Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Friends don't let friends choose zerker risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think Natural is ok in Classic Mode, which has a pretty high chance of giving you black or white mages (getting neither should happen roughly 20% of the time), and thus a workable setup.

While mixing and matching abilities from different jobs is cool, it's also an interesting constraint to have only 1 white magic or black magic caster, rather than the usual fiesta setup where if you get a mage class for your Wind Crystal then you'll generally have that kind of magic accessible on pretty much every party member. Getting a magic-using class in normal fiestas tends to lead to 'now everyone can cast white magic' (you only really need level 4 white magic for most of the really critical buffs), which homogenizes the overall experience rather than refining it. (You can make a similar point about some of the really busted jobs like samurai or chemist).

I would say the point of the Fiesta is 'gameplay variety via simple job constraints', and Natural fits within this mold despite lacking job mix-and-matching.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My take is that Summoners are slightly better overall than Black Mages, but it's close enough to be a matter of taste. Black mages tend to be somewhat better at doing single-target damage using MP efficiently, but for the endgame Syldra isn't that much worse than Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga. Summoner has more in the way of useful utility spells in the form of Golem (which is sick) and Carbuncle. Phoenix is obviously uniquely powerful, but is a bit of a pain to get. In fact, since Syldra is the last feasible summon to get an elemental boost you can pretty much skip all of the top-tier summons without issue.

E:VVVV Mystic Knight is absurdly strong. Their status effects bypass all magic defense, so you get a guaranteed zero-almagest fight. Similarly, Silence Spellblade is way better than other sources of mute to bypass Bridgegamesh's buffs (the timing is otherwise pretty tight). They are underwhelming vs enemies with zero vulnerabilities (unless you have flare blade) but they trivialize SO MANY bosses.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 24, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Neo Exdeath's Break-vulnerable piece is the biggest outlier, since it is vulnerable to break but has a high level and magic evade. If you're going after NED with a black mage, you either need to be able to survive an almagest or be ready to restart a few times.

I think Bio Blade tends to be a bit stronger than bio against Azulmagia (since it multiplies your weapon damage by 4), but that's a more moderate case. Necrophobe I'd rate as roughly wash, since you lose a turn charging break blade but in exchange you don't need to worry about reflect RNG or spell failure. Mute is the one status that MK has access to that black mage doesn't, and while in SFC there are quite a few bosses that aren't mute-immune I'm not sure how many of them are still mutable in GBA, although in most of these cases the boss is a combination of a)vulnerable to something else or b)generally not that hard.

Black mage is also very strong, I don't want to deny that. I was taking issue with saying that MK sucks in comparison, since for most bosses both classes are an 'I win' button. Out of the hardest fights in the game, I would say that MK has a decisive edge vs NED and BM has a decisive edge vs world 2 exdeath, which is admittedly a very bad fight for MK.

e: I will note that MK is so much better for endgame grinding it's not funny. Using Break Blade against Iron Giants is ludicrously good, since it ignores their massive magic evade entirely. Black mages are no slouch in this department but it's still not even close. If you want AP you can also Break Blade most things in the Void without issue, too.
e2: I had misremembered what works vs what doesn't vs Crystals, this is also a difficult fight where MK doesn't bring much to the table

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Powering up the Chicken Knife isn't that bad (I play on the SFC version w/translation patch), especially if you're avoiding most random encounters outside of specific grind spots. If you really want to power it up fast you can just use the goblin-in-a-box in the tutorial house.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Thieves aren't useless, but I would still put them in the bottom five easily when it comes to usefulness in combat. Dancer is way better as a Chicken Knife wielder. If it wasn't for stealing Ninja would almost be strictly better as a class.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You know your party is bad when overall things will be easier swapping a Red Mage in for a White.

e:VVVVVV In non-Matrix FFV, the Chicken Knife is fully powered up after 254 escapes, so if you require more than that they changed the formula.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 26, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Well, the scenario being imagined had White Mage, so you'd be able to get Esuna/Heal out of Lix to minimize the loss due to aging.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It looks like the page on voting for the run isn't up yet. I'm going to pass the time by explaining my intended votes:

Thief: Monk would be the more painful choice here, but I'm already familiar with the speed strats for the Monk earlygame (it was chosen in the 2015 run), and am a little curious how runners will balance speed vs grinding for items with thief. In theory, Thief allows for dashing but I think this doesn't matter in GBA? I'm not sure. Thief gives access to extra items and fleeing from random encounters, but is very poor in combat, especially since I'm assuming that Dance will be used for the Chicken Knife instead of Mug.

Red Mage: All of the other Water Crystal jobs are very strong, outside of Berserker, which I'm not considering since it was chosen last year. Red mage means the run will glide through world 1 after Garula. This would be the same with Time Mage/Summoner, and Mystic Knight would be worse for grinding but still make most other bosses trivial. Lategame, though, Red mage offers little other than Armor and equipped Enhancers.

Bard: I'm interested in seeing speed strats for Bard. The buff songs are absurd if you let them max out, last time I did this my nominally level 26/27 party killed Neo Exdeath before he got an attack off. It's likely that instead of doing this runners will just Hide from Almagest instead, since it takes a long time to really max out the songs.

Dancer: Who doesn't like adding RNG to speedruns? Note that Dancer is better than usual here since Thef can steal Lamia's Tiaras in world 1.

e: Voting page just went up!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yeah, Dancer's been in previous runs. I'm less concerned about repeats for Earth Crystal jobs since there are only four of them. Samurai is the only job not represented in the last three years of The Run, and I'm not terribly interested in choosing Samurai. Samurai ends up being kind of one-dimensional in terms of what it adds to the party, namely Gil Toss. Casually, it's a really nice 'I win' button for otherwise tough fights, but in a speedrun setting it is a bit underpowered UNLESS you have a way to boost your levels artifically (Chemist or Hero's Rime), in which case it loops around to super broken OP.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
People who really want that quadzerker experience can presumably still use the secret command.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
W2 exdeath admits very few tricks. He can be math'd or chemist'd but otherwise has very few weaknesses other than the fact that he throws out a number of spells that are reflectable. If you get a knight with a reflect ring to the part of the fight where he throws out the -aga spells then the only thing hurting you is hp leak from vacuum wave. However, dealing the 16k or so damage to get to that part is pretty hard at low levels. (I will note that you do NOT want to use Aging attacks on him in the SFC version because for whatever reason his damage underflows and Earthshaker/phase 2 -aga spells get turned up to 11).

If I have a big enough stack of phoenix downs and high potions my usual strategy is to put most if not all of my party in the back row and try to keep up with his damage until the final phase, and I have a character with a reflect ring for that phase. If possible, a second character with an Ice shield and Diamond Armor can survive phase 2 reasonably well. Depending on class this strategy can take a LONG time. The minimum bar for this working is being able to survive his zombie breath attack, which can do around 600ish or so to everyone. It's not the end of the world if he makes a zombie here or there, but if things add up you can be screwed.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a mystic knight with dual grip in the front row, since Drain Sword seems to do good work if you have damage doubled. Might have to switch back to the back row if my level ~25 hp isn't good enough to tank a vacuum wave, though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Angling Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, Fiesta time! Been looking forward to this ever since last year's ended. Going normal again (but risky) to start at least, hopefully this will be smoother than my run last year. Speaking of, got what I hope is a good warm-up challenge.

So I did my first Fiesta run (and run-through of FFV in general) last year, but due to a number of issues I had about 2 weeks to get it done. I know thread-goers can do it better and faster, so I'm issuing...

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge

Before the 20th of June, complete a run with the following jobs:
Wind: Knight
Water: Mystic Knight
Fire: Ranger
Earth: Dragoon

And I'll donate based on bosses defeated:
$5 per Exdeath
$10 per Shinryu
$10 per Omega
Max 10 defeats per boss

:toxx: me.

1 boss down, 2 to go. I'm on the trip for a few days, so it might be some time before i grind out the levels with which to kill the superbosses.

e: next time I'm going to actually prime the lamp before NED, by the time Odin came out two of the party were lying on the ground and I didn't have enough time to break blade the second piece before Almagest hit, which would have been a wipe if not for Aegis shield luck. Aegis shield was the only thing preventing me from wiping on Necrophobe, too, since I wasn't being careful enough with agility to kill any barriers before the opening flare/holy barrage. It might have been better if I had been on battle speed 6 instead of 4.

Very strong party, with both ranger and mystic knight NED should be 100% free if you have your poo poo together, even if like me you don't grind enough to hit X-Fight.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 5, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

derra posted:

Does Gaia break sleep?
Gaia does not break sleep, at least according to me experiences in the SFC version.

e: Dragoon feels good when it's being used to jump over Titan's death attack or over Almagest, but otherwise is a fairly mediocre but tanky unit. Boring af. Dancer is quite bad until you get a sword dance up item, at which point they generally become killdozers.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 6, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Angling Dragon posted:

The Show Me How Its Done Challenge
:toxx:

3/3 complete. Shinryu ended up being more of a pain than Omega, since the latter just requires x-fight thundaga blade chicken knife on a single character + level 40ish + a little luck. It feels like I spent more time fishing for a Dragon Lance than grinding for levels (Iron Giants + Break Blade is ludicrous for XP). Since I didn't want to actually hit the levels needed to be able to tank pretty much anything Shinryu does, I just used Jump on 3/4 party members and then started tossing phoenix downs like it was going out of style. Every attempt had a first-cycle mighty guard unfortunately, which increased the amount of time I needed to be stringing out damage before an unlucky Snowstorm or Atomic Ray wiped everyone out.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 12, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
!Animals healing is reliable enough if you have two(+) characters spamming it at the appropriate levels. Level 19 is what I aim for, since that is the highest % chance of Nightingale at 50% or so. It's only good in that narrow period between when you get Rangers and when you get access to Hi Potions in Regole, but that's good enough to carry a number of teams that would otherwise struggle.

I'm sick to death of fishing for killer bow procs, but there are a few situations where darkness bows are worth their weight in gold.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It became a bit smoother for me when I realized Crystal Dragons could be safely sleep bladed, limiting my exposure to one breath wing per fight barring user error. Still sucked rear end, though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Getting the Dragon Lance for Shinryu was way worse than actually fighting Shinryu.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Koobes posted:

since the berzerker pool seems light so far

Are you Fast? Faster than THE RUN? If so, maybe your Bartz named FAST can beat the game with the runs jobs before the run starts. Post your completion, and $50 goes to the festivities. (Max $200)

I know you goons can be fast, lets see it done :allears:

I'm not used to using fast forward, but I'm ok with how it turned out. I used a buttload of potions vs garula, w2 exdeath I should have gone for !gaia and ran out of phoenix downs but somehow pulled through. Rare steals suck but the lamia tiara was worth it (on the way to the boss I got a second which let me geodance for bit too). I lost twenty minutes forgetting the lamp entirely, skipped flare sword and never turned in even my one tablet. Somewhat satisfied with the result, although this party is paper-thin enough that I did a bit more grinding than I really needed, ofc.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I looked at discord time stamps, and I think DD's one try took roughly the same as magus' three tries, so a wash i guess.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I missed it, did they do anything interesting on Rugwizard or just silence blade since we're not on the mobile version that hates people?

just silence blade

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Apparently that's just what happens when you use Mute Spellblade on NED. FFV!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Serene Dragon posted:

I pulled red mage, white mage, freelancer and ninja. Any advice on any feasible way to beat Omega with this team would be appreciated. I can't really see one without some excessive grinding, but it would suck to lose my 20 runs over 3 years triple crown streak.

Red mage can damage omega w/o counters via reflected Thundaras as long as at least one of your characters takes damage. This isn't pretty, and it's probably a ton of grinding, but it's more plausibe than thrown thunder scrolls i think.

late edit: freelancer with ninja ... I recall hearing that if you have a double lance equipped with another weapon, omega doesn't counter off of the second weapon. So something like double lance/trident or double lance/coral sword should be OK.... except for the whole 95% evade thing. So probably not great either.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 18, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Oh hey, a job combo that either yolos shoat (or reflects delta attack) or has to grind enough hp to facetank an almagest. Happy hunting!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
With my blue mages I just budgeted 2 rods per gigas. I think I ended up using like 7 rods in the escape, it was overkill but that's what rod classes are for!

e: I decided to just get Aera in the library instead.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 19, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Posting this win in part since I think a 'any win before my first win' toxx is still active.

Blue mage and time mage are both ridiculously strong. I think I leaned harder on blue mage to the extent that a large number of boss fights I didn't bother using haste/slow despite how strong they are, since I was killing things so quickly. Ninja with a mage class (especially a mage class that unlocks a magic-boosting skill as early as blue mage) can carry for a pretty long time based on scrolls alone. By world 3, though, the ninja was actually the odd man out, since blue magic, time magic, and dancing were just too strong. I went up to 29 to have a tiny buffer to survive the 'gest, I could have been 1-2 levels lower but not any less without relying on gross yolo tactics.

I'm really not practiced with time mage, although I did notice that an absolute ton of bosses are vulnerable to slow (including the vacuum wave piece of Exdeath but good luck getting it to land!). I forgot to use exit in 2/4 of the relevant dungeons (I skipped the falls) and did the backtracking on autopilot. I want to get time mage in a party without blue mage so that I can actually rely on it. Maybe Old, Stop, or Demi/Graviga would get some use if in any of those cases I didn't have some nasty blue magic that trivialized things more readily.

Not terribly interested in quickleaking. There are some legit options to actually damage the killer robot like sword dance, double lance + chicken knife + guard off, scrollz, thousand needles), but none of them look reliable at all without a ton of grinding and the standard omega lotto. Maybe mighty guard makes a big difference, but I think I will have more fun with the fiesta if I just move on to the next party instead of spending more time to make numbers bigger.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Dance is annoying because it only procs 50% of the time. Rapidfire is annoying because it provokes 2 counters instead of one. Sword dance increases damage by increasing weapon attack and your multiplier, whereas rapidfire negates enemy defense, which means that rapidfire will do better damage on average. If you're reflecting targeting to avoid counters Rapidfire tends to work better, but I otherwise would prefer fishing with sword dances.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You can run the cyclone and hand parts out of MP as long as you play defensively. That only leaves the humanoid part doing Flame/Blaze as a serious issue.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you have whitemage, you can just chain cast silence on the rugwizard and then sneak hits in while he's silent. Unless you're like super low level you should outdamage his regen.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

My non-forbidden Exodia party was quite a ride.

Wind job Thief was quite breezy, in part because this time I figured out that with a +1 strength from gear Faris reaches a good dagger multiplier at only level 9. Compared to my FAST run, this time I really did need the giant piles of stolen high potions (at least 3 theft sessions) throughout world 1. After the Karnak Castle escape, thief also gave me a juicy pile of 39 elixirs, of which I promptly drank 13 of at Byblos. Chicken Knife Mug ended up being my most consistent damage in the endgame. Of course, Thief also let me ignore random encounters for the 90% of the game when I wasn't doing grinding or catching. My Catch shenanigans in the Void would certainly be way obnoxious without Caution and Flee.

Getting Monk for the Water job is always a little sad, since their damage starts off so competitive but gradually becomes mediocre then outright bad as you get further. I got to abuse counter strats vs Liquid flame and Kick against the Nakks but after that I would generally be relying on either my zerkers or my Chicken Knife user for damage. The exception was the end of world 2, when I had grinded Faris up to 37 (to use the Chicken Knife), at which point monk damage (which is quadratic in levels) was the best consistent damage I could muster vs world 2 exdeath, in part since Dynamo has a nasty habit of putting zerkers in the back row. Monk is of course a big bag of hitpoints, and I found that with +20% HP Bartz could facetank a full almagest at level 32, which was quite reasonable to achieve.

Berserker carried me damagewise for most of the pre-chicken knife game, and continued to contribute after that. Berserker is, of course, often a pain in the rear end for situations where they're best dead, disarmed, or even zombiefied (didn't want them dead or attacking shield dragons). I set up the Thornlet underflow but forgot that quake doesn't hit Merugene or Wendigo. Oops! I had amazing doom axe luck against the crystals and didn't need to heal any of them before they were all dead.

From my water crystal to the end of world 1 I was worried that I would get the lovely Thief-Monk-Zerker-Dragoon party. As it turned out, I was one job off, but my earth job Beastmaster helped a lot. For most of the game catches were just a luxury, but after I got 60 ABP in Drakenvale Beastmaster let me grind Shield Dragons, which got me to my planned endgame levels in a hurry. The Magic Dragon catch was quite nice in reducing the second phase of world 2 Exdeath, for which I had only the two Carbuncle rings since I wasn't in the mood to do any more grinding. Catches helped make Twin Tania reliable, and the Beast Killer did nice damage to the Almagest piece. I got a chance to field test my dancing dagger strats for catching crystelles to have mighty guard for Neo Exdeath, and it worked ok. The issue is that the Shell wears off when you get oneshot by vacuum wave or trolled by Grand Cross. However, the catch still let me have multiple controllable characters alive for 2/3 almagests, so it made things more comfortable at least. I should also mention that I actually captured TWO Crystelles since I forgot that I needed to have the catch on Faris the way I had things set up for NED.

This party had issues with a few bosses. Byblos took several tries and a little grinding. I was able to scrape by at level 17 mostly on the back of two fistzerkers and drinking elixirs like it was going out of style. Berserker fists were doing better than mythril hammers and also better than focused fists, I didn't actually test out the guardian dagger but I don't think it would have been great either (although it would miss less). For the drain phase I had to be patient and wait for crits or drains to not hit.

Even though I was ostensibly overleveled for them, boat Gilgamesh and Atomos ended up more tense than I anticipated. I reset the first fight for the former in part because Enkidu was getting off a ton of nasty Vampire procs and in part because I had forgotten to equip a Doom Axe. The latter felt messy since the last several times I've had easy Sleep access and other such times I had better damage. Atomos got off three Slowgas, too

Apanda and Azulmagia also ended up being fairly serious fights instead of the joke that they are for many parties. The latter was mostly an issue since stray XP had pushed Faris to level 38 so that she got tagged by L2 Old, and I had to finish things with whips plinking away for 300 or so a pop. I should have used my stored Avis Dragon to speed things up, but ended up using it as a finisher in the far less stressful Halicarnassus fight. The good news is that I still had a giant pile of elixirs so any tricky fights were still winnable by raw attrition.

Shinryu is fine with Beastmaster except I had no source of Blind or Blink (without grinding 300 ABP at least). Hasted Shinryu is quite quite fast, so I ended up doing a ton of Main Gauche juggling to keep the whack-a-mole going long enough to papercut him to death roughly 1700 at a time. It felt stressful so I probably should have spent my spare 50k on phoenix downs instead of a superfluous extra elixir for my final round of shopping.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 24, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

"At least I can guarantee myself some magic this time", she thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY&t=81s

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 24, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's not pretty, but with Dancer and those other jobs you can do a damage counting + timing strategy. You need to keep track of enemy hp (starts at 7777), and get a desired target as close to 3000 as possible without going under. Then you have your dancer dance at your target after it's attacked. If it's a sword dance, you should have enough damage from the rest of your party to finish things off (make sure you aren't using elemental weapons that heal the target). If it's not a sword dance, you might need to heal to keep your target below the threshold. You need to be at a level such that a sword dance + attacks from the other 3 characters is over 3000, though. Probably the Dance user should be either the knight or mystic knight since they have the best available swords (again, be careful with the flame tongue) with the other one using dual grip. For the others consistency is more important so maybe don't use the dancing dagger.

This is one of the more technical approaches, I remember watching Yaga do in for the Run. He had the advantage of a Tiara so the sword dance fishing wasn't quite so dramatic.

e: the less technical approach is to LET THE SHIELD BURN (or have a flame ring or two)

The blood sword scales off of magic, it tends to do worse than its stats would indicate. It basically casts a drain spell, so it can be resisted like many spells.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 25, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

This is probably the worst idea I've ever had.

Reset resets the timer (to where it was at the start of the fight), right?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

What level are most people when they beat NED? Ive played the game before and ground to hell and back for the jobs to play with them but since Im not doing that im not sure where most people finish. I was like 32 going into the void, and after getting rolled by necrophob have ground up to 37.

Team is White Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai

It depends on party. My average levels have tended to be in the 26-32 range for NED (not counting extra levels if needed for superbosses). If you have Blue or White Mage you don't need much hp to be in the 'can survive Almagest range', and it can similarly be dealt with by Bard, Chemist, Dragoon, and Mystic Knight. Higher levels will be needed if you don't have any such measures (or if you aren't comfortable relying on shell from a Wonder Rod or a Crystelle catch) and don't have any particularly tanky class.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you have Thief, you should be able to steal enough elixirs from the Karnak escape that you'd never consider grinding them elsewhere with almost any party.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
No, they both have the same restrictions. The difference is that tents only do 1000 hp and 100 mp whereas cottages are a full refresh.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
He's not heavy, so I don't see why Silver Harps wouldn't be effective.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

If I was willing to quickleak this team would have fulfilled derra's toxx (but I'm not so it doesn't). I was level 23 at the end, thanks to Exit leading to almost no xp gained after Drakenvale. The party just stomped w2 exdeath flat, so I basically went straight to the void, skipping Holy/Meteo/any summons past Syldra. First time I've won so low without Chemist (Bard would be the other hero for winning so low imo).

Since my total hp never exceeded 670 or so, I had to rely on chain-casted Shoats to deal with almagest. I set it up that I had 3 party members capable of casting quick + shoat, but it still took 2 tries since the first try had poor luck getting it to land. If I had been given just summoner I probably wouldn't have experimented with shoat strats, but honestly having quick access didn't help that much, since it burned through MP so fast even with the 2 gold hairpins. The second attempt also took a Meteo to the face at the end of both tree and NED.

Some notes:
-Summoner goes through MP like nobody's business. I was down to like 3-4 elixirs at the end of NED and was starting to regret using a few to top off instead of trekking back to use a cabin. In retrospect, I actually should have used some of my excess gil to stock up on convenience ethers instead. Gold hairpins are feel marginal to me for so many parties, but not so for ones with time or summons. (they sort of help for some of blue's heavy spells, I guess). Summoner is an annoying Water crystal job the way I play since I tend to beat Garula without having the levels to properly fight Shiva, so I have to trek back and forth between Karnak and Walse to get a couple of fire rods.

-Time mage continues to be nuts. I'm still flabbergasted at how few bosses are actually immune to slow (essentially only Liquid Flame, Rugwizard, Shoat, Azulmagia, and Atomos, and it's not worth using vs w2 exdeath, the 2 parts of NED that are vulnerable, and good luck hitting the superbosses). No Meteo meant that I was limited to Comet when I wanted somewhat efficient single target damage or to avoid Halicarnaso's counters.

-White mage is extremely strong. I'm just going to repeat my postition that the white mage early game is actually quite easy, just sometimes excruciatingly slow. The buffs and utility can carry pretty much any party that has a source of damage before Holy. The biggest issue I had was that I was so overconfident of the strength of Esuna I never bought any Maiden's Kisses, and so had zero when I got to Halicarnaso, leaving me with literally no answer to Kurururu! other than leaving the rift and returning.

Might take a break before the next run, which will have less magic for sure.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 4, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Toad status zeroes out your magic defense, evade, and physical defense, in addition to setting your damage to a comically low value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
For safety a pile of elixirs would be nice, and enough levels to weather his kicks well enough. Levels help vs his physicals and with your damage but they mean you would need more potions to counteract the effects of blaze, which will do 25% of maxhp every time.

Blaze costs 0 mp, you can run him out of mp for his other spells but he'll always be able to blaze.

e:Running him out of mp at the start of the fight by confusing him seems to make the fight doable at relatively low levels.

here's a link to a half hour fight lul

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2018