loving cautiousness to give life to something that has human (and beyond) levels of intelligence and then make them slave labor in the pursuit to make them obsolete, but the end goal is ultimately to create humanities replacement so I guess they figure they aren't going to settle.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rinkles posted:

Is all headgear cosmetic in FO76?

E:love the post-login 5 second freeze on ps4

I found a gas mask that says it protects from stuff, but I haven't found a place where I can use it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why don't holotapes autoplay despite the "play" prompt!?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I found a gas mask that says it protects from stuff, but I haven't found a place where I can use it.

There’s a large section of the map engulfed in toxic mist that harms you if you’re not wearing one.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
a little over a week after the release of this AAA game by a AAA studio it is already down to 22 euros :eyepop:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats what happens when your initial sales are down 80% and metacritic is giving you a 2.8.

Better throw up some big sales, hope to trick a few more fools, drop any future plans and move onto the next project because you arne't going to recoup any further financial investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This may come as a shock but people have discovered a large number of duping bugs in this video game. :monocle: