Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZekeNY posted:

My machine empire is finally settling in to purge its first batch of meatbags, and my armies don't seem to lower unrest enough to profit off their delicious energy. Sigh.

Nobody seems to get anything from purging at the moment because the entire mechanic is bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
gently caress whoever designed the Ghost Signal event. It's loving stupid and you didn't even do a good job because it's bugged my entire game to poo poo.

So as a machine empire, ghost signal cut off my mineral and power production by 40%, so I off the bat can't even afford my loving ships anymore. Then because all Paradox knows how to do is generate giant stacks of armies that work off loving fairy dust and unicorn farts, I have to face a fleet literally 4x bigger than mine was before it turned my loving economy off. So I try my best to fix it by literally scrapping every loving building that doesn't make power or minerals since we were in the red on both. I manage to get my energy income back to positive, but low and behold due to their loving incompetence I still get to keep the -50% penalty to mineral production for having an Energy Crisis.

I even turned down the stupid loving crisis strength from the default.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Didn't you get the option to hack the signal? There should be an option in your event-window. If not, I suggest filing a bug-report.

I sure did. It'll take 663 months. Oddly enough not being able to turn on the power to the science labs is kind of a problem. The time to hack the signal does seem to be decreasing as more of my planets are obliterated, so that's kind of helping?

Also the power shortage penalty to my mineral generation did finally go away after a few years of not having a power generation problem.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Weird. The people who can cheat in however many fleets as they want who don't abide by the rules all the other players have to follow managed to win? What a fun and very strategic game!

I am very, very salty about this, but seriously what in the hell are you supposed to do vs a bunch of fleets who appear out of loving nothing at all that are all individually stronger than your entire naval capacity combined? My sliders were on 0.5x Crisis strength for fucks sake!

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 28, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare: How many planets did you have to get this? Or did you put your cost slider to 5x cost?!

Before 2.0, I got something like 12 months, with about 20 planets in a large galaxy.

I had 8 core systems with maybe a dozen or so planets total. By the time of my first post of complete frustration, I had about 40 systems in my empire (so that's +80% or so increased tech cost?). Tech / tradition costs were set to normal.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Are machine leaders immortal? That seems hella good.

Sort of. They randomly die surprisingly often and they also like to give themselves a negative trait that gives them -10000% experience gain.

I had a string of planetary governors who would take office, hit level 2 or 3 and then decide that they weren't ever going to level up any more, so I fired them. It took 4 firings before we ended up with the governor who actually lasted the rest of the game.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a good summary of how to build combat ships?

Corvettes with your best torpedo and best autocannon or disruptor. Add anything that increases evasion.

That's really all you need. If you want more pretty lights you can add some destroyers or battleships with giant lasers, but that's really more for visual aesthetics.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 3, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol +4 starbases?

Those kind of bonuses should at least scale with galaxy size or something.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Aethernet posted:

It's possible that the game doesn't lend itself well to traditional solitary-person-in-bedroom talks about what they're doing

It's not really a super deep game. The victory condition is 'Own most of the stuff, possibly as part of a stuff-owning team'. If your actual neighbors aren't actively punishing you for owning insufficient stuff, the AI will spawn angry numbers in boxes to come punish you for insufficient stuff-having at mid and late game.

Stellaris really needs to steal the multiple paths to victory that Civ has had for a decade or two.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Did they change it so that you actually need to build more than one kind of ship? I'm spamming nothing but corvettes with a missile slot and that seems like it's still pretty great.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 29, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So how long should the Great Khan's death throw things into disarray? Somewhere around 2300, the horde went active and our empire of useless pacifists immediately surrendered to them and became their satrapy. The Khan's mighty fleets proved much, much less effective against the empire of fanatic purifiers they invaded next, and the Khan immediately died and sent the horde into disarray.

It is now 2510. I have been getting the Mith-Fell horde's voicemail for about 200 years. I can't break allegiance with them. They still wander around sort of behaving like they're supposed to? They like to stack up huge fleets in deadends or bombard the same planet for a few decades while waiting for troop fleets that never come. It doesn't look like anyone can declare war on me (or maybe they can but they're afraid of the horde), but several governmental reforms later, we ended up as non-pacifists and got to declare a war or two with the colossus total war CB.

I'm not running any mods and the game's in iron man mode because I wanted to hunt steam achievements. Any advice for how to unfuck the game?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You should be able to right click an empty tile and 'build' a bio-trophy like you can your main robot species. Having to toggle empire-wide population controls on them is like the dumbest possible way to have implemented them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Just place them on their own planet. You don't need a mix of robots and biotrophies on each planet you own, you just need a ratio of robot to bio pops across the entire empire. So colonise somewhere they can live comfortably, relocate them over there, and then start work using your +200% habitability on the robots to fill up planets with production.

Oh my god this worked so much better than what I was previously doing. Works great for when you bring ice cream to a new alien race and find that they've colonized a shitload of planets that they actively hate being on. The initial ice cream process can be very stressful, so the remaining sentients can often fit comfortably on only one or two planets that actually suit them.

I just wish sector AI had a better idea of what it was doing with the ice cream robots. I unchecked 'respect tile resources' or whatever it's called, but we're still sitting on more than a hundred surplus food. Still it's way more fun to play Rogue Servitors than it was to play the strictly genocidal robots.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 5, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That AutoBuild mod one of you guys mentioned god knows how many pages ago is fantastic. It was basically exactly what I wanted by default and the config menu thing made tweaking it easy. It's absurd to me that the game has had bad planet and sector AI for its entire lifetime and some random dude on steam can just throw together something better.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah that's really the only thing that's missing (barring a full army rework). Aggressive stance for armies already does a lot of the work, but reinforcing losses is still a pain in the rear end.

vvv Starbase micro? They've got 6 slots until way into the midgame where it goes up to a whopping 9. For a massively hardcapped resource. Are you constantly switching the modules or something?

Say I want more naval cap, so I want to end up with a 6x anchorage, naval office and resource silo star base. Right now it's:

1. Build star base.
2. Queue 2 anchorages and the 1st size upgrade.
3. When one of them is complete, you can now queue up the naval office thing
4. When the first size upgrade finishes, you can queue up two more anchorages, another size upgrade the resource silo.
5. When it finishes building all that poo poo, you can go back and add the last two anchorages.

It's not a huge amount of micro by any means, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier if I could use a designer to create my desired anchorage station and then build it wherever I wanted directly. Especially if I want more than one of the drat things.

You could also just enable/disable the other slots if there is prerequisite for the slot is already in the construction queue (e.g. when I queue the first anchorage, let me queue the naval office immediately). That would let you buy all the things you wanted in one burst.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 10, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Virulence posted:

I started a couple of new saves this week after not having touched the game at all since 2.0 came out. Game seems pretty good now.

I'm really loving the devouring swarm empire I started. It's snowballed insanely fast to the point where I own a third of the galaxy (on a 600-system map) and it's just barely after 2300. The only thing I really dislike about it is that micromanaging pops sucks. Resettling conquered pops around so they can't generate enough unrest to not generate food and spreading out my pops onto conquered planets so they can multiply faster is a bit of a pain. Hopefully it plays a lot better with the overhauls that are coming.

In the meantime, you could do something that can live on tomb worlds (either post-apoc biological species or robots) and something that can Armageddon bomb planets to make them in to tomb worlds and absolve yourself of that pesky conquered pop management.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

The amount of emotional investment people in this thread have to random little sprites is absolutely astounding to me

The whole reason people play video games is for those little bursts of endorphins you get for feeling like you accomplished something. If you're bad at mentally separating fiction and reality, you probably get an even better rush on top of that when you get to act righteously v.s. someone who treats the whole thing as a dispassionate exercise in utility maximization.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 16, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

There being some sort of diplomatic "genteel war agreement" that provides other bonuses in exchange for ground combat penalties because your troops are forming lines of battle with laser muskets would be pretty great thematically. Some sort of unity/influence bonus as you're more 'civilized' than other empires, but you take larger troop losses against anyone not running 'genteel war' as well. Might be able to extend that to space combat as well.

The invader is already being really generous by not using their space superiority to wipe anybody hostile off the planet. The two armies playing lacrosse to the death instead of normal combat makes more sense than anything else. Especially since you only build ground troops and never like 'space tanks' or anything from the engineering science branch.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

I assume poo poo like tanks and so on is wrapped up into your army units - like, you know how the WWII Earth has like 5 armies, "US Armed Forces," "Red Army," "Nazi KillGruppe," "UK Forces," and "IJN/IJA," right?

One army unit is the size of one of those forces. Of course you're not building distinctive loving tanks at that level.

You're missing the point. None of the actual weapons tech like better lasers or going from nuclear warheads to antimatter makes your armies more effective. Neither does better armor or better strike craft. What does make your armies better is physical strength, powered exoskeletons and a repeatable society tech.

Clearly ground combat is a slam dunk competition. Xenomorph armies are just the Monstars from Space Jam. The five WWII armies are just their respective all-star basketball teams.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

(But is there really a colossus type that would be anything but a different colour or ethic of planet-destroying beam left?)

One that forcibly genemods the planet's population. Make them into horrible mutants or take away their sentience!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Clarste posted:

My.. God...

I think it was a 2.0 feature. It's not without it's downsides though. Your armies invade as soon as they've calculated a win is possible, so your casualty rate is much higher than it would be if you spent more time bombarding before invading.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is this new dlc going to be removing tiles, or is that for a future release?

The patch that comes out the same time as the new DLC is removing the tiles. So you'll be able to check it out and see what you think without having to buy anything.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz was so rightfully pissy with so many of the players. Just outright mocking them all for not building up fleets and telling them they're all going to get invaded and none of them listened. Wiz's usual "exasperated with all the idiots around him" attitude was entirely justified while doing commentary on the dev clash.

Like god drat so many people sending their massive 1.5k navies to die against someone's 10k station, multiple times, while wiz vocally warns everyone. I mean this wasn't some serious high stakes competitive game but still it felt like half the players had never gotten into a war in stellaris before.

I felt like they got kind of confusing directions. If you tell a bunch of players that they're not allowed to kill off their neighbors, I can't be really surprised if they just fart around and don't really build a navy. Most of them definitely missed whatever strategy the pacifist guy was employing though, since he managed to build many habitats and a ring world.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there's a reason population growth bonus/penalty are now 2 point picks. All your planets are going to be pretty much growing or contributing to empire-wide growth through the whole game so it's much more important. No more planets being "done" and totally static 10 years after they were colonized.

I wonder how that will play out on the warfare side. Like maybe I don't have enough influence to claim as much of your territory as I'd like, but if I can get to your core worlds and murder 100 years of population growth, you're basically hosed.

quote:

Raiding and slaving definitely seem like they're going to be very strong

Wow. Yeah 2.2 is looking like a hell of a buff to committing space atrocities.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 3, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Unless the immigrants are being poofed into existence, then you're still wounding your neighbor's economy by getting their people. Or I guess possibly keeping a status quo if you're also losing population to your own pops emigration. I wonder if that's why migration treaties were also given the benefit of letting you use the other empire's species to build a colony ship.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 3, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Gonna make a planet that's 100% robofactories and call it Ix.

(Gonna make a second planet that's 100% energy plants, to fund the transfers)

I think Martin capped it at one factory per planet to keep what happened in the dev clash (one dude's robot empire grew so quickly and got so powerful that he was as strong as most of the other players combined) from happening on release.

Man mods are going to be nuts after this patch. I am much more interested in this patch than I was for 2.0's release.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Has anyone seen one of the early access people making good use of the criminal syndicate system? I'm watching Shenryyr and he's run into two problems.

First, there's a lot of empires that you can't establish a branch office with at all: gestalts, purifiers, fallen empires, marauders, other megacorps. His first game had him not find a valid branch office target until he'd been playing for 4 hours or so.

Second, his branch offices were getting discovered and shut down very quickly. He would pay something like 1-2k energy for a branch office that made 20-30 energy per month, and I'd be surprised if more often than not, they failed to turn a profit before getting removed.

Bonus third problem: There should be a map mode that shows planets and their branch office slot (either unoccupied or what corp has a branch there).

I saw Scott Manley's stream where he basically crippled the first empire he found with crime, but based on Shenryyr's game I wonder if Scott's neighbor just didn't have the tech to build a police station yet or something.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Eiba posted:

I mean, psychologically that makes sense. It's a cap. Why is there a cap if you aren't supposed to go over it?

Maybe it would be better if there were always a small administrative penalty and then a point where the penalties started getting a lot worse so it didn't feel so bad to hit the "cap", even if the gameplay effects are negligible at first.

Maybe just no scaling cost so that games can actually end in an amount of time that is reasonable. Hell maybe it'd even help the AI if we can change their heuristics to
code:
function DoIWantMoreShit(worldstate) { 
  return true;
}

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

quote:

I think of it like this; you have a mining colony with droids. Every few years/decades, there's a new version out with a bit better performance, fewer bugs, does better with vague instructions, etc. This goes on for a century or so, and then suddenly your droids say they object to being treated as slaves and go on strike unless they get treated like biological life would.

At that point you can either accept that you need to enslave them by force or re-arrange things so all your slave robots can be paid, have their own houses, etc.

And then they get told that intelligent life doesn't do mining work, that's why we built robots. So maybe you can find a new kind of job in the big city, but this whole mine is closed until we can get a new lot in of last decade's robo-miners who mined all day for free and didn't give a gently caress.

The point of automation has never been to make the depressed butter-passing robot. Once it's too smart for that job, it can go do entirely new classes of jobs. The horse doesn't get a house and a 401k for pulling a plow just because other biological life is smart enough to appreciate a good digital watch.

The three droid techs should enable robots to take the corresponding tier jobs (so basic robots are workers, droids are artisans (or whatever) and synths can have ruler jobs). Maybe a special quality that they cannot downgrade job tier without it being a horrific atrocity as you physically unplug their CPU and replace it with a TI-82.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 5, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So that guaranteed habitable systems thing is apparently more of a guideline rather than an actual rule. I just had to dump my first 2.2 game because I found other empires territory before I found a single planet we could live on.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Pretty sure the new patch removed the 2 habitable worlds that would spawn next to your starting system, completely random now.

It's configurable now, but the default setting is still 2. I had the same bug as him.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

So are the Caravansary "Racket" race always tomb-world preference guys with psionic, thrifty, and a ton of negative traits? They just showed up really early on in my second trial game, and offered to settle a few of their guys on one of my planets.

So.... now I just have a population of tomb world preference dudes I can use to establish pretty much any colony I could ever want. Is there a drawback?

They're going to try to live on planets they're not suitable for, charge you extra in upkeep and probably try to riot for poo poo that's their own drat fault.

Speaking of which, how are other people managing pops that have varied habitability stuff? I tried to settle a tomb world with robots, which worked, but then my very much not robot people started moving there and then being all pissy about how there wasn't a biosphere. My current working plan is that every new alien we acquire gets gene modded into the same biome preference as my founder species and every single world gets terraformed to that biome. I found out that you can click the growing pop and specify which species will be allowed to grow but there are two caveats: first, there's a growth penalty and second, you can't pick to not grow a pop (which was my problem with the tomb world).

Baronjutter posted:

How the frig do you terraform? I could terraform mars after I got ecological restoration but I've got jungle and arctic planets in my space and no amount of hunting can find any sort of terraforming button.

The button to the left of the blockers button. Apparently steam's screenshots don't capture the mouse cursor, but it's the greyed out button with the circular arrow thingy on it.

pokie posted:

Has anyone created a resort world yet? I have unlocked the tech but don't see the decision on any of my planets.

You have to have a size 15+ planet with no buildings or districts and your colony shelter has to be the shittiest un-upgraded one.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 7, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Fun bug for Martin. If you set a slave up to sell on the galactic market, they continue to be for sale even if you change their citizen rights to something other than enslavement.

Which is both very funny and very, very evil when they get bought while they were ruling the colony.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know if this is your specific issue, but I kept getting caught by this exact scenario:

The goddamn second a better than poo poo-tier job opens up (poo poo tier jobs are farmer, miner, clerk and power plant tech), they all immediately quit and go to do that instead.

So right now you have 10 dudes who work in the mines. They make a base of 4 minerals each.

If you open up 10 artisan jobs on that same planet, those 10 guys who used to work at the mine now each consume 6 minerals / month each to make stuff.

So your happy +40 mineral / month buffer you thought you had is now -100 minerals / month.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Maybe uh, go a tad slower? Buildings are like two jobs each and then upgrading them is another three (I think), so you can and probably should build your economy incrementally.

And wait until you have pops ready to fill the new slots. Pops grow a lot slower than you can build buildings.

I NEED ALL THE ALLOYS IN THE UNIVERSE FOR MURDER.

I actually had a regular empire declare a humiliation war against me in this patch. I didn't even know the AI could do that aside from when the fallen empires used to cockslap you at launch if you rivaled them. Usually you get a little warning that you're hosed when you start seeing the warning icon for their claims against you.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 7, 2018

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What do people think about habitats? They seem like rubbish for the two perks you spend on them. One of the new ecumenopolii can hold an absolute ton of pops (like literally hundreds?) and free up slots for goods/alloy production all over your empire.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Well running out of any resource hits you really hard.

In other news, it looks like culture shock is a flat amount, instead of scaling based on how advanced they were. These medieval birds are taking as long to integrate and some post-atomics from another game I invaded.

It's also weird that it's on the planet and not the pops. My hive mind invaded Sol III and ate the iron age primitives, but my drones were suffering the culture shock penalty for a year and a half after they ate the last normal person.

I found the other economic hiccup thing I was hitting: Upgrading your headquarters building also adds new white color jobs to pull people away from food/energy/mineral production.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

So uh I think I'm gonna have to ramp the difficulty back down, I only had 5k fleet power when the Khan rolled up

The new systems are going to take some getting used to, I have no idea what to build when anymore

I feel like the crisis aren't really tuned right. In my current game on admiral literally every other empire that isn't a FE is pathetic to me. I was mopping up the galaxy and started cleaning up a marauder empire when it triggered the Khan to spawn in that system, instantly outnumbered me 10:1 and destroyed my 300ish or so naval cap of ships.

Ships are so much more expensive now and it doesn't seem like the parts of the game that just get to cheat in ships from the ether are really in line with what's reasonable.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zane posted:

my intuition is that it is safer and more efficient to ensure high surpluses in primary goods (minerals and energy) than it is to play fast and loose with them and to have to make up for unexpected shortfalls on the market later on. this means a healthy privileging of resource extractors over factories. this, in turn, means many fully developed resource planets actually keep their passive 'rural' specialization, even after they have four or five upgraded factories on them.

i do nonetheless tend to develop specialized manufacturing planets.. but for early game this is more for organizational purposes than it is for mechanical benefits. the 'flux capacitor' factory i think you're referring to is probably ultimately worth stacking up for.. i think it's a 15% total bonus to all factory-related production?

the one early game planet specialization that pays off very early is research--ideally on a world with low resources--because research assist is now a base ability.

I think part of the problem is that 'better' buildings don't make your workers more efficient. Your first alloy forge job takes 6 minerals and makes 2 alloys. Your fully upgraded alloy forge still takes 6 minerals and produces 2 alloys; you just get to fit 8 more equally efficient dudes in the same building. If anything, you're actually less efficient now because somewhere else in your empire there now needs to be a guy in a chemical plant who eats 10 minerals to make the 2 motes your better forge takes in upkeep costs.

Amenity production doesn't seem like it gets any bonuses at all (or maybe that's because the examples I'm checking out are from my late game hive mind empire). Maybe it would be easier to grow and scale if you eventually needed fewer pops to fill that need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Is there a benefit to becoming the center of galactic trade and is there a way to steal the title away from someone.

Your market fee is lower as the center and kill them.