Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just saw the movie and the soundtrack was absolutely sick, I don’t often notice it in movies but Killmonger’s American hiphop musical motif playing most of the time he was onscreen was excellent and contrasted really nicely with the African drums for a lot of the other stuff in Wakanda.

And then the final train scene where the musical themes were duelling :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Focusing on tech education as though that's the sole way Wakanda plans to improve the world seems like a very surface level reading to me.

The key point of the final scene is that the royal family are metaphorically embracing the young man who is an obvious stand-in for young Erik, in opposition to the stance T'chaka took previously. Leaving what specific forms this acceptance will take as an exercise for the viewer isn't a weakness in my mind.

Also I thought the score and soundtrack owned.

I agree, it was very clearly the first step of a larger plan and T’challa wanted to make it somewhere of symbolic importance to him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, like... i'm not really supporting killmonger by saying what i'm saying, i mostly feel like within the internal logic they've established for the MCU it's odd that what I said didn't happen. like, compared to Tony Stark Killmonger is an actual loving saint, and yet one's got three movies and hijacked four others, and the other ~had to die~.

the MCU is a universe of morally compromised heroes, and yet for some reason this movie couldn't end with its villain making the change into a morally compromised hero.

He didn't have to die, he killed himself and went out on his own terms.

T'challa could've forced him to leave the spear in and dragged him weakly kicking and screaming all the way to the lab to fix him, I guess?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

i am the bird posted:

He drinks something that reverses the effects each time so as to make the duel fair. If M’Baku won, he would presumably become king and Black Panther and be allowed to have the herb.

Although it is curious that he has the powers prior to T’Chaka dying. Maybe Wakandan kings can have a proxy Black Panther?

He was definitely superhuman in Civil War, T’Chaka was probably getting too old to keep going with it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Didn’t T’challa say in nearly the same breath that he was promoting his sister to head of science and technology outreach

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

Yes,the violence would be horrible and cost untold innocent lives.
But if you want change, what are the other options? As I said, we all know the outreach center ain't gonna do poo poo.
How many died in the French Revolution? The American Civil War? WWII? Were they worth it? Whats the difference between someone killed deliberately, accidentally or by inaction?

The more damning part abiut Killmongers plan is it would fail.
1) Arm people
2)????
3) Revolution!
Not much of a plan.

Even with that super advanced weaponry it would still result in a ton of dead people, revolutionaries included.

And in the worst case the largest hotbeds could get bombed to kingdom come. Wakandan tech is super advanced, but there’s a point where weapons of slaughter are sufficiently advanced and deadly for the distinction to not really matter. A stealth bomber could be in and having dropped a bomb before anybody can even notice. And the second a major government found out where the weapons were coming from and that they were coming from the directive of the head of state Wakanda would get bombed to oblivion.

I get the feeling a lot of the posters in this thread are armchair revolutionaries who want significant change fast but would no way in hell be at the front of the line to die for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also, which countries if any have had a successful revolution after becoming a nuclear power?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

America has had two violent revolutions, the outcomes of which are remembered pretty fondly. Most modern countries were founded by extremists of some sort or another.

The military arms of then are nothing compared to the military arms of now and the US benefited heavily from the Atlantic separation from Europe as it does to this day. If Britain were on the same continent it would’ve been a vastly different story.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In the civil rights movement, violence and the threat of violence along with hard work and effort put in over a decade helped result in the gains that occurred. It’s not a dichotomy and the two applied appropriately at the right time can have a better result than either would individually but I’m a little wary about whether any of the groups using violence during that time were of the “burn it the gently caress down” mentality.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

T'Challa is fighting against "American foreign policy"... by deposing a revolutionary wielding American foreign policy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One of my favorite tropes (is it a trope?) is where after the good guy beats the bad guy, they both have a powered down heartfelt talk in some lonely, wide-open area, but something about the way Black Panther did it was lame

Having the villain kill themselves was a downer that undermined a lot of it for me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Killmonger is not part of the CIA at the time. T’challa is opposed to Killmonger’s CIA tactics, but not explicitly to he CIA itself.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

notaspy posted:

Didn't T'Chaka bring them in from the cold in civil war?

And when prince T'challa took the super strength way back when which ancestor did he see as his dad would still be alive?

Grandpanther?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

Only 33 movies in history have made a billion at the box office, I'd say it was pretty drat exceptional. What's your point?

That number is only going up and the rate at which it is going up is also going up.

Inflation + the Disney Machine are a powerful force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GORDON posted:

Congress grilled Zuckerberg today because people post stuff on the internet and then get outraged when people on the internet see their posts.

Yeah that’s, uh

That’s not really what it was about

• Locked thread