Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eh, it's pretty intense during the RTD years too when Russell was writing too. I don't mind it too much if only because there's a point at which the only time traveling meddler, after like 1000 years, does become kind of mythic, even if he's just a goofball who stole his time machine and barely knows how to work his eyebrows, let alone the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

RTD started the whole "the Doctor is literally Jesus" thing. IMO that intergalactic mythic poo poo is the worst part of the revival. I like it better when the mythic role gets assigned to a character from the episode in a tiny cute way, like at the end of the recent Picts/Romans story.

Cartmel started the whole "The Doctor is God" thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol Moffat wasn't even close. He never had the entire population of Earth clap their hands if they believe in the Doctor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Lol Moffat wasn't even close. He never had the entire population of Earth clap their hands if they believe in the Doctor

He can also do things like "trap someone inside of literally every mirror for all eternity" and extradimensional paradox monsters are hungry for him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

extradimensional paradox monsters are hungry for him.

Hello there,

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I am not a good man! And I'm not a bad man either. I'm not a hero. I'm definitely not a president, and no, I'm not an officer. You know who I am? I… am… an idiot! With a box and a screwdriver. Passing through. Helping out. Learning."

"I’m just a bloke in a box telling stories. I didn’t come here because I'm ashamed. A bit of shame never hurt anyone. I came… because you're sick and you asked. And because sometimes, on a good day, if I try very hard… I’m not some old Time Lord who ran away. I'm the Doctor."

To me, that sums up the Doctor well enough

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Face The Raven had a good spin on that too "The Doctor is no longer here! You are stuck with me!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"You'll find that it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you."

Capaldi's deliveries in Face the Raven were perfect

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That scene is pretty chilling. I imagine having Twelve enraged at you is the most terrifying thing imaginable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The best part of that scene is it being immediately followed by the Doctor enduring billions of years of torture to protect the person he said that to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn Heaven Sent was so, so, so loving good.

"That's one hell of a bird!" :hellyeah:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

It sounds like an insult in the first place, is what makes that work so well.

"Oh, thanks for reminding us the meeting was supposed to be over five minutes ago, Time Lord."

420 Post "Web of Caves" Erryday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNgIJ38ad0&t=222s

Seriously, I can only hear that in David Williams' voice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay how is the new season of Doctor Who up for pre-order when it not even started airing yet? Are we in a Space Balls situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rirse posted:

Okay how is the new season of Doctor Who up for pre-order when it not even started airing yet? Are we in a Space Balls situation?

Do they give a date?! :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

That scene is pretty chilling. I imagine having Twelve enraged at you is the most terrifying thing imaginable.

*looks over at mccoy* uh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGCZh5A8T4

It’s become increasingly common for Amazon and iTunes to put up season pass pre-orders for shows that haven’t actually premiered yet. They know it’ll air eventually, so why not offer a subscription and scoop up that cash now?

They do the same thing with digital movie pre-orders for movies that haven’t announced a home release date yet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

*looks over at mccoy* uh

UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chokes McGee posted:

*looks over at mccoy* uh

My favourite scary McCoy moment is in the Big Finish episode where Hex comes back (I wanna say Afterlife?).

It's hammy as anything, but it works. Seven really is the doctor you'd least want to gently caress with

Edit - except maybe Ten, because he's an unpredictable histrionic psycho

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 20, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Edit - except maybe Ten, because he's an unpredictable histrionic psycho

Ten is the bloke on the tube who, unbeknownst to you, you’ve been been mildly inconveniencing with your bag and rather than him politely pointing it out, suddenly explodes out loud with a belligerent “if you don’t MOVE YOUR loving BAG”. :stonk:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Ten is the bloke on the tube who, unbeknownst to you, you’ve been been mildly inconveniencing with your bag and rather than him politely pointing it out, suddenly explodes out loud with a belligerent “if you don’t MOVE YOUR loving BAG”. :stonk:

It was the fire in his eyes, that's what I remember. I could almost feel the ice in his veins, the loathing deep within his very being. "I'm known as the Oncoming Storm," he said. "I've seen a million planets die. I've seen civilizations rise, animals make their first steps toward sentience on aliens worlds, birds wheeling in purple skies. And I will remember what you did on this day. You will suffer for your crimes if I have to chase you to the end of the galaxy."

"I beg your pardon?"

"This is the passing side of the escalator. If you're not going to walk, if you're going to just stand there, then move to the right."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I listend to the "Jenny" box set and it was pretty fun. That's honestly all I have to say about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I listend to the "Jenny" box set and it was pretty fun. That's honestly all I have to say about it.

That's all I would expect and hope for, really.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JaneSlavin/status/1010091667142135808

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Can...can they do that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We've got handfuls of adventures featuring Sara Kingdom; Big Finish can do anything

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who is that?

Also, maybe it's the Curator

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Rhyno posted:

Can...can they do that?

Do they have the right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

Who is that?

Also, maybe it's the Curator

Jane Slavin as Tom's new companion, PC Anne Kelso

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

Who is that?

Presuming you're asking about Sara Kingdom, she featured as a brief companion for a single story (though an extremely long story) called The Daleks' Masterplan, most of which no longer exists. It was also notable for the first appearance of Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier) though he was playing a different character.

Her entrance and exit from the show are pretty loving insane and well worth experiencing via reconstructions without being spoiled on them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So

Okay I'm all kinds of confused here. I know who Sara Kingdom is, I doubt there's any Doctor Who fan who likes the classic era that doesn't.

So, is this Jane Slavin going to be playing Sara Kingdom for Big Finish as the Fourth Doctor's new companion?

Or is there some other Sara Kingdom news that I don't know about, and the remarkable thing about this is that Jane Slavin is some big name actress that I don't recognize

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
They updated the Lady Christina cover. No longer looks like she's wearing some weird skin suit that's been peeled back to the neck.

Burkion posted:

So

Okay I'm all kinds of confused here. I know who Sara Kingdom is, I doubt there's any Doctor Who fan who likes the classic era that doesn't.

So, is this Jane Slavin going to be playing Sara Kingdom for Big Finish as the Fourth Doctor's new companion?

Or is there some other Sara Kingdom news that I don't know about, and the remarkable thing about this is that Jane Slavin is some big name actress that I don't recognize

Sara Kingdom is just being used as the most extreme example of Big Finish managing to squeeze extra stories out of characters that really shouldn't be able to do so, based on the show.

A better example for "Tom getting a new companion" really would be someone like Oliver Harper, or even just Evelyne or Hex

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's a local theater that plays strange and frequently obscure horror movies every friday, and my buddies and I like to go because our tastes generally line up with the tastes of the guy who programs them (except for The Baby :barf:)

I usually go in completely blind, so imagine my surprise this week when this guy yee-haws his way into the movie

Lair of the White Worm is amazing and Capaldi is the best part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujjIVoAN2Yc&t=35s

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

So

Oh I was just comparing the fact that's single story companion got multiple other stories released from Big Finish tonthe fact that they're slipping a brand new companion into the 4th doctor's run. The new companion is isn't Sara.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's a local theater that plays strange and frequently obscure horror movies every friday, and my buddies and I like to go because our tastes generally line up with the tastes of the guy who programs them (except for The Baby :barf:)

I usually go in completely blind, so imagine my surprise this week when this guy yee-haws his way into the movie

Lair of the White Worm is amazing and Capaldi is the best part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujjIVoAN2Yc&t=35s

This man is an Oscar winner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like how he has McGann’s hair 8 years before the TV Movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

So

See my above post:

Davros1 posted:

Jane Slavin as Tom's new companion, PC Anne Kelso

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

After The War posted:

420 Post "Web of Caves" Erryday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNgIJ38ad0&t=222s

Seriously, I can only hear that in David Williams' voice.

Why is channel 4 blocking something owned by and shown on the bbc

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has anyone got a first-hand impression of the Season 12 Blu-ray?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just bought the Shada/30 Years in the TARDIS DVD set and I really love how half-assed Tom is about reading from cue cards in the narration links. I'll pick up the animated reconstruction sometime, but I really do enjoy seeing The Curator 20 years early.

I also bought Destiny of the Daleks. I expect it to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Has anyone got a first-hand impression of the Season 12 Blu-ray?

It’s been pushed back to July, so not yet.

• Locked thread