Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That list is a real wake-up call. Somehow I post more here than in the dedicated nazi-watch threads, even though this one is just nazi-watch-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Matthew Buck. He's another reviewer who has really grown into a unique voice with a specific field of stuff to review over the past few years. Pretty much everyone has, but I like to say positive things about people and I haven't seen him discussed a ton.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s just some poor-taste trolling. There are posters in this thread who knew him, so just keep that in mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s literally a textbook narcissist—like a Trump-level specimen of what a personality disorder looks like. He can’t see how this response is literally the worst thing he could do and doesn’t understand that reality is different from his rationalization of what happened, and that as a result he’s going to be further criticized and ridiculed. He just can’t let any criticism go.

It’s irresponsible to make observations like this, but it couldn’t be any clearer. Who could possibly think that document would fix anything?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably more like Channel Awesome revenue + youtube revenue is a living wage but youtube revenue alone isn't.

Bet there’s some bad news coming about Channel Awesome revenue though.

Especially if they can’t just limit themselves to just two horrible responses and have to do a video that’s at best going to turn out like the Trump pussy-grab video.

At worst it will be the parody video someone imagined above where they reenact what “really” happened by making their two actors play Holly Brown as a drooling yokel in a straw hat and overalls who can’t read a contract, or Lindsay in an ss uniform with the female symbol in place of the skulls.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just look at how easy it is to stop or slow the bleeding after stabbing yourself repeatedly. You can’t reverse damage or repair a relationship, but just by sincerely taking responsibility it is possible to just end it and then you can keep going.

And they couldn’t even do that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That seems designed to deflect criticism via distraction in a very Trumpy way. Let’s hope they’re not stupid and evil enough to have intentionally revealed his identity as some kind of return strike because—as Dan just said—their transgressions are basically just things that need a clear, good-faith apology to move on from. Maybe don’t potentially expose a teen victim to the internet swarm and cause who knows what else in an act that does nothing to address the original accusation that they ignored or covered for a rapist. The rapist’s identity is irrelevant.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least it seems like CA didn’t release this information themselves but were merely lazy in continuing to cover up things they had already covered up, not that it matters for the fresh nightmare this is going to cause anyone who ever contributed to CA.

Gamergate continues to pay awesome dividends.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My heart goes out to everyone who knew him. This would be extremely painful news in the best ("best") of circumstances.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Holy poo poo, this suddenly took a much darker turn than I expected. I was enjoying watching Channel Awesome go down in flames but I dunno if this is fun anymore.

It was never really fun. There were economic consequences for blameless people at every step of these events, and relationships strained or broken, and fresh waves of harassment, and fresh disclosures of real abuse. CA management is dumb and their responses have been unbelievable, but there has been a human cost to what has happened. Let's not ignore how it was already hard for everyone caught up in CA's bad choices.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abusers are in fact extremely good at hiding and rationalizing away their behavior. It’s normal for cases like these and partially how they implicitly or explicitly intimidate their victims into silence—it’s where part of the force of “no one will believe you” comes from.

Twice I’ve found out that a colleague was a rapist and both times I would never have thought of either if someone had told me I had a rapist as a coworker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ask him yourself if you're curious, don't make assumptions.

Speculation is probably the worst and most destructive outcome for something like that. His story is his to tell or not. Until then let’s let it be. I feel for him too—he was so young when he started. That seems like a theme with CA poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You're thinking of Irate Gamer, a clown of the highest order but never associated with Channel Awesome.

When JewWario committed suicide, Irate Gamer made a facebook post saying something along the lines of "the universe doesn't take kindly to those who cut their own time short" and that he feels bad for what JewWario has to now endure on the other side...or something along those lines.

Irate Gamer is definitely the type of person who would try to spin that into "I knew about his crimes", so I guess we'll see what happens.

Irate Gamer is a full-time ghost chaser now, I believe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am kind of tickled at the thought of CA internal discussions getting reduced to a sombre old friend taking things very seriously and stressing out at every step down into the abyss and a grinning British troll nobody even realized was there a month ago. It would be like if Groucho were in the bunker with Hitler.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is vidcon going to be weirder this year?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought you were a good mod, Lorne. I hope that without you this place doesn’t turn into those episodes of MASH after McLean Stevenson quit but before the Dragnet guy showed up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think laser swords would work like that either. How would they know when to stop coming out of the handle?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You’re talking about the official forums on the CA site? Jesus.

Are the people on the forums trying to destroy CA by posting illegal/host-prohibited things?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently Brad might be locked in due to the stupid game show contract. He's removed CA from his own site and is obviously trying to distance himself as much as possible.

EDIT: apparently he does still have a link to the old TGTWG domain on his site, but he has removed all association with them on youtube and twitter.

This is too close to the speculation game for me, but someone was looking for a contract lawyer in the Springfield area last night, right?

It would be too bad if the one thing those fucks did right was to entrap Brad’s immortal soul for all eternity. Especially (accidentally?) with that wretched game show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If anyone tries to rescue Brad from his contract, it should preferably involve a ragtag group of hairy, badly dubbed Italian men, preferably using some kind of homemade armored killdozer with like some buzzsaws and a flamethrower. Also it’s really racist and out of focus 20% of the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

It's not part of the goddamn forum rules that are being the link titled "Read the goddamn forum rules before posting!!!" that's right there every time one posts.

There was some discussion of your demodding in a qcs thread on mod feedback. I went there to try to stump for you, but the matter seems closed. I don’t really understand the reasons given for demodding you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is grotesquely comical how algorithms like that have entrenched and furthered systemic racism with such laser-like precision less than a decade after they first started coming into service. And it’s all of a piece with the human-driven colorblind racism behind poo poo like the war on drugs, as the machines literally can’t see race.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Faust looks amazing. This is one of the few Best of the Worst episodes that makes me want to get one of the movies. All Brian Yuzna movies come out the same by the last reel, I guess.

I wonder if he knows there are fetish clubs in his town that he could go to instead of making movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Bee posted:

Larry didn't just beat the game. He fought the secret final boss, and won.

We got a possible Channel Awesome kill screen comin’ up if anybody wants to see it. Channel Awesome kill screen comin’ up right here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Back in the day I tried to get onto Channel Awesome. I was in college and me and my friends would watch Doug's stuff and then moved on to watching other things; I was a big fan of Lindsay Ellis and Spoony, and from him I heard about Brad and got into his stuff. It was great! Never made it on the site, though, partly because I didn't try long enough or hard enough, really. Though for a while I used to look back and think about having missed out on this amazing opportunity to work with these amazing people and do some great, creative work.

This whole situation makes me feel like the effort I put into that, and, hell, the fact I was ever a fan of Doug Walker at all, it was all a waste. What a loving waste of time. I'm glad some good people came out of it but the Walkers are going to still be making a ton of money out of this and out of their exploitation of their employees and it makes me sick.

If you learned literally anything about writing or cameras or lighting, or if you developed any insight at all into any particular film or genre, or if you got better at it in any way, your experience was less of a waste than Doug Walker’s life to date. Ditto if you managed to do it without harming anyone or contributing to the harm of others through inaction or stupidity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re willfully misunderstanding that the people who wrote the document about CA only found out about the abuse last week when contacted by a victim, ie long after Justin Carmichael was dead.

CA management on the other hand revealed that they knew the whole time, chose not to contact any authorities, and tried to monetize the abuser’s death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Holly Brown’s twitter has been nothing but Guru Larry memes for the last two days. It’s making me a little uncomfortable. I hope she’s ok.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remember the weird Nine lives of Garfield movie? IIRC it had a sequence pretty obviously inspired by plague dogs.

The most (only) ambitious thing Jim Davis has ever done. It expanded my mind as a young kid expecting only safe, stale humor and Lorenzo Music’s dulcet voice.

Given the Lorenzo Music connection, it might make good material for Phelan some day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like the rare human who actually would be really motivated to criticize computer magazines for a lack of rigor and maybe not pick up on the horde’s real motives until a few weeks later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s nice to see you getting tapped for stuff like this rather than people like, say, the Fine bros.

It would be a nice development for 2018 if you entered into a mutually beneficial relationship with people who knew how to run a business and treated you professionally.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

gaymartin posted:

I believe the point the anime robot housewife is trying to make is that "sjw" types tend to cover up for their sides crimes regardless of how heinous they might be, on top of later it coming to light that other people knew about it but said nothing purely because they agreed with them on something such as the current implosion of channel awesome, really not sure what the goobers have to do with this either, I have never understood this mentality of not calling out an rear end in a top hat for being an rear end in a top hat purely he stands with you on the same political spectrum and or ideologies.

Have you ever dealt with victims of abuse? Rape? And I mean real abuse, not this "someone called me a bitch on the internet, that means I was raped" kind of abuse, I mean honest to god life altering abuse that changes your life entirely and crushes your every hope and dream, I have, I was one!

They're some of the most manipulative people you will ever meet in your life, some notice it early on and stop, others don't and realize they can forever beg for sympathy because of what they experienced, most people are to afraid to call them out because of what they experienced, then the manipulation turns up a bit, it gets worse and worse, eventually 2 possible things can happen.

1. The victim will be abandoned by pretty much everyone, tired of their poo poo.
2. The victim will be told they're being a manipulative poo poo in a very violent and explosive fashion which then makes their trauma worse, because they might endure another, such cases tend to end in suicide.

Its ok to call someone out for being a piece of poo poo regardless of what you went through, bad life experiences is no excuse to treat others like poo poo and its certainly no excuse to abuse other's either, regardless of what side of the fence you sit on, what political party you follow or whether or not you truly believe it was about ethics in gaming journalism, its perfectly fine to call out someone who's being an rear end in a top hat, moreso if they're perpetrating a horrifically heinous crime such as what JewMario did, not sure why this is such a hard concept for so many of you to grasp, GamerGate is dead and has been for years, there is no "winning" if you call out someone on the "right side of history" for being a horrible garbage, there is only losing for the victim crying for help but is drowned out by idiots who can't let the other side "win" in this retarded culture war that doesn't want to loving end.

Sir this is an Arby’s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder which element of the CA thing got the nazis baying and howling. Chance to punch down + women having opinions/existing + extremely online?

Even the imminently dunkable/eternally self-dunking Ian Miles Cheong tried (failed) from the safety of his weekly Incel Corner internet column to get an internet horde after Dan

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The nazis are coming from inside the thread. What a time to be alive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most other people who make videos build actual production + editing skills also, in addition to the suite of performance skills they typically end up with by continually growing and challenging themselves. Doug is like the ultimate cautionary tale there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, like most people actually develop their craft.

The big difference between James Rolfe’s interminable juvenile skits and Doug’s is that Rolfe was having fun trying out different techniques that he liked or was curious about, like doing his own Raimi ram-o-cam, while Doug attempted nothing other than padding.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does movie bob believe he is not part of the working class? That might be more delusional than thinking he would escape the ovens if all people with a low IQ were liquidated by a benevolent dictator technocrat, as he believes must happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, like, take something like this:

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/956254578659549186

And compare it to articles like this:

https://twitter.com/commietantric/status/808393055506231298

And tell me where you find the mocking or even any difference?

Her point is that they’re morally disgusting for having no sincere or stable values and for treating politics like a game. She’s not saying they’re good because they’re insincere nazis. She’s a philosopher accusing them of being Thrasymachus.

For reference, being hollow men who believe in nothing but money is the problem with the NYT scum who poo poo out glowing profiles of nazis for being so polite.

Have you never read or heard anything she has said about nazis?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Contra's bad because her videos are tacky and her characterization of people more radical than her in her videos is always as some flavor of extreme ideologue. That she insists on debating nazis - people for whom all publicity is good unless its a direct assault on them specifically - is just icing.

Name a nazi she’s debated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I have some bad news for you about people who say leftism is in fact super bad and not good.

Can you show us something where she a) provides a definition of leftism and b) says that thing is bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Politics doesn’t get done on twitter for gently caress’s sake. Also tell us a time Contrapoints said leftism was bad.