Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ron Howard did a lot more new narration than I expected, and there have definitely been some gags and musical cues added.
The best new joke is the explicit definition of "shoveling coal":

Also, Tobias is impersonating both Michael in that trailer, and Buster in the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love how Buster's robot hand from season 4 has apparently lost all of its flesh.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I am absolutely loving the recut season 4. The little bit that's lost from S4 (george maheris payoff etc) is way more than made up for by the increased watchability. It's got the snappiness that was missing from the original S4. Episode 9 and 10 feature a ton of Tobias/Debris but it's actually enjoyable because it's cut with other stuff. The added music does so much as well. Really great, it has me very very very much looking forward to S5.

The composer, David Schwartz, is a huge reason why the show's funny. He changed the background music for the Lucille/Buster smoke transfer scene in the edit, and improved it tremendously by doing so. Now it's like the track of some weird 70's lady's cigarette commercial.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really want the entirety of the Lady Allure track, it's so ridiculous and perfect.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of the stair car, anyone going to the Netflix Never Nude meet up in Philly?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

The one that always sticks out for me is Tony Wonder in the background at GOB's wedding.

I finished the remix, which is also the first time I've seen S4 entirely in years. It's funny, maybe a tiny bit is the new narration, but the series seems a lot more 2018 than 2013 - the central plot about a right-wing politician running on a platform to build a wall with Mexico, Lindsey becoming a Hilary lookalike at the end, Jeffrey Tambor playing a guy who essentially transitions at the end (even if... whoops), the other big central plot about a Facebook-analog's privacy concerns, even noticing all the actors who went on to be in Veep stuck out to me... S4 may have been mixed, but it was prescient, I'll give it that.

Hurwitz and the show have always had a great understanding of American politics. Season 4 has only gotten more relevant as reality has become Arrested Development.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The trans George Sr. storyline sucked, in my opinion, and I am pretty sure it's being aborted in season five.

I can see your point about never nudes, but a lot of the jokes in the show are about the various abnormalities of the family. I mean, every other joke about Buster is because of his social anxiety and dependency.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am 90% sure the George Sr. plot was written before Transparent cast him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like the 4th season better now that it was recut in order. I still don't really like it though.

I liked it when it came out, I like the edit now. It's drat good TV.

If anything, I like it a lot more now, even after liking it a lot when it came out, because season 4 is 2018 as gently caress.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling you're a big fan of the show.

I've never seen this show before.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This show just makes me happy. My cat passed away on Wednesday and rewatching season 4 was kind of a godsend in taking my mind off how lovely life is. I've felt that way since I first saw it during the New Year's Day 2004 marathon on Fox. The Bluths in all their terribleness have been around me for 15 years.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I do agree completely that George Sr.'s plot was mostly very bad. I honestly just liked Mary Lynn Rajskub and John Slattery in it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There hasn't been a ton for George Sr. to do after season two. Like in three, most of the comedy came from Larry Middleman.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

those scenes would've been fine if they weren't where most of the most awkward / least funny callbacks to previous jokes were

The best one, by far, was the one with young Barry and his dad. TAKE TO THE SEA!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zelder posted:

whatever happens in season 5 of arrested development will be actual real world political plotlines in 2023 so get ready for that

Mitch Hurwitz is a prophet.

I'm kind of glad. More to look forward to.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THCVReSmm90
Portia's only in five episodes apparently, which sucks.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

So Lindsay is 100% going to Washington

I hope she's in future productions of the show even if she's quit acting.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tristesse posted:

Having finished the remix I also prefer the original cut. While the original cut had some of the lowest lows of the show of all time, it also had some of the highest highs and the greatest long term joke payoffs and that gets completely watered down and sometimes just straight ruined in this cut. It's the safer version, but the less interesting one. I also really liked the focus on individual characters and how they were growing as people separate from the family and that whole sense isn't there with the recut.

Agreed completely. I think the seasons should be ranked 2, 1, 4, 3, but none of them are at all bad. All of them are some of the best TV ever produced.

The edit's biggest benefits come from watering down the slow George Sr. plot, introducing the new running Lady Allure joke (I want the full audio of Lady Allure), adding the explicit definition of "shoveling coal", and the dueling "Sound of Silence" bit.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Boy, this cast interview reflects really poorly on every dude on the show:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

Jessica Walter literally goes into tears recalling a time Tambor exploded at her on set, and all the male cast members try to downplay it and talk over her until she is sufficiently forgiving. Bateman is a particular piece of poo poo about it.

Holy poo poo, that audio is depressing. Poor Jessica.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think the show would carry on fine without Tambor to be honest. George was always funniest in relation to the situation he was in, not so much his character.

Also, I do think it's plausible that Tambor isn't a sexmonster, but is just a regular piece of poo poo. I don't think he should be involved going forward.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've never looked up to any actors or people in entertainment as paragons of virtue, and honestly, I just kind of assume most are lovely due to their wealth insulating them. Which is fitting because the show is literally about wealthy people being insulated from having to act normal or positively.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I finished my screeners for season 5, which didn't include episode 8 so I don't know how this half-season ends.

Tambor is actually barely used. He's in it a lot but he's subdued and only has a couple bigger moments/scenes. Easily the smallest and weakest storyline of the main cast, besides Lindsay who is barely in the show.

I liked it more than season 4. Any plots that are carried over from that season are streamlined and handled well. There isn't any egregious green screen, except for one scene with Portia de Rossi that stood out.

Surprisingly, Alia Shawkat got the biggest laughs from me.

Shawkat, easily, had the best episode of season 4, and I say this as someone who liked that season a lot. Shawkat's drat good.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

what's the remix of s4? Does it add new scenes, put stuff in chronological order, both?

Some new scenes, some new jokes. It does put stuff in chronological order (mostly, kind of). It's good but the original cut is probably better.

The best new joke is probably in the very first episode, but there's other good ones.

precision posted:

I could have sworn Poehler had a lot of bad things to say about him when they divorced, but it appears she didn't do that after all. I guess I was thinking of Fred Armisen.

It was widely thought their divorce wasn't amicable, and he cheated on her.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Even ignoring all of the underlying homophobia, transphobia and able-ism in the show, it's weird how they pick certain characters to act as punching bags - almost always women. Just in season 4 Ann and DeBrie come across as particularly mean spirited.

Gob is a punching bag too, though a much more deserving one.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

It's after midnight on the East Coast. Where's the show about the terrible people played by mostly terrible people?

Netflix and Hulu shows typically upload at 3 AM EST, midnight Pacific.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

RJWaters2 posted:

It's only 9:30 in Orange County, they're still filming the show

They film on location in the OC.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

clown shoes posted:

I am not liking this season at all. Whoever said it feels cheap was right on the money, so to speak.

Yeah, this didn't feel great. It seems off for a lot of reasons. I think season 4 was really good, but this half season didn't work out.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

After that half season, I feel like the cast should lose George, Lindsey, and Tobias. George and Tobias feel extraneous, and Lindsey had a central plot, but Portia basically wasn't in the show. Or just make it a George Michael and Maeby spinoff. It all needs to be tighter.

I don't really know if watching most of it at 3 to 5 AM made me miss stuff, but it was pretty disappointing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm probably going to rewatch, but it all felt very off. Season 4 did too, but it kind of intentionally did, and was still funny, and got progressively better as it went along. I'm hoping the second half of 5 redeems it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Uh, are they trying to pull off an “It’s Pat” sort of thing with officer Toddler? In 2018?
I don't think so? There were no jokes about Toddler being androgynous really.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

Just make the show about Maeby. By far my favorite parts of the half season so far.

Maeby running various scams and poo poo, with her own circle of friends would be good.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I thought it was always implied that she died from ovarian cancer?

It was.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

That would be a pretty funny joke.

Singular, like one joke. Good thing we've spent like 22 episodes building up to it. Could not have done it in any less, no siree bob.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy how plodding this season is. I could forgive season 4 for it because it was funny, and it was told out of chronological order. Five just seems aimless, and I feel bad saying that about my favorite show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Lottie Dottie Da is a fantastic female alternative to Bob Loblaw.

That was a classic AD joke, and I'm hoping/assuming there's more of her.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

David Cross is absolutely terrible in this season.

A lot is... And again, I liked season 4 a lot. This just didn't quite work.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Does anyone actually like the Hollywood Variety-speak humor? The "jokes" about Brian Grazer and Ron Howard seems like an inside joke that only Mitch Hurwitz thinks is hilarious

I do when it's maybe once or twice an episode. Instead of 22 minutes of it.

Again, I don't really get what happened. I respect Hurwitz a lot, and I think the cast are all really talented (even if many of them assholes), but this was a misfire. I see people saying that this is better than season 4, and I don't feel that way at all. Season 4 was different, but it was funny.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There were jokes indicating it was literally Ron Howard as early as season one. It's not just the narration, it's a lot of things. It just feels so slow, and listless.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Season 4 ended in 2013, two months pass and it's now 2015.

¿¿¿¿????
What makes it more insane is season 4's end point was actually 2012.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I don't want these.

That was one of the best season 4 lines.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You can tell Netflix has no faith in this season given that I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere on Youtube or... anywhere. No Google algorithms have showed me an ad, nothing.
I actually thought the opposite. Netflix doesn't really advertise individual shows a ton, and they gave AD season 5 quite a push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, remixing and promoting season 4 as new episodes felt like publicity to me.

It was nearly a month of AD promotions for just half a season. It was almost surprising to me that there was that much considering it was a sucky half a season. The cast was even on a big media tour until it turned out 5/9ths of them are assholes.

• Locked thread