Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

AggressivelyStupid posted:

First

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wow. Tough crowd.

Contract the Raptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
owns

owns

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

keep GETTIN them CHEQUES

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

fucks sake

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

SamuraiFoochs posted:

James Johnson has legitimately been in sanctioned fights. He'll gently caress you up.

See, people say this, but I literally can't find any evidence for this other than basketball websites being like YO HE'S 20-0. When every amateur fighter in world has some sort of online presence, I'm uh, skeptical.

I mean he probably knows how to fight for sure but people overdo it a lil I think. I know some contact karate guys are legit, but I can't find a single video of him in a fight.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

never has a man celebrated so little so much

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can we stop talking about the bad sport in this thread, which is supposed to be about a good sport?

https://twitter.com/LacesOutShow/status/960385281919782913

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

morestuff posted:

How is "sports fan eats horseshit to celebrate a title" an actual trend

People are dumb, crowds make them dumber, public outpouring of emotions make you even more stupid. Mob mentality is a hell of a drug. And when you've got hundreds of thousands of people out in the streets celebrating, it only take one dude dumb and hosed up enough to eat horse poo poo and bam, you've got 10000 retweets.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spacebump posted:

I don't recall anyone eating horse poop while I was in downtown NOLA for the Saints' SB win or in Dallas for the Mavs NBA title. Don't forget Philly is a city where a fan once forced himself to vomit on a child for repping another team. Do all cities have some terrible fans? Probably. However, Philly always seems to have the most bad fan stories. They are kind of like LSU fans from the 80s and 90s with less self respect or morals.

I was in Vancouver for Game 5 of the Canucks/Bruins series and went around to party in the streets after. It was a mob scene, but a pretty jovial one. 5 days later they lose game 7 and the same mob scene starts flipping cars and burning poo poo. No word on if they were eating any poo poo off the street. Philly's gonna Philly and they've got an exceptional talent and reputation for dumb poo poo, but there's basically no given event that could happen in a city full of drunk people overflowing through the streets that would actually surprise me and that goes for any city in the world. Someone's gonna do something insanely dumb, and 100 people around them are gonna cheer em on.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

Here's some random ESPN guy I've never heard of before with a rumor for ya

https://twitter.com/kellyikonba/status/960598612416884737

get pumped guys

Wow. Rockets looking to trade the guy who's been involved in every hypothetical Rockets trade for two years? Amazing. This man's got the scoops.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Guys. I don't know if your aware. But the Raptors did some destructive poo poo to the Celtics tonight. I ain't over it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Haha, cool

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

Here's a question I'd love to see answered:

Which NBA athletes pay more in taxes than the owners they play for?

Anybody with a max contract I'd guess. Athletes are unique in that they make money through absurdly high declared salaries and endorsement deals, so they can't hide their money as much. Billionaire CEOs have probably have lower salaries and make their money through assets that are way easier to wrangle taxes on.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Kanter....pwns?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Carlosologist posted:

IT for Kyrie is a really bad trade in hindsight, it all depends on the Nets pick converting into something really good for the Cavs to even be a wash

The first time I read the trade I thought Cleveland fleeced Boston. Then it turns out Boston is the Spurs east in that they make they make their role players look so good they get overvalued, and I didn't expect Isaiah to be this broken. Everything's simpler in retrospect.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Can he play defense

Not really, but he probably looks like Bruce Bowen next to IT and Calderon.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Seeing that the salaries actually match for that blew my mind. I totally forgot how little Thomas was getting payed. I mean, it matches his production this year, but drat.

e: in fact, Lakers gave up 4 mill more salary. Forgot Clarkson got a 12 mil a year extension.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

As someone who is mainly a hockey guy, what does a protected v unprotected pick mean?

Pick protections are set usually for a number of years after the pick. So let's say you want to trade away a first round pick, but you really want it to stay with you if you win the draft lottery and it falls in the 1-3 range (lottery protections are very common). Then you can make a deal where you say that the pick only is given to the other team this year if it falls below the 3rd draft pick, otherwise it gets postdated to next year. Where it may or may not have similar protections depending on how the deal was worked out.

This is as opposed to unprotected picks, which are exactly what they sound like, you get what you get.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

the bruno era is over.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dumb question -- What's the difference between a player being 'released' and being 'bought out'?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rick posted:

Bought out meant they came to terms mutually ending the contract.

Released usually means the player was waived, although some contracts have ways to be terminated somehow without hitting waivers, but this is rare.

Tae posted:

Released is just being cut from the team with all the guaranteed money. Buy-out assumes the player gave some of the money back.

thanks yo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Is Denver getting another PG then? Who's backing up Murray? I heard rumours they were interested in Collison but guys of that tier don't seem to get moved much when they're injured.

e: oh i guess i should have waited 10 seconds.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Whoooa. Who's their PG now?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

morestuff posted:

Wasn't Payton sort of good now

Pretty meh. Not terrible, but not a lot of upside for what you're hoping for from a young guard. Pheonix's guard rotation was loving dire though so he's an upgrade for them.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Crazy Ted posted:

But one would think that a passable NBA starting PG could fetch more than a second-round draft pick.

I mean, he's passable on a bad team, that's about it. He's still on a rookie deal so there's not a lot you can do with salary matching. First rounds are like gold these days, and I don't know what players would be viable for Orlando to actually get back from Pheonix.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Interested to see who Masai has in mind for the buyout deal, maybe Evans or Ilyasova?

Both would be nice, although I have an irrational attachment to the current bench's chemistry. Raptors don't have any obviously dogshit players off the bench of VanVleet/Wright/Miles/Siakam/Poetl so any new acquisition would be taking something away from those guys. And in my head I know it's an upgrade, but in my heart I worry a lil. Maybe Ilyasova over Siakam so we'd have a chucky PF that could actually hit his three's, but I'd still miss the hustle.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 8, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I can see holding out for a better deal if you're really dedicated to it/committed to not giving the guy away for less than you want, but sitting a guy for over a week because you're that sure you're going to move him and then doing nothing is bush league as gently caress.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have the same birthday as Dirk. I came up with this idea five years ago and I've been waiting on it ever since, but we're almost there. I'm gonna have a Dirk Nowitzki turns 40 birthday party. This is the most excited I've been for a birthday since I turned 18.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd be fine with him hanging on the end of the bench for legacy points/veteran presence but I literally don't see him as an upgrade in any way over any of our current rotations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

I'm rooting for Russell but not being able to break past 20mins on the Nets in his third year isn't looking too good. Maybe he really doesn't have LEADERSHIP mentality

He was legitimately looking pretty good before he blew up his knee. Since then......poo poo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean he is two years off a 50-40-90 season. Meyers is like the small usage advanced stat king and probably the best reminder in the world that every number needs some context around it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rick posted:

You should be made to look at the Thunder roster during that post season, and the advanced statistics, and have to then acknowledge that Derek Fisher was actually their second best player during that postseason, which, he was.

Are you trolling or is this some residual Lakers koolaid

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Can the Raptors actually hold onto the one seed for longer than 24 hours? Tune in next week. Our schedule is soft till we play Houston in early March though so I like the chances.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like that the Raptors are blowing people out this year. Never felt like they've done it much in the years past. Instead of just getting wins, the team is crushing people. It's nice.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

haha and they wound up winning by 2

Played like poo poo in the fourth and almost threw it away. It was an ugly game. Shout out to the dumb highlights like this that make it worth it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

G-Hawk posted:

i have come to share the shot chart of the houston rockets versus minnesota timberwolves in the 4th quarter of tonight's basketball game

Morey.......

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be. But I thought it was gonna be real fuckin bad, so that ain't exactly high praise.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

ChickenMedium posted:

I don't get it. A scripted comedy throws away the central comedy conceit of that ad campaign in exchange for the dubious comedy stylings of Reggie Miller.

It was always scripted and staged, sssshhhh.

Anyways basically it looks normal bad, not Kazaam bad. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I literally just came to this thread to ask the N/V hivemind where "wrong is lie" came from and here you are postin' it. Anyone wanna refresh this dumb old brain?

https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/746091178135805953

One dad and his quest to let people know what he thinks of Dragan Bender.

E:gently caress

• Locked thread