Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

WhiteHowler posted:

Is it viable to play this with a group of two? Does it scale enemies correctly for fewer players?

I picked up copies for my wife and I, expecting we'd play with our co-op friend group. But they're all addicted to Gunfire Reborn for the foreseeable future, so it might just be us for a while, if the game is balanced for it.

I feel like 2p is easier than 3p, but 4p is easier than 2p. You should be fine 2p!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

WhiteHowler posted:

Is it viable to play this with a group of two? Does it scale enemies correctly for fewer players?

I picked up copies for my wife and I, expecting we'd play with our co-op friend group. But they're all addicted to Gunfire Reborn for the foreseeable future, so it might just be us for a while, if the game is balanced for it.

2p is just fine. Gunfire Reborn is good but it doesn't have a ton of content right now, especially if you're bad at the game its kinda just you running the first level over and over and over again. You should be able to get them on this soon enough.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Drewjitsu posted:

Born ready is only mandatory on the gunner and only with the Autocannon.

For everything else, just git gud :colbert:

Got it, do the opposite of whatever Drew says :colbert:

WhiteHowler posted:

From solo up to 4 player, it scales really well. You guys are golden! The community is also generally very nice, if you want to test out the full team experience.

XkyRauh posted:

I feel like 2p is easier than 3p, but 4p is easier than 2p. You should be fine 2p!

It varies. 4P is the easiest if everyone pulls their weight but that is, uhhhhh, by no means a guarantee (see my post history for some "fun" examples). 4 players worth of enemies when you have doofuses that don't cooperate or use their 3 and 4 keys can be a real circus. Once you're comfortable, the kind of shenanigans these people will drag you into can be really funny and satisfying to survive, but early on I think 2P might be easiest for WhiteHowler & Spouse

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

2p is just fine. Gunfire Reborn is good but it doesn't have a ton of content right now, especially if you're bad at the game its kinda just you running the first level over and over and over again. You should be able to get them on this soon enough.

You say that, but I know people who have thousands of hours in Left 4 Dead, which was literally running the same levels over and over again. I am so thankful that this game exists and I can play poo poo with them that has actual variety.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 22, 2020

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Thanks. I'm enjoying Gunfire Reborn too (even made a thread for it), but I agree that it needs more variety or a way to mix up the level order.

DRG seems like a good change of pace.

Unsinkabear posted:

From solo up to 4 player, it scales really well. You guys are golden! The community is also generally very nice, if you want to test out the full team experience.
Awesome, thank you!

For whatever reason, I don't like playing most games with people I don't know in real life. My wife doesn't play a lot of action games, and I'm not as good at them as I used to be, so we don't really want to drag down the experience of strangers.

I've had fun playing certain games with goons, bust mostly more casual or MMO-style games (Warframe, FFXIV, Diablo 3, etc.).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Unsinkabear posted:

You say that, but I know people who have thousands of hours in Left 4 Dead, which was literally running the same levels over and over again. I am so thankful that this game exists and I can play poo poo with them that has actual variety.

If every time you played Left 4 Dead you HAD to play No Mercy first, that would totally suck. The different levels is what gave left 4 dead its staying power, in Gunfire you're going to be running that first temple level so many friggin times

Meanwhile, every level I do in Deep Rock has me saying "Holy poo poo" at least once, in awe of some of the crazy poo poo the generator comes up with

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 22, 2020

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

For whatever reason, I don't like playing most games with people I don't know in real life. My wife doesn't play a lot of action games, and I'm not as good at them as I used to be, so we don't really want to drag down the experience of strangers.

I totally get this and feel the same in a lot of games, especially competitive ones. Someone else itt told me that up through Haz 4 in this game, all that matters is that you're actively using your 3 and 4 skills ("not even well, just regularly"). If you do that, you are contributing positively to everyone else's experience and success. Now that I've started trying to always do that I've started noticing who else does and doesn't, and as a general rule of thumb it's so true.

Not trying to sway you, if pub games aren't your jam you're fine on 2P! But if you want to try it, that's the secret.

Meanwhile, every level I do in Deep Rock has me saying "Holy poo poo" at least once, in awe of some of the crazy poo poo the generator comes up with

Same, and even when it's bad it's usually still good! I got some old buddies together for some dives last night, and on our last one, we lost during the extraction due to Mactera Grabbers repeatedly grabbing me and flying me out of the green circle while everyone else was down and I was frantically trying to clear bugs and rez them. It happened back to back to back, I would grapple and jump and fight my way back to them, get there, IMMEDIATELY get grabbed again, repeat. We were absolutely dying of laughter and it was the perfect cap on a really good night.

Edit: Except when said generator spawns bulk detonators when you're defending those green circles you have to stay inside. Then it can gently caress right off.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 23, 2020

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

WhiteHowler posted:

I've had fun playing certain games with goons, bust mostly more casual or MMO-style games (Warframe, FFXIV, Diablo 3, etc.).

The community is pretty chill, and the game has a good spread of difficulty levels. There's also a lot of flow to the gameplay in that you're not constantly under siege like in L4D or Warframe, there's quiet mining and exploring/traversing broken up by wave spawns and events. If you're playing with just the two of you there's a lot of class synergy regardless of what you like playing the most, the enemies will scale to your player count, and there's no real time pressure to get maps done other than running out of ammo/nitra or one particular mission type.

There's not much emphasis on speedrunning and min/maxing like you find in L4D/V2/Warframe/etc, and you don't really have to rely on twitch FPS skills unless you're going up in difficulty. In that vein, there's also no harsh penalties for dying (in terms of harming the team rewards), and you can be revived infinite times.

You will also find yourself hitting V and F in other games. I can't enter dark areas in other games anymore without some voice in the back of my mind goin' throw a flare.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 23, 2020

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fishstick posted:

You will also find yourself hitting V and F in other games. I can't enter dark areas in other games anymore without some voice in the back of my mind goin' throw a flare.

I just finished Control and even after playing it for a week solid I was still trying to chuck flares into dark corners. I don't think that impulse will ever go away.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There is also the co-op goons discord, which has pretty regular games.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Playing other shooters I can't stop trying to power attack anything that comes close. And I often let things come close because I feel my power attack cooldown is up so it's time to conserve some ammo.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
My buddy says he's always miskeying in other games trying to shout rock and stone

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

threelemmings posted:

My buddy says he's always miskeying in other games trying to shout rock and stone

Rock 'n Stone, yeeeeah!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I had a bit of a hiatus and caught up on the thread some. Saw that gif of the dude bouncing around like a madman playing scout and knocking the bugwhale out of the air with a cryo-grenade.

So I jumped in a game with goons last night and we came across a giant room with a ton of those annoying bugs coming out, with a bugwhale in the distance. Figured it was my time to shine!
I ran and jumped off the cliff into the tunnel intending to grapple somewhere close to the thing, but ended up just getting one shot by a spitter in the middle of the room full of bad guys with the bugwhale very much alive and spitting out tons of little guys.

Guess I was a bit rusty sorry goons.

(then I died like 15 more times)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lozareth posted:

Playing other shooters I can't stop trying to power attack anything that comes close. And I often let things come close because I feel my power attack cooldown is up so it's time to conserve some ammo.

At least in Payday2 you can charge up a power attack kind of. And also can heal you with a perk also!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

I had a bit of a hiatus and caught up on the thread some. Saw that gif of the dude bouncing around like a madman playing scout and knocking the bugwhale out of the air with a cryo-grenade.

So I jumped in a game with goons last night and we came across a giant room with a ton of those annoying bugs coming out, with a bugwhale in the distance. Figured it was my time to shine!
I ran and jumped off the cliff into the tunnel intending to grapple somewhere close to the thing, but ended up just getting one shot by a spitter in the middle of the room full of bad guys with the bugwhale very much alive and spitting out tons of little guys.

Guess I was a bit rusty sorry goons.

(then I died like 15 more times)

That's typically my role, in the group I play with. Goondolences. Hopefully you all had fun and didn't wipe, though!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Startin to really ache for that new Update. They teased something on twitter but it's not much:

https://twitter.com/JoinDeepRock/status/1297102905598779394

Looks like a building of some sort, maybe for one of the new game modes? It also looks like the old Alpha/tutorial biome, I hope this means it's making a full featured comeback.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Under water/submerged biome when?

We already got the coral and stuff in the dense biozone.
Just need a giant eel and dire dire dock.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Give me a melee oriented dwarf that has a big rear end axe.

Alternatively, give me an elf that's awkwardly dressed as a dwarf with a really lovely glued on beard. He can shoot arrows'n'poo poo. I'm sure they could come up with a utility ability suitably elfy, like an aoe healbot or something.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Under water/submerged biome when?

We already got the coral and stuff in the dense biozone.
Just need a giant eel and dire dire dock.

As much as I love underwater settings I don't think it's gonna happen. The few times it's been brought up during AMAs and discussions its mostly a technical limitation (destructible terrain + water physics + procedural terrain = bad times for CPU) but also a difficult balancing act, since putting everything underwater shifts the balance of class roles a lot. Scout loses a lot of purposes if you can "swim" everywhere.

They could just make it look aquatic and make the whole level underwater and just fake it with low grav and give dwarfs heavy diving suits, or just explain it away with "dwarves can't swim" or something. Allright I'm sold, electric eel biome when.

Also, another teaser from yesterday's stream:

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 28, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

any word on when the update’s coming? taken a bit of a break & wanting to dig again

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nothing but teasers. Still, teasers are a good indication that things are in motion and we'll be getting news soon.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah they usually don't start teasing until theyre getting pretty close. Probably around of the end of September or mid september for a beta branch. I've been on dwarf hiatus more or less as well until it drops.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/pIZaeaM.mp4

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Didn't blow himself up with that c4 as well. 3/10 driller.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I was in an 6 egg mission in the Glacial strata when my friend commented that she hasn't seen a bulk detonator for quite some time.

We fought 3 of them that mission, and a 4th was approaching as we ran, ammoless and nitraless, into our escape pod. Oof.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/PSB05Lc.mp4

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Eeepies posted:

I was in an 6 egg mission in the Glacial strata when my friend commented that she hasn't seen a bulk detonator for quite some time.

We fought 3 of them that mission, and a 4th was approaching as we ran, ammoless and nitraless, into our escape pod. Oof.

I hope your friend bought drinks for the next few rounds. :mad:

I had a hiatus from this game for a while. Still surprised to see new players here and there. It's kind of a minor delight to show them neat things; like various drinks, Steeve, and loot bug petting.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Honestly I'm almost always happy to see the ol burgle wurgle. Granted I've never seen 4 in one mission. It's good for breaking up the game and adding some chaos.
They already have the rare Crasius Detonator which is a neat little treat. They should add a slightly more rare Assius Detonator that makes a long drawn out fart sound when it blows up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Elite Deep Dive was going smooth till phase three when our driller accidentally switched to C4 and blew up himself, the gunner and the engineer. Normally that'd be the scout's job to recover but oh man the bugs were not having any of my bullshit.

Also, the Supercooling Chamber for the M1000 is amazing. :golgo:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Before that mission, the most I've seen was 2. In that mission, the first appeared right as the map started, when we retrieved the third egg 2 appeared at once, and the last appeared with the 6th egg (we saw him after we pressed the button but before the drop pod landed, which was alarming all of us.

And yes, she bought drinks. More in celebration that we actually finished the mission, but still drinks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MariusLecter posted:

Elite Deep Dive was going smooth till phase three when our driller accidentally switched to C4 and blew up himself, the gunner and the engineer. Normally that'd be the scout's job to recover but oh man the bugs were not having any of my bullshit.

Also, the Supercooling Chamber for the M1000 is amazing. :golgo:

whoa didnt know this game was on ps1 :aaa:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

whoa didnt know this game was on ps1 :aaa:

Dude, that poly count would destroy a PS1. What are you talking about?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

He's saying your graphics settings are very low. The screen appears super low res.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Lassitude posted:

He's saying your graphics settings are very low. The screen appears super low res.

They're not, though? I didn't respond to that one because it seemed so out there that I thought I was missing the actual joke.

If you somehow think those are embarrassing graphics,
you should see my 25% resolution scale gameplay :smuggo:

E: Whoops, looked at it on the monitor instead of my phone and it's much more noticable. But the fact that I was that easily fooled is a testament to how flexible the art style is, imo. It's honestly shocking how well this game runs and looks on integrated graphics; it's incredibly well-optimized.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 1, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
PS1 was pretty hyperbolic. It's about a PS2 level in that screenshot. Although, the more I look at it the more I get a low res borderlands vibe from it and now I really want that overhaul.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Follow-up to my previous question about reach vs cooldown on the grappling hook's first tier: after testing both for a while, it's reach. Absolutely reach. When you're on the run you often don't have time to perfectly path and position (or if you're in the air you can't do so at all), and that extra 5 meters makes a huge difference in what terrain is available for you to grapple to at any given time. It makes repositioning on the fly so much smoother. The 0.5 second cooldown difference comes into play far less often, and most of the times it does can be solved by Shotgun Jump.

Both reach upgrades combined with the full 1 second cooldown reduction in the last tier makes for a great balance, imo.

Source: avoidable deaths and frequent frustration :eng99:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoinDeepRock/status/1301858093538643969

Speculation about the new mode? I hope it's not just go to point A, and fight while building something, then go to point B, repeat, then to point C, repeat. That would be too close to modes we have already.
The 3 build pipelines indicators are shown in a different way than normal primar/secondary objectives. Maybe it's because they can be built but also damaged, so it will be three points you have to defend at the same time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Follow behind a giant tunnel borer and lament having to fix broke dick drills like you're some kind of bank robber. :v:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Fire our drill vendor. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

isndl posted:

Follow behind a giant tunnel borer and lament having to fix broke dick drills like you're some kind of bank robber. :v:

If I have to play another game where I repair drills... :argh: