Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

So, I think sectors are starting to make a bit of sense. I've got one operating fairly autonomous right now. All I had to do was give it some resources to start a stockpile and set it's preferences. Now it builds and expands the planet as it goes. BUT, only as there are unemployed pop it seems. It won't build stuff it doesn't need. Which I guess makes sense considering the upkeep costs. Catch is I was expecting to see it start churning out building and such from the get go. With jobs vs sectors the AI handling things very different it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

The fluctuation you're seeing is probably you building a big fancy factory that uses minerals, and then having miners move up the strata. So you have like a 12+ mineral swing per job switched, because they went from producing 6 to consuming 6. The solution here is usually to try to avoid flooding higher strata jobs onto your raw resource production worlds.

Yeah, flooding a planet with high end jobs does have some interesting consequences now. Starting to only expand when I have some unemployed pops or at the least a heavy surplus income to offset has helped me a lot.

Learning it the hard way due to finding a VERY nice research planet I colonized only to find out every research job it pulls means basic resources the rest of my small empire has to supply instead.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, I've been playing all weekend, and this realization is what made the new economy really click for me. I was still in the habit of trying to build everything I could as soon as I could, but now I'm focusing on food and mineral production, with an alloy foundry here and there, and highly specializing my planets along a rural/urban divide. By selling the food and minerals I can keep up with my consumer goods production and free up those manufacturing slots for labs or housing (great for getting a few amenities with no pop/consumer goods requirement) to balance things out and keep up on everything until, as you say, I'm big enough to really industrialize.

Yeah, you’re saying it way better than I would have today. I grumbled about alloys only until I started buying them when I need them to expand.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

They leave when your planet hits about 20% devastation so you should be able to bounce back pretty quickly.

Unfortunately the entire economy seems to have been balanced around the assumption that you can buy shitloads of strategic resources whenever you want, so uh

Machines can still grow food. Grow it and sell it or throw it in the bioreactor building.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One unemployed pop for ~1-2 years is WAAAAAAAAYYYY less expensive than overbuilding. I completely get the philosophy of wanting to front-load colony development, but the new system does not work well with it. My colonies are ending up more specialized organically because it's more effective to utilize each planets zones on a per colony basis. Approaching it as each colony having X of each class of worker to work with makes a huge difference. I currently have a mineral heavy colony that pretty much is built around churning as much minerals into my stockpile as possible. If I went too heavy on research/higher level production/etc I'd just be pulling workers out of the mines(until I have enough surplus pop to do both). I just sell whatever I don't need and chalk it up as that planets energy output.

Also, If your running a heavy surplus stockpile of one resource but hurting for another (IE: alloy) you aren't using the system to it's fullest. Sell stockpiles for credits and buy what you need, when you need it. You can even set up automated monthly sales to streamline the process. Until you can handle supplying all your resource needs in-empire make use of the galactic economy.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Nessus posted:

I suspect the alloy costs are what's in back of this, since the event fleets come out of the magic jar rather than being built by the AI.

As an experiment I bumped the mid/end game events back ~75 cycles to see if that helps this game. As a whole the AI seems to just build slower than before in the new system.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Running a machine empire with Assimilation gives you twice the pop growth as an (unintended?) bonus. Your cyborg race breeds AND you still assemble machine pop.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Spoiler alert, you should be, because planet specialization matters quite a bit :v:

Seriously, planet specialization is a much bigger deal now. The governor ai is fine enough to handle most planets, but is you want to shore up production of something an Agri/Forge/etc world is the way to go. In my last run I got the Impossible Fungoids and ended up with +30 pop out of nowhere. I moved them all to a few worlds I couldn’t utilize before and they now feed everyone else in the empire singlehandedly.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Thanks a lot RNG. Fresh start as an assimilator machine race. Both early neighbors are machine w/assimilate. Any other game I’d love having TWO potential allies so close. But....assimilated both already, it’s was the only way to play it really.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sloober posted:

i always play some version of a spiritual empire and tomb worlds are no go, but that's hilarious.

Step out from your luxury resort condo and take in the breathtaking view of twisted hulks of burnt out cities and a dull lifeless gray landscape, ahhh that's the life

Sounds like a very Westworld-y resort to me! Hell, if you’re playing a purge happy xenophobic race it almost makes sense.

Tour guide: “And on your left you’ll see a burned out city belong to the FILTHY ALIEN SCUM who stupidly killed themselves off before we even found this planet.”

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 11, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

Don't be such a thin skinned baby

potato.

Missed opportunity for tater tot .

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They definitely keep their intended distances sometimes.

I lucked out in my assimilator run and pulled a cruiser out of a gas giant. It's absurdly effective early game because it's able to engage early tech fleets/starbases from outside their range and utterly destroy them.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My Megacorp just got a mascot. One of my explorers reports back saying a baby space amoeba was following him around. 2 years later it grows up and I have a full grow Space monster named Euka as the new mascot of our company. Great publicity AND it keeps pirates away(eats them)!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I think my megacorp broke some robot brains. I managed a successful start and built a REALLY strong early economy by auto buying/selling so that I basically was converting every extra point of production into energy credits. Cue the assimilator s right next to me who started out wanting my head. That quickly changed when I started gifting them enough to essentially throw their entire Econ out of whack. Ie: they were getting so much energy/minerals from me they never developed a decent supply of their own. Got to the point I built enough of a reputation that I offered them to be my subsidiary and they accepted.

So yeah, I’m a fungoid business mogul with their own pet death machine junior partners.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 14, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Is anyone doing anything clever with the markets ability to execute monthly buy/sell orders? It seems like there must be a way to use it to either a real advantage, or just to automate something. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this kind of thing, but I recognize there is probably some potential there.

It can make for some massive expansion with a megacorp. I’ve got all the resources tuned to autosell/buy. Essentially I keep a stable stockpile of everything on hand and hoard energy credits instead. That plus running Private colonys(the one you get a 500energy colony ship) means you can drop a new colony on demand. Plus, if you control the global market it gets stupidly profitable.

Edit: Think of it this way, I *could* focus on early game alloys or other things, but I have an Agri-world pumping out an obscene amount food that I’m just selling the surplus to buy what I need when I need it. Funding my military with a fast food chain.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 14, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

Can someone confirm or deny if the new pop growth system is something taken from the darkest nightmares of a Brexit enthusiast? As soon as one Repugnant Life-seeded Decadent refugee from a nearby authoritarian slaver empire steps on your soil, he's going to eventually outbreed your native pops until they are a minority and your state is a crime-ridden hellhole? Because there are people on Paradox forums claiming it's exactly how it works.

I’m not seeing the issues with it. The only thing I’d request is a slightly higher initial pop growth rate. As far issues dealing with a umm...less than desireable refugee emigrate them to some backwater hellworld working the mines? Some gov types can set preferred population growth by clicking the portrait on the planet as well. We truly are all monsters is this game.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've played on lowest planet setting (I think 0.5?) and even with 1.25 tech/tradition cost and default midgame, 25 year earlier endgame crises, I'm generally at "snowballing" state by the time the crisis shows up. However, I usually can't just jump in and wipe them out (unless they pop in to one of my systems near a chokepoint), I've got to wait for the Guardian Fallen Empires to show up and follow them for a bit, keeping the crisis from growing too fast. If they were far away enough I couldn't stick a checkpoint and bottle them in, they'll usually get to ~25% of the galaxy before I'm able to start slowly grinding them down.

It does tend to make the Khan show up when I'm just hitting T2 weapons, which means creative farming of Khan fleets means lots of tech gains. It also means the Khan is actually really dangerous.

I usually run ultra low habitable planets but keep plenty of primitives around. Makes for interesting games as civs either enslave/uplift/assimilate/whatever.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lately I’ve been playing an ultra expansionist empire focused on mining stations and using the market to shore up weaknesses. If I can get an absurdly high mineral/energy income early why not just monthly buy alloys/food if needed? Sure it’s not as cost efficient as other methods, but when your first forge world starts coming online you just stop buying and not have to worry about remodels/etc.

Edit: I did the math ages ago but i think it’s one energy upkeep base per station, so as long as I am building enough energy station to supplement the mineral/science ones it’s a net positive costing only alloys(which I buy using the extra income I’m getting) and influence on starbases.

Only mention it because for all the strats mentioned no one talks about the market at all. Am I doing things horribly wrong or something?

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 14, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Staltran posted:

Why not produce food and sell it instead of producing energy and buying food? Farmers produce base 6 food, which sells for 2.8 energy, while technicians produce 4 energy, buying 2.8 food.

Kind of depends on the situation to be honest. Basically I try to keep myself around +5-10 food and sell the rest. If it’s less than that I buy until I can shore up production. Early on its easier to ignore food production and build something else if I’m running a huge energy surplus. I prefer to think of early game production in terms of pops as well. I’d rather have them researching/making unity/consumer goods/etc until I’ve expanded more.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sorry, phone postings so I’m a bit abbreviated on my description of my strategy.

Instead of MTS I opt for more early expansion. Year one is solely focused on finding the guaranteed habitable(only play with one) and then mapping local cluster. End of the first year I evaluate the map and define my initial borders. With those in mind I aggressively expand towards a few key systems that will serve as chokepoints/border strongholds. Early-early game planetary production is geared towards unity and research, I ignore basic resources on planet unless I get lucky with modifiers/etc. This whole time I aim for moderate energy/mineral gain with enough minerals stockpiled to build and expand. Food isn’t really a factor minus keeping it positive and stockpiled enough for colony ships. Alloy production I aim for +30 or so by the end of the first few years.

Enough alloys early lets me splurge on a few super early starbase upgrades to make sure my border is locked down without needing an expensive early fleet.

Sidebar: I’ve found offsetting MTS with earlier expansion works well with ancient relics btw. Turn the resources you are making into another science ship or three that are getting a few levels then diving into excavations. An early higher level archaeologist can pay themselves back stupidly quick.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I did not realize that I would be able to just take the territory without needing a claim from the Machine Intelligence empire that had a defensive pact the Driven Assimilator Empire.

I mean I was kind of hoping that they would stay out of it for a while since there was still a couple years left on the peace treaty I had with the Machine Intelligence.

But since I could take the territory and I am playing a xenophobic spiritual society, I am taking as much of both robot empires as I can. I nabbed an Assimilator shipyard and a couple of his anchorages and I'm softening up their homeworld for an invasion, so that slowed one side down, especially since I've also taken a lot their space. But the Machine Intelligence did a good job with their strategic depth and I haven't been able to get to any of their main starbases so they are able to keep their fleet strength equal to mine. I keep having to bounce them around by taking some space on one side of their empire then retreating to let them take it back while I do the same thing on the other side of their empire.

Essentially I'm just taking/losing/taking the same half dozen stars or so in order to keep their fleets busy while I gobble up Assimilator space.

What’s the response time? If it’s long enough you could probably fortify a system with platforms and such and try to break their response fleet when it shows up. At least that’s usually my preferred method of dealing with a “fair fight”. Worst case you can sacrifice a smaller fleet to cripple theirs at a starbase and just push farther in on the other side.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I learned this the hard way. My fanatic purifier game ended in disaster. After purging roughly 4 empires the remaining ones all gunned for me simultaneously after hiring both marauders to ransack my poo poo at a period where I was already hemmorhaging drat near every resource after my recent conquest learned how to put up an actual fight.

It’s all part of the fun! A high point of my recent driven assimilators game wasn’t the win as much as the mid game assault I made that broke the local federation formed to stop me. :getin: No one wanted to honor the mutual defense agreements they made after I broke the biggest armada they could field at the time.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Any modder want to whip up some tech tree edicts? I’m just assuming you could make an edict with the goal of “Focus on **insert speciality**”. That gives a massive chance increase to certain fields.

Personally, that would solve a huge portion of my tech tree gripes.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

Weighting is entirely determined per tech. You'd need to add the edict as a weighting factor to every affected tech individually.

So doable, but a ton of work. My assumption was that there was a modifier (like the leader speciality used) that could be added on top of things.

What about just tweaking the leader bonuses by a few factors then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

And this doesn't address conquering, which is by far the most efficient way of increasing your output of research(and pretty much everything else).

I mean, sometimes the best way to play the local cluster rear end in a top hat is to occasionally crush a small neighbor with a huge fleet of low tech garbage just to scavenge tech off the corpses of their ships. And then let them rebuild and do it again. And again.