Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Getting Monroe for free is great for the Pelicans. He can replicate the passing of cousins, rebound a little, and score in the post a little. Mirotic lets them do more. I like that they're not surrendering the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Did they actually get him? I know the Celtics are really looking at him, too.

I was premature because I read it happened on hoopshype
https://www.yahoo.com/news/reports-buyout-greg-monroe-leaning-235549841.html Apparently he's only "strongly leaning" toward New Orleans

WhyteRyce posted:

The Twin Towers line-up worked in spite of the era of small-ball because Cousins and Davis are some of the best basketball players on the planet. Monroe is significantly less so

Monroe + Drummond + Jennings destroyed the NBA for two weeks before jennings achilles tear

Monroe is one of the best big passers in the NBA and great at boxing out or rebounding. Just because his last two coaches have had a personal vendetta against him doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's not a guard in a center's body like Cousins, but he's a solid starting center, and will save some wear and tear on Davis.

Davis at 5 and Mirotic at 4 should be interesting too

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That nerd who got in Russell's face probably paid 45 dollars for his courtside seat on seatgeek.com promo code SAGOON

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

It totally did though
Him hitting 3's at that clip meant teams had to actually respect him at the 3 point line. 33% was him shooting well enough allowed him and the team to have more space to operate.

If ESPN wasn't a bunch of cheapskates we could still get the gravity stat, all you need is to be thought of as a shooter and it doesn't matter what your % is. Obviously this only has a half life of a certain length. But players who develop 3's can make them at like 39% for a season and generate no gravity because nobody thinks of them as a shooter. Perception affects reality . Ball

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Even if this is artisinally machined titanium that unscrews into segments for storage there's no way it should cost 25,000. Red Panda is scamming the Warriors

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Duggler posted:

That 25k is covered by like 6 people sitting in the front row I am sure they will manage

I'm not worried about the warriors, I'm just saying, that price is suspect. Either red panda is getting ripped off by a botique bike shop/machinist or she's overstating the cost of this one wheeled vehicle!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Why do I feel like the Pelicans keep releasing and rehiring the same players over and over again

Is that based in reality or am I losing my mind

Yeah they've done it a lot, because they lose half their roster to injuries each year, so they sign the same fringe guys, probably for continuity's sake

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Is the New Orleans floor slippery or are their trainers bad or is it just the worst luck in the world? This is a question to rival the tootsie pop

http://instreetclothes.com/category/nba/

http://instreetclothes.com/2017/04/18/reviewing-injury-totals-2016-17-nba-regular-season/

Theyre near the top in the last few yars

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Terry Rozier has really responded to starting for Kyrie the last couple games. Triple double in the first and 31 points in the second on 11/18 and 6/8 from deep.

It's funny how we (I) say we should wait 3 years to judge whether someone is an NBA player but if they're mentioned a lot in year one and two without success they just become another guy. Maybe Rozier is good, I don't know

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Anthony Davis is now the all-time leading Pelicans scorer, passing David West.

So they count from the first season in New Orleans? Do they count the Oklahoma season? The Hornets keep the carolina stats? Confused I am confused

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

He's Better than embiid and I love embiid more then anything

You're watching too many games and confusing basketball iq and improbable skill plays for demonstrable production, it's a fair confusion to have. Embiid do more for team win. Simmons does more strange impossible basketball rather than having perfect touch and agility around the basket like Joel

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spite posted:

You mean the poor man's Kyrie Irving?

That really helps me understand teens and tweens love of Kyrie. He's like Iverson for their generation, not actually the best player, but he's small and does crazy stuff that they could do if they worked really hard. He's a relatable figure, Kyrie's also become retarded via instagram posts, which is something teens share.

Insight you'll only get in NBA NV

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah but AI was pure early aughts street ball not twenty teen pseudo intellectual

Well tweens of today aren't allowed in the streets period

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Kyrie being iverson for kids these days is depressing, he just likes show tunes and trolling people where's the attitude man
Don't tell me kids these days like to practice. Don't play for Tyronn lue, step over Tyronn lue. That's the only way to live.

Think of how many legitimately 'hard' guys are in the NBA. Majority of the players are lower middle class the sons of a school principal and a sheriff's deputy. If not that, then sons of a former pro.

It's Matt Barnes, the Morris twins, most of the Serbs, some of the Bosnians, our Turk and Georgian, James Johnson, I don't know. There just aren't a lot of ABA tough guys in the league, it's not the "inner city" league that racists rail against, because kids get moved to prep schools in calm parts of the country at age 14 or 15.

The few guys who spent large parts of their lives in rough areas show it on the court, Draymond Green in Saginaw, Kyle Kuzma in Flint until age 17/18

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

matt barnes is the epitome of fake hard. matt barnes grew up in the loving suburbs and spent his nba career playing hold me back and talking poo poo on social media

most of the eastern euro, Australian and African guys are legit tough. and my big Kiwi of course

the Morris twins are hard

James Johnson might be hard but might also be one of those dorks who does a lot of martial arts and won’t shut up about all his belts so hard to say

Dion waiters is legit hard

Matt Barnes moved to the suburbs because his house got raided by corrupt cops because his dad was a local drug dealer, so the dad packed up all their stuff and moved away. His white half meant he was always getting into fights then, his black half meant lots of racial abuse once he went to a white school. http://www.socalhoops.tierranet.com/archive/prepnotes/498/barnes1.htm

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Huh, I had no idea Kyle Kuzma is from Flint.

Applying your theory to Miles Bridges, he went to one of those prep schools instead of staying in Flint and now he doesn’t attack the rim nearly as much as he should.

And that's alright, kids dontt have to get ptsd to learn hard nosed play, and it's fine to get away from poisoned water, but it does seem like guys who aren't ruined by miserable childhoods have an innate toughness that others may not have. moving bridges to 3 is good if he wants an na position but the aau 4 is infinitely more natural to hin

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

It we fetishize lovely living conditions

It's like the old "3 door garage" coach K recruiting thing, if someone grows up with a special amount of luxury they might not have the mental toughness that someone whose parents worked hard every day to keep the lights on and food in the cupboard have.

Australian guys usually have it unless they spent too much time at AIS being lauded as teen gods.

But when I started the conversation I was thinking about guys who would really fight and not just be heldme back fight on the court, hustle and not fear the big names and all.

Plus to correct myself, Kyle Kuzma grew up closer to flint twp which is different than city proper.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Marcus Smart makes Winning Basketball plays but I can see how they'd want an asset for him because he's such a possible liability in the playoffs. Watching him and Anthony Tolliver just make me think "play the right way" Where guys overcome their lack of athleticism and skills to impact the game. It's like that Zach Lowe Spurs article, the mangaement saying they just want "basketball players" ie guys who know what to do to win games.

I don't know what the celtics need other than Gordon Hayward to come back 100% healthy right now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Re-member when Isaiah Thomas left both the Kings and Suns with accusations of being a bad locker room presence? It took one healthy game as a Cav for him to try and turn the team against Kevin Love, who's bad defensively at center because he could never be good at center unless he was covering Steph Curry on the three point line.

Or is he misunderstood and just trying to rally the laggard Cavs like the petite Rudy-esque figure he is?

What's up with all that?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lebron James sabotaged his own chances this year, by double dipping in getting all his klutch sports teammates paid. Kyrie knew he was leaving and didn't want to get stuck with a bad team for the next 6 years. Lebron's going to leave Cleveland for somewhere else and will probably get his teammates to sign with his agency again, because he likes money and power, much like Bill Gates.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

My friend you may be vastly overrating Jusuf Nurkic.

It really seems to come and go for the true giant centers, they can be dominant and then they need 2 years to repair their soft tissue and do it again

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Robin Lopez is apparently available for trade. He'd make the Cavs a lot better on defense immediately and probably would be cheap enough to not hurt their rebuild

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
You should check out Crowds and Power by Elias Canetti

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

will it enhance my understanding of pro wrestling or no

Yea

Lou Williams is good, the Cavs could use him too. They seem to have surrendered to inevitability, which is good for Toronto and Boston fans.

Glowing fish and I were lamenting the loss of the physical court area of the midrange to mathematically efficient basketball. It's a shame only 25 players are allowed to shoot there. Someone ought to address it

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 5, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Bucks really need any kind of center

Anybody will do

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

Robin Lopez for Teletovic and a lottery protected 1st in like 2020 or 2021?

They probably prefer someone more fleet footed. Teletovic is the lowest bball iq euro ever now that Mario Hezonja has sort of learned what basketball is. Mirza Teletovic is Gerald Green if Gerald Green was a tough guy. He just shoots the ball no matter what.

Rick posted:

Stanley Johnson going to the Spurs and learning to shoot would be pretty cool.

I wonder if there's some kind of REASON that Kawhi didn't join EVERY OTHER NBA PLAYER in letting his hair out! The Spurs know stanley just needs some braids or some clippers. drat it! You can only get players to subscribe to hair theory if there's a team dinner every night with obscure wine lists.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Coach GM win now mode, like Patty Mills and Danny Green for Stanley Johnson and a bad contract

I don't like Stan but he is not that stupid. Danny Green cannot shoot anymore and Patty Mills is a less good Ish Smith. They'd have to trade kawhi + something for andre drummond and reggie jackson and johnson for it to come out. Never going to happen.

The next CBA has an amnesty is a guarantee. They gave themselves an amnesty before and they'll do it again.

The Pistons will need it for the last 2 years of blake griffin and will be paying out 70m over 7 years

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rubio and Lebron would pass the loving air out of the ball. They'd play beautiful basketball together. Rubio could guard Curry. IT could be traded to UTAH.

This is not realistic, but all those shooters would wake up smiling if they knew they were getting BronBron and Rubicon passes laces up laces in the shooting pocket pass.

That's a fun fake trade. Rubio is sad in Utah. Rubio needs free flowing stuff where he defeats defenses by passing the ball between chins and chests.

He plays defense like a man, and makes shots when he's the 4th option.

Let's get this done. How do we get this done?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That had to be Richard Jefferson. That's a reference for us old millenials.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

richard jefferson is not a cav

Old habits...

Channing Frye
Dwanye Wade?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MelancholyMark posted:

Not saying he’s worth it, but unless they’re robbing the Cavs blind I dunno what they could possibly give Utah that would make the trade make sense for the Jazz.

I will cry if we get IT or JR

IT is expiring, so it would just be jettisoning one year of Rubio who clearly doesn't fit. Include Jae Crowder who seems hurt/non functional outside of a motion based offense, and Calderon to make it work salary wise

They try again next year or pay IT if he shows improvement

I think the Jazz would like to make the playoffs, so it's just a fantasy trade unless there's a third or fourth team involved

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I dunno that he's sad, he has a weird reputation for wanting to bolt despite desperately wanting to stay with his teams and setting down roots. I think he might even like having more of a green light to shoot, but he's only like 80% as fun to watch and he's still stuck on "the best lottery team in the West" which is a pretty lovely place to be.

Utah would probably get pretty bad without him though.

It's Utah, so can we get a picture of him with a black girlfriend and let nature take its course?

Lockback I feel like we're always failing to parse each other. By sad I mean he's not playing Rubio ball, not that he's an emotional wreck.

The Cavs know how to catch incredible Lebron Passes, and this would let Lebron get off the ball, which he seems to want in the regular season. I say forget IT, he's not going to be anything this season, he might never recover. Embrace fun basketball in Lebron's last season as a Cavalier

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MelancholyMark posted:

I dunno, I wasn’t kidding about Rubio fitting in recently. Hes been more aggressive driving but unlike the beginning of the year he seems to know peoples timings coming off cuts/pnrs and favorite 3 pt spots so instead of driving wildly then making a terrible forced pass out of the paint he’s hitting wide open people or people in stride for easy buckets. Outside of the draft and or Exum not being consistently dead I would be happy going forward with Ricky especially since he won’t command a high salary.

I think you're right about Rubio fitting in to the offense, it's really just a fake trade to get the Cavs to stop imploding without considering the jazz, beyond resuscitating Crowder on his super cheap deal

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That high pitched "YANNNIII" would make me insane. He's probably deaf in that frequency by now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

How is '18 Calderon currently the best point guard on a team with a pg that was "better than AI" last season and a former MVP pg?

Hip injuries basically stop you from doing the stuff that might make you good at basketball as a small man. There's a reason Jonny Flynn was such a spectacular bust. Also you can go back in time to the legendary Christian Okoye who went from world destroyer to nothing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gus has toned it down a lot recently. He sounded downright depressed during the Holiday Bowl.

His son was eaten by a massive feral coyote in Montana. It's really sad and I'm proud he keeps working

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Gus Johnson was stung by a bumble bee in the announcer's booth :(

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

I wonder if the Cavs were doing more than posturing for more compensation when they freaked out over IT's physical in the offseason

They had to know already unless david griffin was the only person in the front office who'd heard about hip injuries, it really was an arrogant move after they harvested a really good asset for a player who could have left for nothing in a year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Just kidding, it was a huge mountain lion nicknamed "Mitch Carter" after it ate two men with those names

https://twitter.com/MRidenourABJ/status/961078724488777728

Who said the Cavs need rubio so that they can play happy basketball on this very day, of today, that's right, me, baby, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This quote's a really good encapsulation of what the problem was during so many seasons for the Raps, even years where they had good W-L records. Teams would start putting the ball in the net every which way, and you could see the enthusiasm just falling away.

The guys I felt bad for were the guys who refused to quit and had to play for 3-4 players on D. It was hosed. If you're a person who really feels strongly about any sports team I wouldn't wish that feeling on anybody, not even the worst fanbases of all. Watching your team as they quit on themselves and each other is the loving worst.

Dwyane Wade's a smart guy.

I remember that well from the dark years when Tayshaun Prince was the best player on the Pistons. He would slump and skulk and the coach would get fired again.

• Locked thread