Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imma guess probably zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah unlike Expanse there's not some sort of sizeable hardcore Colony fanbase out there to help make it happen. Could still I suppose, but don't count on it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OhYeah posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

This is Stargate: Universe all over again. What, an actual sci-fi show with good cast, excellent writing and casting and some really intriguing storylines? Better cancel the motherfuck out this one, folks. And better pump out 14 new utterly forgettable sitcoms instead which have viewerships in triple digits but somehow get renewed for 9 seasons.

The Expanse got picked up by another network, what do you think are the chances of this happening with Colony?

One of our godking overlords took a personal interest in The Expanse and personally make sure it stayed alive. Unless Zuckerburg or Elon Musk is secretly a huge Colony fan I wouldn't count on it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Expanse is also a kinda prestige show that Colony is not.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Even a double episode wrapup or soemthing would be nice, but yeah, I don't think this show has the cult following to demand that sorta thing... Hopefully the writers can spill some beans on twitter about what the hosts/other enemies were going to be

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah unlike Expanse there's not some sort of sizeable hardcore Colony fanbase out there to help make it happen. Could still I suppose, but don't count on it.

The Expanse also had some how profile fan support everyone from GURM to NASA astronauts.

Jeff Bezos is also a big fan of the books despite the ironic nature of his fandom for this series.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Well that's an opening scene :stare:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh Colony. You died as you lived, lots of promising concepts and ideas to explore but with just slightly middling execution and an inability to really make individual episodes pop the way you'd want. Peter Jacobson is a god drat natural treasure however.

All of that said it is pretty sad that the final episode was so incredibly heavy with cliffhangers that are never going to be resolved. I think it's fairly clear from the muted reaction to the cancellation (I was pretty surprised when they announced Season 3 to be honest) that we're not going to see any form of continuation.

I know that the whole underlying theme is the nature of human resistance and how unique we are as a species but I'm also wondering why exactly 150 human grunts (even really special human grunts) are so important in a war where cities are getting plinked and the moon got a loving crater blown into it. Are the Raps/Morks just utterly incapable of human style "improvisation" and just need to jack other people to do it? Oh and the opposing force looks like the Alien Nation aliens. What's up with that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

J33uk posted:

Oh Colony. You died as you lived, lots of promising concepts and ideas to explore but with just slightly middling execution and an inability to really make individual episodes pop the way you'd want. Peter Jacobson is a god drat natural treasure however.

All of that said it is pretty sad that the final episode was so incredibly heavy with cliffhangers that are never going to be resolved. I think it's fairly clear from the muted reaction to the cancellation (I was pretty surprised when they announced Season 3 to be honest) that we're not going to see any form of continuation.

I know that the whole underlying theme is the nature of human resistance and how unique we are as a species but I'm also wondering why exactly 150 human grunts (even really special human grunts) are so important in a war where cities are getting plinked and the moon got a loving crater blown into it. Are the Raps/Morks just utterly incapable of human style "improvisation" and just need to jack other people to do it? Oh and the opposing force looks like the Alien Nation aliens. What's up with that?

I haven't watched it yet, but didn't they say a couple episodes ago they have like 400,000 Outliers in the project?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Honestly it feels about as relevant as having 400,000 trained infantry in Europe to deploy after the Cold War goes hot with a plan to run them through the Fulda Gap. It's wishful thinking at best and utter delusion at worst than those people are going matter for poo poo in a full on nuclear exchange. This episode makes it all the stranger with (spoilers because West Coast people might still be watching) The whole 150 outlier deadline just makes no sense. I get that the raps want it as a sign of compliance but it feels an awful lot like letting a key strategic factory get bombed because the workers went on strike that week. Sure you need to deal with the strike but it seems like the utterly annihilation of that sort of facility would be way worse. Or maybe the raps are so far gone that their logic is utterly impenetrable to mere mortals like us. I hope there's some sort of series bible that gets released that tells us a little more about who they were and just what the hell their plan was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally gets good....

Oh well. Thanks for the memories Colony.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really hope Peter Jacobson was able to 'acquire' that portrait prop of himself somehow.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm just going to pretend that the aliens didn't actually both protecting Seattle and everyone just died.

The best line in the whole series was the wife telling Sawyer "We gotta focus on the little issues before we focus on the big ones". Way to sum up the guiding philosophy that was everything wrong in the first 2 seasons of this show.

Did Kynes just die off screen because it really seemed like he died and they forgot to edit in that scene. But we didn't need a scene where Synder has someone executed at a board meeting because...?

The ending was pretty accurate to the rest of the show: spending a lot of time focusing on poo poo that didn't matter while the big plot floating around and things seemed to be happening but we never really saw it.

drat, even as a season finale that sucked, as a series finale it's so bland it's hardly worth talking about.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Does this mean I don't get to see Wayne Brady save the world?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope there's going to be a post-mortem explaining all that alien war poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ahahahah, of course this gets cancelled just as it turns from great to awesome. Let's order 23 superhero comic book shows, a couple thousand reality shows and a 905th(?) season of the big bang theory instead of this. gently caress this gay dumb media landscape etc.

This episode finally explains the weird walls around all the colonies. The writers said that they had the plot outlined from the beginning and it looks like they weren't full of poo poo this time. Rip good show, you were too slow for this ultra fast paced future age of the year 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like the title change. I was thinking of suggesting "I sincerely hope I never see you or your family again."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If I had to guess I would say that their plan for next season would have involved a time skip. Outside of what happens to Katie the other characters are all settling in to new paradigms and have a lot of busywork ahead of them. Doing a time skip involving Will being released from his pod would be a way to move things around without having to worry about actually playing them out.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Absolute fuckers cancelling the show like this.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Octy posted:

Absolute fuckers cancelling the show like this.

3 seasons of build up and once the FX budget goes up a bit... yoink.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sci-fi has it hard my friends. Why spend the money on good sci-fi when you can spend 10 bucks an episode for a sitcom with a laugh track and still get the same viewers?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well that wasn’t a very good episode. What a shame this show went out like it did.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

3 seasons of build up and once the FX budget goes up a bit... yoink.

They probably just couldn't afford Wayne Brady.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Octy posted:

They probably just couldn't afford Wayne Brady.

The finale was most certainly edited in such a way that they could have gone either way in season 4 depending on contract negotiations. Turns out it don't matter though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

The finale was most certainly edited in such a way that they could have gone either way in season 4 depending on contract negotiations. Turns out it don't matter though.

Well, maybe another network will revive the show in a few decades when everyone starts getting nostalgic about TV from the '10s.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Falling loving Skies gets five seasons and this one dies after 3? :fuckoff:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

NecroBob posted:

Falling loving Skies gets five seasons and this one dies after 3? :fuckoff:

It's not going to get any better with the rise of streaming either. You pretty much have to be invested in a show to subscribe to a TV network streaming service to watch it. In other words if the initial buy-in doesn't happen then we're going to see a lot of DOA shows. It's funny, I remember in the 90's people screaming for an ala carte future which has been replaced in the past two years with "Wait I have to subscribe to another service to watch this? gently caress that, can't someone bundle all this together in a package for me?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, we still have Team Awesome Force for another 2 seasons.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

at least the expanse was saved :unsmith:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
anything that pokes at class poo poo gets poo poo canned

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grognan posted:

anything that pokes at class poo poo gets poo poo canned

But

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

at least the expanse was saved :unsmith:

???

Colony doesn't even really do much class poo poo, beyond the two classes of evil robotic space nazi collaborator class and not evil robotic space nazi collaborator class. Oh and mathematically unusual bad rear end murder bros class, but are they even a privileged class or are they a not privileged class?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ironically it was saved by a literal oligarch that loved spaceships so much he overlooked any other narrative (also the belters become less sympathetic as the seasons go).

That said, classism didn't get touched on that much in Colony beyond the Greenzone stuff. It wasn't like Incorporated which put it front in center.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

colony was a story about mr. and mrs. americana, plus their perfect nuclear family, doing jihad against a power structure that on it's face looks exactly like the one we have today. it got greenlit on a premise that was already subversive.

got cancelled cuz it took three years to find it's stride, which you really can't do when your hook is 'wacky times in the concentration camps'. poo poo is just bleak yo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, what's everyone's guess at where they were going with the plot?

Season 4: Timeskip; Morks are losing the fight in orbit badly, first ground skirmishes begin and Will is woken up to fight; Snider and Broussard try to outmaneuver each other and prepare for the coming power struggle; Lots of mopey family drama and 2 new kids actors join(Wills long lost son from an earlier marriage and the orphaned neighborhood kid "Billy" )

Season 4.5: Morks fully defeated in orbit; the ground war starts and the colonies are assaulted; Will fights in the war; Broussard makes his move and tries to take out Snider and the IGA regime; lots of drama about how to raise Billy(he still wets the bed at age 10 and Will and Katie can't agree on how to deal with this); season finale has the last Morks, who have retreated to the colonies, finally defeated as the last colony (Seattle) is taken

Season 5: Morks dead, occupation over; the aliens gently caress off without punishing the collaborators; civil war breaks out between Snider's IGA and Broussard! Billy gets his first girlfriend and has pneumonia and needs antibiotics, the Bowmans fight about how to get them!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have no idea how the plot wouldn't end in a devastated Earth, since the bombardment had started, with only a few scattered colonies surviving.

I'm assuming that the Outliers would be fighting in ship boardings with adapted armor, since the other aliens are so over-powered and one can take down dozens of people alone. I guess they might also hunt them in the woods?

I really hope we get an outline of what the plan was.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, they drop hints about all sorts of things [The enemy of the computer people is a bunch of psychics with the ability to flat out kill-switch biological lifeforms. Is that why they are computer people in the first place?], but ultimately this poo poo should have been the end of season 2. Just get to it. Season 2 as it was should have been half of season 2, and season 3 should have been the back half. I really wish it got another season, because there was a lot of talent involved doing real good work....but ultimately they played that stupid Lost game of quietly dropping mysterious poo poo and waiting forever to pay it off.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Just catching up on the last 2 episodes, disappointed in that finale, then I come in here and find out it's the series finale, and now I'm pissed off. I got bored with the expanse in the first season, guess I might check it out again, I've got viewing room now :fuckoff: USA, Im boycotting, wait they have Mr Robot, fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

colony was a story about mr. and mrs. americana, plus their perfect nuclear family, doing jihad against a power structure that on it's face looks exactly like the one we have today. it got greenlit on a premise that was already subversive.

got cancelled cuz it took three years to find it's stride, which you really can't do when your hook is 'wacky times in the concentration camps'. poo poo is just bleak yo.

Another scifi gut punch. RIP
Colony can be buried beside Defiance.

There'll be a season 2 of Altered Carbon so we can see wacky times in luxury accomodations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

The lower percentiles of the outliers algorithm are probably cannon fodder.
"This one only took 3 weeks of ROTC training before dropping ou..."
"Good enough, algorithm says he's in and we've got a quota to fill. Next!"

As I said a couple of weeks ago...

Too bad we never got to see Will Bowman and pals in alien stealth outfits, or even using the mystery bullet-proof alien fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Binary Logic posted:

Another scifi gut punch. RIP
Colony can be buried beside Defiance.
At least Defiance got an actual ending.

• Locked thread