Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
deliverance from the oppression of aaa titles with a classic clunky european rpg that if more attention had been paid to polish would be good but is instead a brilliant awful game would be my guess as to the meaning

though even that might be optimistic

i remember ropekid (i think) saying he wanted to do an rpg in the holy roman empire. maybe this'll prove successful and good enough to prove the idea can work and we'll get something good even if this isn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

KyloWinter posted:

No games really approach how quickly a strike would be.

ahem, you are forgetting the ultra-realistic games of devil may cry and metal gear rising REVENGEANCE

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm gonna open up Steam Achievement Manager and the dev achivement name is going to be elliot rogersy isn't it

The Perfect Gentleman

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
are downloads that bothersome for people? i imagine it's going to vary a lot by location but i always thought bandwidth was pretty cheap. i'm in australia, and while our internet is famously crappy (though i think many people living here who blithely complain about how our internet is worse than estonia's miss the fact our geography makes it loving hard and estonia has iirc become a bit of an it hub), any patch smaller than 6 or 7 gigs isn't going to do more than mildly irritate me

hard drive space on solid state drives i also think is at a bit of a premium - a lot of games n ow are 50 gigs+ and ssd prices remain pretty expensive (though coming down; iirc technological development pace on storage is better than most other types of progress and cost/mb halves yearly)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rock Puncher posted:

lmao if you buy games when you can just watch someone else play them on twitch

this but also about sex

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

We literally had a guy explain this 3 pages ago but I guess the historical facts don't match up w your feelings

What is it about this game that brings out the chuds

tbh i didn't find what he said too convincing. it was an argument from some vague authority (he didn't claim any particular credentials) without citations. while i'd very much doubt a pure white depiction of major cities to be accurate i don't find it an incredible claim that the rural areas of 1403 bohemia would be overwhelmingly white, and the idea it was a 'melting pot' seems dubious. nor does the assertion people didn't tihnk of race the same way back then really meaningful - okay, that means other racial groups might not have been discussed in modern terms, but it doesn't mean there major non-european groups there.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 12, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'actual person with historical knowledge'...? i'm sceptical without something a little more authoritative; there were huge barriers to population mobility back then, and even today the czech republic is rather homogeneously white. i wouldn't be surprised if the trading hubs were a little more diverse but outside of that i would think visible ethnic minorities would be few and far between.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
'sup janky european rpgs. i expected this exactly but hoped for more

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know Bohemia weathered the invasion from the Golden Horde pretty well 100 hundred years before the game but didn't that have some lasting effect on the region?

Iirc the Golden Horde was there for about two - one or two years - before upping stakes and loving off. So they probably did some damage but little permanent change to institutions or demographics

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shadowlz posted:

I'm watching a twitch stream and just watched the best quest ever. It was like The Hangover: Medieval Edition. Ive been sitting here bashing the game and laughing at all the stupid bugs but that quest was too much.

e: I'm like 50% convinced this game is just a big satirical joke. It's hilarious.

https://clips.twitch.tv/OriginalBusyTriangleOSsloth

that's how people walked in the late middle ages

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

I killed a bunch of deer in the woods and it counted as stolen somehow, but if you cook it, it suddenly becomes not stolen and you can get a ton of coin for it.

Poaching, maybe?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
a few hours in. doesn't seem too bad. performance is alright but not great; gtx 1080 with an i7700k gives me 60 - 80fps on high. edit: oh and i haven't noticed borderless/fullscreen making much of a difference.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

WMain00 posted:

So the guards are like Oblivions also then.

that's more like a shinobi guard

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

God, I cannot for the life of me get the hang of this lockpick system. If I try with M+KB, the rotation goes way too fast and the inability to hold it in place prevent me from adjusting my angle. If I try it on controller it's just awkward in general due to having to rotate both analogs, but at least you can pause the rotation partway through.

I wish the 'training' for lockpicking just gave you infinite lockpicks just so I can actually practice this weird loving system. I don't want to skip it, I do want to get better at it, but lockpicks are in WAY too short a supply to practice easily. I think I'm just gonna saviour schnapps before the 'training' and keep trying it until I get the hang of it.

there's a mod up already to just insta-pick any lock you have high enough skill for

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DrNutt posted:

*game dev jizzes pants over how historically accurate and ultra-realistic his game is*

*Lightly armored bandit takes an arrow to the chest and like twenty cuts from a sword, keeps on truckin'.*

Tbh I think the historical accuracy stuff has to be seen relative to other games. In absolute terms it's clearly not realistic but it makes a fuckton more effort than most RPGs.

Which doesn't mean I'm dropping the 'guards did fly kicks from 20m away in 1403 Bohemia' jokes

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Regular Dude posted:

For anyone else who is having trouble with this, there is another way out of the castle. If you jump off the bridge and make a run for it, you can make it back to your village. Make sure to jump onto the logs leaning up against the bridge or else you'll damage you feet/legs.

Or use your horse

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This bearded dude getting stuck into the Friar at the slightest provocation owns

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The biggest thing with armor is that once you get enough of it you don't take damage unless you lose all your stamina. It becomes something like a Halo-style overshield, allowing you to tank a ridiculous number of hits as long as you keep moving enough to regenerate your stamina in between. In a certain sense you are fencing with your opponents rather than up close hand-to-hand. It basically trivializes one-on-one fights.

The only thing that really screws you is 1v3+ fights and backing into stuff. Arrows can mess you up pretty good, in the sense that they can knock you way off balance when you aren't expecting it. And once you lose your stamina it's easy to die *fast*

Now that I can tank a few hits I have subscribed to the Church of Melee Range Archery. Block this you poo poo

The armour thing is refreshing. Everything I've read about plate armour, particularly the very advanced suits of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, is that it really was nigh on impenetrable in all but a small number of places which could be attached with thrusting weapons. Fatigue would obviously make those places much more vulnerable. I remember reading an account of a fifteenth century duel in Germany where the fight went on for hours, and only ended when the two closed to grapple and one was able to stab the other with a dagger while wrestling. In so many games armour is more or less just decoration.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

It seems like a bunch of QoL stuff in this game is unlocked by the main plot (horses, dice games); is there a clear "ok, you have everything and you can gently caress around in the open world now" point or does that trend continue throughout the game?

Wondering this myself. Currently investigating the murders out at the stud farm. Hasn't felt like there's been any point since I was at the miller's where there isn't some urgency.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
this game is great. what is generally fantastic is the level of immersion - it doesn't feel like you're in a nominally-open-world theme park where points of interest are cheek by jowl, and the world is grounded (for obvious reasons) so that it feels convincing. i just did a trivial activity involving killing bandits and it actually seemed a reasonable simulation of what that kind of thing might have involved at one point, subject to video game stuff like one man killing five. when i first started playing it felt like it was towards the upper end of the range of outcomes i expected to be possible - fun for a while but too flawed to play for more than 20 - 30 hours at most. but as i played more, instead of novelty wearing off, my enjoyment actually increased. there's still some jank and some flaws but they're minor enough to never be more than very minor irritations, de minimis debits against the very serious credits of the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Sir Hans appears to have matured from 16 year old petulant prick to 19 year old university drinking buddy very quickly. I'm okay with that

Also I read if you don't save Theresa she manages to kill all three of those dudes in addition to saving you from Runt. Cool

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sum posted:

I'm growing to love the feature in this game where you have to hack a totally unarmored guy like 10 times in a sword before he surrenders. Extremely realistic

it's extremely realistic t hat a bitch like you wouldn't be able to hurt anyone :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
when i lockpick the vagina of the pig woman in the playing with the devil quest nothing happens. is there something else i'm meant to do? do i have to... put things from my inventory in there? :staredog:

edit: never mind, i'm using the lockpicking mod, which isn't comaptible with this quest

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 17, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i hope there's more to the theresa romance than when you (first?) have sex. she's so mixed up with henry's origins and how he got on the hunt for runt that it would be disappointing for that to be the end. she doesn't even acknowledge it when you talk to her. maybe henry is hung like an ant and this is the awkwardness that comes from her now wanting nothing to do with him because of how embarrassing it is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
man, bows are loving strong. you can take down the most heavily armoured enemies very quickly if you can maintain any kind of distance. it's the only reason i am able to clear out the later raider camps.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress i think i bugged out one of the kill quests. i've gone to the place one's meant to be and it's empty. slightly to the north is a camp which i cleared out because it was close to the road and some cumans ambushed me when i stopped while travelling along it. goddamn

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
going to echo frustration there. only thing i can usually figure out is when something ahrd lands, because the lifebar on the bottom left moves. against the tougher enemies that parry or riposte everything you do i pull out my bow and go for point blank range headshots. irritating because i feel like the melee system actually does have a lot to it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The weird thing is that the Theresa romance is (so far at least) actually well written moment to moment, it's just wham bam thank you ma'am over

yeah this is what i thought too. the romance itself seemed fairly convincing, much as these video game romances ever are, and theresa is not a weak character. i was hoping she'd be built into later parts of the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

AlternateAccount posted:

So what's the best deal on this? Even GMG doesn't seem to have any kind of proper discounts.

grey market cd key stuff is the only way to get any kind of noticable discount, it seems :(

so what's the fastest mount? i bought the tier 5 one from the stables where the massacre happened. he's pretty good, but i suspect there's a better one out there

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
edit: never mind, mod has caused problems for some people on nexus and i don't want to give people a virus

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 18, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hey, what's the consensus pick for Good Horse from Neuhof -- Bucephalus, the Arabian, or some other?

stats on horses taken from here:

http://twinfinite.net/2018/02/kingdom-come-deliverance-best-horse-how/

Main Story Horse
Pebbles – 49 speed, 172 capacity, 8 courage, 210 stamina

Uzhitz Best Horse
Rocinante – 31 speed, 148 capacity, 16 courage, 159 stamina

Hatatitla – 37 speed, 228 capacity, 12 courage, 250 stamina

Sleipnir – 39 speed, 260 capacity, 18 courage, 250 stamina

Pegasus – 42 speed, 180 capacity, 15 courage, 310 stamina

Kanthaka – 40 speed, 196 capacity, 20 courage, 410 stamina

Neuhof Best Horse
Al-Buraq – 39 speed, 252 capacity, 15 courage, 410 stamina

Tulpar – 39 speed, 252 capacity, 11 courage, 230 stamina

Chollima – 37 speed, 188 capacity, 15 courage, 510 stamina

Trojan – 34 speed, 292 capacity, 7 courage, 230 stamina

Bucephalus – 36 speed, 276 capacity, 19 courage, 270 stamina

Epona – 37 speed, 212 capacity, 5 courage, 430 stamina

Boxer – 33 speed, 212 capacity, 11 courage, 250 stamina

Schemig – 35 speed, 252 capacity, 19 courage, 210 stamina

Bayard – 35 speed, 260 capacity, 11 courage, 350 stamina

it seems like whether to take pegasus, kanthaka or al-buraq is a matter of preference. surprised that good old pebbles is so fast, pity about the stamina.

while on the subject of horses i'm doing a quest now about one that made me chuckle. you have to get a stallion for a noblewoman that's far too irascible for its own good, and no one can deal with him except one groom. when you ask him how he does it he sheepishly explains he sings to the horse. 'i... know how it looks'. little writing touches like that show the writer understood better than the writers of the wooden puppets you get in bioware and bethesda games.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
henry, i did not want you to bang sir divish's wife when (1) he has been so nice to you and seems like an all-round competent good guy and (2) theresa is your girlfriend :mad:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Romes128 posted:

Come back with ur boys.

using a posse of dickheads who throw poo poo on a guy's house for disagreeing with them politically to beat up a drunk feels dishonourable. much better if i beat him up myself. i've never had a problem with winning any of the fistfights in the game though so i'm probably not understanding the need

re ssd: there are conversation load times without one?!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
in the house of god quest, I can't find the scaffolder. i talk to zmola who says the guy admitted to a crime and vanished while the foreman says come back at night. i go back at night but there's nothing to be done. is this a bug?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

nessin posted:

This game is one of the most frustrating I've ever seen when it comes to how people talk about it versus how it actually plays, or at least appears to play. I haven't played it myself yet because I was waiting to make the decision after it had been out for a few days, but the disconnect between what it is and what people say it is ridiculous.

For example, most reviewers or comments I've seen say you have to practice and learn how to use your weapons and that's somehow unique to this game. For one, you don't actually do that, what you do is find someone at a certain point to unlock a skill. You don't start with all the combat functions unlocked and have to actual practice, you just have to find the glorified tutorial unlock. And the act of using your skills to earn experience or grow in proficiency is common to the genre for decades, how it works in Kingdom Come is no different than say Skyrim. Yes, the actual combat system is somewhat different but not so much on the progression side.

It is also, apparently, notable that you are a nobody in the game. A nobody who the game still revolves around while rapidly becoming a warrior savant and a significant influence on the larger events going on around the game. So apparently it's actually meaningful whether you have a label attached to you at the start of the game even if the lack of a label has no practical meaning versus other games where you do have one. Which isn't unique or difference, it's self-delusion.

None of that is a negative but it's very frustrating to constantly see people talk about how it's different or unique and it really doesn't appear to be.

while it is different from other games of its type, revolving much more around the challenges faced by medieval people and the social, political and economic structures of that time (i'm not saying it's 100% realistic in that respect, but it's certainly a lot moreso than any other game that springs to mind), i agree that there's a big gap between media coverage of it and how the game actually is. reviews seem more an exercise in confirmation bias (did i think it would be pure european jank and awful and it would be extremely misogynistic and regressive? well look here there's enough broken and you can sleep with multiple women so my view is confirmed and it's an awful thing made by a neonazi! is it totally different because of its focus on realism? definitely and it's great and totally different!) than anything else

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I'll confess, when I opened up the in game historical encyclopedia and saw there was an entry on "Jews" I instantly thought "oh nooooo"

[reads 'responsible for September 11'] NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

Ah yes, September 11, 1403

the codex isn't meant to be from the internal point of view of the game. there are some comments on the game itself in the codex, and some of the factual stuff in the game clearly conflicts with the codex - like one guy who the codex says died in 1402, which isn't a mistake.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Halman posted:

Where do I go to help my idiot friends get a job?

talk to theresa.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Empress Brosephine posted:

I read the lockpick mod doesn’t work. On the executioners chest for the Good Thief rip me :( lockpicking is so bad with a controller.

it does. there are a couple of quests that don't like it but it's easy enough to move out of the folder for the duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
landing headshot kills in this game is so satisfying. watching an enemy suddenly go stiff and crumple given how durable many of them are due to a perfectly landed blow is great.