Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

How are you not a doctor at this point? That's eleven years.

Brain problems, iirc.

Also, I gotta ask this. Does there exist a person in every office that everyone loving loathes (except their immediate superior) and doesn't get the loving hint to change how they act?

Because if this gently caress blows their goddamn nose while standing behind me again, I'm going to catch charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Brain problems, iirc.

Also, I gotta ask this. Does there exist a person in every office that everyone loving loathes (except their immediate superior) and doesn't get the loving hint to change how they act?

Because if this gently caress blows their goddamn nose while standing behind me again, I'm going to catch charges.

You mean like a dumb as rocks, rude, smelly, obese, knuckle-dragging redneck grandma that is not nearly intelligent enough to work in an accounting department, let alone operate a computer? Yeah.

If I have to show her how to set a print area in Excel one more time, I'm throwing her loving computer off the balcony down onto the showfloor.

E: Although it is funny when she occasionally manages to downsize and move a window so the max/min and close buttons aren't visible on her desktop and she gets frustrated because she can't figure out out to drag the screen back. :laugh:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 24, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Unfortunately, ever since going to Oreo, it's just been a lot slower. Even after a factory reset (which included flashing the stock ROM). It also had the fairly well known mic issue; it was bad enough that I just used it exclusively on speakerphone or bluetooth. Tried disabling the noise cancellation mic in build.prop; people could then hear me, but they said I echoed badly.

I really miss the beautiful display on it (the PH-1 is a typical LCD panel), but the speed of the PH-1 (Snapdragon 835 + 3GB RAM) almost makes up for the lackluster display.

It did see much heavier usage than a typical phone, which is probably why the battery went to poo poo so much quicker.

Yeah I don't run anything very intensive on mine so maybe I just never noticed but it seems fine to me. Haven't had any other issues with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/24/every-nintendo-switch-can-be-hacked-and-the-tools-just-went-public/#5806e048568e

Pretty big hole in the Switch, I wonder if this will open up a new level of modding like the glory days of the original modded Xbox.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 24, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle...s/#102acd964689

Pretty big hole in the Switch, I wonder if this will open up a new level of modding like the glory days of the original modded Xbox.

I'll just assume you meant to link this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/24/every-nintendo-switch-can-be-hacked-and-the-tools-just-went-public/#4ac39d4b568e

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Indeed. Fixed!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Phone chat: currently using a OnePlus 3t on Project Fi. While the phone lacks the radio to interface with Sprint's towers T-Mobile has such good coverage where I am that it really doesn't matter.

Phone is plenty fast for a year plus old flagship - uses the same Snapdragon 821 SoC as the Pixel/Pixel XL with more RAM, and if my previous track record is anything to go by I should get a good two to three years use out of it before replacement becomes necessary.

Best part is between owning my phone outright and keeping my data usage under control my bill rarely exceeds $40/month.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Brain problems, iirc.

You mean like a guy who asks you basic questions about his job (which he's had about as long as I've been alive) and then throws his hands up and says 'whatever' at your answer, constantly makes ridiculous messes in the shop, doesn't clean up and then forgets he made them while bitching about what a broken down old shithole our (built in 2012) shop is, pulls his chair back 8-15 feet when he sits down to lunch and then loudly open-mouth chews and talks behind you with a mouth full of sandwich, puts a respirator on and throws the extractor fans on full bore if you so much as fart in the shop but gets mad when you do the same while he's gassing you out running the one pre-emissions truck (which is also not running great and burns your drat eyes if you run it more than a few seconds inside) we have without so much as cracking a door, uses a whole bag of rags (normally a 3 week supply) and a couple gallons of brakleen to do 3 wheel seals, is constantly salty at the fact that we call parts based on manufacturers' and legislated specs (with reasonable leeway for stuff likely to wear out before next inspection or tires that won't be retreadable if run to legal limits) rather than 'I don't like this part, load the shotgun' and just greets every day and everyone he meets with a downtrodden, gently caress my life attitude?

No idea what you're on about, bud.

(E: actually this guy isn't as bad as a couple of the drivers but he's the one I see every day so, top of mind and all that)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 24, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

iwentdoodie posted:

Ours is the guy who used to be married to the boss's sister. But he's not anymore. But he still has 100% job security for some reason. He's stubborn and super uptight and the only right way to do anything is his way. He's the kind of guy that people want to fist fight on their first day here. Then if you cross him he goes full passive-aggressive mode and throws sideways insults that he can pretend weren't about you if you call him out on it.

We all are used to it so we just humor him now but he's definitely a roadblock on the way to a non-dysfunctional team.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Larrymer posted:

Drug problems, brain problems, indecision about my major, hanging out with bad dudes; it took me a long time to purge my social circle of bad influences to the point I could realize how much they were hurting me, both directly and in terms of saying "gently caress college we'll go be pot judges in Amsterdam lol". Then I decided to change careers after finally going back and getting my first associate's degree (in mechanicking, lol sears auto) only to find out exactly 0 schools outside the Great Lakes area offer a bachelor's degree that follows on from an A.A.S. in Automotive Technology, so I basically had to go back and start my A.A. from scratch before I could get a bachelor's in anything.

Plus, the core class flowchart has a lot of really long prerequisite chains, to where if you fail any single one it pushes back completion; there's one that goes from College Algebra to Senior Design 2 that's about 11 semesters long best case. I laugh when people in other majors go "Oh I'm considering taking summer courses to get a little ahead"; for us it's not optional, the department presumes you to be taking summer classes every year until your senior year, and actually has a mandatory minimum summer credit requirement. Also some cases of multiple parallel prereqs, some of which were offered at my state college and some not, so I got into a state where I could only take a couple classes when I first transferred to the big school, so that threw me even farther off the "optimized course path" and made it take even longer.

Trust me when I say I am acutely aware of how long it's been.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Larrymer posted:

Took me 7 and a half. A degree's a degree.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Larrymer posted:

Hey man, a lot of people spend seven eleven years in college

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Drug problems, brain problems, indecision about my major, hanging out with bad dudes; it took me a long time to purge my social circle of bad influences to the point I could realize how much they were hurting me, both directly and in terms of saying "gently caress college we'll go be pot judges in Amsterdam lol". Then I decided to change careers after finally going back and getting my first associate's degree (in mechanicking, lol sears auto) only to find out exactly 0 schools outside the Great Lakes area offer a bachelor's degree that follows on from an A.A.S. in Automotive Technology, so I basically had to go back and start my A.A. from scratch before I could get a bachelor's in anything.

Plus, the core class flowchart has a lot of really long prerequisite chains, to where if you fail any single one it pushes back completion; there's one that goes from College Algebra to Senior Design 2 that's about 11 semesters long best case. I laugh when people in other majors go "Oh I'm considering taking summer courses to get a little ahead"; for us it's not optional, the department presumes you to be taking summer classes every year until your senior year, and actually has a mandatory minimum summer credit requirement. Also some cases of multiple parallel prereqs, some of which were offered at my state college and some not, so I got into a state where I could only take a couple classes when I first transferred to the big school, so that threw me even farther off the "optimized course path" and made it take even longer.

Trust me when I say I am acutely aware of how long it's been.

And yet after all the trouble and strife and roadblocks, you're getting a BSME. Congratulations my dude. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm super proud you made it through. Almost time to celebrate!

Just remember when you're applying for jobs, that you're willing to learn. The biggest mis-step with recent engineering grads is thinking they know everything when, in fact, they know mostly nothing about an entry level engineering job. Don't argue too much on salary at this point, but make sure a place is offering a decent wage. 60k seems to be the sweet spot for entry-level in any area not racked by COL adjustments.

All the managers are looking for from an entry-level engineer is a willingness to learn and a passion for the subject. Be that dude.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
That 60k number makes me cry a bit; 10 years out and I'm uncomfortably close to that.

But hell yeah, congratulations! I'm another BSME who had trouble getting through it for various reasons, but I found it's a hell of a lot better after college. Absorb things, and set yourself apart by being willing to figure stuff out, but also don't be afraid to ask people for help - quietly struggling when you could have just gotten a hand up doesn't impress.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
^^^^ Its your location, probably. 60-75k is pretty standard starting salary where I'm at. poo poo, the position I'm in technically wants a degree but hired me without due to practical experience. I didn't start much below that, and the offer with a degree is a touch over that.

The Door Frame posted:

Hey man, a lot of people spend seven eleven years in college

Bert Kreischer being the funniest and most notable example, considering they plagiarized his story and made a movie out of it (Van Wilder.)

But yeah, congrats enourmo. I know you hate FL, but there really are a poo poo ton of jobs here right now, especially on the gulf coast. Now just don't gently caress up your finals.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This crazy website all about how modern automobile steering and suspension causes autism and arthritis got posted in AI a couple years back: http://www.miketomich.com/

The F Plus podcast recently read selections from it during a live event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwChcYofFp0

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

iwentdoodie posted:

^^^^ Its your location, probably. 60-75k is pretty standard starting salary where I'm at. poo poo, the position I'm in technically wants a degree but hired me without due to practical experience. I didn't start much below that, and the offer with a degree is a touch over that.

Yeah, 60-75k is a pretty standard starting around here too; I really do need to transition to an employer where I'm not getting as boned.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

You mean like a guy who asks you basic questions about his job (which he's had about as long as I've been alive) and then throws his hands up and says 'whatever' at your answer, constantly makes ridiculous messes in the shop, doesn't clean up and then forgets he made them while bitching about what a broken down old shithole our (built in 2012) shop is, pulls his chair back 8-15 feet when he sits down to lunch and then loudly open-mouth chews and talks behind you with a mouth full of sandwich, puts a respirator on and throws the extractor fans on full bore if you so much as fart in the shop but gets mad when you do the same while he's gassing you out running the one pre-emissions truck (which is also not running great and burns your drat eyes if you run it more than a few seconds inside) we have without so much as cracking a door, uses a whole bag of rags (normally a 3 week supply) and a couple gallons of brakleen to do 3 wheel seals, is constantly salty at the fact that we call parts based on manufacturers' and legislated specs (with reasonable leeway for stuff likely to wear out before next inspection or tires that won't be retreadable if run to legal limits) rather than 'I don't like this part, load the shotgun' and just greets every day and everyone he meets with a downtrodden, gently caress my life attitude?

No idea what you're on about, bud.

(E: actually this guy isn't as bad as a couple of the drivers but he's the one I see every day so, top of mind and all that)

Jesus Christ I'd have arranged an accident.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This crazy website all about how modern automobile steering and suspension causes autism and arthritis got posted in AI a couple years back: http://www.miketomich.com/

The F Plus podcast recently read selections from it during a live event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwChcYofFp0

What in the actual gently caress?
This guy makes my brain hurt.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Jesus Christ I'd have arranged an accident.

Why is it assholes like that keep their job, but I get fired the minute I yell at a user for doing something remarkably stupid, despite my overall work history and reviews being above average, even excellent? (It was a bad day. I regret losing control like that.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

don't be afraid to ask people for help - quietly struggling when you could have just gotten a hand up doesn't impress.

This for sure.

Other tidbits:

All your degree proves is that you have the ability to learn.
You aren't expected to know everything on day one.
Keep expanding your tool box.
Part of being resourceful is knowing who to ask for help when you need it, too.

When I graduated in '07 50-60k was about average starting for where I was (Ohio). Now I think you can do 60k or a little better.

also mekilljoydammit: start looking for jobs, holy cow

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Adiabatic posted:

Took me 7 and a half. A degree's a degree.

:hfive:

Took the better part of a decade for me as well as I transitioned from a physics major to electrical engineering. Glad to be done school for now. Had thoughts of going back for masters buuut stipend vs salary is a real bummer.

Good job Enourmo, final stretch!

(And I still giggle at your devils lettuce title every time I see it.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah around 60k is what I'm expecting, tbf I can live comfortably on that for a while while I figure out what comes next.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Absorb things, and set yourself apart by being willing to figure stuff out, but also don't be afraid to ask people for help - quietly struggling when you could have just gotten a hand up doesn't impress.

God I've already been on the frustrating side of this numerous times; people insistently volunteering on some aspect of the project as their sole responsibility, nary a peep all semester, then literally the night before we need it "Hey uh I'm having some trouble with this, idk if it's gonna work". Making things way more complicated than they need to be, building things way too flimsy to do the one thing they must do, etc.

Bajaha posted:

(And I still giggle at your devils lettuce title every time I see it.)

I've had a custom title voucher code that someone got me right after that whole thing went down, I've just been too lazy and/or uninspired to find a suitable replacement to spend it on :v:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 24, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
FL is not a great place for skilled workers as a rule o thumb.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darchangel posted:

What in the actual gently caress?
This guy makes my brain hurt.

I love his claim that 60s and 70s cars had better suspensions and their steering was effortless. Because if there's one thing everyone loved about landbarges it was how well they turned.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy poo poo, I've not seen an amazingly tinfoil'ish display like that since the early 2000's.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Congrats Enourmo

On the case of annoying coworkers it was my immediate boss when I did mental healthcare work. He either couldn't or wouldn't climb in the trenches and work with staff and patients even at crisis points and so had no real understanding of the patients needs, but at the same time tried to micromanage every aspect of care from the office. He also used management speak all the drat time to try and close people down or change a subject without dealing with what was said, it got drat weird because the "moving on now.." and the "following on from that.." got so predictable and it was always in the same cult like tone and diction. Creepy little man.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Larrymer posted:

This for sure.

Other tidbits:

All your degree proves is that you have the ability to learn.
You aren't expected to know everything on day one.
Keep expanding your tool box.
Part of being resourceful is knowing who to ask for help when you need it, too.

When I graduated in '07 50-60k was about average starting for where I was (Ohio). Now I think you can do 60k or a little better.

All of this. A bit of a secret that I've found is that all of those wonderful things you learned in college are the "right way" but most of the time in industry there doesn't seem to be time for that. There may be a lot of learning how to cut to the chase on stuff, if you get my drift.

Enourmo posted:

God I've already been on the frustrating side of this numerous times; people insistently volunteering on some aspect of the project as their sole responsibility, nary a peep all semester, then literally the night before we need it "Hey uh I'm having some trouble with this, idk if it's gonna work". Making things way more complicated than they need to be, building things way too flimsy to do the one thing they must do, etc.

Good, you know the other side then. Asking for help was the hardest thing for me, professionally... due to brainstuff, I got through college without asking for any help from anyone ever (which is multiply dumb as I was living at home and MY DAD IS AN ENGINEER but oh well) and ... it left me with a good skillset to figure stuff out, but bad habits on the idea that I always would have to do so in a vacuum.

Larrymer posted:

also mekilljoydammit: start looking for jobs, holy cow

Yeah, I'm way ahead of you... I think being in R&D roles means I don't fit into normal HR boxes though, or something. I'm having a weird time trying to get anywhere with new jobs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oil change done, interview at 4 (bullshit warehouse gig but hey, practice interview) then grocery shopping and dinner with the wife.

Good day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Ours is the guy who used to be married to the boss's sister. But he's not anymore. But he still has 100% job security for some reason. He's stubborn and super uptight and the only right way to do anything is his way. He's the kind of guy that people want to fist fight on their first day here. Then if you cross him he goes full passive-aggressive mode and throws sideways insults that he can pretend weren't about you if you call him out on it.

We all are used to it so we just humor him now but he's definitely a roadblock on the way to a non-dysfunctional team.

One good thing about my job is I'm pretty much paid to be the rear end in a top hat so nobody has a problem with me calling out other employees for being idiots, I even verbally abused the bosses son for being a worthless poo poo stain and his dad didn't say anything because he knows it's true but mommy works there too and he's a mommas boy. He got fired after claiming sexual harassment when a house keeper brushed up against his rear end on accident, saying he was going to sue and own the hotel. Gotta love nepotism.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

When i told an American friend how much I make as a qualified, experienced engineer in the UK, her face was pretty much :staredog:.

freelop posted:

Hey does anyone else need the hacksaw after I'm done with my legs?
Kei cars actually have a surprising amount of room in them, though a 12" steering wheel helps a lot.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, I'm way ahead of you... I think being in R&D roles means I don't fit into normal HR boxes though, or something. I'm having a weird time trying to get anywhere with new jobs.

Regional headhunters are great about this. Aerotek or similar will get you in front of the right people, and they want to because the employer hiring you pays them a finder's fee.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

When i told an American friend how much I make as a qualified, experienced engineer in the UK, her face was pretty much :staredog:.

In the UK I would probably make 2/3 of what I make in the greater Boston area doing software engineering work. Then my family ask why I bought a house here and said I am not planning to go back to the UK.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

In the UK I would probably make 2/3 of what I make in the greater Boston area doing software engineering work. Then my family ask why I bought a house here and said I am not planning to go back to the UK.
Yeah, I'm actually broadly ok with it, but it's always interesting to see the predictions/expectations from the American side of things.

Just watched episode 1 of The Terror, which BT made available free on Youtube just for today. I liked it, wouldn't mind watching more... but it's apparently exclusive to BT internet. Not just another "sign up for our £X a month video streaming service (which itself irritates me), but exclusive to having a BT broadband package. Hahaha... No. :fuckoff:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that was a pretty good interview!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Meek Mill is free. :toot:

And hey Rhyno -- the psycho that played Carmageddon in Toronto yesterday was an incel.
https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/7xd3v4/toronto-van-attack-suspects-facebook-page-invoked-incel-rebellion

quote:

“Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt. 4chan please. C23249161,” reads the post. “The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthrow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”
loving cringe.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wrar posted:

FL is not a great place for skilled workers as a rule o thumb.

This view is part of why salaries here are so good right now. Unemployment is low, and people can move anywhere. So most places have upped salaries significantly.

With the cost of living (outside the giant metro areas) it's not hard to be very comfortable right now.

It may change, but the current market here is very friendly for people looking for a job because everywhere is hurting for qualified people.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You'd think so anyways. There still seems to be a lot of people out there who still think it's 2008 and can offer garbage wages.

That and assholes who try to rule by fear while managing. It's like, bro, as a tech it's not hard to find a job, I can have a new one by the end of the week. And yet, places still wanna treat their workers like garbage.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress I had a slow as gently caress day at the office today. Truck went in for a seasonal tire swap, of course it took 6 hours at the place next door instead of 2. Anyway, I took the time to organize all the mismatched fleet tires out in the warehouse. I found 16 loving dryrotted spares of varying brands, sizes and wear. My manager walks in, I show him the pile of tires and he looks at them and tells me "there's lots of tread left on some of these, don't throw them out, we woulda used these back on the farm!". I marked them all with grease pen and put them in the furthest corner.

Holy poo poo though, I can't believe they'd put lovely dry rotted bottom-tier tires on a work truck that drives around all day, especially now that summer's coming up and we're gonna be seeing a lot more highway driving. Personally I would (and have) refused to drive unsafe vehicles (it's funny how when you offer to helpfully fill out a Near Miss form after noticing dry rot on your tires you get new ones) but some of the other guys don't wanna rock the boat. One guy had brakes so lovely when I borrowed his truck I drove it to the service center and then told the office I wasn't working that day until I got a truck with brakes, when he brought it up with the manager earlier he was told "oh yeah it's just a defect or something, the brakes were just done" whatever the gently caress that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

You'd think so anyways. There still seems to be a lot of people out there who still think it's 2008 and can offer garbage wages.

That and assholes who try to rule by fear while managing. It's like, bro, as a tech it's not hard to find a job, I can have a new one by the end of the week. And yet, places still wanna treat their workers like garbage.

It's the people that tolerate it that make the problem worse, there's just so many that put up with the bullshit because they don't think they can find a job anywhere else so they get treated like poo poo.

It's not just Florida though it's like that anywhere you go, I've been here for over 25 years and have managed to weed out lovely employers until I find a decent one.

• Locked thread