Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I was thinking today about how the hype cycle for the ST is a lot like it was for the PT. First movie, everybody just wants more Star Wars because it's been so long but we leave vaguely disappointed. Second movie, everyone thinks they've identified the offending elements from the first one and fixed them (Anakin's age and Jar Jar in TPM, excessive pandering and hack director in TFA) but it ends up being even less enjoyable than the first one in spite of a few cool visuals/ideas.

The hype for episode III was that it's the best one of the trilogy and some of the magic is finally back. So if some guy starts saying that to you about IX be skeptical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

Before it was released, you mean? The hype for Episode III, at least as I remember it, was very heavily based around Darth Vader showing up in the suit.

I'm not differentiating between pre-release and early release but yeah that was also part of it. I just don't think it could apply to ep IX because they already blew their wad with almost every classic character. And who wants to see a version of Lando who's balding and dick doesn't work

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
The only Star Wars character I give a poo poo about seeing again is TR-8R and I'm actually a little afraid Abrams' nerd pandering sense is so good he'll do it

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
God it'd be tight if TR-8R had an artificial heart put in after he was shot there and you could see it on his new stormtrooper suit. Star Wolf style comeback

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Hodgepodge posted:

There's no way that the rape-y subtext wasn't intended. It's not even terribly shocking, since using magic to force (har har) your way into someone's mind is analogous to rape. It's not much more literal than Luke's lightsaber being an erection when he almost kills Ben, though. (The subtext there is that Luke's repressed sexuality manifests itself, as with Leia, as incestuous desire; Luke is a bi vocel).

That took a turn

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
the trailer sucks but I'm still interested enough in Palpatine and the submerged Executor that I'll probably watch a cam rip. sure as hell not gonna pay money though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

YaketySass posted:

Chewie and the Falcon are recognizable props, they'll be here forever.

Threepio has a recognizable voice actor so he needs a software upgrade or whatever.

also big lol at the leaks being true

what were the leaks

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Preston Waters posted:

It will never end. Star Wars will continue on way after we are all dead and gone. The Mouse must feed.

I'm glad they keep loving it up because it's such a useful tool for explaining why we need copyright reform

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Zas posted:

there's definitely a western AAA video game vibe going on with the design here

lol that was my exact thought, especially with the scenes in the forest. it just looks like Anthem or a Far Cryalike

weekly font posted:

Me to unoriginal hack JJ Abrams who is gonna botch this movie so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anALWMR860s

lol

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
does anyone have that big file with all the Rise of Skywalker spoilers? I forgot to save it

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

No Mods No Masters posted:

Leia's blithe, smug assertion that she, someone who can barely walk or speak, has everything she needs to restore herself to power- after ~99.99% of her forces have been killed and the entire galaxy has been conquered by nazis- will remain the most perfect and crystalline expression of a particular political moment

once you realize that TLJ is #resistance incarnate it makes a lot more sense and critiques of it can become more coherent

the way the movie seems like it's going in an interesting, maybe even revolutionary new direction and then totally fails to commit and backpedals? that's Obamaism. the way it treats the First Order as totally comically ridiculous yet they stomp the Resistance's loving asses into the ground? that's Trump. the way they a save few of the animals to make themselves feel a little better on a personal level but it does nothing to fix any structural problems? that's inspirational stories about someone's grandma still working, plastic straw bans, the individual mandate, debt forgiveness for students who start a business on a Tuesday when the moon is full

colored hair woman dressing down a man in a way that looks feminist on the most rudimentary, pandering surface level but is totally empty of meaning. don't make sacrifices for a cause Finn, you the individual are more important and love will save us. yes we lost, but we just need to have hope and keep using exactly the same strategies and we'll win

it perfectly, inadvertently depicts a specific historical psychosis through cinema. The Last Jedi is a masterpiece

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

I dont know if I should fault Hayden or Lucas for that because Anakin in the The Clone Wars is compelling and deep. It's such a better portrayal of the character.

Anakin's fall is a good example of the importance of artistry in cinema. everything about it sounds like a great tragic story in theory, but the way it was actually put to film sucks and falls flat

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

theblackw0lf's post suggests the opposite.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

Watching people keep saying this as the leaks get increasingly and increasingly confirmed is amazing.

I'm laughing at anyone who didn't read those leaks and immediately know they were true because it's impossible to make it up something so characteristically Abrams

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

is the real leak the one that had like, kylo dying at the end but rey doing Force poo poo to rewrite reality so he didn't die

nope. in the movie Rey redeems Kylo, and then the emperor kills him, and that's it

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
it is, of course, meant to parallel Vader in ROTJ. but some people predicted it even before the leaks because it's the only end that makes sense for his character in standard storytelling. it would be too much of a boring bummer for him to die evil but he's done too many bad things to not atone somehow, so he has to be redeemed and then die

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Mat Cauthon posted:

A lack of malicious personal bias and animus doesn't imply that there's not structural discrimination or oppression that directly affects how businesses make decisions about how they sell their products in a market.

It's pretty well known at this point that movies with visibly Black or Brown main characters don't do well with Chinese audiences (or in Asian markets in general). This is partially why most animated features with dark skinned main characters turn them into animals or ghosts or some other non-human avatar - helps the bottom line overseas.

Skrill.exe posted:

Could you give some examples of this because holy hell

yeah please do, I was aware that they're racist as hell in east Asia but I didn't know black characters had ever been turned into non-humans for their benefit

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

Ugh, so all this is because Abrams's writing is hackneyed lazy derivative crap? Because that's what those leaks suggest the movie is.

lol yes

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

I'm not sure how they could be more critical of liberal capitalism, but ok.

they're only critical of liberal capitalism in the meta sense. i.e. liberal capitalism produced this bullshit

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem is the fun of The Last Jedi is that they basically did the Vader ending of ROTJ and it failed. For all you can criticize The Last Jedi for, taking a retread of The Last Jedi's ending off the table was a bold choice. But welp.

yeah these movies are a mess

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
maclunkey

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

OctoberCountry posted:

Vague details supposedly from Trevorrow's script got posted to reddit

deliriously stupid, but not any stupider than what we're getting instead

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

i wouldn't put it past han but there's 100% no way disney would let a merchandisable protagonist cheat on his wife and have a child out of wedlock

Lucas would have 100% have had Han do it

Payndz posted:

It's kind of mindblowing that a movie seemingly built on "let's take what you've seen before and mess with it!" didn't go the opposite way to Empire at that point and have the hero join the villain. You had one film end on a cliffhanger, why not the next? Two years of "holy poo poo, she said yes! What's going to happen next?" would raise a hell of a lot more anticipation than "so the good guys are gonna rebuild and take on the bad guys, somehow, I guess?"

I mean, who didn't take Revan down the Dark Side ending? At least in an alternate save.

I'm assuming that was the original intent SOMEONE had and Disney said no, you can't

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

teagone posted:

Full-on view of the dagger artifact from the leaks is in the latest tv spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwg_J00DQF0

"It's true... all of it." Haha.

they were already confirmed as far as I'm concerned. the only thing that could be different in the movie at this point is post-production modifications. which might actually be done heavily to the ending

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
friendly reminder that if there's anything you might want to find right after the movie comes out, duckduckgo doesn't track your searches and also doesn't remove results for intellectual property reasons

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I will absolutely not be paying to see it.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Horizon Burning posted:

bunch of visual dictionary pages being leaked. they, of course, confirm the previous leaks.

I'm not even smug at this point. just sad for everybody who deluded themselves

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
my friend just asked me for the spoilers over the phone so I had to read through them again and it made me even more contemptuous of the movie. he was particularly interested in how Palpatine died and I couldn't remember, then when I found out it was just Rey deflecting his force lightning back at him with a sword I was like "oh that's why I couldn't remember, it's loving boring"

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
so it turns out the spoilers were right but missing details that made the movie even more terrible

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

that first scene of him freaking out on the battlefield really got me interested in where the movie was going to go

then the rest of the movie happened. lol @ me

hell, same

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

cuntman.net posted:

the constant flashing lights are really bad imo

:capitalism: except it says "that's Abrams"

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

What TLJ “did to Luke” wasn’t that big a deal, though.

it's fine that you feel that way. it's also fine that hte other poster didn't

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

the reviews are in

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Asgerd posted:

TLJ fans hate this movie. TLJ haters also hate this movie. They tried to appease everyone and appeased no-one.

it rules. I've got so much gleeful schadenfreude toward the whole situation

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Also George can't direct actors worth poo poo.

isn't Lucas famous for this? like whenever there's a good performance it's in spite of him?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

theblackw0lf posted:

Abrams came in late and had very little time to write a script, as Disney for baffling reasons refused to move the deadline much.

It's hard for me to be too upset at him.

I literally could have written a better script than he did given the same amount of time and I don't even know how to format a movie script

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Disney had an opportunity to move things forward for maybe a decade of Star Wars after what the TLJ set up. They should have been kissing Johnson's feet. Instead they hosed it because they're chickenshit, and have probably killed off the franchise in the short term.

There will be a reboot of ANH in 2030.

they were so eager to roll back TLJ that they started before the movie was even over

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can you imagine going to see this movie without reading the spoilers lol. I would probably be very upset. Now I just get to laugh while watching the worst Star Wars lol

I would recommend finding a cam of the movie instead of giving Disney money to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

sponges posted:

the prequels are infinitely quotable. Good or bad, Lucas writes memorable dialogue

I can't think of any quotable lines in any of the ST. the closest things are just the constant quips and I can't imagine quoting them without doing the soy face and pantomiming jacking off