Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not familiar with Black Panther- even less so than most comic book characters like, I had no loving idea who Peter Quill was before GotG- so how did Wakanda get so futuristic? I get that they had lots of Vibrainium but how'd they make the leap from spears to hoverships exactly? Did the fruit back then make people much smarter or was it aliens interacting as well? If the answer is just that Vibrainium is magic and you really start to notice when you've got more than enough of the stuff to smooth over the Grand Canyon and build a mountain on top of it that'd be fine with me.
Wakanda is just another one of those fabulous hidden cities that are common in adventure fiction. Opar, Atlantis, El Dorado, Gorilla City, Attilan, Titanos, etc. They never made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

McCloud posted:

Well sure, I get that, but the thing is T'challa has the power to do more than just teaching the victim how to stand up for hirself. And even if we accept that that this is the best solution at hand, he can still confront the abuser and call him out for being a piece of poo poo, you know? That is to say, I want the movie to more strongly condemn the systemic racism, instead of merely paying lip service to that effect.
why is wakanda responsible for ending oppression?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Superman allows oppression to continue even though he could do a lot to end it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Not being colonized by Europeans.

e: In literal plot terms, the vibranium is very important, but it's really just representative of all the natural resources stolen from Africa when it was being colonized (and after that).

Kurzon posted:

Wakanda is just another one of those fabulous hidden cities that are common in adventure fiction. Opar, Atlantis, El Dorado, Gorilla City, Attilan, Titanos, etc. They never made sense.

Mm, since this is the thread about a comic book movie, I was really hoping someone was familiar with the actual comic books and could explain that in detail.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Farg posted:

Superman hardly ever tackles real-world issues like gay-bashing, domestic abuse, human trafficking, dictatorships, etc., and when he does it's usually in a half-hearted way. He spends most of his time fighting space wizards or whatever. But that's for normal for comic books. Even for Black Panther the whole oppression-of-the-blacks thing is more of a marginal issue compared to these two princes fighting over a throne.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

what i'm trying to say is all lives matter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

temple posted:

Why is anyone responsible for ending oppression? Why should the rich care about the poor? Why should the healthy care about the sick?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

RareAcumen posted:

Mm, since this is the thread about a comic book movie, I was really hoping someone was familiar with the actual comic books and could explain that in detail.

It's basically what's in the movie - vibranium is magic, and they hid from everybody so their development wasn't interrupted. The opening narration to the movie is basically exactly like the comic book origin of Wakanda.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not familiar with Black Panther- even less so than most comic book characters like, I had no loving idea who Peter Quill was before GotG- so how did Wakanda get so futuristic? I get that they had lots of Vibrainium but how'd they make the leap from spears to hoverships exactly? Did the fruit back then make people much smarter or was it aliens interacting as well? If the answer is just that Vibrainium is magic and you really start to notice when you've got more than enough of the stuff to smooth over the Grand Canyon and build a mountain on top of it that'd be fine with me.

They went from spears to hoverships in like 100,000 years. it wasn't just a thing that showed up now and changed people from poor africans to future tech, it's a what if on what a rich African country that had always been rich would look like, particularly one that had so many resources it had resources that don't even exist in the real world. Northern africa has had it's chance and made some of the most advanced civilizations in history but sub Saharan africa has basically been war and natural disaster and colonialism forever so it's just like "well what if secretly part of it wasn't, what would they be?" with them also having magic rocks to make it even more fantastical.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

temple posted:

The movie doesn't have to have Wakanda solve racism, but I expect it to do a bit more than to make a passing remark about the cause of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If that much vibranium fell out of the sky, wouldn't the meteor have been large enough to cause an extinction level event

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad Wakanda promotes bootstrapping.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

McCloud posted:

The movie doesn't have to have Wakanda solve racism, but I expect it to do a bit more than to make a passing remark about the cause of it.

condemning racism has no material benefit. its purely idpol to make the elite feel good. building a center benefits someone's life at least and puts t'challa's skin in the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve Yun posted:

If that much vibranium fell out of the sky, wouldn't the meteor have been large enough to cause an extinction level event

maybe thats what killed the dinosaurs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

wouldn't spider man irradiate everyone around him?

temple fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 28, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I wonder how long before that poster gets to :biotruths:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

temple posted:

lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farg posted:

BvS and MoS were, in no particular order, critical against the military, Silicon Valley billionaires, George Bush's foreign policy, police brutality against lower class, capitalism, the super hero fantasy itself and talking head media.

temple posted:

condemning racism has no material benefit. its purely idpol to make the elite feel good. building a center benefits someone's life at least and puts t'challa's skin in the game.

We'll agree to disagree on that then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They went from spears to hoverships in like 100,000 years. it wasn't just a thing that showed up now and changed people from poor africans to future tech, it's a what if on what a rich African country that had always been rich would look like, particularly one that had so many resources it had resources that don't even exist in the real world. Northern africa has had it's chance and made some of the most advanced civilizations in history but sub Saharan africa has basically been war and natural disaster and colonialism forever so it's just like "well what if secretly part of it wasn't, what would they be?" with them also having magic rocks to make it even more fantastical.

Yes, I know it took millennia to make those advancements but I'm just not clear on how they made them regardless, because it's bizarre and I'm not at all familiar with the character or his backstory beyond that small trivia about 'add more white people' and then next issue BP is beating up the KKK. It's like trying to draw the line from giving Romans circuit boards and they'll have teleportation by 1200.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, I know it took millennia to make those advancements but I'm just not clear on how they made them regardless, because it's bizarre and I'm not at all familiar with the character or his backstory beyond that small trivia about 'add more white people' and then next issue BP is beating up the KKK. It's like trying to draw the line from giving Romans circuit boards and they'll have teleportation by 1200.

no its not. but I get it africans are dumb

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RareAcumen posted:

how did tony stark make a flying suit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man how do you get from horses in 1880 to space flight in 1961

Just seems unrealistic imo

How'd does someone from abacuses to computers capable of solving complex Algorithms in seconds in less than 100 years.

Like mainframe computers took literal seconds to solve addition and multiplication problems. In 1944. And took up an entire room

Less than 100 years later I am loving taking a poo poo replying to a intentionally obtuse poster on a device infinitely more powerful than that that while streaming the Album inspired by black panther.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

temple posted:

wouldn't spider man irradiate everyone around him?

Why would being bit by a genetically-engineered spider cause Spider-Man to irradiate people? Think before you post.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why would being bit by a genetically-engineered spider cause Spider-Man to irradiate people? Think before you post.

radioactive spider, stop jesting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Listen bud, he's got radioactive blood.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Shuri gave Ross the job of shooting down the aircraft carrying weapons out of Wakanda because it both kept him out of the way and made it possible for her to go out to the actual fight with Nakia & T'challa.

I just realized another angle to this- Shuri gave Ross the job that involved no-poo poo killing Wakandans without looking them in the eye, as opposed to honorbound melee combat where Wakandans are known for pulling punches (I doubt more than 20 people die in the ground battle).

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 1, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Crank Lucas is a fool.
https://youtu.be/IyOpFVtV2gM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

I just realized another angle to this- Shuri gave Ross the job that involved no-poo poo killing Wakandans without looking them in the eye, as opposed to honorbound melee combat where Wakandans are known for pulling punches (I doubt more than 20 people die in the ground battle).

She gets the American to wage war like an American while the Wakandans fight in their own way.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Maybe coogler is saying with the ending of BP that the only way black men in America irl can get ahead is by latching on to wealthy benefactors with an agenda. Its very cynical. I guess thats what coogler did by taking disney's money.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Well both Black Panthers were on drugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

got any sevens posted:

Maybe coogler is saying with the ending of BP that the only way black men in America irl can get ahead is by latching on to wealthy benefactors with an agenda. Its very cynical. I guess thats what coogler did by taking disney's money.

Is he wrong?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Steve Yun posted:

Vibranium absorbs impacts so I think it would just plop.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
For me, the most remarkable thing about this film is not that they have an all-black cast but that they all speak with African accents. I think that if this movie had been made in the 1990s, they would have reworked T'Challa's backstory to make him an American guy from LA or New York who discovers he's a long-lost Wakandan prince. That way, the hero of the movie would speak in an African-American accent and spout ghetto slang to make him more "relatable". And his costume would be rubber.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Darth Brooks posted:

Maybe the reason that the raw vibranium glows blue and is so unstable is that it is still holding in all that absorbed energy.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

How do you interact with something that you can't impart force on?

How does The Flash pick up his suit if it's frictionless?

Why is Kryptionian clothing indestructible? How do they sell people a second shirt?

These are the important questions of our generation.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Unmature posted:

Ross being CIA is ok until he explains how American soldiers infiltrate and destroy other nations and everyone is just cool with that and moves on

Bruh that's just common loving knowledge

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

No, which is why the movie is depressingly cynical. The entrenched interests of global capitalism will quash any rebellion.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
You guys should pick apart the next Spongebob movie for political undertones. That'd be awesome.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Spongebob has about as much clout, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

The whole magic power of vibranium is that it absorbs impact and stores the majority of it to strengthen it's bonds. It's actually totally internally consistent that a mountain of vibranium crashing into something wouldn't be a very big crash. (but would leave the mountain glowing with energy)

• Locked thread