Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Shield on Blu-Ray in November! gently caress yes plz!

I hope this gives it a second wind among the public. It was overshadowed by The Wire for much of its run. What a fantastic show, and it had one of the greatest endings ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

david_a posted:

I mean, The Wire is better, but The Shield is easily number two in whatever genre you want to lump those two in. They really did nail that ending.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that The Shield was better, only that even when you are incredibly good, you are going to be overshadowed when the GOAT is on at the same time.

Christ, that ending. The last four or so episodes are as good as it gets. They managed to make virtually every insane, lovely, berserk thing that the Strike Team/Mackey did over five seasons actually matter and come into play. And Shane's final arc was loving devastating.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 29, 2018

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Timby posted:

I'll never forget seeing the first movie in a theater in high school with my best friend and when we got out to the parking lot, I had the most hysterical laughing fit for like five solid minutes, people were staring at me, I just could not stop laughing. It was like my reaction to all the absurdity I had just seen came flying out of me. I still have that one; I wonder if 3D is streaming anywhere.

I have no shame over loving those movies, they possess a weird kind of genius. Using fast forward when (in)appropriate, I watched 1 & 2 with my seven year old son a few weeks ago and we both laughed ourselves stupid. My brother said that seeing them in the theater was probably the most fun he ever had seeing a movie with an audience.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

My grandfather was one of the salesman in Salesman, so hoping that one gets reissued on blu. I never met my grandfather so it’d be cool to see him in high res :shrug: it would probably make my mom cry though lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe2Uoi9Cx-E

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

It really can't be understated how much of a revelation that new transfer is.

Jesus, on my lovely sub-1080p laptop monitor those look astounding.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CRAYON posted:

Since we're so off topic anyway, here is my desk at work:

Here's some of my 8 year old's Godzillas and related.

We were in Target the other day and they had the atomic blast Shin Godzilla. He's going to flip at Christmas. I have to try to keep him out of that area of the store so he doesn't see it. For $20-30, the NECAs are a hell of a good value. Very fun.
http://necaonline.com/2018/06/godzilla-12-head-to-tail-action-figure-2016-shin-godzilla-atomic-blast/

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

I really liked filmstruck, but I hope this signals the end of every studio trying to start their own service and maybe means the disney one will be aborted.

The Disney one is going to make more money than God has.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Now that I was pointed to the right thread because I'm a doofus...

I was reading a review of the Batman Begins UHD and came up on this:

quote:

The original version of this review incorrectly stated that this UHD was derived from the camera negative. That assertion was based on incorrect information supplied by Warner Brothers. It has now been confirmed from multiple sources that the 4K/HDR master was derived from an interpositive, at Christopher Nolan's express instruction and contrary to Warner's standard policy, which provides that 4K scans should utilize the existing element with the greatest resolution.

Why would Nolan, or any director for that matter, order them to not use the camera negative for the transfer?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

pwn posted:

Probably something about the interpositive that's superior to the negative.

Ok, reading the Wiki on them, it makes more sense. But then it raises the question why WB always insists on the camera negative being used.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

Nolan prefers using interpositives because all the color timing is baked in and doesn't have to be re-done from scratch since he doesn't do digital intermediates. Another reason is likely that an interpositive will accurately replicate the look of a mint 70mm print in terms of grain structure. A lot of older films have to have some filtering applied because stuff starts to show up that never would have been visible in original prints because nobody projects a camera negative. Obviously not a concern for a newer film, but there's not really any quality loss from not using the camera negative. I believe Paul Thomas Anderson prefers to do the same for his films.

That makes a lot of sense, he locks in the original color timing thus preventing the ridiculous series of changed color timings we see with some films over the length of their home video existence.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

U might say their inventory got nuked

Demand must have hit a critical mass.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The one at my mall is still shockingly going strong.

Wait, Suncoast still exists...at all?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How is this man not getting stung until his flesh falls apart?

He might have used smoke to calm them down before the footage starts. Also, he's obviously working slower and more carefully than the speed of the video implies. Generally if you don't act stupid, bees will leave you alone. Not saying it's a good idea to do what he's doing, particularly if you don't have experience, but they aren't murder bugs.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

big boi posted:

https://shop.a24films.com/products/stop-making-sense-collectors-edition?variant=40138572431409

Welp I was waiting for this, but at $70 with shipping I'll take the old BD. The sound quality is probably hte same

Did I read it correctly that your extra bucks spent get you a loving booklet? That's it? JFC.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This isn't ready for mass-market prime time yet, but man, would it be cool to have an entire TV series in 4K on a single disc. Or all of a director's lifetime catalog.

https://www.techspot.com/news/101974-dvd-like-optical-disc-could-store-16-petabits.html

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Parallax posted:

If that's pinchcliffe grand prix that movie rules

From an image search I'd say that's definitely what it is.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I can easily buy someone saying they can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and 4K UHD. But if people say they sincerely can't tell the difference between DVD and, well, anything over it? If that's true, they need to get their eyes checked. Don't care about the difference? Fine. But no difference? Something is wrong.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most people don’t even notice when a streaming service isn’t actually streaming in full HD or when a YouTube clip has obvious pixelation. You’re vastly overestimating how much the average person gives a single poo poo about this kind of stuff.

Again, if they don't care about the difference that's one thing. That's my wife. She rolls her eyes if we decide we want to show one of our favorite movies to our son because she sees it on HBO/Max or whatever and I say, "No, I have that on 4K." But a couple of months ago, she wanted to watch Bring It On, which we only have on DVD and even she, who couldn't care less about having the best picture remarked about how godawful it looked. I'm saying that if you look at a DVD and a BR or UHD side by side or even one after the other, unless your viewing circumstances are incredibly bad, the difference is huge and anyone with functioning eyeballs should be able to see it whether they care about it or not.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

So DVD-style means the same size/height? Or UHD height but with the thick DVD spine? Because I don't have HfRO in any format and I'd be happy to upgrade BHC to 4K for $11 but even thought they'd fit, it would be irritating as hell. Out of all my blu-rays, ONE is DVD size and despite not being terribly anal about my shelving, it's stupid-looking.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

dorium posted:

It's a DVD case. height and thickness all the same just clear.

FFS. What is the possible motivation for this? I've never seen people crying out for DVD-sized cases for their UHDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

VoodooXT posted:

Uh, Little Big League is.... decent?

Little Big League is good dammit!