Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Tei posted:

Is also a enviroment where people will love to break the rules you set and "grief" other players. And fighting that is a endless war. The people that will buy your game with intention to grief have experience griefing in many other titles, they already know how to exploit your rules, just by reading about them in a blog post. More than any other piece of software, a sandbox is a software in constant change and evolution, and this put a lot of stress on the devs.
This is honestly my main worry/issue with Fallout 76 in a nutshell. The anti-griefing measures seem decent so far, but I feel like Todd and Bethesda are continually under-estimating the lengths that a small but determined number of people will go to in order to screw with other players.

I've watched my friend play Skyrim a few times, and sometimes in a new area the first thing he'll do is start attacking every NPC in sight, and then get really annoyed that he can't kill the plot-critical ones like he wants to, that no matter what he tries they just stand back up again. This is the mindset I'm talking about, the type of player who plays for a while and then goes "I'm bored now, time to start attacking everything that moves, I don't care if they're important or not, ally, enemy, neutral, who cares".

There's also the stuff that goes into the realm of griefing for griefing's sake; you know, stupid poo poo like door-blocking in The Division, where the only point is literally to piss other people off and keep them from being able to play the game. There's no in-lore punishment that Todd (or any game dev really) can design to counter this, because the whole point is that someone's getting their fun out of "lol, I figured out how to keep hundreds of people from playing the game". All you can generally do is ban them and try to fix whatever it was they were exploiting. (Yeah, Bethesda and bug-fixing don't have the greatest relationship.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wait there are goons concerned with griefing? id be concerned that there were too many things in place to prevent it. griefing is what goons were made for
It's less than I'm concerned and more "lol Todd you have no idea just how loving stubborn people can be"; my friend was one step away from throwing his controller the 6th time those poor NPCs got back up again. If Todd thinks players like that are going to play along with the "vision" of what FO76 is rather than doing anything and everything to destroy and/or exploit the gently caress out everything they can in-game, then Todd's going to be one very unhappy camper.

Basically, I'm looking forward to watching the collective "oh gently caress" reaction once Todd and the devs realize just what they're up against, and have to shift into damage-control mode. Someone's going to figure out a money exploit, players are going to figure out how to bypass or exploit the slap system and start snipe-ganking, and of course there's the classic wall-clip glitches, crashes, and other various Bethesda jank that will actually have to be addressed and patched in a timely manner since it's a multi-player game.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

lovely Wizard posted:

I watched a bunch of the 50 minute video and there's honestly nothing that excited me at all.

It's not going to be on steam (so no steam refund trial of the game to make sure it functions after the beta's improvements), the story elements appear to be suffering intensely from the lack of NPCs as expected, they've hastily gutted the few elements of PVP that seemed interesting, and it not only does it look pretty janky/ugly but we're beholden to Bethesda's B-Team as the sole source of bugfixes.

I tried to look at the bright side but this is a quick and dirty asset flip of poo poo they had laying around.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I don't like what I'm seeing for the previews which is unfortunate.

I don't trust Bethesda to get the world bug free and running optimally (you can see just how bad the fps is at points)

If this was a normal current fallout game you could just mod out the issues, but the online portion is just another way to force people to use the creation club in my opinion.

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Don't forget the 'can't count on the community to mod out the obvious development bugs' part. That's what's mostly got me as a hard No on this, community-built mods are what has made all of the Bethesda fallouts playable for me.
Yeah, the gameplay footage so far combined with no Steam support plus no community mods to actually fix the million and one bugs in a timely manner has made me a pretty solid no on FO:76.

Oh well, it is what it is.

I'm still gonna watch some release day footage and laugh at all the janky and broken exploits that players are sure to discover.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 9, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Starks posted:

Have you seen any of the videos? The VATS is the worst option they could have gone for and the graphics look worse than fallout 3 in some places. Add in the whole half assed mmo stuff, the short dev cycle, and Bethesdas track record with bugs, its hard to imagine this game will be anything but garbage.

I just googled fallout 76 previews and could not find a single good impression. Try it.
This is a really big thing for me. Some (non-Bethesda) game studios release semi-janky stuff but will quickly patch the game and remove bugs as quickly as possible, and so "this game looks decent but it's got some issues" comes with the knowledge that bugs will be addressed and solved fairly quickly.

Bethesda games have bugs on top of bugs on top of kludged-together jank, and they seem to basically rely on modders to solve the bugs. A multiplayer game with no mods or private servers means you can't just download "The Unofficial Fallout 4 76 Patch" with hundreds of minor and major bugfixes, you have to wait for Bethesda to do all of it themselves. And then hope that their fix doesn't break something else in the process.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Bholder posted:

So in short, Fallout 76 might be worthwhile after a year worth of patches and when the mods come out, but maybe not even then.
Even then, once you lose the crowd it's hard to get them to come back.

"Hey it's been a year and Fallout 76 is playable now, and we finally got mods available, everyone come play! Guys?"

"Oh, you're playing Red Dead Online, or you went back to Destiny/Rust/FO4/New Vegas. Well poo poo, this was a bust."

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

2house2fly posted:

I think No Man's Sky is popular again now
https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/25/no-mans-sky-steam-player-numbers-surge-next-update/
https://steamcharts.com/app/275850#1y
No Man's Sky peaked at around 96,000 players in June and July thanks to the update plus a 50% off Steam Sale, but has since gone back down to the 4000-5000 player range. That's still better than it was prior to the month of June (averaging 2000 or less), and puts it in the top 100 played games on Steam.

Gosh it's a good thing FO76 will be on Steam, and will get a fresh infusion of players and sales every time there's a 50% off Steam Sale. It would be terrible if FO76 was exclusively on Bethesda's proprietary launcher instead of just being on Steam like every other Fallout game, Skyrim, and Wolfenstein II currently are.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

deathbagel posted:

Reddit is compiling a list of issues that the early stress test beta testers are reporting. Some amusing ones. I love Bethesda! Still looking forward to it. Wonder how much of this will be fixed by mid November.

Known reported issues:

[A gigantic list of bugs and other issues that look very similar to other Bethesda games]

Saladin Rising posted:

This is a really big thing for me. Some (non-Bethesda) game studios release semi-janky stuff but will quickly patch the game and remove bugs as quickly as possible, and so "this game looks decent but it's got some issues" comes with the knowledge that bugs will be addressed and solved fairly quickly.

Bethesda games have bugs on top of bugs on top of kludged-together jank, and they seem to basically rely on modders to solve the bugs. A multiplayer game with no mods or private servers means you can't just download "The Unofficial Fallout 4 76 Patch" with hundreds of minor and major bugfixes, you have to wait for Bethesda to do all of it themselves. And then hope that their fix doesn't break something else in the process.

Yeah, good luck with that.
I rest my loving case. There is a month to go before release, and that's a huge loving list of bugs that need to be solved. Bethesda will not fix all of those before release. I don't even know if they could fix all of them before release. In a single player game, a third of that list is non-critical stuff that can be ignored/worked around or solved by a quit and reload. But a multiplayer game is a very different beast than a single player game.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Lunatic Sledge posted:

yeah I can live with some dumb Bethesda jankery but stuff like

[really bad, gamebreaking stuff]

would grant me the supernatural power to explode my butthole over the phone at a customer service rep
I just want you to know that I have spent the last 5 minutes laughing my rear end off at this post, and my cat is looking at me like I'm crazy.

Donovan Trip posted:

gently caress this game lol
I'm impressed at how quickly you've shifted from being excited about FO:76 to joining the rest of us laughing at how much of a shitshow it's going to be. Honestly that's probably a pretty good indicator of how the actual release is going to play out.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Moose-Alini posted:

I’d probably gently caress around a bit for $30 but full priced is crazy.
Honestly this is a big part of where my disappointment with FO:76 originates. Everything I've seen so far has has basically re-affirmed my initial impression that this was just a half-assed cash grab built around Fallout 4 multiplayer that Bethesda decided to rebrand as a full game.

I don't hate the game really, I hate that Bethesda is treating it like a full $60 dollar game with exclusive pre-orders and a closed beta and poo poo, and not marketing it as the $15 or $20 dollar "hey here's Fallout 4 multiplayer edition" game it really is.

Me laughing at the multitude of bugs is both a comedy bonus and further confirmation of Bethesda's half-assing. If they'd been serious about making this game playable and less glitchy than usual then the beta would have started back in like July or August, rather than "hey there's a beta two weeks before launch, and only if you give us your money sight-unseen pre-ordered the game".

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Bardeh posted:

That letter is pretty much a tacit admittance that the game is not finished and still has a ton of issues that are absolutely not gonna get fixed in time for release. Ridiculous.

Saladin Rising posted:

Honestly this is a big part of where my disappointment with FO:76 originates. Everything I've seen so far has has basically re-affirmed my initial impression that this was just a half-assed cash grab built around Fallout 4 multiplayer that Bethesda decided to rebrand as a full game.

I don't hate the game really, I hate that Bethesda is treating it like a full $60 dollar game with exclusive pre-orders and a closed beta and poo poo, and not marketing it as the $15 or $20 dollar "hey here's Fallout 4 multiplayer edition" game it really is.

Me laughing at the multitude of bugs is both a comedy bonus and further confirmation of Bethesda's half-assing. If they'd been serious about making this game playable and less glitchy than usual then the beta would have started back in like July or August, rather than "hey there's a beta two weeks before launch, and only if you give us your money sight-unseen pre-ordered the game".
What's that feeling when you totally called something, but you also feel kind of disappointed because the thing you predicted was disappointing? Because that's how I feel right now.

I do find it funny that Bethesda themselves acknowledged in that letter that their games are buggy as poo poo, and that they'll have to do regular bugfixes of FO:76 rather than just saying "Yay the game's out, we're done!" and leaving it up to fans/modders to do bugfixes.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The saddest part about this game probably being bad is that West Virginia is an A+ place to set a post-apocalyptic game and now that location has been wasted.
This is the other thing that low-key disappoints me about FO:76. There is so much potential neat stuff you could do in a West Virginia-based Fallout games, and none of it is going to happen even if FO:76 doesn't completely flop.

E: So who's one of the the more tolerable FO:76 streamers that everyone's watching?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

caps on caps on caps posted:

robots take bleeding damage over time from serrated knives.

Yeah, for sure they didn't take out NPCs in the last second for some reason.
Lol, this is great. This is exactly the kind of stuff that you need a proper in-house beta for, this kind of "oh, lol how the gently caress did we miss that" stuff should never make it to actual players.

E: Streamer just now: "Yeah I'm having fun. I wouldn't call it game of the year exactly, but it's a game I'll have fun playing."

That's what you say for a game that you play casually for a couple months because it's the newest game you just bought. Then you move on to the next newest game (Red Dead Redemption 2, for example) and end up never touching the old game again. It's not even that uncommon for a lot of games on Steam.

But uh, FO:76 isn't on Steam. Hmm, now who was the loving genius who decided that one?

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 24, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Donovan Trip posted:

Just watched a vertibird fly out of the ground into the sky lol

This game may be secretly brilliant for it's bugs. I can't wait to see a compilation.
On this topic, someone on reddit finally had the reality of "multiplayer means no console commands" truly sink in:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/9qhxkl/bethesda_note_to_fans/

quote:

P90RooshB
So keep in mind this will be the first 3D fallout game where you can't just use the console to fix bugs. You can't give yourself noclip or godmode or anything like that. You also cannot mod your game for stability. Knowing this, and knowing they pushed preordering hard, it seems like release day will be a small disaster. They were smart to do a beta test phase.

The hardcore 76 fans have blocked out all criticism of the game and warnings from people who have struggled with the bethesda launcher and etc. in the past. I'd bet some of them will have a very sudden mood change about 76 and voice this change online.

Sentinel-Prime
Oh my loving christ in heaven I never even thought about that. The SetStage console command is the only thing that got me through bugged quests.

adokretz
Also the "moveto" or "additem" for when people or items disappear.
I will never not find it funny watching people come to the horrified realization of "oh god we can't just use console commands, we actually have to rely on Bethesda to fix all these bugs".

The first guy is wrong though, pretty much every bug you see in this beta will be in the initial game release (because it's only 3 weeks away, that is literally not enough time to find the bug, fix it, and release a signed-off multi-console patch).

The gameplay you're watching on Twitch right now, that's it; this is Fallout: 76 in all its glory. All its buggy, janky, stuttery glory.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 24, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm going back and forth between this Swift guy and a Peeve guy. I got to say I'm not seeing a lot of deal breaking problems so far just the normal levels of Bethesda jank.
"Normal levels of Bethesda jank" is a big loving problem in a multiplayer game:

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm playing Skyrim again with all the unofficial patches and such and had to noclip my way out of a random spot I got stuck in a fight in tyool 2018
10 seconds of noclip is a workable solution to jank in a single-player game, not in multi-player.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Lol, streamer is ending his stream and (among other, more positive things) he said he felt a bit "burnt out". After one 4 hour session.

That is like the most damning indictment of FO:76 I can think of; you should be loving pumped and excited after your first session of getting to play a brand new game, not burnt out.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 24, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They seem to be doing a terrible job of controlling the message unless they were aiming for 'tepid, bordering on hostile' so I don't know of it's working... or maybe they were hoping that all those early access streams would pressure people into preordering as well since they have no will power.
It's funny, if Bethesda had treated Fallout: 76 like an early-access game and had it on Steam for $15 or $20 under "early access" they could have done exactly what they've been doing but with a more positive vibe, far fewer negative reactions, and very little negative press.

Instead, they're releasing this game on their own exclusive launcher as a full $60 AAA game when it's very clearly not at that level, and won't be for probably a year at least. And people are reacting exactly how you'd expect.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Part of me doesn't want to see this game fail because I love Fallout and am a long time fan.

But another part of me does want this to fail because Bethesda won't learn anything otherwise, and because I'm reasonably certain that if some B-team cash grab goes off the rails it won't torpedo the franchise.

The latter part of me is much larger than the former.
I think how things are going now is actually an okay sign for the future of the Fallout series.

Bethesda seem to already be aware that people aren't very happy with FO:76 (hence the letter the put out), and the game will get mediocre sales, mediocre reviews, and the number of players will start to decline after a month or two, especially after Red Dead Redemption 2 releases. Throughout all of this, the message has been and will be fairly clear that the issues are with Fallout: 76 and the design choices for it, not Fallout in general.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Lunatic Sledge posted:

does bethesda ever actually fix any problems, in any games
Generally they just wait for modders to solve all the bugs instead.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664

quote:

[Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch] is just what it sounds like: an unofficial patch for Fallout: New Vegas. YUP addresses a number of bugs, exploits, and other such issues with Fallout: New Vegas that were not fixed by the final official patch to the game. There are enough bugs left in the game that having some mod which fixes them is vital, and (in my slightly biased opinion) YUP meets that need admirably.

So what does it fix?

A lot of bugs in the main game as well as all DLCs (Courier's Stash, Dead Money, Gun Runners' Arsenal, Honest Hearts, Lonesome Road, and Old World Blues).

What bugs? Well it's a really, really long list, several pages in fact and too much to put in the main description. You can check the full list of fixes by checking the ReadMe section for this mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/

quote:

A comprehensive bugfixing mod for Fallout 4. The goal of the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch (aka UFO4P) is to eventually fix every bug with Fallout 4 not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, in one easy-to-install package.

Features:
- Hundreds of gameplay, quest, NPC, object, item, text and placement bugs fixed.
- Created by the authors of the Unofficial Oblivion and Skyrim Patch series.
- No unsafe changes (such as deletions of stock objects).
- Designed to be compatible with as many other mods as possible.
This link below is the list of all the fixes the Fallout 4 mod makes; look at how loving long the page is:
https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/Unofficial%20Fallout%204%20Patch%20Version%20History.html

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 26, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Eiba posted:

Oh god I'm playing the game now and there's two twich streamers making rape jokes and racist jokes during the character creator and there's no loving way to turn it off.

This is literally the most unpleasant experience I have ever had in a game ever. How the gently caress do I mute people? This is literally nauseating.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

loving excellent, open mic you can't switch off during character creation so you hear eight twitch streamers all talking over and getting real confused on one stream

Yardbomb posted:

The Dynamic™ Community-Driven™ Experience™ everyone should expect :laffo:

You mean to say that this video was accurate after all?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koV7ZZB2Ufw

I'm shocked, shocked to find out people would be gigantic assholes in an online multiplayer game, like they have been in every online multiplayer game ever.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

As an American who lives on the best coast, I'll be enjoying my 4 hours of F76.

Glenn Quebec posted:

this beta preload deletion!!!! hoisted by my own petard. I owe this thread an apology. I am sorry.
Apology accepted.:)

GWBBQ posted:

How the hell do I use voice chat?
Thread advice seems to be: don't.

Eiba posted:

Oh god I'm playing the game now and there's two twich streamers making rape jokes and racist jokes during the character creator and there's no loving way to turn it off.

This is literally the most unpleasant experience I have ever had in a game ever. How the gently caress do I mute people? This is literally nauseating.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

Seriously, I was worse than that. I was super cunty because I felt like people were being annoyingly reactionary.

Welp.
Wow, I'm legitimately not used to seeing someone apologize for being an rear end in a top hat on the internet. Good on you.

And yeah, we were just being realistic given Bethesda's track record with buggy games, and unfortunately Bethesda has exceeded even that. I'm used to lots of jank inside Bethesda games, but it's new to see the jank spread to the the game launcher itself. I legitimately wonder how many refunds this incident alone will cause.

eonwe posted:

if only there were some solid digital distribution platform that didn't randomly delete your poo poo
It's amazing, even the no-negativity echo chamber that is the FO:76 subreddit is starting to get pissed off:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9st6gk/hey_bethesda_if_you_are_going_to_be_greedy_and/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9ss6zh/the_countdown_in_the_launcher_was_just_a/
You're losing the crowd Todd, and the game isn't even officially out yet.

quote:

bolxrex:
Weird poo poo happens with steam, but it has the validate game files for that and it usually takes no more than a few minutes to do.

What pisses me off is I had a huge debate with a buddy who isn't buying the game BECAUSE it's not on Steam saying he doesn't need another digital game manager/portal from another company. And i spent a long rear end time refuting his point about that not really being relevant. Foot in my loving mouth.

Motocamperman:

I was on the fence about when to buy. After seeing this mess, I absolutely won't buy until either it is available on Steam or it is decently on sale. No sooner (and I'm pissed about it, I've been playing New Vegas all day to get in the mood for hearing about the PC beta launch)

VAMPHYR3:

Ontop of still no Ultrawide support.

I mean, the resolution works fine when editing the config file, but the UI goes to poo poo.

2018, multi billion dollar studio, one of their biggest IP, full price, yet too lazy to add ultrawide resolutions to the settings and edit the loving UI to work with it.

There is no loving excuse for this, and them saying it'll be added post launch is even worse. This ain't some indie dev studio... how the gently caress can you say you'll add proper resolution support to a full price AAA title after launch?

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 31, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9stgdq/pc_users_read_this/

quote:

PC USERS READ THIS (self.fo76)

Turn off V-Sync in your Fallout76Prefs.ini in your doucments. I went from 40 fps to 140 fps with an RTX 2080 - i7-8700k. C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout 76

THEN SET TO READ ONLY

EDIT: Change these to disable vysnc

iPresentInterval=1 --- V-Sync with 60 fps lock.

iPresentInterval=2 --- V-Sync with 30 fps lock.

iPresentInterval=0 --- Dis V-Syns, unlim fps.

quote:

420kushirino:
This breaks the physics btw, I'm getting 200 FPS and im running super fast LOL

edit: everyone was downvoting me when i said this was going to be an issue before. as seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

johnson881_:
Jesus Christ they didn't fix that for a multiplayer game? The game has built in speedhacks jesus

freshfishfinderforty:
so, we make a meelee build, go to 200 FPS go melee build and have a 5x attack speed multiplier.

Also applicable to the rate of fire of weapons. less then an hour in and we have our first cheat guys!

theoneandonlybrendan:
Really boggles my mind that this has gone past testing, build in cheats..... great.
They didn't fix the goddamn game engine speed being tied to the framerate. Holy gently caress.:eyepop:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Donovan Trip posted:

If something this flawed was discovered an hour into beta launch I'm excited to see what shenanigans we'll see on a month

tweet my meat posted:

Imagine how they're gonna respond to actual hackers when that becomes a thing
This is what I'm most looking forward to watching unfold. The framerate=game speed exploit is still in the game, so that probably means every other exploitable piece of jank from past games is also still in FO:76. Bethesda is used to modders fixing their bugs, but now modders will be the ones circumventing any patches or fixes that Bethesda releases to try to stop duping exploits, framerate hacks, et al.

Bethesda might want to hurry up on those private servers, otherwise get used to watching people magically zoom around the map at 200+ FPS causing all kinds of chaos.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9suwl5/unlocking_your_fps_gives_you_speed_hacks_just/

quote:

cerealkillr:
Here's another question. Does this game have any form of anti-cheat? Like, any whatsoever? I'm not even talking about locking the game's config files so you can't do this. I mean a proper anti-cheat that prevents script injection, that has server-side validation, that prevents people from using sophisticated cheating programs.

If you can unlock your FPS and get speed hacks by editing two lines in a .INI file I seriously doubt that Bethesda has put the thought and effort required into securing their game.

LilRobot:
it has some silly pseudo anti-cheat that just checks for window names of common debugger and disassembly programs.

cerealkillr:
Oh god. That's some indie game poo poo. That's what Escape from Tarkov does and they have a massive hacking problem.
Oh this is going to be a glorious clusterfuck even before release day hits.:allears:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Watching more beta streams, and the worst thing about this is that if it were a Fallout 4 expansion I'd probably be all over it. But paying full price for half a game, plus all the usual bugs that haven't been fixed in almost 30 years, plus all the new exploits is still such a turn off. The world looks fun enough to explore but everything else related this game does not...

Looks like you can still modify the .ini file while the game is running. Sure that will lead to all sorts of fun, too.
Yeah this is me in a nutshell. I'm actually rather glad that there are still goons in this thread having fun; you guys have all the fun you can with FO:76 and keep us posted.:)

Like Psychotic Weasel said, it's not even that the game doesn't look fun to play, it's that there multiple issues (both old and new ones) all at once. You've all the thousand little problems that have plagued Bethesda games for years, no Steam, no mods (read: fan bug patches), plus some bigger red flags like the framerate=movement speed thing and that the game happily accepts you editing the ini file that make me not interested.

The best I can say is that I hope this plays out like No Man's Sky and that the game get enough patches and content to make it what it really should have been at launch.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Rinkles posted:

This much is FO4 survival mode basics.
Also real life survival basics.:v:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

DebonaireD posted:

The greatest thing of all though is seeing all the relentlessly negative posters quietly loving off when they realized this wasn't going to be the trainwreck they were hoping for.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/24

l m a o

bethesda doesn't checksum their resource files, so people can do all sorts of stuff, like this (reveal where exactly the lock location is)

check the comments for some great reactions
So DebonaireD, I believe you were saying something about this not being the trainwreck we were hoping for? Because this is exactly the trainwreck I was expecting, even if I wasn't specifically hoping for it.:v:

Seriously though this is legitimately the biggest issue as a whole with FO:76. Do Todd and co. not realize that people have been extensively hacking the gently caress out of Bethesda games for years, and that the reason it hasn't mattered until now is because they're solo player games? Did they seriously think that people were just going to play nice, and not hack the gently caress out of FO:76 like they did with FO4/New Vegas/Skyrim, especially since the game is really, really similar to the aforementioned games?

E: Seriously if they were able to just drop in the Fallout 4 lockpick mod as-is and have it function then it seems like Bethesda basically just bolted on a multiplayer mod to Fallout 4 and shoved it out the door with a new name and zero other changes

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 6, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

eonwe posted:

holy gently caress lmao you can disconnect people by telling the server they sent a disconnect command
Oh my loving god they did just bolt on a multiplayer mod to Fallout 4 and shove it out the door with a new name and zero other changes.:laffo:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

oh for christ's sake

Look - don't buy the game. Save your money for a unanimously feted game that earns 10/10 from every review source and comes out at a permanent half-price and comes also with a lifetime subscription to Penny-Pinching Gamers of somethingawful.com Weekly.

Happy?
Or maybe buy one of the many $60 games that don't have your movement speed tied to your framerate, a game and where you can't disconnect people just by telling the server they sent a disconnect command. Maybe a game that's on Steam.

Nah, there can't be that many games with those impossibly high requirements, right?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Spacedad posted:

We're having fun in 76 in spite of the game at times seeming to be actively hostile to us wanting to have fun.

That said, let's not diminish the fact that some of the bullshit in this game is so bad that its lack of accessibility options literally keeps some people with medical issues or disability related to motion sickness from playing it. Which is quite frankly, inexcusable in 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSeFOCx9qLM
This game is a broken rushed product that has fun in it IN SPITE of how broken and rushed it is. I'm going to keep playing and enjoying it, but any egg on bethesda's face over this game is very deserved.

Roman posted:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/article/48zcUmxp7O2se0CIMMwmGg/fallout-76-upcoming-features-and-fixes-november-2018

Nov. 19 patch will be all bug fixes and optimizations.
Stash size increase, PC push to talk, 21:9 support and FOV slider "before the end of the year"
I legitimately don't get why Bethesda didn't make the beta/pre-release period longer to fix exactly this poo poo right here. It's not like they had a set date years in advance for Fallout 76, they could have easily picked whatever the hell date they wanted for release.

Also I agree with Spacedad, the motion sickness stuff is inexcusable and really does annoy me. Games should be fun for everyone, they shouldn't make you feel like you need to run to the bathroom to upchuck your lunch after 10 minutes of playing.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Nichael posted:

I'm kind of addicted to this thread just because I enjoy a good trainwreck in entertainment media.
Same. It was fun as hell watching the "oh my loving god the frame rate is still tied the game speed" discovery happen in basically real-time. That was a grade A1 train-wreck of a discovery that is still my go-to "wow how the gently caress did they let that get to Beta/release without doing anything about it".

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Retroblique posted:

Basically everything you said.

The game's scratching that survival/exploration/crafting itch for me. I'm sure once I've scoured every square inch of the map I'll be done with it and only return for the odd wander or to check out the expansions, but at the moment it's perfectly fine. I really don't understand the seething anger and hatred.

The "dislike" camp seem to be spread into a number of groups:

1) The usual "all Bethesda games are lovely bug-fests" hate bandwagon.
2) "It's not a 'proper' Fallout game. Whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
3) People who are pissed off because there are severe penalties/restrictions for those who just want to grief the poo poo out of everyone, thus forcing them to play "normally". Therefore "it's a lovely multi-player game".

I mean, each to their own, so spend or save your money accordingly, but I think most of the negativity has been blown all out of proportion.
I haven't really seen anything I'd describe as "seething anger and hatred", mostly it's just been an air of disappointment at the various shortcomings of FO:76. And calling out the multitude of bugs in FO:76 isn't a "hate bandwagon", it's because bugs can and do suck the fun out of a game like nothing else, and there's nothing the player can do to prevent them.

goomsnarr posted:

I'm afraid to say that I agree with the "Do Not Buy This" camp :-(
I had been incredibly lucky (it would seem) all through the "beta" phase, and only had the water texture bug (either no texture, or solid white) which was fixed.
Since release, holy poo poo.
CTD's, game won't exit, terrible storage cap etc etc etc

I've been trying to make the best of it, and just enjoy the Fallout feel. I've been enjoying wandering about, doing quests and expanding my camp (industrial water purifier ftw!).

But I have to say, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be bothered. Everything is just so tedious, and I'm getting fed up with hoping the server synchs with my progress before it crashes.

I just had a colossal fight with super mutants and robo-vertibirds, even managing to loot the cargo-bot and GTFO, until.....<server is not responding, controls frozen>......repeat....repeat.....<you have been disconnected>
All the loot....gone. There's nothing there to show what happened; no smoking debris, no corpses.

In honesty, it's not that I lost the loot...it's that I had this amazing game sequence, got through by the skin of my teeth; it was tense and exciting....and then....nothing. It never happened as far as the game is concerned.

In short, wait for Fallout 5. You're not missing much.
It's experiences like this one that can permanently sour someone's experience with a game, because the problem isn't anything the player did or didn't do; it's entirely on Bethesda's end that this happened and that stuff like this continues to happen. Not all bugs are this level of game-killing, a lot of them are relatively harmless things like T-posing enemies. But they're still bugs, and they need to be addressed.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

loving ouch:
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1065310925136191488
"We're not reviewing Fallout 76 because it's so bad that we don't even want to play it anymore." Well that's a review in and of itself, I guess.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 22, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Tei posted:

Why would somebody do this? This is like stealing into a war museum to use the weapons there? the quake netcode have historical interest and probably have inspired many games netcode. It also may also have inspired much better netcodes (that started with a completely different approach precisely to limitations of the quake one).
A group of people back in 2014 did exactly that, and it's honestly a perfect allegory for Fallout 76:
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-ukrainian-rebels-new-weapon-is-a-world-war-ii-tank-32a1e23216e1

quote:

Ukraine’s anti-government rebels have been getting help from Russia. Now they may be getting help from Josef Stalin. Or rather, a JS-3 Stalin heavy tank dating back to World War II. The Stalin tank in question is a museum piece in more way than one. It’s actually sitting on a pedestal, apparently as some kind of monument in Ukraine to the Great Patriotic War.

In this Youtube video, released by a group called Anti-Maidan, white smoke billows from the tank’s engine.“Today local MacGyvers from Kostiantynivka, Donetsk People’s Republic have taken [a] World War II-era monument JS-3 heavy tank and brought it back to life,” according to video caption. “Good Soviet engineering is still able to serve today, and will serve in fight against [the] Kiev junta.”

Unfortunately for the Donetsk People’s Republic armored corps and its talented mechanics, the tank doesn’t seem to do much. In the video, it remains solidly on its pedestal as it belches white smoke, raising the question of whether the rebels plan to resort to chemical warfare by asphyxiating their enemies with carbon monoxide.

Even if the tank were able to move—and move under its own power—there’s the small matter of finding ammunition for its 70-year-old cannon.
You can force ancient, broken poo poo back to life, but it'll still be useless and pretty drat broken.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Seriously though I knew this game was gonna be buggy and kinda broken, but holy gently caress I had no idea it would be this bad, and that Bethesda's incompetence would extend to other stuff. In less than one week we've had Bethesda scamming people with nylon bags after they sent their youtube shills real canvas ones, $100 Nuka Cola rum bottles made of cheap plastic, and of course there's that gigantic loving data breach.

I just wanted to laugh at a buggy game and hope that eventually people could have fun with it. This is so much more entertaining than I could have possibly expected.

Also loving lol that people have already hit the endgame content and that it's not even a spoiler to say what it is (launching a nuke). Yeah, nice long-term game planning there Bethesda.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Some were hoping they'd patch a fix early to the bug they introduced in a patch

https://twitter.com/fallout/status/1071154886547529728?s=21

Obligatory: lmao

Rinkles posted:

just hours left to pick up this limited time only $7 edible hat

These two posts are like everything that's wrong with Fallout 76 in a nutshell.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Lol, I recognize someone in the responses:
https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/1072477658053861376

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/1072478817489481728

Spacedad has given up on Fallout 76 too.:allears:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

If Fallout 76 kills the Fallout franchise, then the next Dark Souls game will be guaranteed to sell better than the (non-existent) Fallout 5.:v:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Less jokingly though, all this crap with Fallout 76 is guaranteed to have a knock-on effect on sales of future Bethesda titles, especially Starfield and the Elder Scrolls 6. There are now a whole bunch of people who looking at those two games with a much more critical eye, and if those games really are made with the Gamebryo/Skyrim/Morrowind/whatever the gently caress you call it engine again, then that's going to impact both pre-release and overall sales as soon as the first video/articles about it are released.

I really don't think Bethesda has any idea just how much goodwill they've pissed away over the last 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I remember anything from business class it's that any item being sold must sell for a minimum length of time at base price before it can be discounted and advertised as such.
Given that Bethesda has already done the textbook definition of Bait-and-Switch, this does not surprise me in the least.