Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Really enjoying the slower paced early game with more reasonable and less psychotic neighbours.

I'm not too sure about the new war system though. Am I missing something?

A neighbour of mine asked me to go to war with another neighbour using a "claims" CB. I didn't have any claims on them, but I figured it'd still be profitable, so I accepted. I captured 50% of the enemy systems and two of their planets. Went to the negotiation screen and it said that only the war leader could negotiate, so I figured I'd just wait for that to happen since we had completely destroyed the enemy and they were already at 100% war exhaustion to our 50%.

So I waited, fighting the remnants of the enemy until our war exhaustion hit 100%.

The war leader then peaced out for a white peace with no territory changing hands despite a resounding victory by our side.

What the hell? I assume this is because only claimed territory can be captured in a claims CB war? And I'd not captured any of my allies claimed territory? If that's the case then it's unclear as gently caress, plus how the hell am I meant to know what systems to claim and how can I ever profit from a war like that if I have no claims personally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's a shame that after all this time using auto best ships still frequently reduces your fleet strength when you upgrade.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jazerus posted:

i wouldn't do auto-best anymore, the system is too complicated now for that. you need to be actively making decisions during ship design because the various weapons are so different, and you should be making more than one design for each class to have different roles filled in battle, i.e. some of your cruisers should be carrier-picketers while others are hanging out in the line with your destroyers.

once you design a ship for its role you shouldn't ever have to tinker with it much except to slap upgrades on, so it's not a huge time sink

Humz, seems like even more micromanagement but I guess I'll have to do it since the fleet manager seems to be completely broken when it comes to auto best.

I mean seriously, I have one auto-best corvette design and one auto-best destroyer design so what the hell am I even looking at here:

Can't upgrade the fleet, can't get the template to recognise the existence of all the various "types" of corvette despite only having one design for them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Have defensive pacts always been a terrible idea? I've just had the same enemy pull me into three wars one after the other by attacking 3 other empires I have defensive pacts with one after the other. Absolutely devastated my empire, didn't touch any of the systems of the person they were actually declaring war on.

Now I know how the AI feels when the player manipulates mechanics to bypass truces :(

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Axetrain posted:

What is going on with the fleet manager, I can't even figure out why this thing exists let alone how it works.

Why is it listing those 6 destroyers as "0/6"? Why is it separating both destroyers into 2 groups, they are the exact same class of ship with the exact same loadout. What does reinforce do, just queues up a bunch more ships from local shipyards to fill out the ranks or what?

As far as I'm able to tell, it's broken. Hopefully it's something simple and they'll fix it in their first patch.

Reinforce queues up a bunch of ships, but because the system is broken it'll queue up way more ships than it should then just leave them stranded scattered all around the empire once it realises the fleet is already full. If ships become out of date the fleet manager will instantly think it's got zero ships in it until you upgrade them, but even if they're all upgraded it'll still put them in a bunch of different stacks with no obvious way to merge them or even work out why they're separated.

I also assumed it would spread the ship building around available starbases but apparently it just queues them all up on the same one. I don't know if that's by design or if it's another bug because it seems like it completely undermines the point of the button.

Oh, and there doesn't seem to be any way to apply a fleet template to a second fleet, and if you delete a template it disbands all the ships associated with it. So don't do that.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Nope they cant be upgraded any further. In fact now I think it may be something with those ships in particular since I cant upgrade them even when I do change the design.

I'm certain it's a bug. I had only one corvette ship design, but multiple different X/0 stacks of that ship in my fleet with no way to upgrade them or merge them. All the ships claimed to be the same but refused to merge no matter how much I fiddled with it. If you disband the ships and rebuild them, the problem will come back.

Someone mentioned it might be to do with making modifications to your fleets while the game is paused, but I have no idea what causes it specifically. It's probably related to the issue where if ships need upgrading the game considers your fleets to be empty and will reinforce them even if they actually full.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The fleet manager works in a surprising way.

You specify the designs you want to use in the Fleet Manager by name. I just started a game to test and my starting design is called a 'Tartrex-class'.

My starting fleet has 3/3 Tartrex-class ships.

I went into the ship designer and swapped some of the weapons around and saved it, overwriting the old design. I now actually have two unique designs internally, let's call the old one Tartrex A, still used by my ships, and the new Tartrex B.

My fleet now has 0/3 Tartex-class ships. The fleet manager is automatically updating to expect the most recent version of the class, the Bs. But all my ships are Tartrex As, thus they don't fulfill the fleet need for Tartrex Bs. It also enabled the 'upgrade' button because it detects that the ships in my fleet are not of the most recent version of the design. Upgrading them now shows my fleet at 3/3.

If you click reinforce while in this state it will build 3 new ships. If you have auto upgrade enabled, this will happen every time you research a new ship tech.

Not the best. Hopefully they will update it to understand that 3 ships that can be upgraded into the 3 that you need don't need rebuilding, they need upgrading.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the raiding system. It seems cool to be able to pay them off or point them at your enemies but much of the time they will just roll though your empire even when you're not the target and their fleets outmatch yours for much of the game so it's best just to stay out of their way and repair the damage afterwards.

They're a bit like a natural disaster system and I'm not sure whether they add a whole lot outside of the mid game crisis.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GotLag posted:

Hah, just had pirates spawn in year 11 who immediately attacked a pod of space whales... which wiped them out.

Space whales are the best.

I'm actually growing very fond of all the random monsters that just sit around in systems, too. They stop pirates from spawning and raiders often bumble into them and get wiped or at least severely damaged. They're great little pets

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 27, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Reveilled posted:

If that's what it means it seems to be bugged because I frequently see my fleets marked in red despite being fully reinforced and upgraded.

Something might be a bit off with it, I've had two fleets that needed reinforcing, one marked in red and one in yellow.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

canepazzo posted:

What's the green 92 number in my fleet display?

I get that I have 56 ships out of 90 planned in the template. What's 92 stand for?

92 is the size of the fleet cap I think. Although I thought that the x/y was the current/fleet cap and the number in brackets was the template size? But I might be misremembering.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 1, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Outpost maintenance is going to have a huge impact on early game expansion. Energy is a bit too useless in the game at the moment, especially now it can't be dumped into traders for minerals, but in the early game it's still really tight and you're going to have to focus on energy acquisition much more now in order to expand.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fleet manager seems to work on ship names, so if you overwrite a corvette with a destroyer design you can go massively over the fleet limit and if you try to reduce the number of ships you end up at -10/20 or something.

Is this due to the fix that means retrofitting ships are considered the same in fleets?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone else finding that the fleet manager minus button remove two ships instead of one? This is in the beta patch, wondering if there's anything you can do to make it stop doing that because I keep getting confused

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Did you unpause? My various caps are always off initially then it goes back to normal.

Yeah, same with mineral and energy income. After unpausing it fixes itself after a day or two.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

The problem with this, cool as it might be, is the same as with all sabotage/espionage/dissent-sowing mechanics in strategy games: it's not fun to be on the receiving side. Invariably you have two scenarios:

A) It's possible to completely protect against, which becomes a checkbox for the player and another thing the AI isn't competent at, or

B) It's impossible to completely protect against, so players are getting spammed with debuffs and costs by AI's - not fun at all.

Galactic espionage and sending agitators to turn your neighbors' people against war are awesome in concept, but I doubt it can be implemented well :(

I quite like the idea, as long as the way you deal with it is by getting a CB against the pacifist that's doing this to you. That brings the way of dealing with the situation more in line with how you deal with the expansion ambitions of other empire types, and if you get a diplomatic "piss off or we invade" option to make them back down without a war it could work well. Probably shouldn't work pacifist vs pacifist but other than that it seems like it'd be fun to play.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think I'm having a hosed up AI issue too- I have an Awakened Ascendancy that hasn't actually done anything. It's probably been 100 years after it woke up and it's still got the same borders and hasn't been involved in any sort of conflict.

This is my first game I've stuck with to at least mid-game and I feel like it's been a bit anti-climatic. Like 80% of the galaxy is in a federation which rolled over a sleeping FE with no problems, the remaining 20% is on the other side of the map and pretty weak.

I had the same thing, but it happened shortly after I destroyed a nearby FE so I think it may bug out if one of the two participants in the war in heaven gets destroyed after the event chain is already in motion.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Arrath posted:

Oh hey, automatic survey totally ignores the No-Go navigation restriction you can apply to systems full of interstellar horrors or other Science Ship eating things. Cool.

I've never noticed this, are your ships set to evasive? I find automated survey ships irritatingly never revisit dangerous systems even to check if the danger is still there with third sensors which would be pretty useful.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with things like this?

I have 6 destroyers (Coventry class) but none of them are going into the same category in the fleet manager even though they appear to be fully upgraded.

Disable the auto generation of new designs. That seems to gently caress up the fleet manager really badly.

If you've already done that then I have no idea, seems to work fine for me with specific designs with auto upgrade checked.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

My spaceport has some dummy items in its construction queue in the fleet manager. Is there any way to get rid of those? Clicking on them does nothing, and they're preventing me from reinforcing my fleets.

To fix this, split your fleet in half, only one of the halves will have the issue. Split the broken half again then merge the two smaller ones back into the larger one.

Wiz plz fix.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, admiral assignment is the other way to do this - basically, when merging, fleets will prioritise one of them as the "main" fleet and all others will merge with it and forget their settings. If one fleet has an admiral it will use that one, otherwise it will use the largest. I also think it perhaps prioritises fleets that have been manually named by the player.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

It's still pretty drat big even at the lowest setting

I think I'm just doing the game wrong and need to learn the early game strats, that or I'm not seeing the depth most people are getting excited about

What sort of empire are you playing? If you want more interactions with other races maybe try fanatic xenophile egalitarian with diplomacy traditions. Alternatively go for vassals with domination of that's more your thing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AG3 posted:

The numbers to the left is what YOU are getting from the sector's surplus production, and the sector is currently running at a -17 energy deficit. Ergo you get nothing.

It's worth noting that the sector's deficit includes the money you're taxing them so often reducing their energy tax will put them into positive - although in this case since you're getting zero from tax then setting tax to zero won't do anything

*edit* humz, or maybe I'm mistaken vvv

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 10, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm always a bit afraid of downloading mods as soon as they're released, and this one looks like it needs to ripen a bit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I really like that they're changing the yellow triangle clicking simulator to something that will hopefully be a bit less tedious. I do worry a bit that the tile system was one of the only things that gave individual planets a personality though. I hope they can do something interesting with this new screen to do the same, even if it's something as simple as showing the planet in the background while the window is open.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think piracy is a necessary mechanic at all. It's designed as a penalty to discourage players from leaving single system gaps in their empire, but this could be achieved much more easily via other mechanics if it really is such a big problem. Just give a happiness penalty to planets bordering uncolonised systems, job done.

The idea that a bunch of pirates could summon a fleet big enough to destroy your entire navy has always been silly. Piracy is always an irritant to empires, not one in danger of overthrowing them so simulating it as fleet battles in the early game is just silly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This latest patch has taken cockblocking simulator to a new level and it's awesome.

I hope Wiz isn't annoyed that the obvious strategy with these new maps is to spider your empire all over trying to gently caress other empires out of expansion opportunities. I know he disliked the idea of big snaking empires, but I'm enjoying the strategy of expanding to cut off your opponents as quickly as possible.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 23, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Playing rogue servitors, just created my first sector with two planets in it.

Lets have a look at what tile improvements they're building.....

Brilliant.

Does anyone know if there's any way to make them stop doing this? This feels pretty game breaking.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nevets posted:

How's your servitor morale modifier? It's possible that until it gets maxed out, the AI thinks it needs more biotrophies, and therefore will need more food to grow them, regardless of your current reproduction rules or the absence of habitable space for them to occupy.

It's low, but the trophies are set to not reproduce so this is kinda dumb. If I set them to reproduce they'll fill every available slot on my handful of planets before I'm able to change the rules back again.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, wait for wiz to finally put the tile system into the trash where it belongs.

It's a nice thought but I'm pretty sure this change will set sector AI back to square one.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

You know you can just build all those tiles to whatever you want instead of just complaining about the sector AI. Like sure it looks like there is a bit of missing logic in there, but you have the tools to make it a non-issue.

I mean yeah, if I had infinite minerals and an unlimited core planet cap I could do that, but since I have to use sectors and building something on every tile of every planet in my entire empire would be both too expensive and also soul destroyingly tedious, this isn't really all that useful advice.

Since sector ai is going to spend all their resources building food on every tile, I'm probably going to restart with a less broken race.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Play Exterminators or Assimilators. Not being able to build food-producing buildings seems to unfuck the sector AI a bit.

Well, unless it decides to start forgetting to replace the capital buildings on conquered planets.

Yeah, that's what I usually do but I hate the negative one million opinion you get when ever you conquer biological planets and slaughter the population. This was my first run as servitors, basically just being "robots that don't turn everyone into goop".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere but did they change the way it works when a primitive species within your borders becomes an empire? Previously it would just randomly give them the system and you had no say, but now you get a popup where they request the system otherwise you get control of the planet which is pretty nice.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm turbofucked in my current game; I opened the L-cluster last night and there's at least 3 fleets of 27K nanobot swarms roaming the galaxy gobbling up empires, and one on a direct course for mine. Before I got into a defensive pact war with a couple of neighbors, I had a 5K fleet total, which is down to about 3K and rebuilding right now. That war hasn't even ended yet, because apparently my ally doesn't know how to offer a peace deal, but in about 2 months, the nanobots are going to be into my space. The guys we're fighting are also getting swallowed by the 'bots, so there's that.

I'm not even complaining, it's kinda fun watching the claimed systems disappear from the map, like V'ger's on its way to Earth or something. But I honestly can't see how you're meant to deal with it as early in the game as I am. I assume this is one of several things you can find in the L-Cluster?

I had the same. L-Gate stuff seems to be available way too early - I had two fleets of 6k strength each and was the strongest empire in the region when the L-Gate dumped ~30k stacks on my doorstep.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, all the insights for me have come from random science ship discoveries too, except for the last one. If it's meant to be late to mid game, the tech shows up far too early and far too low a cost.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I enjoy different races having different options on the same map. That wouldn't work. Also, no wormhole drives!

Is there no mod to restore the good FTL system?

The AI pathfinding code was significantly simplified when the FTL methods were changed, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to mod it back in.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

For what it's worth, the hyperlane changes really improve the gameplay in a bunch of ways. Sure, there's less variety in how empires move around, but the strategic terrain of the galaxy is excellent now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
I was never really into Stellaris as a "strategy game". It is more of a sandbox RP galaxy simulator for me. I can't put the United Federation of Planets into my game now that they don't have warp drives. It breaks the immersion!

I like the option of starlanes, then I can do EVE online vs The Federation. But having only star lanes is lame as heck. Why not just leave the other FTL options in? Its not like you didn't have the option of playing "starlane only" under the old system. What is the point of removing variety.

In the new system - especially given the new structure of lanes and exploration system - you couldn't leave other FTL options in without completely breaking the game. Early game is now primarily about exploring the hyperlane map to work out where to best expand, there's no way you could just choose to be able to jump anywhere and have that system make any sense. Expansion has to be along hyperlanes, not just adjacent systems and there are a bunch of events and mechanics (Gates, L-Gates, wormholes) that would be completely broken if you could just jump anywhere on day one.

Securing your space is now a case of reinforcing a handful of frontier bastions at choke points and having several fleets to guard them, another mechanic that would not work if you can simply jump past these chokes.

Space terrain requires it to have a shape that applies to everyone. The ability for some empires to simply opt out of that system and move where ever they want doesn't add variety, it removes the all the upsides of hyperlanes and just makes it a gigantic disadvantage.

The variety of the old system was interesting, but the depth that hyperlanes can bring now that they're used by everyone is far more so.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Moo2 had warp drives and space terrain. You couldn't warp through space with a black hole, and going through a nebula made your warp drive go to a crawl. Taking out the other FTL options just feels lazy as gently caress to me. If they wanted to they could have added terrain modifiers to the other types of movement.

Having different strategic considerations based on what sort of FTL type you opponent uses adds all sorts of interesting gameplay. If its two star lane civilization next to each other you get the choke points, but if you happen to be next to a wormhole species you need to adjust to that and play differently. That sounds like variety to me!

Yeah, there probably were a variety of ways that it could have been implemented, but having multiple methods obeying the same terrain limitations would always have tended towards redundancy. It seems like hyperlanes were a logical choice for wanting to implement terrain.

Removing FTL options doesn't seem lazy, the laziest option would be to do nothing and leave it as it was. Cutting the options and completely rewriting a bunch of game mechanics to better compliment the remaining one, then re-implementing warp jumping and worm holes as more interesting gameplay elements is considerably more work.

Just to double check you're aware that warp jumping is still in game as a mid game technology, yeah? And wormholes are an extremely powerful late game galactic wonder.

I'll admit to not really understanding the RP impacts that these changes have since that's not the way I play, but in my opinion it's expanded travel from an interesting but fairly shallow choice at the start of the game to a complex system with multiple choices to be made throughout the whole game.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 28, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone just keeps on giving me free poo poo with is a bit weird tbh.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too and I'm having trouble working out what exactly is happening. Might be buggy, might be some weird and poorly explained "please don't hurt me!" from empires who feel threatened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wiz posted:

No, it's still there. Are you looking in the right place? Are you sure a mod didn't remove it?

Hey Wiz, since you're around I was wondering what strength you expect players to be at when they unlock the L-Gate stuff? I had a couple of 5k fleets and was equivalent or stronger than all my neighbours when I activated it and I was surprised at how completely outmatched I was.

Fortunately I just reloaded a save but it feels like it would have been rather game ending in ironman.