Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how people don't get that this isn't a mainline Fallout game. This is a open world survival game set in the Fallout universe, if you don't like those kinda games then don't get this. They'll make another proper Fallout 5 after TES releases. Did anyone actually expect another Fallout so soon and at the same time as a TES game is in development?

Just look at this as not a Fallout game because that's what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

They had to pick between making a mianline game, or a MMO game. They chose the latter, thus signalling a dark era for RPGs coming out of Bethesda studios. It's not like this non-mainline game cost no resources that could have been used to produce a decent RPG.

I imagine Fallout 76 is costing them a lot less resources than a mainline Fallout game especially in the art and writing department. They are making a mainline TES game which probably is consuming the majority of their resources. This is the first time they've made both a Fallout and TES game at the same time, I wouldn't have expected them to put out a mainline Fallout game and this is decidedly not one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I too would like to replace all scripting, characters and quests with randomly scattered notes and bits of fanfiction, as per the FO 76 vision.

Boys it's almost like this game set in the Fallout universe is not in fact a traditional mainline Fallout game but instead something new they are trying with the leftover development resources they have well a TES game is being made.

Naw, it's definitely the future of Fallout and they will never make another traditional Fallout game again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

if the something new sucks people aren't gonna suddenly think it's good just because it's something new

I mean that's entirely fine, if it's a bad game then it's a bad game. But people are in here complaining that this isn't Fallout 5 when it never sold itself as such and clearly meant to be a openworld survival game with your buds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I'm glad this Fallout game is not marketing itself as a Fallout game.

This is loving bullshit, Mario Teaches Typing isn't even remotely close to Mario 3! How could they possibly deceive us like this???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did people get this upset when Fallout Shelter was released expecting a deep questing system and fully realized 50 x 50 mile map?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

No because that was a free to play cellphone game and it was marketed as such, everyone knew it would be nothing more than a fun distraction for a brief while. This is a full videogame that people are being expected to presumably pay full price for alongside potential micro transactions (yes, just for cosmetics for now, but we'll see)

Also nobody who thinks the game looks like poo poo is upset, these people are probably just going to ignore the game. That seems to piss you off quite a bit however

But this game has Fallout in the name so clearly it's decieving me into thinking it's a full Fallout 4 sequel.

People are complaining that this game won't have writing and quests like a mainline Fallout game but I don't see how you could have thought that it would. It was pretty clear that this game is just a Rust/Conan open world survival. If you don't like that game fine, but complaining that it isn't like the other games that are entirely different doesn't make sense.

I'm not all that hype about Fallout 76 because I don't generally care for open world survival games, but I'm not disappointed it won't be single player because why would it be?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

Very cute, but you know what I meant

Besides, Fallout Shelter is more of an app relegated to cellphones and tablets (which is what Fallout 76 should be)

In lieu of what? You didn't honestly think Bethesda was going to announce Fallout 5 at this years E3 did you? Fallout 4 came out in 2015, Bethesda has always alternated TES/Fallout games so if we didn't get Fallout 76 there just would have been no Fallout game until 5 comes out in like 3 more years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

Would that be such a crime?

No that would have been fine. But they clearly had extra development resources outside of TES available to work on something so they are making a survival base building game set in the Fallout universe.

Apparently people would just rather a game not exist than something they don't prefer to play come out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just give me Warhammer 40k Power Armour and lets get it over with.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

There's such a thing as too high a risk (the John Carter movie, the Justice League movie, and Fallout 76, just to name a few)

Bethesda making a game in a genre that you personally do not prefer but other people might find fun is ok. Especially because the alternative would be no new Fallout game, it doesn't effect Fallout 5 in any way because the team that would be working on it is currently on TES.

If this game ends up being bad Fallout 5 will still come out and be exactly what you would expect from a mainline Fallout iteration.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

I don’t know what Bethesda has done to make people always assume they have the worst possible motivations.

Wrong colour mutants

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This game will have PvP and it will have griefing and it will probably still be fun because PvP games are fun sometimes and that is what Bethesda is making.

Also lol at anyone who thinks Bethesda has abandon single player Fallout and this is the future. It's just an offshoot game with Fallout styling, calm down. Fallout 5 will still come out in like 4 years after TES 6.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have yet to see anyone in this thread who is what I would describe as "hyped" about this game. The response is either tepid excitement for a new fallout brand game or people who think this is literally the end of single player Fallout and from now on it's just gonna be Battle Royale games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

TL;DW review:
16:05 - Current lineup is 76, then starfield, then TES6. No other major releases in between.

Confirmed, no Fallout 5. The future of Fallout franchise is 76.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

You don't lose items on death and you can't loot dead bodies. You just get a few caps and experience.

What is the motivation to kill anyone, again?

I think this game is meant to be primarily be a PvE game with your friends.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just realized there are no NPC humans in this game.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and I know this isn't the future of mainline Fallout games (Fallout 5 will come). But I guess this is basically just gonna be a Rust/Conan like game. Which is fine, but maybe not what I wanna play right now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also the PVP combat looks real rough, like it's just super twitchy and impossible to hit anyone with anything but an automatic gun or heavy use of VATS.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting the impression this game doesn't know what it wants to be.

It's not quite a base building game, it's not a survival game, it's not a story based RPG game, it's not a hardcore pvp game.

I guess it's a loot game?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, if you believe what Bethesda says (and I don't have any reason not to) the idea first started as a multiplayer Fallout 4 prototype that they didn't have time/manpower to integrate into the main game.

It's become very painfully obvious that this was meant to be part of FO4 but they didn't have the time to do it. So they spun it off as a full priced standalone but I'm not sure it's fleshed out enough to justify.

We'll see pretty soon I guess. The more I see of it the less interested I've found myself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy smokes that letter reads like a pre-emptive answer to "Yeah but what do you do in Fallout 76?"

Well having fun is up to you! The players will figure it out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

And that with Fallout 76, you too are left wondering "What, exactly, is this?"

And the answer to that question, more than any game we've made is "that's up to you."

I can't believe that's a thing they actually wrote to address fans concerns about what this game is the week it's launching, lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

Credit where credit is due though, Bethseda is basically saying "we've never done anything like this and we know the bugs are going to be new and exciting and probably NUTS" which is true and very fair of them to acknowledge in advance. It sort of reads like someone got a bee in their bonnet to make an open world survival fallout game so they just made it because they could, which I kind of respect.

Yeah it reads to me like they never really had a good idea of what this was going to be but they wanted to do something multiplayer, that's perfectly fine. Now that it's about to release they still aren't really sure what they want this game to be but they're banking on players giving them enough input to make it into something fun.

It probably started from a good place but it's starting to sound like this should just be entering early access not commercial launch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Somebody let the thread know when they find a streamer who isn't incredibly over the top and obnoxious.

So, never?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edit: this is not the World Series GDT