Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack

As the name says, clutch as gently caress.

So add another Forbidden Zerk Risk funbuck to the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

"At least I can guarantee myself some magic this time", she thought.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Saigyouji posted:

Needs more Geomancer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saigyouji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Script has been updated. It now tries to be a little smarter about which info it shows you.

That said, I'm not at all confident in my math to figure out when the knife bonus flips, so if you notice it being wrong, please let me know. :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLnvZ9mcVw

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHv5jgXz9I8 (I mean, yeah this should technically be reserved for a bard, but this sprung to mind on the blissful, sincere hope of success, only to plummet into complete despair.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY&t=81s

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 24, 2018

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

I've been in almost this same position before. I had 2x dancer, red mage, and dragoon one year. :negative:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, :toxx: time. I failed my Risk run last year so:

I will donate $5 (up to $50) for every completed run with a full strength Brave Blade to counter my cowardice in the face of too many Zerks last year. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

(Not seen: Faris, currently jumping.)

Also killed Shinryu, and I tried for the triple crown, but a Berserker just made Omega slog. Literally any other class would have been preferable there.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Detheros posted:

:toxx:

I loving hate the brave blade.

Seriously, gently caress this thing.

So if you get a Knight or a Freelancer and Complete a run with a 0 power Brave Blade I will donate 10 dollars per run up to $250, aka 25 completed runs, All I need to see is your NED kill with your Knight/Freelancer and your 0 Power Brave Blade.

:toxx:

gently caress the Brave Blade.

Super easy triple crown, even if I forgot to pick up Romeo's ballad :v:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

OzFactor posted:

My dearest Krile,

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days-perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more. It has been a hundred bloody days and a hundred terrible nights hence we took up this post in the Barrier Tower and I feel as though my heart is set to burst. Upon an endless field of dead Reflect Knights and Magnites do I rest my ever-weary head and dream of home. But, O Krile! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, one of them at some point will drop a motherfucking reflect ring.

:golfclap:

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

If the TOXX is still up, here you are.

Having a kid this time around for the fiesta added a new layer of tired farming. I am not big on forbidden, "as intended", I may cheese the gently caress out of the next one I do.

Might just go back to pure chaos.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Zerilian, Saigyouji, and Berenzen your Brave Blade Hatred has been noted! That's 3/25. (unless I missed somebody, and if I did please let me know! :))

Also since I didn't know that forbidden was going to give Gladiators and they can equip that piece of crap...

:siren: The Anti-Brave Blade toxx now includes Gladiators :siren:

Kyro could you please update my the toxx with this info?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mega64 posted:

I forgot to unequip the Chicken Knife. :negative:

Also it took fifteen minutes of buffing that I don’t really want to repeat so

You should be proud regardless because that's a genuinely novel and hilarious way to fight Neo-Exdeath.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Does Monk's Focus attack ignore Chicken Knife's bullshit? I've never heard it come up.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So two Cannoneers aren't great against Omega but definitely possible. I eventually got it doing the following with a Berserker, Thief, and two Cannoneers:

Important, Omega isn't immune to Slow so use Blitzshot + Turtle Shell and reset if you get a bad counter. Also big deal, counters don't trigger if Omega is immune to status (or it fails)! Spam one like Silver Cannon and even at ~1k per you should be able to beat it before dealing with another round of No Interrupt. I didn't even bother confusing eagles for that Float against that killer Earthquake.

All who matter !Combine, agility equipment. Hermes Sandles on everyone but Berserker (blind/zombie/mini/whatever if you want). Fire Shields on the Cannoneers.

Berserker doesn't matter a ton but you can try Reflect Ring and Aegis Shield, revive before Targetting if you want to try reflect targetting (use Blitzshot + Gold Needle for 3k each plus maybe Mustard Bomb). Might be worth it but keep in mind the reflect healing on Omega.

Thief can't Fire Shield so heal immediately after Surge Beam. The Cannoneers wait (using !Combine) in case they get Flamethrower/Atom Ray healing. Keep an eye on the No Interrupt so you don't eat an accidental Surge Beam though.

Pneub posted:

Does Monk's Focus attack ignore Chicken Knife's bullshit? I've never heard it come up.
From the FF5FJF Google Doc: "Not useful for the Monk himself, but useful for any of your other jobs that can equip daggers (so basically anything that’s not a White Mage), the !Focus ability bypasses the Chicken Knife’s !Flee effect."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah Cannoneer isn't like, calm or romeo ballad spam or flare xfight level good vs Omega, but having slow counts for a ton for being able to quickly push out enough shot damage. I spammed mini shot at him until he got to his searching phase, then spammed needle shot while the search was reflected (I was low enough level that thunder shot was slightly under 3k).

The flip side is that Cannoneer trivializes Shinryu more than probably any other class.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

Also big deal, counters don't trigger if Omega is immune to status (or it fails)!

Wow, that's a huge find. I love Forbidden if only because it makes me learn a lot of new things about a game I previously thought I knew everything about.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Cannoneer sounds a lot more fun than Gladiator. "Hey, I'm just a squishier knight who can equip bows (which miss), axes (which also miss), and spears (which are entirely obsoleted by knight swords)! Also, my main ability is basically a slightly better !Dance with a chance of failing completely!"

... On second thought, maybe Gladiator is a beefy dancer instead? That at least puts a positive spin on it. :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Finished my Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon run with a triple crown and a full summons list. That was a surprisingly useful team, with some really great synergies. Thief is a fantastic support class, Summoner's great for nuking things, Beastmaster is great for shenanigans, and Dragoon is really good at not dying.

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time:

I'm going to try something different this year and do a run with the jobs that I've used the least: Thief, Summoner, Beastmaster and Dragoon. I'm going to start my run as soon as the Fiesta officially opens. I'll put up the price of that party at the job fair (currently $8) for every goon who finishes a run with the same jobs that I do. I'll toss in the same amount for every Omega kill and every Shinryu kill, so if you get a triple crown, that's $24. I'll also throw in the price of a Summoner if you finish with all of the summons.

In the meantime, I've got some strategy to read up on....

I don't think anyone did this, but please let me know if I missed you.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I have not had a ton of time to play, so my run is going a bit more slowly. I am doing a normal run and started with black mage and zerker. I just pulled bard from the fire crystal. I guess that means I have to triple crown this run?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I tried the balance patch someone posted because it seemed like it spiced up some of the jobs that are bad/boring, and it seems neat. Monk is really strong most of the time... !Focus has a 25% chance to cast Rapid Fire. It also seems to have a (somewhat undocumented) chance to just make you waste a party member. Is this on purpose or a bug? I mean it could be on purpose to balance out how wacky Rapid Fire fists are early on but it seemed weird to me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How does Pure Chaos interact with Forbidden?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

SKULL.GIF posted:

How does Pure Chaos interact with Forbidden?

it doesn't

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Zarick posted:

I tried the balance patch someone posted because it seemed like it spiced up some of the jobs that are bad/boring, and it seems neat. Monk is really strong most of the time... !Focus has a 25% chance to cast Rapid Fire. It also seems to have a (somewhat undocumented) chance to just make you waste a party member. Is this on purpose or a bug? I mean it could be on purpose to balance out how wacky Rapid Fire fists are early on but it seemed weird to me.
It's a bug, I'll post an fixed patch later tonight. Sorry!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Leraika posted:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

I was worried about fighting Omega when Gilgabot decided to void my Chemist, but it turned out to be a non-issue. Between Slow, Mighty Guard, White Wind, and Carbuncle, I could survive its normal attack pattern indefinitely, and the Cannoneer trick Doom Goon posted allowed me to kill it without provoking any counter attacks.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Cannoneer sounds a lot more fun than Gladiator. "Hey, I'm just a squishier knight who can equip bows (which miss), axes (which also miss), and spears (which are entirely obsoleted by knight swords)! Also, my main ability is basically a slightly better !Dance with a chance of failing completely!"

... On second thought, maybe Gladiator is a beefy dancer instead? That at least puts a positive spin on it. :v:

Cannoneer is definitely the strongest of the Advance jobs, but I think you're underselling Gladiator a bit. The access to bows and axes gives you a surprising amount of flexibility, Finisher is basically Dance but better in every way, and Bladeblitz is the best physical MT ability while also synergising really nicely with other classes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also gladiators can use real armor and attack from the back row. They're basically just better than dancers except 1) no ribbon and 2) elements sometimes matter

EDIT: also you can save the chicken knife for someone else because finisher doesn't care about your weapon

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Do any of the gladiator skills pass on their strength?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can't find a single resource that lists the stats that the GBA jobs pass on. I might have to boot up an old 100% file and just manually check.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Anything's a triple crown if you try hard enough. (Not you, quadzerkers.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I can't find a single resource that lists the stats that the GBA jobs pass on. I might have to boot up an old 100% file and just manually check.

They pass on their stats to Freelancer or Mime after being mastered like any class, but I don't believe any of their abilities transfer stats directly.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Do any of the gladiator skills pass on their strength?

Nope.

!Finisher does, at least, have the fun insta-death when hitting a weakness property of level 3 spellblade, so Gladiator Lenna can destroy most things in the Rift without doing a single point of damage. :v:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cannoneer is definitely the strongest of the Advance jobs, but I think you're underselling Gladiator a bit. The access to bows and axes gives you a surprising amount of flexibility, Finisher is basically Dance but better in every way, and Bladeblitz is the best physical MT ability while also synergising really nicely with other classes.

I mean, saying "best physical MT" is kinda like saying that Oracle is the second-best staff-locked class. Technically true, but !Kick isn't exactly a high bar to clear. :v:

Saigyouji posted:

Anything's a triple crown if you try hard enough. (Not you, quadzerkers.)

Jesus gently caress, I didn't realize Dancers could get 6000 HP, even at level 99.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
hey red dragon, stop level 3 flaring yourself, stop level 3 flaring yourself

cant believe I was unhappy about getting beastmaster

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I could have triple-crowned, but I was just ready to be done with the game. :effort: I took some inspiration from Mega64 and did most of my NED damage with my berserked, level-boosted monk. Worked pretty well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Maleketh posted:

I could have triple-crowned, but I was just ready to be done with the game. :effort: I took some inspiration from Mega64 and did most of my NED damage with my berserked, level-boosted monk. Worked pretty well.

I often have the same issue. I enjoy the game, but by the end I just want to do the next run. All the interesting choices have been made.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

i didn't get gladiator until the end game but !finisher is basically !dance on steroids, its great. lost a white mage to the void but thankfully not the chemist. probably just going to go back to pure chaos though

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, what a good strategy for the Crystals in World 2? My group is geo, knight, mystic knight, and dancer. I got three reflect rings, so two of them are not a issue, but soon as the water one got mad it single attack did 600 damage where my party max HP is 1000 with no multi heal. I was hoping since it was weak to death that Break Blade would work on it, but that isn't the case.

Also why is the blood sword so lovely? I was hoping it would be a good counterpart for the knight to heal while the mystic knight uses drain blade, but every attack is a miss.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's not pretty, but with Dancer and those other jobs you can do a damage counting + timing strategy. You need to keep track of enemy hp (starts at 7777), and get a desired target as close to 3000 as possible without going under. Then you have your dancer dance at your target after it's attacked. If it's a sword dance, you should have enough damage from the rest of your party to finish things off (make sure you aren't using elemental weapons that heal the target). If it's not a sword dance, you might need to heal to keep your target below the threshold. You need to be at a level such that a sword dance + attacks from the other 3 characters is over 3000, though. Probably the Dance user should be either the knight or mystic knight since they have the best available swords (again, be careful with the flame tongue) with the other one using dual grip. For the others consistency is more important so maybe don't use the dancing dagger.

This is one of the more technical approaches, I remember watching Yaga do in for the Run. He had the advantage of a Tiara so the sword dance fishing wasn't quite so dramatic.

e: the less technical approach is to LET THE SHIELD BURN (or have a flame ring or two)

The blood sword scales off of magic, it tends to do worse than its stats would indicate. It basically casts a drain spell, so it can be resisted like many spells.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Rirse posted:

Also why is the blood sword so lovely? I was hoping it would be a good counterpart for the knight to heal while the mystic knight uses drain blade, but every attack is a miss.

yeah, the blood sword has like 30% hit chance. 99% of the time its pretty useless, but there are rather rare situations where its good. I had a run where the freelancer had the blood sword, !rapidfire, some way to boost magic stat and that did 4K damage/heal.