Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yesssssss, this came out perfect. You covered pretty much everything I can think of and then some.
--------------------------------------------------------

Anyway as far as the premier is concerned, I was worried at first when I found out it was just gonna be about Morgan's transition, but I was so pleasantly surprised by the episode. I will say I thought it was kind of hosed up and disrespectful of the producers to make the FTWD PREMIER entirely about a character from a different show, but it is what it is and the writing, directing, and cinematography were great. The two new characters John and Althea seem very charismatic and interesting so far and I look forward to finding out more about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Madison made both of her kids go to the same high school she worked as a guidance counselor at, despite there probably being plenty of other options for them. No wonder Nick started doing heroin at 14 lmao. Dude never dropped out either; probably dragged his strung out burnt out rear end to class every day just to show the school how great at guiding youth his mom was.

Tobias mentioned something about Nick being a senior when he was a freshman, and they showed Alicia at the same school, so they definitely had to go to school where their mom worked and was banging one of the English teachers (Travis).

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Astroman posted:

Imagine you're sitting in front of a guidance counselor prattling on with life advice for you, meanwhile you know her kid is strung out on smack...

Yeah and considering the size of that oxy-contin stash in the school's confiscation locker, I'm sure Nick wasn't her only youth casualty :razz:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Here's a link to an interview with FTWD's old showrunner. It has an explanation of why he killed off Troy: http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/15/fear-the-walking-dead-season-finale-burning-questions-showrunner/2/

There was another article/interview about Troy that confirmed he was supposed to make it at least partway through season 4. Between the interview I linked and the other one (I don't really feel like digging for it), you can draw the conclusion that Erickson just didn't want Gimple or the new showrunners loving Troy's character up. It was more of a mercy kill than anything.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I liked the episode, but it was weird/bitter-sweet, 'cause it really does feel like a reboot. Madison is a totally different character, they made her like early-on Rick Grimes. And yeah the first thing I thought of when they introduced the new bad guys is "fml, Negan 2.0"

The scene where Nick crashes the truck was funny.

I totally should have known that little girl was a spy.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah not sure how I feel about Madison's new Narrative. Reprogram her back please.

It'll be alright if we get some decent insight on why she's so bent on helping/saving people, and even better if this is all just a temporary fake-out to make it seem like she's truly changed and then in a couple episodes she shoots someone in the face and we get classic Madison back.

But yeah for the most part, I still enjoyed it. Cinematography, despite the piss yellow filter (which I hope goes away when the two timelines meet up), was still nice. IDK if it's just me but I think Kim Dickens' acting has improved in this role. Nick's truck crash and the immediate moments after were funny. I'm genuinely interested in where they're going with the new premise. It just felt kind of like a pilot episode though, which I guess is understandable under the circumstances (not only do we have new showrunners + Gimple overseeing, all the writers are new too. They didn't keep the S3 writing staff). I'm also disappointed that we missed so much of each character's development and are only gonna get tidbits of insight here and there and that they seem to have scrapped the entire direction that season 3 was going in.

...and even then it still manages to be better put-together and enjoyable than TWD proper, which has loving SOURCE MATERIAL to go off of and they still botch their own writing.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

zeal posted:

nick's all messed up now

ha ha ha

You think he's ever gonna get high off of zombie brain stem again or nah

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Well even though they skipped a ton of character development and story, at least The 100 is coming back tomorr- oh wait they ended their last season with a massive destruction cliffhanger and multiple years long time-skip too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Cactus posted:

I hope these vultures get the same treatment the terminus cannibals did.

I read somewhere that the vultures are only going to be around during the first half of the season (it's unknown if they will last the whole half though). I'm hoping that when they are taken out, it will be just as sudden and unexpected as Terminus.

Oh also the description for next week's episode is: "Madison and Morgan help Nick with his PTSD"

It's just Nick locked in a room with Morgan listening to him spewing random sentences for an hour and calling him Benjamin. He'll realize he's relatively fine after all.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

I'd love to see how Morgan helps Nicks with his PTSD.

He's gonna teach him Aikido and the art of raising goats.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I think they're trying to make such a point out of the characters finding redemption because like the vulture said, "you haven't been tested." I really do think it's going to go tumbling down and it'll be her fault, still. But we'll see.
I thought about it more after the episode and I now definitely think there's a reason they pushed the whole redemption thing so hard. At first I was just kind of like "unexpected, but alright, let's see where this goes," but as the episode went on the dialog was just pushing it really hard and I thought "wtf did they do to Madison, she wasn't even this selfless before the outbreak." But now I think or at least hope that they're just setting her up to snap, and a bunch of people are about to get hosed up.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

zeal posted:

they never should've gotten off the boat

should've sailed that thing straight to hawaii

Right? I'm sure they could've still found lives to ruin and ways to get ambushed by zombies on the high seas. Have some island adventures here and there, fight some more pirates... also I just really liked that boat.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

That whole scene from beginning to end is definitely in my top 10 favorite moments in both shows, maybe top 5. And yeah I noticed that too, I know the Abigail was pretty well-stocked with booze so that's what I imagine happened as well

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I'm shook :smith:

But also I'm kind of happy for anyone who gets out of the whole TWDverse, he probably deserves a lot better. That was a great performance.

and the closest i've ever come to crying while watching anything walking dead related

EDIT: And just before that I was thinking "aw Morgan is finally gonna get an apprentice with plot armor" oops

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 30, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Madison is going to set someone on fire for this.

warcrimes posted:

Jesus this thread is strange. THAT is how you kill off a character. That had an emotional impact. Had no idea this was coming, either. Good poo poo.
YES. I hate how they kill main characters off in TWD proper - so much drawn out exposition leading up to their death that it loses its impact. Even Glenn's sudden and violent death didn't phase me that much because of how needlessly drawn out Negan's introduction was (not to mention the character hadn't been interesting in like 3 seasons). Nick's death felt like an unexpected punch in the chest.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

Furthermore, Episode 3 is just such an unassuming episode to have such a major death. The main show seems to hold those for the premiere/MSF/MSP/finale.

Glenn's dumpster fakeout happened in the 3rd episode of season 6 and I always thought it would have been so much better if that had been his official death.

I'm sad af to lose the character, but I'm really happy with the way the did it.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Nick went to the big trap-house in the sky; his antics will be dearly missed.

I was really looking forward to seeing Nick and Morgan team up, like some hosed up Karate Kid reenactment. Morgan needed an apprentice with plot armor and Nick needed a role model that wasn't Madison.

LadyPictureShow posted:

But don’t be sad. Now we can have the spin-off of the spin-off... Nick and Troy: GHOST BROS.
I would watch that poo poo live with commercials and everything

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Guys Nick died in the dam explosion, that was a synth last night.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

So after the last couple episodes I was thinking about Madison's trip/dream sequences in the s3 finale, and it seems like at least part of it's come true. Remember how she talked about how she thought she would settle down on the ranch and just live a peaceful life with her family and the other residents? Then in the dream they had the Christmas dinner and show'd everyone together and happy (until things went to poo poo and they weren't lmao). Then in the next dream one of her kids was dead.

She found her family after the flood and went on to establish the stadium settlement, where they lived for a whole year in peace with a few dozen other residents. Then things went to poo poo, and now one of her kids is dead (they just switched which one it was). I kind of hope we got more references to those scenes in the next few episodes, since the old showrunner said that was a vague representation of how the rest of the series would have gone. It would be a cool nod to the finale as well as Erikson's vision, since Nick's actor quitting the show left them with little choice but to close most of the old narrative off and start a new one anyway. It would also explain why they didn't just kill him off at the dam, since he did ask to leave before S3 was done filming.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

She better be out there alive. Maybe Nick's death will finally send her off the deep end.
That's what I'm hoping for so bad. She's gonna gently caress around and invent Wildfire when she finds out.

Part of me kind of hopes that what a few people have theorized about her possibly joining the Vultures is true. She joined and it drove a wedge between her and the rest of the group, and that's why they're separated in the Now timeline. When she finds out that it pretty much directly lead to her son's death, do you think she's gonna realize the consequences of her decision, calmly self reflect, and focus on what's best for the only kid she has left

or

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Madison's response to life giving you lemons is to burn down the lemon tree orchard and salt the earth afterward while your kids stand there mouthing 'wtf mom'.
:allears:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I feel bad for Alicia. She watched Travis get eviscerated by a bullet and take a swan dive out of a helicopter last season and then she just had to watch Nick die. I have a feeling we're about to get some good development for her.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Her acting got better on FTWD after her character on The 100 got killed off. She was really great as Lexa, but I kind of wonder if it was distracting her from fitting into her role as Alicia. The characters are polar opposites of each other and I'm pretty sure she was filming back-to-back. That's probably why you don't see stuff like that more often - even if your schedules don't conflict (which for her it eventually did), it's probably a pain in the rear end to convincingly pull off two completely different ongoing roles. It's not unheard of, but rare.

EDIT: lol @ Nick and Lexa getting almost the same death

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

zeal posted:

the only ways that comparison could get closer is if nick was accidentally shot by Strand or Daniel while they were aiming at Luciana for some reason

ffffff right?

I remember making a similar comparison with Travis too, since he caught a stray bullet and died in front of her so the actor could go be in another franchise. But Nick's death was way more similar as far as actual composition goes.

The 100 put a curse on her :laffo:

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 4, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Captain Log posted:

The second season through now have been excellent and made the last two TWD seasons look like poo poo.

The first season would have too if Robert Kirkman hadn't vetoed pretty much every idea the showrunner wanted to do until he was forced to just skip most of the actual downfall in a time jump.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

Expand that thought...

I don't remember which interviews they were because it's been a while since I read them, but in one, Erickson mentioned pitching several ideas to Kirkman on how season 1 would go, and Kirkman rejected all of them. In another interview, when asked about the 9 day time skip, he replied that the producers were pressuring him to speed up the story to get closer to when Rick wakes up in the timeline (despite AMC marketing the show as a slow-burn into the downfall of society). You can put two and two together and figure out that he was under pressure to speed the timeline along, but Kirkman was being a piss-baby about anything that might make actually make the show cool, so civilization ended off-screen and we got a weird family drama instead.

Maybe I'll try and hunt the articles down sometime.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

CrazyLoon posted:

He definitely thinks far too highly of his IP. Like, you want to keep the mystery of how everything went wrong ooooo...considering the majority of what's happening later on is pretty scholcky, it just strikes me as pretentious. Especially when it hamstrings writers who'd probably explain it just fine or, heaven forbid, better than him.

I'm almost certain that's what it boiled down to :allears:

Seems as though Kirkman liked the idea of doing a prequel/spinoff until he realized that it had the potential to be way cooler than the main show. And then there's AMC itself, which gave FTWD a fraction of the main show's budget & production time but still insisted that it was a "sibling series, not a spinoff." That gave people the idea that they could expect the same overall quality as TWD, which was coming out of its 5th season at the time and was at the height of its popularity. Honestly I feel genuinely bad for anyone who was involved in making the first two season (showrunner, actors, writers etc). The company kind of set them up to look incompetent.

Also there's a common misconception about the change in writers between seasons 2 and 3. A lot of people think the season 1 & 2 writers were fired, but they weren't. They all quit.

Okay now I actually do want to go back and try and find all the sources for this. I read most of them during the break between seasons 2 and 3 and don't remember the titles of the articles but it shouldn't take that long to track 'em down on Google. Maybe later if I have time.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

feel like pure poo poo just wanna see madison shoot someone's face off

Nice to see the og characters in the Now timeline slipping back into their old ways again though. They are so blinded with blood lust that they looked genuinely surprised when asked if they were even going to bury Nick. Strand's like "thinks (he'll fit in that empty gun cache right?) "Uhh... yeah here"

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

CODChimera posted:

Not the greatest.
Yeah this was probably the weakest episode in a long time, but it wasn't a terrible episode. The dialog was a bit contrived at times and story dragged out a little, but it's nice to find out Strand is still a shady rear end in a top hat lmao.

Also I was really worried about how they were going to handle Alicia's character in this episode. I was like "oh god please don't make her like Sasha pls don't pls don't." I actually like that she's not a complete mess right now. She was clearly hysterical when it happened and I'm sure she cried plenty off-screen, but now she's all about that action. She'll mourn later. On TWD they would have had her been over-the-top melodramatic for the entire episode.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

The main show is just not good at handling tragedy anymore. Back in the early seasons, everyone handled grief differently. Each experience was unique. Ever since Tyrese died, almost everyone who loses a loved one just turns into a snotty, petulant annoyance for several episodes or more. The only real exception I can think of is Rick losing Carl. He went from Murder-Rick to Super-Murder-Rick. Oh and Morgan, but that is a, uh... haha, you know what it is.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Quoting this again because I got to these eps on background noise while I was packing up my bookshelf. The whole ‘Nicholas ‘redemption’ arc’ is just so wasted. He was a coward, got Noah killed, but Glenn was still willing to take a chance on him, and all he ended up accomplishing was cause dumpstergate. Maybe I was just bamboozled that he became something of a team player in the comics.

If they wanted to do that scene so bad, I thought it would have been the perfect, hosed up twist to do what they did - set up what seemed like a redemption arch for Nicholas, only for it to backfire in the worst way and result not only in his own death, but Glenn's too.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Fionordequester posted:

So the Vultures...are actually really fascinating to me, at the moment.
Same! Their tactics are predatory without being violent, which is actually, you know, really strategic in a post-apocalyptic setting when ammo and medical supplies would be limited. They seem to put a lot of critical thought into their approach. They pick a target, send in a spy to find out if they have weapons, how many, and how likely they are to be the 'shoot first' type, scout out everywhere surrounding that target to find out where they are getting their supplies before they even know they are being watched, S A B O T A G E, then they make their appearance and extend their "offer." If they had reason to believe Madison was the type of person to shoot first, they would have altered their tactics. They are indeed pretty interesting.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

I had a weird dream last night where people were going apeshit over rumors/spoilers about the show’s MSF. Like the rumored ‘iconic’ double death of characters in the baseball stadium, and that the Vultures drove a car with a lion and a tiger in the back through the gates and let them loose.

The ‘iconic’ death was Strand getting chained up and decapitated.

When I woke up, for a few seconds I was thinking ‘drat, everyone in the thread is probably losing their minds over this!’

What have you assholes done to me?!

I don't have dreams related to shows that I'm watching very often, but I remember watching the FTWD pilot a year or so ago and having a weird dream about the zombie apocalypse. I never actually saw any zombies in my dream, but my group did get captured by another group that wanted to kill us for some reason. It was just a few bad apples out of a mostly functional, peaceful group of survivors living in a system of caves. I was being held up by some woman, but I had a box cutter on me and when I got a chance, I slit her throat and ran. The next part of the dream was a blur but it pretty much ended up with my group destroying the whole settlement and setting everything on fire. Turned out, the rest of the settlement didn't even realize what was going on or why we were so pissed off, all they knew was that we ruined their lives.

I swear on my life I had no idea what the characters would be like beyond the pilot episode when I had that dream but it seems pretty spot-on, haha

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Von_Doom posted:

Don’t forget using an entire giant fuckoff truck for the sole awesomeness that was a giant multi man drum kit/ Dude on a flamethrower guitar. God, that movie was shiny and chrome.

I’m giving this show another go based solely on your amazing OP. Never made it past ep 1 before. Up to episode 5 now. I’m digging it far more than I thought I would. I like Nick for some reason and hope the last page is wrong about his death as he’s the only Clark I like, stealing a dying guys drugs aside. Seriously brilliant OP.

Season 2 is hit-and-miss, but season 3 is good all the way through. If you feel like you're losing steam in S2 (I honestly liked it despite the flaws. Loved the settings most of all), just keep going.

Nick will continue being the only Clark you like for a while though.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I love that the current season is almost in sync with the current season of The 100 - another morally ambiguous apocalypse show featuring a crazy blonde woman with Clark(e) in her name - since they left off last season with mass destruction and a multi-year timeskip too. I've noticed a couple parallels in the stories, but the characters are handling their situations pretty much the exact opposite of each other.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I want so bad for there to be a scene this season where they have to use blood-camo, and the OG characters just go about their business casually applying a bit of blood like it's sunscreen, turn around to Morgan who has completely gutted a walker and is wearing its entrails and body parts, and they all just stand there aghast for a second whispering "what the gently caress."

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

zeal posted:

the True Clarke would scoff at Madison's mere low triple digits bodycount
In previous seasons, I would have argued that Clarke's high body count came from having to make so many high stake, life-and-death decisions where she didn't have much of a choice whereas Madison straight up murders fools because she doesn't like them. But current season Clarke has really come into her own as possibly the deadliest entity on the planet and I sure af wouldn't test her.

Anyway as much as I'm looking forward to a John Dorie episode, I can't help but be a little disappointed that their Mother's Day episode isn't gonna be Madison setting fire to everything the Vultures have ever cared about as she releases all the walkers they've been trapping on them.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

FTWD just seems like it's better at handling bottle episodes than TWD in general. Remember Daniel's bottle episode last season? loving amazing, and it wasn't even in English. I liked Nick's bottle episode in S2, save for the cartel guy being too loving stupid to just take a few steps back to save himself from getting eaten. One thing that sets FTWD's bottle episodes apart from TWD's is that they can be enjoyed as standalone episodes. They add to the story, but ultimately are self-contained, which is what a bottle episode should be.

The only bottle episode of TWD that compares is the Eastman/Morgan flashback episode, though that episode really did not need to be an extended episode. And like Nick's bottle episode, it was poorly placed (Nick's was after a mid-season break/cliffhanger, and Morgan's followed Glenn's dumpster cliffhanger).

JossiRossi posted:

It was interesting that Laura made a very direct point about the zombie blood being dangerous. "I've seen people get really sick", screams of a line Gimple forced the writers to add as part of his dismantling the zombie camo from the past 3 seasons. And to reinforce the stupid guts tainted weapons in TWD proper.
That actually kind of pissed me off, and I immediately thought the same thing. Nick is rolling in his grave and Clementine would like to call bullshit.

JossiRossi posted:

The final thing I want to comment on was when Laura shared about her kid. Holy poo poo. One line. Said at a time when people sometimes share intimate thoughts.
Right? It was so simply executed but SO effective and realistic. Silence, "I lost my child." Silence. Immediately I started warming up to her.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Remy Marathe posted:

I feel stupid not seeing it coming, but I didn't, and they set up such a hopeless situation there with Nadine in the ditch that him finally gunning down all those zombies two-handed was loving awesome.

This ep. made me think on other couples in the franchise; Nadine & Dorie were believable as a couple, Nick and Luciana were believable as a couple, Madison and Travis, and hell, even Madison and Troy had a chemistry on top of the weird maternal thing those two had going on. Alicia and Jake were blah but believable. TWD by contrast hasn't had a single couple with chemistry since maybe Glen and Maggie's farm times, arguably before that with Laurie and Shane. Rick and Michonne's thing is so void of chemistry or even content that it's like watching brother and sister, it's awkward as gently caress and it's almost like the writers pointedly avoid dealing with it.

I always liked Nick and Luciana as a couple because they acted like how I'd imagine a couple formed in an apocalypse-scenario would actually act.

Like back in season 2b and 3a, you could tell they clearly cared about each other, but neither was willing to risk DYING for the other after only knowing each other for like 3 weeks. Nick left Luci at La Colonia because he didn't want to fight the cartel head on and would not have come back if not for seeing the helicopter and what he thought was a refugee camp. In 3a, Luci didn't feel safe at Broke Jaw Ranch for obvious reasons, and even though she wanted to be with Nick, she wasn't going to put their relationship before her own safety. In other shows, you have people hooking up in these kinds of scenarios and just diving into passionate inseparability and while it's believable that some people would probably cope with the end of the world like that, it wouldn't be the norm, and is an overused plot device. And when FTWD does show that kind of behavior, it actually makes sense. John fell fast and hard for Naomi, but he also had spent the last year in total solitude talking to himself, playing board games by himself, etc. His actions and feelings are believable.

And aww I just remembered John asking Luci if she loved Nick when she left him at the ranch and after the last episode, it just dawned on me how much significance that question and her answer have to John. Now I really need Naomi to be alive so they can reunite and be happy :ohdear:

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 16, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I low-key hope Morgan teaches Alicia aikido now lmao. His curse only claims the firstborn, that's why lil poo poo Henry is still alive. Alicia should be safe.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Von_Doom posted:

Nick nooooooooo! God that hit me harder than I would’ve thought years ago when I couldn’t get past the first episode. Both horrible and fitting. That final scene where he was lying among the flowers almost brought me to tears. The “funeral” episode after was brutal.
Fuckin' right? Not gonna lie it hit me harder than I thought it would. They always reminded me a lot of my best friend, it was kind of a trip. I ended up crying a little, and I don't believe I've ever cried over a TV character death before (a couple movies and video games have done it for me though).

Tenzarin posted:

So is this season just to kill off every character but leave morgan alive? Or is some guy with a stick gonna solve everyones broken hearts?
They're not gonna kill him off. I don't believe it. They put way to much effort into his character in a short amount of time just to kill him off like that. He's the first character we see in the premier. TV magic is gonna save him.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah when I pick apart twd it's because it sucks while if I see something dumb on ftwd I just feel like gimple had something to do with it
You just know he shoehorned Naomi's comments about zombie blood and the FEMA story into the mix in an attempt to make the main show look less dumb. Remember that stunt last season at Hilltop - when a zombie loudly rolling down the stairs somehow didn't wake anyone up, who for some reason were all sleeping on the floor downstairs, and if I recall correctly the front door was left open? I don't remember the details, it's all kind of a dumb blur at this point but a bunch of people died and it didn't make any sense.

The FEMA camp story reminded me of this.

Gimple is there to make sure the spinoff doesn't clown on the main show anymore like it did last season lol

• Locked thread