Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was only listening to the radio feed, was Lester really hovering around 88 for most his outing today? Because if so, that's ... not encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mexican Radio posted:

4. The Orioles will start strong enough to completely whiff on moving Manny before collapsing in the second half.

I can't wait to see how badly Duquette botches that whole thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MLB.tv still allows up to five concurrent connections on a single account. VPNs and DNS spoofing are a quick banhammer ticket, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

I've been using unblock-us/unlocator for years and it's never been an issue. I also share with a few friends.

Every year there are goons saying they've had their accounts suspended because of DNS fuckery. Six of one, half-dozen of the other? :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Front office is as inept and stupid as kapler.

Not sure you'll find many people in baseball who consider Pat Gillick and Andy MacPhail "inept and stupid."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bewbies posted:

i don't like what tom hicks did to liverpool one bit but it is excessive to call it a war crime

edit - the same can be said of nolan ryan and robin ventura although i admit liking that

Nolan Ryan can gently caress right off after the bullshit he pulled with Josh Hamilton.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

A subsequent story points to him yeah

Link?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

Gabe Kapler is already on the hot seat lol

MacPhail isn't known to be particularly patient so I wouldn't be stunned if Kapler was gone by early May. He's always been the type to admit a mistake and cut his losses early as opposed to riding out a storm.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Marlins Claim British Virgin Islands Citizenship In Attempt To Avoid Miami Court

Jeets doing his best to make Loria look like an honest businessman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Also reminder that the McCourt’s long term plan was to get Jamie elected president lmfao

Didn't McCourt get to keep the parking lots when he was forced to sell the Dodgers? That was some bullshit.

tadashi posted:

The problem to me isn't that Jeter & co weren't thinking, it's that MLB keeps giving every other team that comes on the market to owners who have no business buying the team.

Yeah, this is definitely an issue. Remember, Jeter only put up like $20 million of the sale price; the vast majority of the rest came from a hedge fund shitlord. MLB should have known what they were getting into, there.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 11, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I prefer "Can o' corn"

Buck Martinez explaining the etymology of can o' corn to Jim Hughson seventeen times a game in Triple Play '99 is basically seared into my brain at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mike_V posted:

That game kicked rear end.

'98 was really good. '99 was a mess with a terrible frame rate because they actually put textures on everything and the PS1 just couldn't keep up.

Edit: 98:

99:

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 12, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ALFbrot posted:

I don't see any untextured models in the '98 image, though

Look at the jerseys in 99. They have textured wrinkles and whatnot. In 98, they just used shadows.

Depending on the team you could get 99 running at like 9 fps.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casnorf posted:

I don't know if the 2K exclusivity deal ended, but if it has I am genuinely surprised that Sony hasn't made a push to port it. Then again, anecdotally, The Show is a system-seller.

The third-party rights are out there. No one wants to build a baseball game from the ground up when The Show is around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I feel like we discussed the options for an MLB team moving last year and concluded that there were no realistic straight-shot options. Here's a list of markets larger than Milwaukee (currently the smallest market in baseball) without an MLB team:

Montreal
Vancouver
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Sacramento
Austin
Indianapolis
Charlotte
Columbus
Hampton Roads

There are no straight-shot cities. California, Florida, Texas and Ohio already have 5, 2, 2, and 2 teams respectively, so it's unlikely we'll see another team in those states. Indianapolis would get whining from the Cubs, White Sox and Reds. Charlotte just had its AAA team move into a near-MLB-quality stadium, and the Orioles, Nationals and Braves all have territorial claims to the area. Orlando isn't a viable baseball market. Hampton Roads would run into the Nats, and Vancouver would make Seattle raise the mother of all tantrums. Portland hates baseball so much that it turned its AAA stadium into a soccer-specific one. There are a number of issues with Mexico City (the peso's in the shitter, corporate sponsorship would be hard to come by, and there are significant safety / security concerns). And, finally, Montreal has a huge stadium issue: Olympic Stadium is not a realistic option, and there is massive political resistance against any sort of public funding for a new one.

I mean, poo poo, the most realistic option is probably Vegas, and given the sport's history of gambling scandals, MLB is understandably wary about going there.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 17, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That poo poo about the Giants still pisses me off because don't they only have the San Jose territorial rights because of Walter Haas' generosity?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

e: alternately: Mexico City

Not a realistic option because of the lovely economy, security concerns and any team would struggle mightily to find corporate sponsorship.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ignoring that it will be water world in 100 years, what about New Orleans?

Both the Rangers and Astros have territorial claims to the entirety of Louisiana.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For reference, here's where each area sits in terms of the teams that have territorial rights:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Imagine living in Iowa and being blacked out from six different teams, none of which are even in your state.

Mediacom actually carries CSN Chicago (and WGN America, even though they don't carry Cubs games anymore), so it wasn't hard to watch Cubs games there.

I'm just happy that Madison is very comfortably 40 miles outside the Cubs' blackout zone, so the only time I can't watch them is if they're on ESPN or playing the Brewers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dubuque is a great city and I will fight all who say otherwise. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RisqueBarber posted:

Des Moines is beautiful.

Honestly everything from Des Moines to the east is beautiful. The Great River Road is really something to see.

Holy poo poo, though, gently caress everything west of Des Moines. About two miles past the city on I-80 you won't see anything but flat lands and lovely roadstop "towns" until Omaha.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ego symphonic posted:

Seems kinda nice tbh. Cheaper than San Diego at least.

This is true; I lived in Dubuque for eight years and by the end I was paying something like $515 for half of a house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevyn posted:

Welp looks like all the territory is already claimed, no more expansion teams

Honestly expansion probably isn't a great idea, but relocation could be. But then again, good luck convincing teams to give up their guaranteed territory income.

Really, there should be contraction, but the union would justifiably throw a goddamn fit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Is MLB.tv absolute garbage on PS4 for anyone else? I'm having to restart the stream every minute or so. Been like that all season.

Yeah it's pretty godawful this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Price got fired this early because the Reds are 3-15, which is like the worst start for the franchise since like the Great Depression or some poo poo. He isn't to blame for the roster but when the team is that poo poo coming out of the gate some symbolic action has to be taken and it is usually firing the manager. He was gone at the end of the year anyways.

I think the baffling thing is less "why fire Bryan Price now" and more "holy gently caress, why is Jim Riggleman still employed, and why is he now managing a team again?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Kris Bryant left the game

that's gotta hurt!

You can't really tell in the gif, but his helmet did a full 360-degree rotation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Javy Baez confirmed that his verbal slapfight with LaMahieu yesterday was over sign-stealing, which is why he kept on standing in front of him and blocking his view to the plate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sab0921 posted:

This is pretty fascinating to me - on why baseball fandom is so old and there are no baseball players in the general public consciousness like Griffey, Bonds, Jeter and A-Rod.

MLB marketing does a god awful job of promoting its stars - Kershaw and Trout should probably be national level stars at this point. If the argument is that their boring white dudes, so are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and they carried the NFL for a decade.

It's because baseball, far more than any other sport, is so incredibly up its rear end about the history of the game and it being the National Pastime and all that. That's at least half the reason there's so much hand-wringing over the steroid era, because people cling to their fantasies of the Great White Men of yore being the roots of baseball (and you'll get a look of derision from them if you dare to point out that amphetamines probably helped Mickey Mantle a hell of a lot more than shooting Winstrol into his rear end helped Neifi fuckin' Perez).

Edit: I mean, poo poo, it feels like half the "during this break in the action" clips on MLB.tv are showing stuff from the '80s and '90s. And Thom Brennaman talking to that loving bird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Just curious why it's still critical if he's stable and talking. Like can something bad still happen?

He could literally be awake and talking to doctors one moment and then bleeding out of his brain again a moment later. When it comes to a ruptured brain aneurysm like this, he basically needs 24 / 7 monitoring for several weeks. They need time to determine causes, risk factors, exactly what happened, etc.

He has a long way to go before he's out of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nmfree posted:

There are still people who don't think he's lying about his age?

There were some Cards fans around here maybe two or three years ago who would flip poo poo at the idea coming up.

• Locked thread