Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I think some of you are missing some of the more symbolic themes of the film that show the black man's subconscious struggles I think it is interesting that the villain of the film is essentially an American black who talks in an American style, lived in Oakland, has a hip hop aesthetic, was a CIA creation, and has an absentee father and was abandoned by his only other father figure (the king). How many black people in America does this represent in some fashion? Last time I checked the black community had like a 70% out of wedlock birth rate. Contrast this with T'challa who has a present father figure and lives in a well rounded culture without BET or the CIA selling crack. He embraces science and technology and is much more well rounded individual. Wakanda itself basically represents the heart and soul of the black man and the events of the film are a power struggle over who will control the black man. Either an authentic embrace of civilization and science represented by the T'challa and his family, or an anti-science imperialism based on hip hop ghetto black values and the knockout game. Which in turn are pretty much constructs of slavery imperialism and the CIA.

Did you get your entire idea of black people from The Boondocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wakanda's isolationism is shown to be a bad thing and T'Challa rejects it after calling out all the past kings at once.

That scene owned. He was so rightfully furious in a really gratifying way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Killmonger did not legally win the crown. T'Challa never yielded nor was he killed. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure that Ross still having his job at the end at least implies the CIA was ok with what he did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They had more than enough opportunity to simply suspend the kingship.

I know I'm not the most attentive person while watching movies due to my issues with staying focused on one thing for too long, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a plot point?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doesn't Okoye go out of her way to say they should honor the transfer of power? Either she's being naive in the sense that she, like everyone else, is assuming that T'Challa is dead, or she is less attached to hereditary succession than she originally let on.

She's assuming T'Challa is dead. I mean, the dude got thrown off a high cliff after getting the poo poo beat out of him. I don't think anybody would be naive in assuming he's done for.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

But the contention is that it's not known whether he's dead or not. Sensible thing to do would be to suspend the kingship rather than bowing to a guy you just met.

I mean, I guess? I'll admit, I was mostly just making a snarky nitpick.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gatts posted:

It’s like DBZ okay. The CIA were once bad but Wakanda powered up in time and now they teamed up against a greater threat and are begrudging allies. Forgiveness.

That scene where they suddenly remember Piccolo used to call himself the Demon King and was trying to take over the world, and then Piccolo quickly points out how he's totally still evil.

Just replace Piccolo with the CIA. :allears:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

plus if you wanna get REALLY nerdy about a fake country's fake legal system Killmonger's entire challenge likely wasn't valid because they clearly had a set time frame when the ritual was done and he missed it, but T'Challa was all 'no gently caress it we'll do it now' so it probably could be challenged as invalid either way. Worst case he did a coup to counter a coup, maybe legally bad but ethically pretty ok.

Yeah, uh, T'Challa's not the guy planning a military conquest and talking about how the sun will never set on the Wakandan empire.

So maybe it's just that some coups are bad and some are good? :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

General Dog posted:

When is Disney going to build a Marvel World theme park? Will it be in Atlanta since that's basically where the entire Marvel Universe resides?

The plan for now is to turn California Adventure into the Marvel and Pixar park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arist posted:

I guess trying to explain why I think a movie is good qualifies as threadshitting now, lol.

Props to that effort that avatar took at least

• Locked thread