Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just picked this up. Barely know what I'm doing after a half dozen missions but I'm stumbling through it somehow! Fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hello Cosmic Afro, funny running into you during a random mission!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Petition to replace booze with weed

weeds? Sounds like leaf munchin to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Really been enjoying this. Been playing Engineer and Driller and got both around level ~15-16. I should probably concentrate on one of them though so I can reach level 25 and unlock all the stuff that requires a promotion.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there still a place where goons actively play this? I checked out the two discords in the OP but they seemed pretty dead (especially the vermintide one).

Pubs have been pretty decent overall, but goons are always fun and more competent than you'd think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've actually been really impressed by some of the massive caverns I've ended up stumbling into.

Also I love how the only audio thing you can do besides the ping system is just a generic cheer. It just seems to engender eager friendliness

Rock and Stone! :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just got my first promotion :toot:

I guess I should try to do this Deep Dive thing before it resets in about 14 hours.

Should I do this "Breach the Core" assignment ASAP? It says it can't be cancelled once taken. Does that mean I can't take other assignments until I finish it? (including weapon license/unlocks?)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish the breech cutter actually carved lines in the terrain, it'd be handy for cutting down pillars with resources on them or clearing sightlines.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, I never meant just wiping out terrain using its normal hitbox. I meant more giving it a second hitbox that covers only the line(s) that makes very small slices. It'd help the "feel" of the weapon and while arguably not super useful for terrain destruction besides pillars, it does have potential for comedy and cleverness.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 30, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, lucky. I keep getting OCs for stuff I'm not using/playing. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've managed to Promote the Engineer and the Driller and I've started on the Gunner. The gunner's minigun feels really mediocre. I know part of that is just lacking upgrades but I feel like I'm not putting out nearly as much hurt as my Driller or Engineer, and often find myself scrambling to throw up a shield cause I'm getting overwhelmed even when I've got friendlies nearby.

Also, dumb question, the reload button makes the gunner grab and spin the barrel. I assume that doesn't actually allow you to shorten the spool-up time? EG: You see some bugs starting to burrow through the wall during a wave or you're rounding a corner you know that has enemies around it, so you spin the barrel that way instead of pressing fire to maintain speed and not potentially waste ammo. I assume this doesn't work?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wafflecopper posted:

Every weapon has an animation for when you try to reload and can't. That's the minigun's

Yeah I noticed, and thats what I figured. It would be cool though!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I unlocked a bunch of the special brews and managed to get my Dwarf to just below the passing out point (when they start rambling). I then went afk and made a quick dinner. In the 15? or so minutes while I was gone, my dwarf somehow managed to drunkly stumble from the Abyss Bar all the way back to his room unaided. Or maybe it was the room next to his. :iiam:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing like *knowing* a bunch of bugs are crawling along the ceiling as you spool your minigun and being completely unable to see them. because they're just outside of the range of the tossable ground flares.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My own stupid pubbie moment today: Entering a cave with a Driller right behind me, getting plucked off the floor by a cave leech and seeing the Driller, who was right behind me and should have definitely saw me get grabbed, or at least heard me, immediately run off to mine some nearby gold while the leech slowly chewed me to death.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm so ashamed, started playing for the first time in at least a month, probably a good bit more, and just realized after finishing my first mission that I didn't ROCK AND STONE a single time...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I swear, this game loves to give me overclocks for the weapons I am not using. Give me clocks for the weapons I like! :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

nexus6 posted:

Wait what? You get rewards that aren't even for the class you are playing?

There are several ways to get overclocks and cosmetics, some are completely random, meanwhile the core matrix events will let you choose between 3 (though you still can't tell exactly what you're getting, just "Engineer overclock, Gunner Cosmetic, or Scout Overclock" for example).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd just leave and find another game. I wouldn't even spite push the button, I'd just leave. Not worth the time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also just join the DRG Role tag and don't be afraid to @ it any try to get a group going yourself. Most of the time I start playing when someone @s the tag and I go "heck, why not.... FOR ROCK AND STONE! :black101:"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I'm talking about the Co-Op Goons server, maybe you joined a different one and to join the DRG role you send a "!lfd" command to one of the bots, the rules&info channel has clearer info.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You get used to wrecking OMENs pretty quick, IMO. A well coordinated team helps a LOT, most goon groups will mulch OMENs without too much trouble... or eat poo poo immediately, its a tossup. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish the game would give me leadstorm already, but no it'll be another BRT or Bulldog Overlock :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I need to play scout more, its the only dwarf I haven't promoted yet. Nor have I even unlocked its other weapons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I kind of wish the driller had some kinda thing where he could stick a glowing post into the ground like the ones molly leaves (or that appear when you call molly). They don't even have to provide illumination around themselves, just be easily noticable so I could mark shotcut tunnels I've dug (such a preparing a shorter route for when we extract during a linear cave missions like mining quota). Seems like no one ever notices helpful tunnels I've dug. :eng99:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

cage-free egghead posted:

Also, the the hyper propellant overclock for the engineer is absolute bonkers and makes fighting praetorians, oppressors, detonators, and even dreadnoughts easy work. It's absurd.

You always find yourself missing the ability to just obliterate a swarm of bugs though...

but when you go back to something else, you miss the ability to practically erase a single nasty target.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BMan posted:

*laughs in breach cutter*

Your "laugh" doesn't have much range :v:

Dogen posted:

Fatman does both

Yeah, but the fatman doesn't have much endurance!

I love both weapons and all those OCs, I think its a good sign that the two are pretty decently balanced, as are those specific OCs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IronicDongz posted:

if there was a points system where bigger enemies were worth more, it would be more informative, but it would also provoke a lot more stats comparisons as it got more accurate and a coop game doesn't really need that level of competition

Even then it'd be misleading. What if I knock off 90% of a Praetorian's health with a hyper V grenade and then the gunner shoots its butt with a single BRT burst and finishes it. He gets the credit?!

Who cares! DRG is about teamwork :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wonder if this will replace the very rare Dreadnought attack/invasion during non Elimination Missions. Like this is a "Mature" dreadnought while the others are fresh out of the cacoon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I hope they do one or two more cosmetic packs similar to the Roughnecks. I much prefer the unarmored jumpsuit + rigging look vs the normal suits the dwarves have to choose from. Especially the Gunner and Driller, I never liked their big bulky suits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There are definitely some "non optimal" bits in my various loadouts, and I give no fucks, cause they're fun.

Well that and the game STILL refuses to give me loving Sitcky Fuel! :argh: I am starting to think it'll be the very last weapon OC I unlock.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Harlock posted:

I cannot play anything but scout because the grapple hook's power. I just feel so slow without it.

Meanwhile I can never get used to scout cause I’m too used to the no subtlety killing power all the other classes bring.

That and I always forget I’m the one that needs to shoot flares. :v:

I’ll get it promoted eventually...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dogen posted:

Also, I see we lost the mule crane :(

Maybe they just didn't mention it because it had been mentioned previously? :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fishstick posted:

Yeah Haz 5 is fun once in a while and but Haz 4 really feels like the sweet spot without having to tryhard.

This. Haz4 has enough of an edge to make you work for it during bad luck moments but is otherwise relatively pretty chill Dwarfin’.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have no proof of it, but my assumption is deep dives disable certain procedural generation "protections" that prevent/greatly reduce certain really lovely (but not necessarily game breaking) situations from occurring during normal situations.

Such as the drop pod boring through one of the egg sacks on landing and basically causing you to get double-swarmed at the start.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

threelemmings posted:

That's the opposite of bad though, because in that case you can just hide on the ship and take no damage while you clear the swarm. That's become my buddy's standard practice anyways, set up a turret and wait inside as I run screaming laps around the ship pickaxing bugs:black101:

Sadly we usually have enthusiastically already piled out of the pod and Command sends it back up, laughing his evil, beardless butt off as the glyphids swarm in.

[edit] Unrelated but recently I've had the urge for a game thats basically Deep Rock Galactic + Rimworld. Basically Sci-Fi Dwarf Fortress.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 16, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Game, I'm begging you. Please just let me have the Sticky Fuel OC. The CRSPR is my favorite weapon.... please. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This week's Elite Deep Dive is definitely Not Chill.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Might try again tomorrow. Might go smoother now that I'd know the stupid places it puts the pumpjacks, and that there will be a few detonators at certain points...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just had a pubbie group of Greenbeards (all ~player level 10 or less) who actually used voice comms on a mission with where we killed a Crassius in a tight tunnel. Their reaction was great. :allears:

Also great was their reaction when the entire upper gold shell exploded and rained down on them because I had been drilling the rock away from it while they were cleaning up the bottom, wondering why I wasn't using bombs and what all the drilling was for. :smug: