Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best.

"We like money but not work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tei posted:

But your logic is weak. If you connect a lamp to two different plugs. Plug A and plug B, and the lamp is activated in B and not in A, I dont think the lamp is broken, I think plug A fuse is broken. In this analogy your router/isp is the broken fuse.

Except this isn't the game because this game is a broken piece of poo poo and well documented all over the internet as being so; a shakey ISP won't make the game an unplayable mess unless it's specifically network based. I've experienced everything How Rude talked about on my 400/100 connection and it never goes out.

The game is just terrible.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
It owns that their excuse boils down to the engine being really convenient. That's probably what I'd do too, but I'm extremely lazy and unambitious, so not really the vibe they're looking for I think.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo TES6 is gonna be on gamebryo what the fucj

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"We like money but not work"

That's probably why they want to keep it as easy as possible for modders to fix all their poo poo. Understandable.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If the next elders scroll use the same engine, I hope journalist just give it a zero score and a empty article, because is beyond what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They'll just start merging all the assets from Fallout and Elder Scrolls together so they can mix-and-match and reuse whatever they need to when making a new game.

We apparently have dragons in Fallout so why not include nuclear jetpacks in the next ES game? It can take the place of a levitation spell.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pinely posted:

It owns that their excuse boils down to the engine being really convenient. That's probably what I'd do too, but I'm extremely lazy and unambitious, so not really the vibe they're looking for I think.

I mean it isn't like Todd Howard is going to personally program the game anyway, but he can't get off unless its gamebryo.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
gamebryo is somehow in its fourth trimester

its time to abort gamebryo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They'll just start merging all the assets from Fallout and Elder Scrolls together so they can mix-and-match and reuse whatever they need to when making a new game.

We apparently have dragons in Fallout so why not include nuclear jetpacks in the next ES game? It can take the place of a levitation spell.

This would make sense if they make a space game with elves aliens and klingons orcs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Floor is lava posted:

gamebryo is somehow in its fourth trimester

its time to abort gamebryo

man when these things take this long to get going that's how you end up with like embryonic disks and conjoined sextuplets

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow if Bethesda has tools for rapid development why don't they release them with their modding tools?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I just got a lever action rifle last night, and it still has the animation glitch where you’ll manually reload 5 individual bullets into it even if you only fired 1 shot. This poo poo was around in Fallout 4 and would be blatantly obvious if anyone on the dev team fired and reloaded the rifle even one time between Fallout 4 and 76. I still remember seeing multiple posts about it on the official forums when they released the weapon in the last loving Fallout game.

I don’t know why but that really pisses me off more than any other weird glitch I’ve gotten so far. It’s just so blatantly loving obvious and has zero reason to exist except for this being a low-effort cash grab where they could reuse as many Fallout 4 assets as possible without even attempting to improve on anything directly carried over from the last game.

/rant

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

Wow if Bethesda has tools for rapid development why don't they release them with their modding tools?

Cut out the middleman and just let modders both create and fix your games then slap your logo on it and let the money wash over you

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They can rapidly develop games for new systems like refrigerators and pregnancy tests

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I really want to like this game. It just keeps being not fun once you're "successful".

I've spent a lot of time in the last week playing, and even got a character to level 70. The endgame is just not fun. My weapons won't stay repaired (and the durability perk doesn't work). I can't stash enough of the resources to keep things in repair either, especially ballistic fiber and springs. I haven't even messed with power armor yet because the danged cores are 3 lb apiece and that fills up my meager stash or inventory too far. I have nuke codes and keycards and even if a nuke is set off, you just gather poo poo from inside the nuke zone to store.. where, exactly?

Enemies are horrible bullet sponges and take forever to kill, and come in gangs. This means I blow through my ammo and destroy my guns faster (see above). Even taking the bullet workshop or other crafting workshops only gives me more things to manage - boring things that involve me just waiting for a resource to be produced, that I can barely manage to store. And then I have to micromanage defenses where the turrets don't target enemies or be available for boring rear end wave defenses.

I started a new character to go through the quests that I haven't done the first time around, because that's the part I think is fun.

I've got this weird stockholm syndrome going on. The parts that are fun are really fun, but I can't even explore now on a larger character because I just keep getting my poo poo wrecked, which takes more time to just restock on poo poo to keep exploring and.. gently caress it.

If I could just store more stuff so I didn't have to take these constant resupply bullshit breaks it would be an improvement. Or being able to repair your weapons on the fly with a weapon repair kit or something.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Two things I dislike the most that get included in games are carry weight/inventory space restrictions and item degradation

I rarely cheat in games but those two things I cheat out immediately if possible

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Two things I dislike the most that get included in games are carry weight/inventory space restrictions and item degradation

I dunno, I liked weapon degradation in New Vegas.... because once you got the Jury Rigging perk, and figured out how to make Weapon Repair Kits, then degraded weapons became licenses to print free money.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Backhand posted:

I dunno, I liked weapon degradation in New Vegas.... because once you got the Jury Rigging perk, and figured out how to make Weapon Repair Kits, then degraded weapons became licenses to print free money.

new vegas did it the best, but, uh, the way it did it the best is damning with faint praise
jury-rigging should have just been a base feature, to begin with

anyway, what an unsurprising disappointment re: 76
i really wanted to like 4, but it just felt so soulless and i guess they didn't learn anything for 76.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FO76 desperately needs weapon/armor repair kits.

Also armor that needs ballistic fiber to repair but none to craft is baffling.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Floppychop posted:

FO76 desperately needs weapon/armor repair kits.

Also armor that needs ballistic fiber to repair but none to craft is baffling.

Well you can't just patch it with normal cloth!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

eonwe posted:

holy poo poo TES6 is gonna be on gamebryo what the fucj

It's not just that - given that it's probably 2 years for Starfield to come out and then another 2 years for TES6, they're going to be using an engine that is 20 years old and was inexcusably outdated when it was first released.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yes, it must come from the special military-grade duct tape.

I mean, seriously, wtf.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Electric Sugar posted:

Yes, it must come from the special military-grade duct tape.

I mean, seriously, wtf.

Camo, bullet proof and itll reattach your bumper to your car for at least a few weeks

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Hakarne posted:

I just got a lever action rifle last night, and it still has the animation glitch where you’ll manually reload 5 individual bullets into it even if you only fired 1 shot. This poo poo was around in Fallout 4 and would be blatantly obvious if anyone on the dev team fired and reloaded the rifle even one time between Fallout 4 and 76. I still remember seeing multiple posts about it on the official forums when they released the weapon in the last loving Fallout game.

I don’t know why but that really pisses me off more than any other weird glitch I’ve gotten so far. It’s just so blatantly loving obvious and has zero reason to exist except for this being a low-effort cash grab where they could reuse as many Fallout 4 assets as possible without even attempting to improve on anything directly carried over from the last game.

/rant

It's probably not quite a glitch but rather Bethesda were too loving lazy to make the reload change depending on the shots left so you just have one canned reload animation.

Obsidian, of course, managed to do it right a million years ago in New Vegas.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fallout 76:

Zelder posted:

Why would they want everything to work?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pinely posted:

There's some cool ideas in this game and it's a real shame they're wasted on this disaster.

To be clear, none of this actually works and you should not buy this game. All of these ideas are completely wasted. The game can be fun, but plenty of terrible games are fun. It's a game, if it wasn't fun on some level it'd be getting 1s or 0s from critics. You can get both Prey and Dishonored 2 for $27 right now, $3 less than the F76 discount. These are really good games that are fun, not terrible, and won't need a year of apologies and patches to fix.

Between the setting and the soundtrack, it's really sad that these aspects were wasted on this game.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Gobblecoque posted:

It's probably not quite a glitch but rather Bethesda were too loving lazy to make the reload change depending on the shots left so you just have one canned reload animation.

Maybe “glitch” isn’t the right word. But I don’t know, jamming like 9 rounds into a weapon designed to hold 5 seems weird. How about “dumb/lazy animation?”

Even more hilarious is that they do it right in this game with things like the pump action shotgun. That reloads the correct amount based on how many are missing, and you can even interrupt the reload to fire off shots early if you really need to. It’s just... lovely.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gobblecoque posted:

New Vegas was way worse. poo poo would straight up give you bogus ammo counts. Like 0 remaining listed 99.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wouldn't be surprised if the pump action is lifted straight from a f4 mod like a few of the other weapons in 76

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the pump action is lifted straight from a f4 mod like a few of the other weapons in 76

And this is where we run into the shittiness of who owns the mods. the company does

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes they will use the same Gamebryo engine they used since Morrowind, that is exactly what's happening, that is exactly what Gamebryo means.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Though it would make sense to patch it with leather.

gently caress, iirc it requires adhesive, screws, ballistic fiber, leather, and steel to patch leather armor.

And that's supposed to be the starter armor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lonesome Road really isn't very good

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

Yes they will use the same Gamebryo engine they used since Morrowind, that is exactly what's happening, that is exactly what Gamebryo means.

Nobody actually thinks that, though. What's undeniable is that whatever they want to call it, the tech their games are built on is simply not fit for purpose anymore, and their track record suggests that they're not gonna magically transform it for their next game. I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Nobody actually thinks that, though. What's undeniable is that whatever they want to call it, the tech their games are built on is simply not fit for purpose anymore, and their track record suggests that they're not gonna magically transform it for their next game. I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

And you think that just starting over would somehow magically make things better?

I'm not even sure what this core engine problem is supposed to be that is unfixable

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Rinkles posted:

Lonesome Road really isn't very good

It’s alright but yeah, it’s not as good as the other three. I love some of the gear in it, though. I don’t much care for Ulysses.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yeah I mean you could give Bethesda id tech and they'd still spend an afternoon on animations, tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bholder posted:

And you think that just starting over would somehow magically make things better?

I'm not even sure what this core engine problem is supposed to be that is unfixable

yeah Bethesda should stop developing games and give it to people who can

also Todd shouldnt be allowed to make game design decisions or even be an executive anymore