Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

rannum posted:

Oops I can't stop thinking about how anyone in this region even has Pokemon

They're all imported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hyper mode does some "interesting" things if you try making the pokemon use a regular move anyway. I remember the first time I tried experimenting.

"Use Helping Hand!"
"Screw that! Imma use Helping Hand instead!"
"...Guess there's only so many ways for a pokemon to be disobedient when they only know two moves."

It then proved me wrong by using its item early (except that it didn't have one), then headbutting me in the chest.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 1, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

So does the game stop you from trying to be an asshat that runs around snagging everything in sight or is crosspiece just playing as a stand up guy thats above that*?

*except when they're abused. Then thieving and skullduggery are ok even if the trainer controlling them is a stand up person who had nothing to do with the abuse.

Yes, it does stop you. Specifically, Rui protests if she sees you aiming at a regular pokemon.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

What I don't get is that you're stealing Pokemon left and right and no one, not even the owners of said Pokemon, seem to care. Considering they seem to be mostly normal people that happened to be given a Shadow Pokemon, you'd think they'd be angry and concerned, not "hey, that was a neat fight, let's do it again!".

Wes should be lynched at this point. I'd say the police should be on his rear end but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of police here.

"Mostly normal" is relative. Pretty sure all of the Battle Square trainers aren't above stealing the old fashioned way.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeesh, these guesses are getting crowded. I'm going with 16 just because.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'll toss my vote in for naming Espeon Carbunkle.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I actually used Plusle on my first playthrough, and it wasn't as hard as people seem to think. First the game gives you Remoraid to practice keeping an underleveled pokemon alive on the front lines, then Plusle is actually able to contribute to a fast attacker's sweeping with Helping Hand.

Sadly, I think we're past the point where Misdreavus exploits a hole in the game's AI.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

OgretailFood posted:

iirc, Snag Machines also brainwash the trainers(?) to believe they didn't had that shadow pokemon in the first place, or maybe that's only in the sequel

No, there's nothing like that.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mirakle B. doesn't actually show up after Dakim. That's just when the other trainers' rematch switches get turned on. And when the level curve catches up with him.

No, Mirakle B. shows up immediately after you're warped out of the cave. And he''ll trash you easily at that point if you head in looking for any items you missed the first time.

Also, I'm pretty sure lots more of the trainers have different dialogue. In particular, the Cipher Peon in the dead end. Instead of talking about Plusle being in danger while you're wasting time, she talks about the world being in danger while you're wasting time.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mirage

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

With Mega-Evolution, it feels like they changed their minds about what it actually was when they put it into the anime. Then the Rotomdex entries took it to the next level.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Ultimate Shadow Pokemon is a pseudo-Legendary? When the Admins are already using actual Legendaries?

I can't help but feel like Ho-oh would have fit better here.

Yeah, the "ultimate Shadow pokemon" plot point seems half-baked. Tyranitar doesn't even feel especially difficult to purify.

The Evice twist is fine in itself, especially if you're the kind of person who revisits areas often and kept track of how his "investigation" went, and that it ended with him storming off angrily offscreen.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I find the third Mystery Troop falling victim to his own side's opsec amusing. I guess we'll never find out exactly what the shadowfication process involves, but with the info lost forever thanks to Ein, Cipher is surely defeated forever.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, that was fun.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Edit: Never mind.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 14, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Haifisch posted:

You answered your own "somehow". Jovi is an annoying little kid with Japan's "little kids talk in third person for some reason" cliche stapled on top, of course she's irritating.

It doesn't explain why she'd be more irritating than Chobin, though, since both those traits apply to him just as much.

Ultimately though, Chobin is the more annoying one.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Eh, the other NPCs bounce off her appropriately. That counts for a lot in my book.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Since you asked how long that giant pyramid has been there, let's talk for a bit about the Pokemon XD demo.

In it, Micheal, Krane, and one more scientist (sorry, my memory's spotty) investigate the recently discovered Cipher Key Lair early on.
The first person they encounter is a just-recruited Thug Zook, who just got his Shadow pokemon (which isn't Zangoose. The pokemon he got here was given to someone else in the actual game). Of course, his level 28-30 team is no match for Micheal's Level 40 Parasect and Kirlia.
After heading inside, they start investigating the first floor. However, Micheal is too polite to ignore the confused workers' instructions to stay away from the staircases they're standing nearby. There is one apparently unguarded staircase...
Which leads to your first encounter with a ceiling PeonSpy. (Our heroes do not yet know that they're dealing with Cipher.) This trainer, title aside, is exactly the same in the actual game.
After that, cut to Crane rejoining you at a different stairwell, where he says that this has turned out to be much bigger and worse than he thought, so they're going to withdraw to prepare for a future raid...

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 16, 2018

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And to think, if things had gone a bit differently, that Shellder could have been Zook's signature pokemon.

Looks like you haven't run into Spy Targ yet. Trainers having more than one shadow pokemon was never exactly a secret, though it does change the capture mechanics slightly - you no longer keep snagged pokemon if you manage to lose after capturing one. With Zook's Shellder and Targ's pair, that makes three snaggable pokemon in the demo.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Haifisch posted:

CLAMP, no s. This bivalve is a big manga fan. :v:

Yeah, that sounds better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

I wonder how effective going after lugia with as minimal a team possible and then stocking yourself with revival herbs and literally using his team to wall itself would work. Would be a kind of thematic way to end the snag games.

As I mentioned earlier, XD changed things around so that Shadow Pokemon aren't actually added to your collection until you win the battle.

• Locked thread