Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
God drat I've missed this show.

And while it's certainly possible Paige could be called upon to do/stomach something unspeakable, the whole point of second generation naturalized agents is so they don't *have* to do as much to get high-value intel. If Elizabeth comes across a guy who gets his jollies beating the poo poo out of women, she has to take it if it means she's still getting intel vital to her mission. Directorate S ultimately wants Paige Jennings, not her covers.

I'd say one thing that I'd be surprised if it isn't touched upon is whether Elizabeth will begin to resent Paige "having it easier" and being more intrinsically valuable to "the cause" than she ever was. It's got to annoy the poo poo out of her that Paige gets to :downs: her way through learning to be an operative, making mistakes that would've gotten her shot during *her* training.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It could be demonstrated that Paige felt coerced. She'd still get jail time for espionage, but she'd be out before she was 30.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

All I know is that *someone* is dying from that suicide pill. It's *going* to get used - just maybe not on the person it was intended for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Stan's girlfriend is totally CIA.

Honestly, the curve ball would be if she *was* an agent, just not US or Soviet. Maybe British or Scandinavian or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was waiting for "it's not my blood."

Besides, Paige straight up watched her mother murder two guys with a knife. This was tame in comparison.

Also, did anyone else wonder why the General was packing such a dinky little pistol?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 5, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

xerxus posted:

It kinda bothered me a little that Paige took that shot.

Uh, from what I saw Elizabeth forced the gun in the General's hand under his chin, and forced him to pull the trigger. Paige wasn't armed, and if she had been, it would've completely invalidated setting the scene up as a suicide.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

canyoneer posted:

And I bet cyanide pill gets used on cancer wife

Oh, I'm thinking this, too.

The question is - does Elizabeth, having developed a bit of a rapport with the dying woman, go for Round 2 of "Suicide Confessional" like she did with the poor old lady at the Mail Robot Repair Depot?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Going by the way things have gone in the past, if this lithium sensor is so damned important, they're going to want Phil and Liz working together again to procure it through other avenues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok that may or may not have been a gigantic red flag from Stan's girlfriend

I see it differently. A KGB operative would know the age limit and would not have asked in the first place. It would have been more suspect if she'd asked about a civilian position at the Bureau. Also, even if she were the right age, they'd never see each other and it'd cripple their relationship.

Now, if he *counters* with that civilian job idea in the next episode or so, we might be able to infer she's socially engineering him, but Stan's smart enough to know that her working near/with him is a *horrible* idea. And the first chance he gets, he's going to say "you're not going to believe what Renee said the other night" to either Dennis *and/or* Phil.

And, she'd never pass the clearance process even for a civilian job at the FBI if she's a first-generation illegal operative. It's the whole reason they're even bothering with Paige. This settles the "is Renee a *Russian* operative" question in my mind. It still doesn't put to rest the idea that she might be someone *else's* operative, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 12, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, and even with Philip showing himself to be *extra* careful in watching for tails (since it was light when he got out of the car and dark when he got to the park), Oleg should know better about meeting with a Directorate S operative *right after* a former FBI counterintelligence agent pays him a courtesy call that lets him know he's being watched.

Also, having gone through the clearance process myself, I'm trying to wrap my head around who Paige's references would be. They sure as hell can't use Claudia, and Father Tim is ~away~ somewhere. Her entire support network is comprised of iffy people with with even 'iffier' (wow, 'iffier' is actually a word) credentials. Wouldn't *that* be a loving pip - if the mighty KGB is foiled by the SF-86 questionnaire...or Paige's first polygraph. The second they tell her for the first time that "we have reason to believe you're being evasive" she'll crack like cheap china.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 12, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, that guy *had* to die. There was no way he wasn't going to mention the 'security audit' to his 'works in the building's security' girlfriend, even though he signed the NDA.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

howe_sam posted:

There's always Stan, and some of the people who work at the travel agency.

Red flag on the latter, simply because they work for her father and might feel tempted to say glowing things, but yeah, Stan would work. Probably a handful of teachers as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

lol at trying to convince the Directorate S brass that you need more money for a private parochial school.

"Keeping up appearances."

Paige is way more likely to get into the position where they want her in if she comes from a successful family.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Old James posted:

What was the Russian dish they made?

Okroshka, I think.Zharkoye. A good deal of them are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes

They were talking about making Golubtsy and Solyanka.

Kvass was mentioned last season - that agricultural guy mentioned trying to make it for himself.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 13, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In the "coming up on this season" thing, we already saw Paige in bed next to some preppy-looking prick, looking uninterested and pensive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

...could be showing that he's hiding important life stuff from Elizabeth for whatever reason...

Well, he's tried to tell her about it, only to get the DEATH STARE hurled back at him. It's clearly obvious she resents the fact that he's "out."

If anything, that's the one thing I'm having trouble with this season - Phil being just straight up *out* of the KGB. I could see them switching him to a *support* role, or as someone else suggested, using the travel agency to move agents and wash money, but them just *agreeing* to let him become Mr. Normal American so long as Liz keeps doing the spyin' and killin' just doesn't wash.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think he's really out. He's still an asset, as shown by when Oleg meets up with him.

Yeah, but that struck him as really unorthodox. Oleg was told his contact procedures, and Phil seemed genuinely annoyed/surprised when he saw the mark. The first words out of his mouth upon meeting with Oleg were "I'm out."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Well, he's your department" is about the coldest loving thing I've ever heard Elizabeth say. The level of detachment in her voice concerning the well-being of her *son* (and his future and happiness) was chilling.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

howe_sam posted:

It seemed to me like it wasn't so much detachment as it was roasting Philip after he tried to interject himself into Paige's spy education.

You'd *think* that, but she seemed entirely unconcerned about Henry having to leave his school in his senior year. Of course, *she* never had a "senior year" by American standards, but I took from that exchange that she clearly does not care about Henry as much as she does Paige, specifically for the reason that Paige is more valuable to ~the Rodina~.

My guess is Philip is going to get forced back into operational status under the proviso that the Center starts figuring out a way to funnel them extra cash to help make ends meet.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm going through all the seasons again, and I'd forgotten how royally hosed Nina gets, then her trial and execution scene. Just the denial of appeal and a bullet to the back of her head.

At least she wasn't made to suffer and overly contemplate her fate over a long period of appeals, never knowing when death will come.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Liz is going to go ballistic when Phil tells her "Operation: Kimmy" is a non-starter, and that "you aren't like Mom and I" :smug: moment with Paige...

I half expected him to ask her to "go find a suitcase," just for explanation's sake.

I do think Phil laid the groundwork for their downfall in this episode, though. And I kinda went :stare: when my prior prediction about the civilian job for Renee at the Bureau came true.

Honestly, I wonder if she's not "ours," in a long term cover trying to prove Stan's a double agent. If this show ends like Arlington Road I'm gonna be *so* pissed...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 26, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And next week's episode is entitled "Rififi," the only thing I can get out of it is that it's a Greek colloquial term/nickname for...bank robber

Also the name of an old robbery film where the robbery went bad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, I can't remember - did Elizabeth actually get the go-ahead to kill them? I remember Claudia saying something to the effect of "something might have to be done," but I'm wondering if Liz, all hyped up on hypernationalism and anger/disappointment with Paige, just decided to recklessly off Gennadi. I mean, she had *no* op support whatsoever.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 26, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, that episode was something else.

I was absolutely terrified that the kid would turn around and see her.

I love the feeling that we're rapidly approaching an endgame.

e: So, did Elizabeth try to leave once she realized Gennadi had company because

(a) There is still some tiny glimmer of a soul somewhere in the communist Terminator she's become, or
(b) Too much can go wrong if there's company, and the whole logistics of an assassination just become way more complicated?

Guessing "B," simply because even though the woman in question had a pretty thick Slavic/Russian accent, she had no way of knowing if she was an American citizen since she hadn't seen her face. For all she knew, it was some woman the FBI had procured to be a nanny or something. She just kind of got lucky that it was the other defector.

Sure, she's killed a ton of naturalized Americans in the past, but this one would very plainly be an assassination by a Russian clandestine agent. It wouldn't surprise me if Oleg gets sold out or :commissar:ed even though he had nothing to do with this simply because he's not supposed to be there and it's a convenient way for the Rezidentura to dispose of him by making him the patsy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Elizabeth is a psycho brainwashed communist zealot suffering from PTSD. I feel like she's going to just snap and lose it in one of these final episodes.

I read her attitude towards Paige's lapses in judgment and mistakes as *her* failure. Like her ~grand contribution to the cause~ isn't worthy of it. There is no way Paige is not going to gently caress *everything* over (especially with this last episode's peek into her 'superiority complex' over Phil), and Liz keeps trying to shove the square peg through the pinhole because :ussr:.

Her parents have always been 'absentee' to some extent, and now that she knows why, like any 20-something, she's eager to show them up at their own game.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

What was the communication method that Phillip and Oleg used? Was that a mix of mouthwash and...something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

It was a one time pad. Philip placed the coded message along with a nondescript page of the pad encoded with the decryption key written in a special ink inside the message pad and then shoved the message pad into the window grate. Oleg, remembering his tradecraft, used a specific mix of reagents (likely *not* cologne and mouthwash) to bring out the key from the otherwise 'clean' page of the message pad, because he did not travel with a one time pad of his own (and it would be worthless anyway as they're all unique) because "he is there to learn about railroads and traffic." :derp:

Even if the FBI broke down Oleg's door and took the message and decryption key, it's *one* one time pad, and is worthless in the grand scheme of things. That being said, Philip *copied* a page from *their* one time pad book. Copied it, then didn't *destroy it*, because Liz would probably notice that. Which means that if Oleg is compromised and if he hasn't destroyed that decryption key (for whatever reason, or because it's the only way he and Philip can safely communicate), the FBI will be able to read the message Liz wrote with that page. It's unlikely in the grand scheme of things, but it's precisely the kind of situation OTPs are used to avoid.

-----

That aside, what I'm wondering is if Phil's original intent was to raid Liz's stashes to steal some of her bolt money so he wouldn't have to use Henry's pity lifeline, but ended up instead getting too curious and checking all of them to learn more about what she's up to.

Also, just call it a hunch, but I've a feeling Liz is going to see what a "true comrade" looks like when he's dying from cyanide poisoning.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 3, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

esperterra posted:

And I can't wait. It's been building since day one with her, she has to snap.

Speaking of which, Phil's "gently caress!" was used masterfully.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fuckstick posted:

If you think from that teaser that Phil is going to put himself to Stan next week I’m afraid that you are going to be disappointed. He’s probably going to tell Stan a made up story about “marriage problems”. Unless of course Elizabeth gets spotted in Chicago by the people tailing Harvest.

Just a reminder - I'm sure they're going to dig this out of a drawer:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Mail Robot actually has a Dead Hand mechanism inside of it, so if anyone ever stops having it deliver mail, it explodes.

The closing shot of the series is Mail Robot repeatedly banging into the FBI's first email server, beeping like we've never heard it beep before.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

All they have to do to poison Stan is drop the pill in a bottle/glass of beer. Dude will never turn down a free beer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

I see Phillip getting killed due to Liz's mistakes. Then Stan kills her.

Oleg is about the only one I'd care if killed.

There is no way Oleg is not being made the patsy when all of this goes tits up. It's too convenient for the 'bad' Soviets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Only if Reagan immediately goes full senile, asking where he is and where is Nancy"Mommy."

FTFY. He really did call her "Mommy."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The attention to detail is astonishing on this show. A few seasons back, they correctly referenced two branch streets in my general vicinity (both of which are relatively close to Hanssen's dead drop location) as well as have dug up obscure DC area television ads like Belmont TV for random moments.

And in this episode, they recreate a period-correct Roy Rogers instead of just make the guy work at 'Tony's Pizza" or something. I know they still exist in small numbers, but drat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only way I could see Kimmie being brought back is in a "she casually mentioned the warning she was given to her father and he went apeshit" way.

Philip's pretty much hit pure "gently caress it" at this point, and I'm sure Stavos' confession that he knew on some level that the business was a front ~for something~ from the beginning probably had to bruise Phil's ego more than a little, since it implies they aren't as good at covering their tracks as they think, and if Stavos can figure it out, who else suspects/knows something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s no way he comes out of this without at least his professional reputation being in tatters.

Aderholt's, too.

In a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, at least she doesn't have to worry about advancement anymore.

And I'm sure Claudia's going to hear about how they made her up to look *exactly* like Elizabeth.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 24, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Could've sworn that when Claudia's hands went under the table that it meant one of them wasn't going to be alive in another few seconds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"So yeah - my superior went in to talk to the FBI today. Do you think I should be worried?"

Philip: :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

beanieson posted:

Way to go father andre 🙄

E: the assassin that Liz killed was the woman from her flashbacks right? The brunette who was training her in Russia?

I *think* it was the woman (edit: Tatiana) that Oleg screwed over. The one who has been setting him up at the Rezidentura as revenge for him tanking her career.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 24, 2018

• Locked thread