Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, it looks like a fun dumb movie at worst (like the first Transformers), but if the kid puts on the predator gear and uses it I'm giving up on movies forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I loved Predator 2 as a kid as it was just more insane poo poo with the Predator monster.

This new dreck just cannot nail loving anything. It's a ruined franchise.

I don't remember Predator 2 well enough to comment but I think Predator was lightning in a bottle and the franchise has the problem of "no one remembers why the first one was good." It was a bunch of 80s buff dudes in the jungle going to gently caress up some central americans with the suspense of "oh poo poo what is patiently hunting and killing them?" Everything after has been generic monster horror movies with no suspense. Not to say movie franchises can't evolve to become totally unrecognizable and still be good (Fast and the Furious) but they're called Predators drat it, why aren't they sneaking up all invisible-like?

Hopefully the trailer is just showing the action bits and there's plenty of stalking prey, but I'm not optimistic.

Still probably a fun movie though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

What's your beef with Elvis

(trailer looks boring)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

That trailer just looks like it's jerking Elvis and Elvis fans off. It's like the music equivalent to those fan documentaries about Back to the Future or whatever that are just people talking about how great the subject matter is with no angle or insight or point of view on the history of the subject.

It seemed to have very little to do with Elvis at all, and mostly just used his car as a set and his life as a symbol for the real focus of the film, how America used to be great and now is a bloated fat has-been that is about to die on a toilet.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Yeah but Elvis wasn't racist, and even Chuck D has since admitted that :colbert:

Related, here is a picture I took a few years ago of Public Enemy as they recited the Elvis bit in Memphis to a crowd of white people raising their fists, a few hundred yards from a statue built in 1954 for "a very worthy negro" who saved a bunch of white folks from a sinking ship.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The pettiest John Wayne story is how he wrote a whiny letter to Rex Stout to personally inform him that he was no longer going to read any Nero Wolfe novels after The Doorbell Rang because he was just SO OFFENDED that it featured Wolfe outsmarting the FBI by exposing them spying on American citizens and then making a fool of J. Edgar Hoover.

Lol. I thought he was a lovely actor as soon as I was old enough to have opinions about him, and any time I hear something about him it's just more about how he was a lovely person in real life too.

No argument here, gently caress John Wayne (and that dumb trailer, which ironically he probably would've had a conniption about)

Friend fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 30, 2018

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

What a world we live in where a new Transformers movie looks good and Wreck It Ralph 2 looks bad.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Clipperton posted:

if it's a sequel to "halloween" why is it called "halloween"

because they both take place on halloween

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is it just me or does this sound like it was recorded on a phone in a theater?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wow how did they gently caress up the tone so bad with that. It switches so hard between emotional drama to goofy whimsical poo poo, and the violence goes from "horrifying American History X" to "haha it's like Tarantino but with dolls" that I wonder how bad it is in the actual movie.

It's a cross-dresser who was nearly killed by bigots and uses dolls as personal therapy to create art, this really shouldn't be hard.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I've only ever heard of Teen Titans in the context of a children's cartoon, and then another cartoon that my nephew said was even more childish. So, I guess what my question is, who is the target audience for this neck-snapping bloodfest?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Aw man I thought you meant the other kind of gangsters, that's a movie I'd see. Crips vs Cryptids.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Never saw this posted, but I saw Thunder Road last night. Trailer is awesome, movie is awesome, but holy smokes do they not match tonally at all. I was wondering how it could possibly be a comedy; they basically edited all the funny bits out for the trailer, like when someone edits The Shining to look like a sappy family drama.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Gallatin posted:

I suspect that was intentional, it's based on a short that is basically the prologue and the first movie by the director/writer/star. It is great!

edit: his name is Jim Cummings, the youtube acct that posted the linked trailer is his.

Yeah I just don't understand why. My wife didn't want to go see it because she thought she'd cry too much. She never cried, but I ended up snorting embarrassingly loudly from laughter. One of the funniest bits in the movie is in the trailer, but they just cut the punchline so it looks dramatic.

Don't get me wrong, I loving loved it and so did my wife. Everyone should see it if they can, and then come back and tell me why the trailer was so tonally different.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Having Pikachu come off like a pg-13 Deadpool certainly didn't hurt either.

I thought I didn't like Deadpool because of the "flapjacking douchecanoe!" poo poo, but this trailer made me realize that I just don't like Ryan Reynolds. He's got a weird snarky smugness I guess? I don't remember how the joke started but Danny Devito (or anyone with a deep raspy voice) would've been a better choice. Main Character hearing that while everyone else hears "Pika pika!" would be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_44fh_xrpE&t=68s

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This movie is going to break every box office record in the universe and won't hurt Ryan Reynold's career one bit and I'll probably still enjoy it, I just don't think he's very good or funny. I mean, the trailer has a dumb Will Smith joke/meme in it, and even Will Smith delivers the line better.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Ghostbusters: Answer The Call
Ghostbusters 3
Ghostbusters: Cross The Timestreams
Ghostbusters v. Men In Black
Ghostbusters 5: Lost In New York
Ghostbusters: Answer The Call 3
Ghostbusters Apocalypse
Ghostbusters Apocalypse Part 2: Valentines Day

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wendell posted:

It better not be all rehashes of poo poo we’ve seen before a million times.

yeah but now they'll be reimagined for modern times!

*civilization collapses, guy walks out of vault.*
"Ah, finally time to read all my tweets."
*drops phone and shatters screen*
"nooo! there was time now!"

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Looks bad but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Hola, goons! Can you show me where we need to click below to play the new trailer I posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTtJjV852c

Even my niece was too old for Dora the Explorer so I don't know or care about it, but I do like the cartoony nature of the character just being from "the jungle" like that's a place that everyone knows about. I don't think George Of The Jungle even did that.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Alex Winter looks like he's wearing lovely age makeup from back to the future 2. Do neither of them age but only one of them tries to hide it?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was able to make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBWoa4q8gg

"These pads are now clearly cloth"

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Mr. Mime's shoulders aren't cloth, they're clearly kickballs and if you don't see why that makes sense for his character design then I don't know what to say :colbert:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

In crazy-conspiracy-land, I could imagine the movie makers leaking the early poster/design doc/bad trailer to create intentional bad PR so that when they reveal the real movie they've been working on, everyone loves it in comparison.

Kinda like the conspiracy behind the New Coke -> Coke Classic relaunch.

That was my first thought too. Not saying it was an intentional conspiracy, but they can only go up from here. Also the end of the trailer has a completely different, much more Robotnik-esque look for Jim with giant mushrooms in the background so I wondered if this was the human-world version of Sonic and he would look more normal when he teleported back to his world, but they were saving that for trailer 2.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, there's a definite ... lack of energy to that clip. Smith is mailing it in vocally, there's tons of color and pretty costuming but no effort to show it off, the camera isn't doing anything, it's all just kinda there.

Yeah I thought the same, but I just watched the original and it was a lot less energetic than I remember until the end when they start listing his assets, so maybe the energy builds after the clip cuts off? That said, Will Smith definitely sucks at singing and can't give any personality to the character like Robin Williams. I want to hear Demi Adejuyigbe take a stab at it because that would probably be unironically a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA&t=40s

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

That's completely fair, but I would argue (perhaps unfairly) this isn't going to be compared against the actual original so much as what everybody remembers the original to be. I had the same experience going back to the old one. Was totally blown away by how tame it was compared to my memory of it. That doesn't make this new one seem any less dead, though, and a lot of folks aren't going to be bothered to go back and check anyway.

Yeah for sure on being compared to memory vs reality; I originally had typed "they may have been limited by animation but there's no reason why they couldn't make it more exciting now" but figured I could give them the benefit of the doubt since it's only the first minute of the song and I can picture it building up and getting better. Unfortunately for them, even if that is the case, what they are showing looks bad and I don't know why they released it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

There must've been a couple references to it on Cartoon Network in the late 90s when they were digging into their back catalogue (before they figured out stuff like Sealab 2021) because I definitely recognize the theme and kinda recognize the characters but that's about it.

So, uh, who's the target audience?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Chernobyl dog scene but its the cats from Cats instead.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

He hasn't really done that recently. He's on one or two per year now.
2001 was the crazy Miike era.

edit: The official Jojo Rabbit upload looks a lot cleaner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

This looks like Mel Brooks directed Die Brücke

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really wanted that third movie they hinted at in Legacy.

I too loved Legacy, but the only "hint" I can remember is the thing about her coming into the real world (which was my only gripe with the movie but whatever). Was there more to it? I haven't seen it in probably 5 years

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I really want to be excited for this, but Pixar's output has been pretty poo poo for a while now. Like, in the last decade, they've had Coco, Brave, Toy Story 3 (technically over a decade ago, but only by like 2 weeks), and a bunch of poo poo. (Inside Out was okay.) Toy Story 4 was aggressively bad, and Onward was just mediocre in a way Disney movies used to be, before Pixar came along and broke the mold. Now...meh. Like, Cars 2, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, and the aforementioned Toy Story 4 and Onward. What the hell happened? Admittedly, I did not see Incredibles 2, because I heard it wasn't great, and I couldn't do that to myself.

Also, way to bury the lede with that trailer.

Wait what was wrong with Coco?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm interested in Raya, but the fact that it's Disney trying to do something with nonwhite cultures is just making me think "okay, how are they gonna gently caress up this time?"

Like I think Moana is the literal only time they've attempted that, in their entire history as a company, and not stepped on every single possible rake

e: I guess Black Panther too, since that's Disney, and Princess and the Frog (which they sent out to die and generally seem to want to memory-hole, so I don't even really want to count it) and I guess the original Mulan isn't actively offensive but for how many movies Disney's made that's not a very long list of non-racist-as-hell ones

Well they did post (and then delete) a video for "healthy" Princess and the Frog gumbo that had kale and quinoa but no roux. That was pretty hosed up.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Despite having "died" during the course of the third film, Trinity made a return to the series in the official continuation, The Matrix Online. Taking on a major role in the game's final chapters it is revealed both she and Neo are actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces. Originally developed by The Oracle, this program is called The Biological Interface Program and is strongly sought after by the Oligarchy as a means to transfer their digital minds to physical bodies instead of the mechanical androids they had developed.

Without a physical form, Trinity takes the appearance of a floating figure made of golden code when within The Matrix. Initially distraught with her condition, she eventually finds solace in the fact her existence is the key to finally rebooting the Matrix and erasing Oligarch override control once and for all.

She ultimately meets her end in the Source of The Matrix, merging with a human inside the core of the Machine code base itself, combining the three core groups; Man, Machine and Program. This initializes the final reboot sequence, removing the Oligarch control and allowing the Machines to finally exist without fear of cruel masters.

I understand the Metal Gear Solid series about as much as I will ever understand anything that came after the first matrix movie. The difference is, I don't have to know what the patriots are to know that tying weather balloons to a horse is fun, but this is just :psyboom:

Still hard not to get hyped for it though.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

spanky the dolphin posted:

Does this shot here look like a WIP to anyone else? Like the stuff outside the frame in the middle is just the VFX overlay without footage behind it.

This feels like someone/thing is watching him, so the stuff inside the frame is what is in the frame of the camera, and the stuff outside the frame is "unrendered" like a video game? Might tie in with the clips of the previous movies being projected on a wall, like Matrix 1-3 is all a meta thing or alternate universe/matrix server. I was about to say I might be overthinking it, but it's the matrix.

Jedit posted:

As for whoever it was said the movie wasn't stuck in 1999 - I beg to differ. The Wachowskis left all their creative talent there.

I think it was on something awful but somebody once said "everything after the matrix 1 makes me believe they really did steal the story from that lady" and :hmmyes:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Speaking of Cats, was it just the lighting or did her face look deepfaked on at the beginning to anyone else?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A teaser trailer for a movie still being filmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQWopZDEEY

INT- 1989 BATCAVE

The Flash 3 looks in awe at a large computer station with several small CRT monitors.
The Flash 1 pulls away a dusty a sheet revealing the Batmobile from the Tim Burton films.

The Flash 1: No waaay!

The silhouette of Batman appears.

Batman: You break it, you buy it.

George Clooney steps out of the shadows and smiles directly into the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't the second movie notoriously bad.

I remember telling my wife "it's crazy that there's been a new harry potter out for months and we haven't watched it yet."
She corrected me, we had watched it, but it made so little of an impression that I forgot about it entirely.